Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've had shot block bruises not show up for 2 weeks. Give it time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

So yeah, I love it when D-men screen their own goalies. Last night I buried the game-winner with a few minutes left in the game from above the hash marks. The D-man was directly in between the goalie and I, shoulders completely square to me. I fired it right between his legs and beat the goalie blocker side. I could barely even see the net, so I had no clue it even went in until everyone else put their hands up.

Were you playing against me on Sunday night? The other team kept winning the faceoff back to the point and their d-man kept firing a heavy snap shot every time with my d-men (yes, both of them) in front. Even after I told my d-men to stop this, they still kept doing it and it ended up being how they scored the GWG.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

I've had shot block bruises not show up for 2 weeks. Give it time.

I had a friendly fire situation happen during warmups last season. I took the slapper from my own D-man in the back of the calf and it hurt for at least 2 months. No bruise, I was so disappointed. I must have blood vessels of steel or something.

Bradf0rd posted:

Were you playing against me on Sunday night? The other team kept winning the faceoff back to the point and their d-man kept firing a heavy snap shot every time with my d-men (yes, both of them) in front. Even after I told my d-men to stop this, they still kept doing it and it ended up being how they scored the GWG.

Ha. It's pretty funny when the other team lines up for the faceoff in their defensive zone and they have a D-man screening the goalie before the puck even drops. My favorite play on an offensive zone faceoff is to sit at a 45' angle behind my center. If he wins the draw, he tries to get it to me for a quick one-timer. More often than not, the goalie is screened. Unfortunately I haven't scored doing this, but more often than not, it creates massive chaos in the crease.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 11, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Ha. It's pretty funny when the other team lines up for the faceoff in their defensive zone and they have a D-man screening the goalie before the puck even drops. My favorite play on an offensive zone faceoff is to sit at a 45' angle behind my center. If he wins the draw, he tries to get it to me for a quick one-timer. More often than not, the goalie is screened. Unfortunately I haven't scored doing this, but more often than not, it creates massive chaos in the crease.

My team just has the D man on the circle and then the W's express job is to rush up and stop the shot from the high slot.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
What is everyone's opinion on what the wingers responsibilities are in the defensive zone. Our team gets into arguments about it all the time because our D is terrible down low but they scream at us if we drop down to help them out or ever leave the point at all for any reason

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

toxicsunset posted:

What is everyone's opinion on what the wingers responsibilities are in the defensive zone. Our team gets into arguments about it all the time because our D is terrible down low but they scream at us if we drop down to help them out or ever leave the point at all for any reason

We just do a sort of rotation thing depending on where the puck is. I go back and forth from the point to high slot depending on which side of the ice the puck is on... and my fellow wing does the same. I go a little low (never below the dots) if need be, but the whole idea of staying high is so that the D can pass it out to us.

DISCLAIMER:
I suck at hockey, take nothing I say as legitimate advice ever.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

toxicsunset posted:

Don't come below the hashmarks. If you drop down there is no outlet for when you regain puck possession and you just become part of the clusterfuck in front of the net.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Bradf0rd posted:

Don't come below the hashmarks. If you drop down there is no outlet for when you regain puck possession and you just become part of the clusterfuck in front of the net.

It's just really, really frustrating when you see back door passes get through over and over again and your d-men both getting stuck behind the net for some reason and youre standing at the point (which has been completely vacated cuz the defenseman pinched in for the wide-open back door pass thats coming) with your thumb up your butt

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

toxicsunset posted:

It's just really, really frustrating when you see back door passes get through over and over again and your d-men both getting stuck behind the net for some reason and youre standing at the point (which has been completely vacated cuz the defenseman pinched in for the wide-open back door pass thats coming) with your thumb up your butt

I'd say it kind of depends on your defensive situation but in general I agree with the hash marks rule because I've seen my team get completely trapped in our defensive zone because the drat wingers can't stay up to help get the puck out (I am a winger).

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

toxicsunset posted:

I'm a lovely hockey player so I could be wrong but I would say that you should follow the D-man if he pinches, you're at the point to cover the player, not to guard the real estate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

I'm a lovely hockey player so I could be wrong but I would say that you should follow the D-man if he pinches, you're at the point to cover the player, not to guard the real estate.

