Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I wish that instead of achievements you could just unlock hats for doing stuff. 100% NSMBWU? Here, have a hat for your Mii!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Strange Matter posted:

This is literally my experience. I remember I was at FAO Schwarz and they had a kiosk and playing five minutes of Bomb-omb Battlefield was like a life changing experience for my young mind.
I don't think we'll ever be able to capture that sort of awe again. The advent of (competent) 3D graphics was a paradigm shift in gaming that you can't really replicate no matter how many shaders you add to Mario's mustache.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I really think that with the WiiU Nintendo was/is hoping to capture the same magic the Wii had with regard to how well it did via word of mouth and the Thanksgiving/Christmas family get togethers. I think those holiday breaks plus the ease of use of Wii Sports were the catalysts that sprang it into being sold out for months on end. In the States, anyway.

With the WiiU, you have two different SKUs, an increased price and a poor job to properly differentiate itself from the prior console, much like what the 3DS initially ran into. It's not as user friendly as the Wii was and the go-to game that shows off the console's potential is only packed in with the Deluxe model, which I think was a stupid idea. I don't really foresee families trying the WiiU at gatherings and walking away with the felling of needing it immediately, especially when their Wii is sitting around and gathering dust.

As for Japan, they really seem to be moving more and more toward handheld consoles as their primary source of gaming, minus the Vita which is being eclipsed by consistent PSP sales driven by price, large userbase and developers still making high profile games for it. I'm a bit surprised that MH3HD didn't drive the WiiU to higher sales but I think if they release MH4HD or something for it that it'll send the WiiU to crazy numbers.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I wonder how many people are just holding out for Deluxe WiiUs in Japan, and if that is affecting the sales of the system.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Chaltab posted:

I don't think we'll ever be able to capture that sort of awe again. The advent of (competent) 3D graphics was a paradigm shift in gaming that you can't really replicate no matter how many shaders you add to Mario's mustache.
Definitely not; I'm just agreeing that as far as games are concerned being able to actually engage with the product is the best way to win sales. It's insane to me that Nintendo doesn't have Nintendoland Kiosks all over the place.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I actually think Nintendo is trying to avoid a situation where demand outstrips supply like what happened for the Wii. The launch felt like a soft launch; they didn't even bother to do anything fancy for midnight launches outside of Nintendo World ffs. I went to their gigantic launch event in Universal City for the Wii, the 3DS one they hired models to go around showing off the system and had them march around and had radio DJs in a bunch of locations, while for the Wii U I stood outside in the rain for a few hours.

There's an obvious lack of marketing budget here, to the point where they're obviously selling to the choir (people like me, kids and families that are really into video games, etc.) and have stock before they start seriously advertising.

Spending so much on ads then having no stock available burned them badly on the Wii; whether they are smart for avoiding the same situation or fools thinking they have another guaranteed success with the U remains to be seen.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Boten Anna posted:

There's an obvious lack of marketing budget here, to the point where they're obviously selling to the choir (people like me, kids and families that are really into video games, etc.) and have stock before they start seriously advertising.

Spending so much on ads then having no stock available burned them badly on the Wii; whether they are smart for avoiding the same situation or fools thinking they have another guaranteed success with the U remains to be seen.
There's so little advertisement that I have to believe that they purposefully are letting the launch go by quietly.

Also, ZombieU is selling pretty well, isn't it?

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
Re: Japan's "weak" launch.
They've sold out all the units they had available for launch, and resellers are getting around a 20% premium on the MSRP.
It's a little early to be getting all doom and gloom.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I went to a theater, may have even been a dollar theater I don't remember, and saw an ad for the Wii U shortly before launch. This is the only mention I've seen or heard about the system from Nintendo's advertising department outside of emails Nintendo sends me because I'm on like every one of their email lists.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Re: Japan's "weak" launch.
They've sold out all the units they had available for launch, and resellers are getting around a 20% premium on the MSRP.
It's a little early to be getting all doom and gloom.

Not to mention they had over 4 times more systems in stock as either the PS3 or the 360 launch, so this was a very good launch for them in Japan.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ohtsam posted:

Not to mention they had over 4 times more systems in stock as either the PS3 or the 360 launch, so this was a very good launch for them in Japan.

