Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

On my first character I got a Black Knight shield from the first Black Knight I killed. On my Strength character I got a Black Knight Halberd from the Deeprot Black Knight and now on my dex character the first Balder Knight I killed dropped the side sword. I have also gotten like 5 slabs from the Darkwraiths in New londo without farming. Everything I want just seems to drop the moment I want it.

I think Dark souls likes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

So I guess someone is getting a vagrant near Artorias boss exit because that was a lot of souls.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

About 80 hours later finally beat the game. :toot:

I want to try all the different armours but I'm just in love with my Elite Knight Set and can't find any big negatives with it, if I throw on Havel's ring I can get fast rolls with a decent loadout still.

I gave a couple of tries at riposting Gwyn but then I just summoned Solaire and hit him a lot with my Obsidian Greatsword a kindly phantom chopped off a dragon for me, turns out Gwyn has a much smaller health pool than I expected and just deals a hell of a lot of damage to make up for it.

I'm undecided on if I want to go straight into my NG+ or mess around with a Sorceror or Dex heavy build and use some of the equipment I've ignored this time through and man up and solo the bosses instead of summoning phantoms for most of them.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Hey, I recognise this fog wall...

But something is different this time!

Woo, I did it, I'm finally here!

Oh nooooooooooo

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
I really didn't want to kill that Sunlight dude, he looked like such a chill guy that you want to cheer for. But I want that loving armor and shield, god damnit.

Oh well, do characters revive in NG+? If so, I won't kill him next time around.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
You killed Solaire? UNCOOL MAN

But yeah they all come back.

So I've found my new favourite thing to do, low level invade in the burg, then just start throwing prism stones everywhere. I had someone backstabbing me with a battleaxe (doing maybe 30 damage in the process) while I'm just throwing prism stones around. I'm just trying to make your world sparkly!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So, is there an all-around "optimal" medium shield for fast melee builds?

Baldur shield so far seems to have the best stability/weight ratio, but I'm not sure I want to try upgrading it past +6, as the stability doesn't seem to go up past 68. Spider shield looks great 'cause I'm a rank 2 spiderbro and I way represent with it, but seems kind of middling altogether.

Then again, that seems to be the general rule for medium shields that I've seen thus far. :v:

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
It goes up to 75 on +15 and it rules, I don't think there's a better medium shield.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Upgrade that Baldur shield, dammit.

That gets up to 70 or 72 at +10(I don't remember exactly, but its low 70's) and you can use sif's soul to make greatshield of Artorias, though with your dex build you probably couldn't use the Artorias shield. I'm using it on my str/edr/pyro build and it is amazing. Trust me, its one of the best medium shields in the game as far as I've seen.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, I loving hate Blight Town. I can barely get past the first goblin thing and its two dogs half of the time. I need to take a break and go back to trying it. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't hate the aesthetic and the enemies so much... other places I could tolerate more because they looked cool, but Blight Town is boring.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Man, I never really realized how stupid twinking is until it happened to me. I decided to start a new character last night with the intention of invading the Parish a few times with the Cracked Red Eye Orbs. Nothing crazy-- no Master Key for getting crazy gear or anything. Just rocking whatever generic stuff I find along the way to the Parish.

I had a couple fun invasions. If you hang out with all the Hollows by the Channeler, eventually your invadee with forget about you and start working their way to the boss fog. Then you can charge into battle with the rest of your Hollow buddies. It's pretty satisfying.

But yeah, twinking. I was invaded three times in between my own invasions by some overpowered jackass. Congratulations, man-- you beat a guy with a +2 Claymore with your +5 Lightning Reinforced Club and Black Flame. Bet you sure feel great about yourself. After he beat me the first time and I realized what he was doing, I attempted to suck all the fun out of it by just standing around naked and waiting for him to kill me with no fight back. I hope he got annoyed with invading me. I just can't imagine how people find it fun to completely overshadow people new at the game.