Unless you're the team cherry picker, and in that case what the gently caress are you doing on your team's side of the red line.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Thufir posted:

This was always my argument but the second I follow him down they start going no! I got it! back back back! even though they clearly dont have it and oh they scored ok-

Note: I play in a really low level league so defensemen pinch a LOT because most of them secretly want to be playing forward I think

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
oh yeah then in that case follow them like crazy. They're just making it harder for their team to move the puck by limiting the space. The problem that my team always runs into is the offense having an outlet pass to the defense and the defense sending it straight to our net instead of being covered by one of our wingers.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

This was always my argument but the second I follow him down they start going no! I got it! back back back! even though they clearly dont have it and oh they scored ok-

Note: I play in a really low level league so defensemen pinch a LOT because most of them secretly want to be playing forward I think

Coming down on the weak side is actually good hockey. You want to constantly be moving your feet as the weak-side defenseman, transitioning from higher to lower to higher. If not, the winger can just set up shop on you and you're pretty much out of the play. If you get a pass as you come down, F3 should pick up your spot on the point. (Our beer league defensive core actually made a good habit of yelling "F3!!!" as we came down, so the high forward would know to head to the point).

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 11, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

D-men should pretty much never ever be behind the net. The other team can't score from there.

I'm a RW, and I always play man-to-man on the opposing D-man on my side. If he shoots in toward the slot, I'll follow him so he doesn't get an easy one-timer, but once he gets past the hashes, I'll let my own D-men pick him up.

Once I see us get control of the puck, I find a passing lane between me and my own D-man to give him an outlet pass, somewhere in between the blue line and the hashes.

e: VVV That's actually what I meant :v:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 11, 2012

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

D-men should pretty much never ever be behind the net. The other team can't score from there.

Thats not entirely true. D-men shouldn't persue a forward behind the net but it's perfectly acceptable to come in from the other side to meet them. Its bad form to let the opposing team set up shop back there and make passes to people who can score with impunity.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

toxicsunset posted:

Well the only thing is that following the defenseman in is a bad habit to get into because if you ever play in a level above total beginners teams will start to run a basic cycle and that defenseman pinching and you following him sets up the other D or the C to come right in and take his wide open spot, in addition to taking you out of the breakout and adding you to the clusterfuck in front of the net.

In competitive tournaments, we play more of a 'zone' defense in our defensive end. Depending on lines, we sometimes aren't terribly strict about what forwards have each zone as long as everyone is communicating properly - if we have a winger who is particularly good at digging the puck out down low or the center is late to backcheck, we just morph into an F1, F2, F3 line with F1 down low. But that takes teamwork and communication and I've yet to be on a beer league team that can pull off such things.

For instance if I am F3 and I've got a D on the point and she skates down low, I'll take a second to look around and see what the other D is doing, yell RELEASE or PINCH to my F1 and then check high slot if nobody cycles into the D's position to free up my F1 to go lower and get the pinching D. Does that make sense?

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 11, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topo speaks the truth. A basic cycle takes care of a lot on inflexibility of defensive positioning. If you back off when I'm behind the net and just give me a ton of time back there, I'm betting we find a pretty quick way to generate a scoring opportunity.

And the zone is good stuff -- my 5v5 teams are not good enough to do it because there's 1 person on each line who can't keep up. My 4v4 team is and it's fun as poo poo.

Anyways, we roll people in 4v4 when they start because they put their best players on forward and we smoke their D on quick turnovers.

It should be no surprise that you are getting scored on if your worst players have the job of stopping others from scoring and they're the worst on your team. Move better players back to D. Even 1 player playing correctly back there will help. It's nothing personal, if anyone gets an attitude with it try having one of your better offensive players ask the person you want to move up to come play with them. It'll usually make them feel better to move up to play with a good player.

Also, if you have strong players on D they can always rush the puck forward and you can teach your center or whoever to cover for them, which is a safer building block to learning how to cover for people in the defensive zone.

Zip! posted:

Have a quick look over at ModSquad Hockey - they have a pattern database so you can find the equivalent bend in other brands.