Yeah but it only sold half as the most successful console in history at launch so it's a big fat failure.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

Also, ZombieU is selling pretty well, isn't it?

If the Miiverse is anything to go by, it's the third most popular game, ~35% behind Mario on posts (EU region).

And yes in the UK, I've not seen a single advert for the Wii U.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have seen a total of 1 advertisment in the US for the Woo and it was for a dumb looking singing game.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
The past few stores I've been to had Wii Us just piled up. White and Black consoles.
At one Walmart, they had them tightly shoved in the bottom of the Wii U's section, Wii's section & the bottom of the Xbox 360's section (all the 360s were sold out) in addition to a big stack of them just sitting on the floor since there were so many un-sold consoles.

I think I even saw one worker using a snow shovel to move piles of them out of the way. They use them as stands to sit TVs on. It's obvious these things aren't selling. Some Wii U auctions at eBay that are being sold for a loss still had zero bids.

I still haven't seen any Wii U commercials other than the questionable Mario Bros. one. It has terrible music and shows what looks like the old Wii game. No advertising, a name just like the old system, and word of mouth that the system is still slower than current/last-gen systems as well as still not having decent online isn't helping things.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Yeah but it only sold half as the most successful console in history at launch so it's a big fat failure.

Of course it's not, but good launch day sales don't mean it's going to be a resounding success either. I mean, even the Vita sold 300,000+ its first week.

It'll take a couple of months to see how things shake out, but I'll say that based on the sales numbers so far I have my doubts that they'll hit their 5.5 million sales by April target.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And Nintendo being Nintendo, refusing steadfastly to ever say when features are coming, announce games, answer questions, certainly doesn't help.

The reason X box owners let Microsoft get away with almost anything while Nintendo can get away with almost nothing is because at least Microsoft tells you will ahead of time exactly what you'll get and delivers exactly that. Nintendo is all coy half promises and you'll find out when you buy it and not a moment before.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

The past few stores I've been to had Wii Us just piled up. White and Black consoles.
At one Walmart, they had them tightly shoved in the bottom of the Wii U's section, Wii's section & the bottom of the Xbox 360's section (all the 360s were sold out) in addition to a big stack of them just sitting on the floor since there were so many un-sold consoles.

I think I even saw one worker using a snow shovel to move piles of them out of the way. They use them as stands to sit TVs on. It's obvious these things aren't selling.
Isn't this extremely YMMV? When the original Wii was released there were stores that were packed to the ceiling with them while other areas were bone dry for months.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

So many, many posts

Is this a gimmick account because 90% of your postings are done in this thread with the rest spread around DnD and a family guy discussion.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Isn't this extremely YMMV? When the original Wii was released there were stores that were packed to the ceiling with them while other areas were bone dry for months.

I took his post as tongue in cheek.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's by no means a big fat failure, I have no idea why you're saying that. Like any console, you gotta give it a good year for it to get adequate footing before pronouncing the console "dead", and with a launch you have to look at the 2 or 3 week window to get a good idea of how well it's doing. I think the Famitsu numbers only capture 2 days worth of sales. How it does during the holiday season through early January will give a better idea of how well the launch was in Japan.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Legdiian posted:

I took his post as tongue in cheek.
I.. don't think it was.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Xenomorph posted:

I think I even saw one worker using a snow shovel to move piles of them out of the way. They use them as stands to sit TVs on. It's obvious these things aren't selling. Some Wii U auctions at eBay that are being sold for a loss still had zero bids.

I still haven't seen any Wii U commercials other than the questionable Mario Bros. one. It has terrible music and shows what looks like the old Wii game. No advertising, a name just like the old system, and word of mouth that the system is still slower than current/last-gen systems as well as still not having decent online isn't helping things.
Maybe you could help some of the unlucky folks out with an SAMart thread or something to sell them at cost plus shipping. There haven't been any available around where I am, and it sells out so fast that store inventories are flat out wrong e.g. Target's web site and internal systems claimed one of two in-town stores had 13 units but those had been long since sold.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dunno, the fact that you can get a Wii U on ebay for no markup right now is pretty telling.