Shame on you, DressingSmile12. :colbert:

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 11, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Wow! Guess those Balder knights just love to give me nice presents. I knew they were swell dudes. :shobon:

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

sector_corrector posted:

Wow, I loving hate Blight Town. I can barely get past the first goblin thing and its two dogs half of the time. I need to take a break and go back to trying it. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't hate the aesthetic and the enemies so much... other places I could tolerate more because they looked cool, but Blight Town is boring.
Blighttown is easily the worst part of the game. If you have the Master Key (starting gift - or bought from Domhnall of Zena, I think) you can reach the boss gate very quickly from Firelink Shrine. Go to the New Londo Ruins and immediately take a right to reach the shortcut to Valley of the Drakes. Get through the cave with the trolls and you're within spitting distance of the final bonfire in Blighttown.

If you're worried about missing important loot in Blighttown, there really isn't anything that's worth the effort. There's the Eagle Shield (lightest great shield), Iaito (a DEX weapon), Power Within (Pyromancy) and a Fire Keeper Soul. If you can't take any more Blighttown, my advice is to take the short route to the boss and come back much later for the loot, if you really want it. Just be thankful you're on the PC version - on top of Blighttown's other issues, console users have an unplayable framerate to wrestle with, too!

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Kaubocks posted:

But yeah, twinking. I was invaded three times in between my own invasions by some overpowered jackass. Congratulations, man-- you beat a guy with a +2 Claymore with your +5 Lightning Reinforced Club and Black Flame. Bet you sure feel great about yourself. After he beat me the first time and realized what he was doing, I attempted to suck all the fun out of it by just standing around naked and waiting for him to kill me with fight back. I hope he got annoyed with invading me. I just can't imagine how people find it fun to completely overshadow people new at the game.

In a similar vein, I've taken to doing what I can after I put 3 black firebombs in the face of a naked, shieldless, boarhead-equipped invader last night for all of 10 damage total. I didn't feel like losing my liquid humanity to what I thought was a hacker, so for lack of better options I just alt-f4'ed. Cowardly? Sure. But what else can you do at SL 1, or any soul level, against someone hacking?

This will probably bite me in the rear end at some point because I don't know long my character persists after I force quit the game. I'm assuming not long, since I'm the host.

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Kaubocks posted:

I think I fought the same guy too if it was in the Parish. I don't think he really liked the fact that I smacked him to death with a +5 lightning whip. Granted the lightning whip was reserved for people who like to piss on others with twinked out characters. :colbert:

Playing a Belmont character in Dark Souls has been really fun. No shield, regular whip that I've been slowly upgrading and using a combination of force, firebombs and throwing knives has definitely made the beginning alot more challenging.

I'm debating whether it would be better to make a fire whip or a divine whip, or raise up dex and faith to use darkmoon blade on a thorned whip. They all seem to do about the same damage, but I'm not sure about the third option with dmb.

Definitely will suggest it to to others if they want a challenging gimmick run.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
About to finish the game, 100% Offline/Solo. This was one of the greatest games I've ever played. Just need to head back through the DLC area, try for that whip, maybe swing by and grab the large Divine ember I somehow missed and upgrade a weapon in each tier, then I guess it'll be time to end it :(

Anything I should do before placing the last few lord souls? Also, what items DON'T come with you to NG+?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I loving love two-handed weapons already :black101:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=112764654

E: Three-hitted the undead burg black knight. Why didn't I try this before. :stare:

Smol fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 11, 2012

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

About to finish the game, 100% Offline/Solo. This was one of the greatest games I've ever played. Just need to head back through the DLC area, try for that whip, maybe swing by and grab the large Divine ember I somehow missed and upgrade a weapon in each tier, then I guess it'll be time to end it :(

Anything I should do before placing the last few lord souls? Also, what items DON'T come with you to NG+?

You might want to kill all the NPCs to get their stuff before going on to the next loop. Some of them (particularly the blacksmiths) drop unique items that you need for some achievements.

You won't get to keep keys (except for the master key), embers, or the rite of kindling, so you might also want to kindle bonfires a lot.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

I really didn't want to kill that Sunlight dude, he looked like such a chill guy that you want to cheer for. But I want that loving armor and shield, god damnit.
Too bad his gear is pretty mediocre and his power was due to his skill alone!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Blighttown is the survival horror level. It is horrifying, but you can survive it. :eng101:

Ingredients for making Blighttown less horrible if you want to do it "right" (i.e. from Depths entrance, not be a wuss from the Valley of Drakes entrance): Poison resist gear (thief set from Lower Burg is good; you'll find the Dark set and the Pyromancer set within, both are even better), assload of Purple Moss Clumps/Blooming Purple Moss Clumps (farm in Darkroot Garden, tree guys drop tons of 'em -- 10+ blooming, 20+ purple should be fine), Rusted Iron Ring (return to Undead Asylum), bow and arrows (lots).

