Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My older cat is an indoor-outdoor cat because even my vet admitted he wasn't going to litter train. My cats get fed crap wet food because they got sick and tired of the expensive stuff (even though I rotated it) and just leave it sitting in the dish.

But that's not my real sin. My real sin is that the elder cat has been confined to the bedroom for three days to recover from something wrong with his foot (he's been vetted, x-rayed, palpated, their best bet is a sprained toe). He is doped out of his gourd. Yesterday I was getting up from the mattress on the floor, there was a horrible yowl, and he sped out the door. Well, he thought he sped, actually he limped and fell down. I HURT MY SICK CAT BY STEPPING ON HIS TAIL. When he was supposed to be on bed rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Cat Fortress 2013 is finally built, sorry neighborhood birds.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ikantski posted:

Cat Fortress 2013 is finally built, sorry neighborhood birds.

Pictures like this scare the hell out of me, because when I was in school we would watch this French movie "The Dog who Stopped the War", which is about two groups of kids fighting over a snow fort. The snow fort eventually collapses on one of the kid's dogs and the dog dies. Since then I've been absolutely terrified of seeing animals in snow forts. :ohdear:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
It's a kids' movie? :catstare:

Good gravy, French films pull not any punches.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

When I walk Lola, Jess and Kya at the same time I feel really pro. Yesterday I said 'walk on, bitches' about a dozen times with a really smug grin each time.

I just can't stop myself.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fraction posted:

When I walk Lola, Jess and Kya at the same time I feel really pro. Yesterday I said 'walk on, bitches' about a dozen times with a really smug grin each time.

I just can't stop myself.

Whenever I see someone walking several dogs, I quietly say, "Pull Daddy like a chariot!"

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I got rid of most of my internet friends I'd made before SA because they animaldumb. Guess that's what I get for keeping friends from deviantart from years ago. ^:shobon:^

e: To clarify I wasn't chatting with them much now anyway so it'd be more along the lines of "I cleared out several lists of acquaintances that are animaldumb."

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

RazorBunny posted:

Whenever I see someone walking several dogs, I quietly say, "Pull Daddy like a chariot!"

I do a lot of hiking and trail running on steep mountain paths and if I'm going on the really steep ones I intentionally bring 3 of my dogs so that they can help pull me up the mountain. I pretend that's not why I do it but yeah, it's totally why. My running partner has caught on and accuses me of cheating but I say he's just jealous he doesn't have 3 dogs of his own to pull him up the mountain. :colbert:

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
I think about my ex when I'm having sex with my fiance :(

edit: wait gently caress

For real though, count me in with the lazy litterbox scoopers. I clean Malcolm's box maybe once every two weeks :gonk: He pisses all over the apartment, but I don't care because we're moving soon and we'll have to get the carpets steam-cleaned anyway. Piss wherever you want, little guy.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
When I was in high school I wanted a goldfish and my parents said no. No fish.
So when the Ekka came to town I went and 'won' a goldfish in one of those sideshow alley type games (essentially a pool of fish, pay $2 and catch one in a net).
I bought a little plastic tank to take it home in, and crowed triumphantly to my dad when he picked us up from the train.

Fishie's name was Fluffy.

Fluffy lived in that little tank for a year and survived 2 cat attacks in which the teeny tank was knocked over and almost all the water drained out. I think the tank was just thrown it under the tap and filled up again.

Later I bought a bigger glass tank, filled it with some pebbles, some plants and a little statue thing.. and a couple of friends. I actually paid attention this time and used the proper water conditioner in the tank.
The two friends didn't survive long, however Fluffy lived on and had the whole tank to himself for the next year.

Then, I moved away to university and he came with. His tank was too big to take with me so he got put in a super large coffee jar for the trip, with me fully intending to buy him a new tank when I got there.

... He lived in the jar for a good 6 months or so until one morning he was belly-up.

I'm sorry for neglecting to buy you a proper tank for your last few months Fluffy. At least I never forgot to feed you and kept your water clean.
Also, you and your friends were all buried in a garden, I couldn't just flush you away.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Asiina posted:

Since then I've been absolutely terrified of seeing animals in snow forts.

Snow caves can definitely be dangerous, for cats and people. I always let the pile settle for at least 24 hours before carving out the cave and I keep it shallow enough that her head pokes out, so far so good. She hasn't figured out how to excavate it yet.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Asiina posted:

Pictures like this scare the hell out of me, because when I was in school we would watch this French movie "The Dog who Stopped the War", which is about two groups of kids fighting over a snow fort. The snow fort eventually collapses on one of the kid's dogs and the dog dies. Since then I've been absolutely terrified of seeing animals in snow forts. :ohdear:
That movie was french? Wow. I have always carried vague memories of it from seeing it as a kid, and no part of those memories include it being in french. To be fair though, I really do just remember the dog scene...