And for more anecdotal evidence, I couldn't find a Wii for months after launch without camping out the morning shops were restocking, but every Best Buy and Gamestop in my area currently has both models in stock.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Of course it's not, but good launch day sales don't mean it's going to be a resounding success either. I mean, even the Vita sold 300,000+ its first week.

Absolutely. That's why looking at these numbers either way are a complete waste of time. It isn't going to predict anything. Hell, the Wii slowed down considerably in 2006 but by 2008 it was on its way to dominating the console market.

Crowbear posted:

It'll take a couple of months to see how things shake out, but I'll say that based on the sales numbers so far I have my doubts that they'll hit their 5.5 million sales by April target.

I have my doubts too just because I don't think the software support will be there. That said, I don't see any price cuts in the next year and we'll actually see the Wii U break out with can't miss games and content right before Sony and Microsoft launch their consoles.

So far I haven't been too unhappy with the companies deciding against releasing Wii U content. No Bioshock Infinite only made me sad because I love the Bioshock world but I doubt it'll compare to the original. If Spec Ops releases a new game in which the story compares to the strength of The Line and it doesn't come out for Wii U I might be sad. Missing out on Resident Evil 6 is great. I'd rather Capcom go back to the well and release Resident Evil 4 Wii U HD.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
It's going to take a year or more to really get a picture of how much of a foothold the console develops. It will be dependent on a variety of factors including word of mouth, press and the quality and success of first and third party exclusives over the coming year.

I don't know why people are so anxious to rush to judgement. I have no idea whether or not this will succeed or fail. I still stand by my original position that I hope Sony, MS and Nintendo all succeed and keep bringing out a variety of different hardware and software options.

I like games. Give me more games.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Louisgod posted:

It's by no means a big fat failure, I have no idea why you're saying that. Like any console, you gotta give it a good year for it to get adequate footing before pronouncing the console "dead", and with a launch you have to look at the 2 or 3 week window to get a good idea of how well it's doing. I think the Famitsu numbers only capture 2 days worth of sales. How it does during the holiday season through early January will give a better idea of how well the launch was in Japan.

I think he's being sarcastic since it's a Nintendo console and those numbers will be the new reason this week in game journalism why Nintendo is doomed this time for real before they find some other reason why Nintendo's downfall will definitely be soon next week

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 11, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gendo posted:

I don't know why people are so anxious to rush to judgement. I have no idea whether or not this will succeed or fail. I still stand by my original position that I hope Sony, MS and Nintendo all succeed and keep bringing out a variety of different hardware and software options.

I like games. Give me more games.

I hope all three do something different that makes people want to buy them. If Microsoft expands on the Kinect concept, Sony releases a luxury console where you pay $150 a game to get unparalleled graphics and Nintendo has the Wii U doing great things with two screens, it'll make for three different, unique gaming experiences that satisfy everyone overall. The last thing I want is a streamlined generation like the PS2/Gamecube/X-Box was. That was so boring.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Crowbear posted:

I dunno, the fact that you can get a Wii U on ebay for no markup right now is pretty telling.

I think part of it is that the reselling market is super oversaturated since people took note of the PS3/Wii flipping that happened 6 years ago. I think that coupled with lack of demand and consistent shipments this time around mean trying to flip the console for insane profit isn't as easy.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Louisgod posted:

I really think that with the WiiU Nintendo was/is hoping to capture the same magic the Wii had with regard to how well it did via word of mouth and the Thanksgiving/Christmas family get togethers.

The problem is that they haven't been able to match this incredible video that accompanied the Wii announcement. They haven't successfully convinced us that having a tablet on your controller can be Super Fun for Everyone, whereas that one video alone totally sold everyone on the Wii.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Did you know that Nintendo licenses shovelware for the console? I mean there's even a Family Game Party Miiverse community! This will drive people to smash their Wii U in anger in droves, costing Nintendo a ton of money!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It seems like the only frame of reference people are using for the Wii U's performance is the original Wii, to which my only reaction is "No poo poo it's not selling as well, what the hell did you expect?"

The original Wii's launch hysteria was pretty anomalous, and if that's your standard for console launches then my crystal ball says the next XBox and PS4 are gonna "tank" as well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

The problem is that they haven't been able to match this incredible video that accompanied the Wii announcement. They haven't successfully convinced us that having a tablet on your controller can be Super Fun for Everyone, whereas that one video alone totally sold everyone on the Wii.