Take it slowly. The stretch between the first and second bonfires is easily the worst part, but don't be a dumbass like I was and attempt to rush even if you think you know the path. The monsters themselves aren't the problem -- losing your footing is.

The ghouls have a grab attack but it's telegraphed like crazy; they'll put their hands in the air and gargle before leaping. Smack the taste out of their ugly mouths while they do this. When possible, deal with the fat guys by maneuvering them off platforms and getting them to fall, as their club hits have a huge knockback even when blocked. Hanging out on ladders can sometimes get them to go over the edge. If forced toe-to-toe with one, keep your back to firm ground no matter what. If encountered at the same time as smaller ghouls, pull the much faster ghouls a safe distance back and handle them first -- preferably up a ladder.

Seriously, the ladders can be your best friend if you use them right.

As you progress, listen very carefully for a rhythmic thunk noise; it means a blowdart guy is trying to snipe you. Toxin is nasty (use blooming purple moss clumps to cure), but shields laugh at their tiny darts. When you approach one, savor the feeling of getting to shank the little bastards because they have no other attacks. :getin:

When you see a ginormous blobby thing with tentacles, shoot it from afar. It's immobile, but trying to take it out in melee is more frustrating than it's worth.

Once you reach the swamp, hang a right and you'll find the second bonfire in a tunnel near the bottom of the concrete shaft that you came in from. The swamp is easymode, just keep your Rusted Iron Ring equipped and plot a course between spots of solid ground. The entire area is a glorious, glorious lootfest which you should take at your leisure, but the first thing you should do is pull out your bow, go into first person, and shoot down the mosquitos. They respawn each about seven or eight times regardless of whether or not you bonfire, so take the time clear them out of the way before setting off, as they can sneak up on you and are annoying as poo poo. The spider-looking things are a joke, and you can farm Large Titanite Shards (which you'll probably need quite a few of not too far off) from the leeches.

While you're looting, I recommend un-hollowing to get invaded by Maneater Mildred; if you beat her, she can be summoned to fight the area's boss.

Good luck.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

ViggyNash posted:

Upgrade that Baldur shield, dammit.

That gets up to 70 or 72 at +10(I don't remember exactly, but its low 70's) and you can use sif's soul to make greatshield of Artorias, though with your dex build you probably couldn't use the Artorias shield. I'm using it on my str/edr/pyro build and it is amazing. Trust me, its one of the best medium shields in the game as far as I've seen.

If you are referring to The Greatshield of Artorias as a Medium shield you are sorely mistaken.

Balder and Silver Knight shields are pretty much the best medium shields, but Crest/Dragoncrest deserve honorable mentions.

They're all pretty viable, though. You can shop around just as much for looks, but I'm pretty sure anything within the 3-5 pounds range is solid when upgraded.

I use the Grass Crest shield a lot though since I parry way more than I block.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

Paracelsus posted:

Too bad his gear is pretty mediocre and his power was due to his skill alone!

I'm a collector, bad, good, mediocre, I'll have it all.

And yeah, the description for the armor, sword and shield were all pretty awesome, made me feel even worse for killing him. Damnit, sunbro, you should have just given me your poo poo and I'd let you live :smith:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The worst part of Blighttown is either the mosquitos being so loving hard to hit with a sword (and God help you if you've got a thrusting weapon) or those GODDAMN BASTARD DOGS :supaburn:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I have no idea how to even deal with the loving dogs.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Has anyone been having trouble using my second name changer? Particularly when it comes to being an invader or being summoned.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

I just finished Blighttown the other day and I didn't even see the first bonfire until I was on my way back up. Blighttown is terrible but I kind of got so used to fighting down there that I felt a little pang of regret as I left--I feel like I really got better at the game due to my time down there. Oh well, gently caress Blighttown.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AndItsAllGone posted:

I just finished Blighttown the other day and I didn't even see the first bonfire until I was on my way back up. Blighttown is terrible but I kind of got so used to fighting down there that I felt a little pang of regret as I left--I feel like I really got better at the game due to my time down there. Oh well, gently caress Blighttown.