Yeah, I know what's equivalent but they literally don't make the EQ50 anymore and the equivalent models right now aren't on sale. I just refuse to pay that much for a stick unless it's on clearance. EQ50 was the sweet spot for me :(

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 12, 2012

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
sellouts hockeymonkey is having an awesome sale right now and they have some great stuff.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-stick-11k-pro-grip-sr.html

I've been using a pair of those the last few months and they are pretty sweet. With the discounts they should be around $100.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I have a question about grip sticks. Like the sticks that have the sticky stuff coated on the shaft.
What is the point of this? I tried one and I didn't feel like I could get my lower hand to slide and maneuver as I wanted because of it. Isn't the objective of the grip also defeated if you tape the top section of the stick for your top hand as well?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Well, I am officially the team curse. Of the four games we've lost, I scored in 3 of them (and I haven't scored any other times). Today was a really weird game, though. I got a penalty for hooking, they scored on that, and then managed to score 3 more times before we could get it together. So with like 5 minutes left in the first period, suddenly we turn it on and have a ridiculously good shift with everyone shifting and covering everyone else's position. They couldn't get it out at all and it culminated in a long pass right in front that I caught and fired into the net, top right. We got 2 more goals in the second and tied it in the third. Then with about a minute left they caught us out of position and got the go ahead goal, and we just couldn't get it back. :negative:

Still, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with shooting. I wasn't bending my stick nearly enough to let the flex do most of the work. Taking shots today felt really good. Now that I have that, my shots are gonna get a lot harder, and maybe I'll actually sneak a few in in games we win.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

AboveAndBeyond posted:

I have a question about grip sticks. Like the sticks that have the sticky stuff coated on the shaft.
What is the point of this? I tried one and I didn't feel like I could get my lower hand to slide and maneuver as I wanted because of it. Isn't the objective of the grip also defeated if you tape the top section of the stick for your top hand as well?

I *think* it's to help you grip it better with your lower hand (and you just gotta keep a loose grip otherwise).

Still, I know some sticks now have the "grip" only down on the bottom of the shaft so you can slip your hands easy AND grip it hard when you wanna RIP A WICKED SLAPPAH.

~*This post brought to you by someone talking out of their rear end.*~

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Always wear your cage, folks.

:nms:
http://deadspin.com/5967673/hockey-player-in-uk-takes-skate-to-the-face-and-holy-poo poo-look-at-that-huge-cut-below-his-nose
:nms:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

He doesn't look concussed, so...

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Yeah that could have resulted in a nasty concussion leading to CTE down the road. Good thing he wasn't wearing a cage.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

bewbies posted:

sellouts hockeymonkey is having an awesome sale right now and they have some great stuff.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-stick-11k-pro-grip-sr.html

I've been using a pair of those the last few months and they are pretty sweet. With the discounts they should be around $100.

Second-ing the 11K. I'm no where near you guys skill wise but I absolutely love the way the puck feels on this stick. The only thing about that link is that they're pro stocks, so I'd be afraid I'm just getting a repainted stick.

edit: Here's a link for their remaining stock that isn't prostock:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/reebok-hockey-stick-11k-sr.html

cenzo fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 12, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

sellouts posted:

Move better players back to D.

A thousand times this. I have no idea why teams put their best players up at forward. Scoring opportunities start with the first pass.

Though I'd add the caveat that "puck hog" offensive players are the shittiest defenders. Invariable, they play poor position, pinch too much, or just generally have no hustle. Keep these people away from playing D at all costs.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I really have a hard time with blade charts and really don't like buying new curves unless I have held it in my hands. Stupid skate shop only having so much of a selection. :smith:

EDIT: Every time I go by that shop I pick up a Mako longingly... I'm reallllllly tempted to buy it even though I shouldn't given the deal I can get on it.

I'm thinking Cammalleri curve... I like the Stastny curve on my old Sherwood but I do wanna try a less WICKED CURVE. Like everyone comments on how ridic the curve is. I'm too lovely a player to really know whats what but I'd like to see if a less exaggerated curve does anything for me.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 12, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

I really have a hard time with blade charts and really don't like buying new curves unless I have held it in my hands. Stupid skate shop only having so much of a selection. :smith:

EDIT: Every time I go by that shop I pick up a Mako longingly... I'm reallllllly tempted to buy it even though I shouldn't given the deal I can get on it.

I'm thinking Cammalleri curve... I like the Stastny curve on my old Sherwood but I do wanna try a less WICKED CURVE. Like everyone comments on how ridic the curve is. I'm too lovely a player to really know whats what but I'd like to see if a less exaggerated curve does anything for me.

Sweet talk dudes at your next skate to try out their stick for a few minutes. Unless you start tomahawking goal posts no one should mind letting you try it out for a few shots.