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

mickeymickey posted:

For real though, count me in with the lazy litterbox scoopers. I clean Malcolm's box maybe once every two weeks :gonk: He pisses all over the apartment, but I don't care because we're moving soon and we'll have to get the carpets steam-cleaned anyway. Piss wherever you want, little guy.

I just want to warn you that allowing/teaching bad litter box habits now will probably not bode well for you when you move.

And yeah, that's absolutely disgusting to just let your whole place reek of/soak in cat piss because you're too lazy to clean the box. :barf:

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My sister & brother in laws used to have a horde of guinea pigs they kept at their house - I think they had 18 at one time once, they used to just let them breed willy nilly.

They had a few favourites that they let in the house that used to run round and just piss/poo everywhere.. I was afraid to sit on their furniture (the pigs were allowed on couches too) so I used to drag in one of their dining chairs or one from their outdoor setting to sit on because, blech. I also never removed my shoes.

That carpet was manky.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

mickeymickey posted:

The pee has almost definitely soaked down into the carpet pad, so steam cleaning isn't going to get it out. In fact it will probably make it worse, by pulling lots of pee up into the carpet and distributing it more evenly. You're gonna get dinged for a full carpet replacement.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

mickeymickey posted:

My parents' had a renter who had a couple small dogs. They'd pee on the carpet, and supposedly he would clean it up right away. Hah. Not only did is soak through the pad, it soaked into the particle board underneath. You could tell the where the dogs' favorite places to pis were because the boards had actually swollen up with urine. We had to replace large portions of the floor. The owner had the carpet professionally cleaned, but yeah. There was no getting that out with anything but a prybar and hammer. These were little dogs, chihuahuas or something that size, and they probably didn't seem to be peeing that much.

What I'm saying is, don't expect your deposit back. Ever.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
yeah just let my cat piss all over the floor w/e

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

mickeymickey posted:

I think about my ex when I'm having sex with my fiance :(

edit: wait gently caress

That is really, really gross. Do you ever have friends come over??

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Anyway, ignoring Cat Piss Person for now, I scratch the base of my cat's tail even though I don't really know if he likes it, just because it makes him meow really loudly. Joke's on me, though, because he then turns around and does that grab arm - lovebite - bunny kick thing that kind of hurts!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Fraction posted:

Oh please, with a cat like that, who needs human friends? Us bird people give up really early on ever having human friends because of the constant bird pooping everywhere.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pile of Kittens posted:

Oh please, with a cat like that, who needs human friends? Us bird people give up really early on ever having human friends because of the constant bird pooping everywhere.

Yeah pretty much this, I'm moving this weekend and today's scheduled cleaning event was "all the places the birds like to sit." :saddowns:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

Anyway, ignoring Cat Piss Person for now, I scratch the base of my cat's tail even though I don't really know if he likes it, just because it makes him meow really loudly. Joke's on me, though, because he then turns around and does that grab arm - lovebite - bunny kick thing that kind of hurts!

You are sexually stimulating your cat ;)

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I intentionally encourage my cat to come and smell things that he doesn't like eg. mint, citrus, pickled onion Monster Munch, nail polish, just to see him scrunch his face up in disgust. It's hilarious and oh so guilt-worthy.
I also pin him down on the bed for cuddles, which he tolerates then bites my arms as his "safety word".

I've chased the ducks at the college I study Animal Management at because they came at me and I panicked. We avoid each other now.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
I trimmed Patches' claws today because she was growing fishhooks, and she squirmed right as I was closing the clippers on one claw. Result? I nicked the quick and pinched the pad. She bit me for that, and Undead Waterfowl finished trimming her with no further problems, and now Patches is walking around as if nothing happened, and I can't stop feeling bad about it. I hurt my kitty and I'm so sorry :ohdear:

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Pile of Kittens posted:

Bird poop doesn't soak into the carpet padding and wooden flooring underneath, though. :colbert: That is why birds are superior.

My iguana, on the other hand, has poop that is about the same size, appearance, and smell as mine. :gonk:

Edit for content: this evening my Christmas tree (a small Norfork pine living tree) fell over on my cat when she was playing with the ornaments. I laughed.

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 13, 2012

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

CompactFanny posted:

You are sexually stimulating your cat ;)

Yeah, I did kind of wonder "...Is he getting off to this? Actually, better not think about that one."