There was a shortcut out from the bottom, you didn't need to go back up through Upper Blighttown.

Mazed posted:

When you see a ginormous blobby thing with tentacles, shoot it from afar. It's immobile, but trying to take it out in melee is more frustrating than it's worth.

There is a tunnel which takes you directly behind it where it can't do squat to you.

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah, I have no idea how to even deal with the loving dogs.

They're kind of terrible, I just dodge around until they breathe fire and then hit them. If you're two handing your weapon you will probably one shot them no matter what.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

What kind of armor should I be using with a fast-rolling Zweihander character? Grass Crest shield seems to be a must-have but other than that I'm not really sure what the good light armor sets are.

Currently wearing the starter Bandit armor.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Smol posted:

What kind of armor should I be using with a fast-rolling Zweihander character? Grass Crest shield seems to be a must-have but other than that I'm not really sure what the good light armor sets are.

You should wear the Antiquated Set and be the prettiest princess :v:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Smol posted:

Whatever you think looks cool and lets you get the roll you want. The only stat that REALLY matters is poise, the rest is just icing on the cake. If you want the most poise you can get(and for PvE you don't need it, this is just if you really feel that you MUST be getting everything you can out of your gear), you should probably go to the character planner, type in your endurance, and find the exact combination of armor pieces that gets you optimal poise. It will probably not be one full suit of armor. You will probably have naked bits.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Optimization is for little girls. Real men play barbie dressup with their DS characters :colbert:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Armor of Favor, Xanthous Crown. The real Dark Souls starts here.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
From should have the Dark Souls and Armored Core teams get together to make a sci-fi Dark Souls. The player would be remotely piloting a combat drone trying to liberate a deep space colony overrun by hostile aliens. All of the core gameplay elements would be easy to transplant into a sci-fi setting. You would upgrade your drone by accumulating rare resources and some sort of nebulous "energy" instead of souls, and gain special combat software instead of spells. Surviving colonists would provide weapons, armor and upgrades. Other players could be summoned by deploying homing beacons, and you can attack other players by hacking into their GPS.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd love for From to make a really spooky, atmospheric spaceship combat/exploration game. When I first started playing X3 and didn't know the universe that well I had some really tense moments flying through unfamiliar sectors with no real knowledge of whether I was going to find some friendly outposts or a bunch of pirates who would blow me up. That made me think that someone could make a spaceship game dedicated to being atmospheric in the way something like DeS or DaS can be.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Smol posted:

By the numbers? Dingy Set is great when upgraded. Good defense and great resists. The Crimson Set's good too, and much easier to upgrade. Likewise Xanthous set.

Depending on your EN/Havel's Ring, Knight Set/Elite Knight Armor is an option, too: It's heavier, but provides a lot of defense when upgraded and more importantly provide the most poise of armor that has no stamina regen penalties. They also look very cool.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah I don't want to overtly optimize it or anything. Just something that looks cool and isn't the Worst Armor in Video Games Ever.

E: And probably not the Elite Knight set either. I used it on my first character for pretty much the whole game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Since you're fast rolling there's not really a bad armor set.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Ninja set.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

There was a shortcut out from the bottom, you didn't need to go back up through Upper Blighttown.

Through the Valley of Drakes, right? I know about that one. I actually missed a ton of items in my blunderings downward and I wanted to go back up and get them. Turns out I still missed the Firekeeper Soul though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sarkozymandias posted:

If you are referring to The Greatshield of Artorias as a Medium shield you are sorely mistaken.

Balder and Silver Knight shields are pretty much the best medium shields, but Crest/Dragoncrest deserve honorable mentions.

They're all pretty viable, though. You can shop around just as much for looks, but I'm pretty sure anything within the 3-5 pounds range is solid when upgraded.

I use the Grass Crest shield a lot though since I parry way more than I block.

I was just noting that it can be turned into the greatshield, but that with his Dex build he wouldn't be able to do that. SK shield is also great but expensive to upgrade.

• Locked thread