Just show a video of some guy playing Mario on his TV, then his GF/kids/wife comes in and wants the TV, he switches the input on the TV to their garbage seamlessly using the gamepad and keeps on playing his game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I'm still seeing commercials here in the states which advertise the Wii U, make no mention of it being a new console, and the only voiced audio is at the end which describes it as "the new Nintendo Wii U Gamepad". :doh:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Polo-Rican posted:

The idea of a tablet on your controller does rule, but it doesn't offer as many uniquely fun-sounding gameplay promises that the Wiimote did.

Eh, that was the video they presented at E3, well before the console even hit. I think they more or less 'matched' that video during E3 2011. As for convincing people of the tablet controller, I think they also need to point out that the WiiU uses ALL of your old Wii peripherals in conjunction with the Gamepad. If developers can figure out how to work together in balanced harmony THEN it may offer just as many unique gameplay experiences.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The last thing I want is a streamlined generation like the PS2/Gamecube/X-Box was.

But that makes things so much easier for developers, both in development and in risk-management. If I have to spend $30M and can only get one platform out of it, then I'm far less likely to do anything interesting and instead focus on the biggest brands and the safest bets. If I can get 3 platforms instead, though, then I'm much more likely to take risks and do something interesting.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bilperkins2 posted:

But that makes things so much easier for developers, both in development and in risk-management.

I understand that. Developers want to take the path of least resistance.

However, if there's going to be three consoles on the market, I want them to be alternatives to each other. That's why I liked the Wii. That's why I liked how Microsoft tried the Kinect instead of just making a Wii remote knockoff (Move). The PS3 and 360 are pretty much the same console with a few exclusives on one or the other. I'm sure developers love that but for me it's boring.

I'm not talking what is best for the industry. Merely what I'd prefer to see.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

socialsecurity posted:

I remember getting in line to play 5 minutes of Mario 64 holy poo poo that sold me on the N64(it was all downhill from there)

One of my most vivid memories of childhood was the release day of the Nintendo 64. First, we're riding southbound on US 19 from the Toys R Us. I've got the big N64 console box on my lap, and I'm crying because my mom says I can't set up the system tonight to play it. (What the gently caress MOM?!?)

The second memory is me scrambling to get it hooked up in my parents room temporarily for some reason, and then getting to play Mario 64. It was such an incredible moment for me. I've never been blown away by my first experience with a video game as I was with Super Mario 64.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

bilperkins2 posted:

But that makes things so much easier for developers, both in development and in risk-management. If I have to spend $30M and can only get one platform out of it, then I'm far less likely to do anything interesting and instead focus on the biggest brands and the safest bets. If I can get 3 platforms instead, though, then I'm much more likely to take risks and do something interesting.

They don't care about how many "platforms" there are, they care about how many customers there are potentially. As long as each has a large install base, you can have a diversity of platforms.

Again, Nintendo is going out of their way to not explain that it's a new console or whatever. I'm thinking that this year they're not really trying to get the average consumer.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'm not talking what is best for the industry. Merely what I'd prefer to see.

Ah well then, that makes sense. As a publisher though, having three distinct systems with little crossover is a nightmare. Even the small-ish differences between the WiiU and 360/PS3 has killed projects I've wanted to do.

edit:

theflyingorc posted:

They don't care about how many "platforms" there are, they care about how many customers there are potentially. As long as each has a large install base, you can have a diversity of platforms.

It's about getting the most bang for your buck, so if I had to choose between 50M users on one platform or 100M across 3 platforms, I'll take the 100M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Do you guys saying you haven't seen any commercials actually watch tv? I only have network channels (abc, nbc, fox, etc) and I've been seeing pretty regular advertising. It's usually the one with the little boy playing Mario while his sister watches her tween tv show while the narrator explains what's happening "only on the Wii U."

Saying there's no advertising happening has to be pretty anecdotal to what you watch and when and where, because I'm getting them and the only time I watch tv is news in the mornings and football on the weekends-- everything else I do online, and I don't think I'm seeing many of those commercials on Netflix or YouTube (so many Internet Explorer commercials).

edit: It might make a difference since I'm in a metro city tv market?

• Locked thread