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
One time when I was cutting a mat out of my cat's fur, I accidentally cut a piece of her skin off.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My confession time.
When my boyfriend lived with his mom they had a rat terrier mix named Roscoe. Real sweet dog. He mostly got let out in the backyard to run around and tire himself out. As a result he still had WAY too much energy. Still, I only ever got him out for walks about once a week. He wasn't my dog but I was over there all the time and still feel a little guilty I didn't take more time for him.

One day I decided I was going to try my hand at nail clipping. Roscoe's nails had probably never been trimmed and they weren't REALLY long but they were enough that he scratched pretty much everyone. So silly me went to Petsmart and bought some clippers. Roscoe's nails were black as night and I had never trimmed an animal's nails before. We all know what happened next.
He yelped loudly and I was horrified that I had hurt him. It bled considerably for a few minutes and I was like :supaburn: all over the house trying to figure out what to do. The bleeding stopped and fortunately it healed on its own with basically no treatment and no problems. He didn't even limp and was snuggling in my lap like 20 minutes later. I know I probably should have taken him to the vet but I was young and broke and was just trying to make him pretty. :saddowns:

Roscoe now lives fat and happy with my bf's mom who has a mastiff and doesn't exercise either of them except to let them out in the backyard to chase each other. They have terrible manners and they are not my problem. I still feel a little bad for them though.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I put off getting one of my cats spayed because I was broke and she got out and had two litters of kittens. As soon as we got the second litter out of the house, we knuckled down on expenses and got her and our other female cat (9 m/o from the first litter) spayed immediately, but I feel pretty bad about letting it happen in the first place. :( we got a couple of really awesome cats out of it, but that was really irresponsible and selfish.

One of my cats is really attached to me but absolutely hates being picked up. I know she's not going to be sour at me for more than a few minutes, so I will pick her up and force snuggles until she growls at me. Then, 20 minutes later I'll do it again because she never learns, and her frustrated yowling is absolutely hilarious to me.

heatherbomb
Dec 24, 2004

aw fuck
someone gifted me a kitten my first year of college, and since I still lived with my mom at that point it was her house so I had to abide by her rule of Cat Must Be Declawed. It was literally get rid of kitten, or have him declawed, and I hadn't really been around cats very much so I didn't even hesitate on the decision.
I didn't think anything of it, and posted something about it in PI a couple years later and was immediately informed of how awful it is for a cat. I think I hid in my room for a week because of the awful guilt I felt for doing such a terrible thing to poor Edward.
All of my ex-roommates have commented on how skittish he is, it’s just a stake to my heart because he would probably be more brave if he could defend himself. :(
I hope that I have made it up to him by pampering his little paws off, but I still think about it sometimes and feel just awful.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

I step on/kick my three legged cat regularly. It's his own drat fault for all sneaking up behind me in the dark. He just doesn't get that I don't have eyes in the back of my head.

I'm also a one of the not so great litter cleaners. I scoop everyday (thank you Litter Genie) but rarely do a whole box clean. They don't seem to mind.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish

Fraction posted:

lol wow that was quite the flurry of responses. To clarify, my original statement was a bit hyperbolic. He doesn't actually pee all over the carpet all day errday (although he has peed on the closet floor on occasion). Mostly he uses the litterbox, but every so often he will pee on a bath towel we have down on the bathroom floor as a bathmat. He has also been known to pee on piles of clothes on the bedroom floor if we don't get them into the laundry hamper fast enough. Whatever he pees on gets washed immediately, and if it happens to be the carpet it gets spot-treated with an enzymatic cleaner. My apartment does not "reek of cat piss."

Thanks for all the judgment! If you need me I'll be lurking in the random animal nonsense thread :(

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mickeymickey posted:

lol wow that was quite the flurry of responses. To clarify, my original statement was a bit hyperbolic. He doesn't actually pee all over the carpet all day errday (although he has peed on the closet floor on occasion). Mostly he uses the litterbox, but every so often he will pee on a bath towel we have down on the bathroom floor as a bathmat. He has also been known to pee on piles of clothes on the bedroom floor if we don't get them into the laundry hamper fast enough. Whatever he pees on gets washed immediately, and if it happens to be the carpet it gets spot-treated with an enzymatic cleaner. My apartment does not "reek of cat piss."

Thanks for all the judgment! If you need me I'll be lurking in the random animal nonsense thread :(

I think the problem was that most of us non-litterbox cleaner people will immediately clean the litterbox as soon as the cat pisses outside of it (preferably well before that occurs) and the way you indicated it, it seemed like you cared less about the cat peeing anywhere than saving yourself the time of having to scoop up your cat's business.