I've done this several times and all it's shown me is that I am not good enough at hockey to identify if one blade pattern is better for me than any other.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Sweet talk dudes at your next skate to try out their stick for a few minutes. Unless you start tomahawking goal posts no one should mind letting you try it out for a few shots.

I've done this several times and all it's shown me is that I am not good enough at hockey to identify if one blade pattern is better for me than any other.

The last thing I want to do is break someone else's stick... gently caress.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well then don't take shots, just do some basic puck handling. It should at least let you know if the curve is in the ballpark.

Or just borrow sticks you can afford to replace. :v:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dude you're not going to break a stick whiffing on a few wristers for christs sake. Just take it, take a few shots, make a few passes, and be done.

Don't take slapshots because if you can't take a solid wrist shot there's no need for you learning slapshots. Learn your wrist shot first.

Thanks for the word on the 11k bewbies. Doesn't look like either the pro stock or the regular sticks have my pattern in stock. :(

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 13, 2012

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Played in a charity roller game last week for Hurricane Sandy victims and wore my helmet cam. Check out my sweet dangles! Oh right, I mean my swatting at the puck....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mmboHvBTM

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I lined some Bantam Tier II games this past weekend with a Scottish ref who called the beer league "wobbly hockey" and I have now adopted this term because I am still giggling about it.

Your video reminded me of that term.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Went to do the old "poke puck and hop past the opposite side" on a guy last night, caught his trailing foot mid-hop, and wanged the back of my head off the ice.

Called in sick to work, slept through the morning, then (and this is the best part imo) left the house at 2pm, went to the clinic near by for a walk-in, and was home at 2:30 after seeing the doctor. I literally had not sat down in the waiting room before they called my name. Probable low-grade concussion, 24 hours bed rest, etc etc. The doctor made a Crosby joke when he warned that the secondary concussion was usually the dangerous one.

Charlie
Aug 25, 2004

It passed through unharmed!
There's always some sort of concussion talk in this thread. What kind of helmets is everyone wearing? There's a buy on my team with an old school tan vinyl nitrile foam helmet (the absolute lowest end), and I think he's just begging for a concussion.

Even in D3, I've seen some people take some nasty spills, so Santa is bringing me one of the new Cascade helmets. I really like the adjustable band instead of the simple forward-back adjustment that doesn't let you tweak width, and with Messier's name on it, it has to be good, right? ...right?!

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Pleads posted:

Went to do the old "poke puck and hop past the opposite side" on a guy last night, caught his trailing foot mid-hop, and wanged the back of my head off the ice.

Called in sick to work, slept through the morning, then (and this is the best part imo) left the house at 2pm, went to the clinic near by for a walk-in, and was home at 2:30 after seeing the doctor. I literally had not sat down in the waiting room before they called my name. Probable low-grade concussion, 24 hours bed rest, etc etc. The doctor made a Crosby joke when he warned that the secondary concussion was usually the dangerous one.

Shouldn't have worn a cage you pinko.

.. or forgotten to make that joke.

Hope you're OK bro, take it easy on the :manning:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'd have made a cage joke if the front of my head had been involved at all :manning:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

I'd have made a cage joke if the front of my head had been involved at all :manning:

Don't you know the basics of wave propagation? JEEZ.

When you bang the back of your helmet on the ice, a shockwave travels along the outside of your helmet. Once that shockwave reaches your cage, it reflects concussion generating impulses right into your eyes. Bone is thinnest in the back of the ocular cavity which means it's easier to penetrate your skull, turning your brain into mush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Charlie posted:

There's always some sort of concussion talk in this thread. What kind of helmets is everyone wearing? There's a buy on my team with an old school tan vinyl nitrile foam helmet (the absolute lowest end), and I think he's just begging for a concussion.

Even in D3, I've seen some people take some nasty spills, so Santa is bringing me one of the new Cascade helmets. I really like the adjustable band instead of the simple forward-back adjustment that doesn't let you tweak width, and with Messier's name on it, it has to be good, right? ...right?!

I wear a Bauer 4500, and it's comfy as poo poo and also really effective for taking hits to the head. Also, remember I have a head the size of a planet, so it's hard for me to find a good helmet.

Speaking of, I have to order ear cover replacements. I take it the fact I was easily able to find some means this happens often enough? The plastic there is p cheap.