But I am not judging dude it's your apartment until your lease is up, just don't expect to get any of that deposit back. :v:

edit: also if you failed to disclose your pet they will charge you the deposit on exit. If you have pets, they know you have pets, they just don't care enough to drive you out with the pet deposit. They will care when you sticking around isn't in the equation anymore. Learned that one the hard way. :(

moechae
Apr 11, 2007

lolwhat
I've got doggy doors installed in both my house and my parents (legitimately, we cut out the drywall to place them and everything). The dogs in general have free access inside and outside all the time even if we aren't home except for my parents at night. My house is at the end of a cul-de-sac and my backyard is fenced against three other neighbors I know really well and they all have dogs as well so I'm not worried about poisonings or angry animal control calls or anything. My parents live next to a creek and at night we get coyotes and raccoons (this is in the middle of Denver, 15min from downtown so people who let their cats out here are crazy, our neighbor had their mini schnauzer eaten a month ago by coyotes, much less cats), so the dogs don't get let out unsupervised after dark. The other night (9pm) a pack of four coyotes came up to our fence and we had let the dogs out for a last night pee. The dogs and the coyotes freaked and holy poo poo I ran all the way down the hill and to the fence (parents have a 1/4 acre yard) in 3sec, picked up Ike and ran back inside. I...left Faye. I mean, Faye's lab sized while Ike is beagle sized, and my mom was down with her, but dang, get fight and flight in you and I guess you see who the real favorite is. :( I feel really bad about it. Poor Faye. I love you, I really do, I guess not as much as Mr. Ike though.

Regardless, having doggy doors are awesome and I know they're frowned on here but I love them, particularly since the dogs can let themselves out while I'm at work and sunbathe, and as long as you're responsible with them and assess the risks (like us closing the door after dark and not letting dogs out unsupervised due to wildlife dangers), I don't really see the issue. v :) v

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I only have one litterbox. It has to be rigged up in such a way because either the cat won't use it or the dog gets in it. It is a huge pain in the rear end. I've tried the tablets and packets but nothing phases the dog.

I had to get the cat declawed because our apartment complex required it. I feel bad because she ended up tearing her stitches from being a holy terror at the vet and it seemed painful for her.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I like labradoodles.

Actually, while I dislike designer breeds and a lot of registered breeds on principle, present me with an individual specimen and most of the time I just melt.

I... I gushed over a cockapoo. :negative:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I have a confession. I have always hated Dachshunds, ever since I first started working with dogs. One of the little fuckers was the first dog to bite me and I never ever trusted them ever.

My biggest interest since I started vet school has turned out to be in neurology and neurosurgery. Due to their propensity to blow disks out, Dachshunds are pretty much the bread and butter of veterinary neurosurgery and it's a rare day when there isn't at least one (usually more) Dachshund(s) in the neurology ward at our teaching hospital, where I work part-time helping out with inpatient treatments.

Guys....I don't know how to say this but...

I'm actually starting to like them. A lot. Like even the little bitey lovely ones. MY WHOLE LIFE IS UPSIDE DOWN OMG

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

mickeymickey posted:

That's different, my cat would do that too especially when she was in heat for some reason (to spread pheromones maybe?). She's fixed now, so its not generally an issue. The problem is some pet owners really do let their animals piss everywhere and it can literally destroy a house. Since you were renting it sounded like you were destroying someone else's property, basically, and thinking you could get away with it by just having the carpet cleaned. That's why so many people jumped on you. I guess the lesson here is to be more clear about the scale of the problem?

My cat likes to sleep on my legs but hates it when I move, so when she goes to sleep on me I sometimes give her some gentle pokes just to annoy her. Also because my legs are going asleep.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Avshalom posted:

I like labradoodles.

Actually, while I dislike designer breeds and a lot of registered breeds on principle, present me with an individual specimen and most of the time I just melt.

I... I gushed over a cockapoo. :negative:

We had a cockapoo. I loved her, but she was a vicious, mean-spirited dog. She growled at people to show affection and tore my hand up more than a few times when i tried to pet her while she was sleeping.

She lived a goddamn LONG time though. 22!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Topoisomerase posted:

I have a confession. I have always hated Dachshunds, ever since I first started working with dogs. One of the little fuckers was the first dog to bite me and I never ever trusted them ever.

I hate small dogs. All of them. For some reason small dogs are always just so...hard. Like you pick them up and they're light but they just feel like a skeleton with fur on it. I'm not sure if I'm describing the sensation well, but I like soft pets. I like big floppy dogs, and I like cats because even though they're the size of small dogs they are squishy.

Small dogs are so uncomfortable to touch and hold.

• Locked thread