Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Batman posted:

The Dell U2412M is on sale for $264.99 at Amazon right now.
Well, kind of. It's from a company that charges $25 shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Weird, I swear a few minutes ago it showed the $264.99 + free shipping from a seller after The Batman mentioned it.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

teagone posted:

Weird, I swear a few minutes ago it showed the $264.99 + free shipping from a seller after The Batman mentioned it.

I saw that as well and tried to order it at that price, but the order failed and the item was removed from my cart when I tried to complete it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I ordered a QNIX 2560x1440 monitor from Dream-Seller on ebay on Monday- and it arrived today. Perfect condition, no light bleed, no pixels and ridiculous shipping for $285. There was a note in the box that they've had some problems with these monitors in the past so they powered it on and checked it out before sending it-- not sure if they gave me one with 0 dead pixels on purpose or not though.

It looks even nicer than my Yamakasi 2560x1440, and I was floored at how awesome it was.

The Batman
Sep 11, 2001

The Dark Knight

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I ordered one as soon as I saw it, and it had free standard shipping. My total was $264.99 shipped. I got my tracking number today, and it shipped out via Fedex.

The price jumped back to $297 when I checked it again a couple hours later.

The Batman fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 7, 2012

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I am overwhelmed by the plethora of adapters/cables in the market. I simply want to hook my Wii up to the awesome aforementioned Dell monitor (dvi/displayport). What is the most simple solution?

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

The Batman posted:

I ordered one as soon as I saw it, and it had free standard shipping. My total was $264.99 shipped. I got my tracking number today, and it shipped out via Fedex.

The price jumped back to $297 when I checked it again a couple hours later.

I bet what happened is that the shady $25 shipping guys lowered it to $264, then the people you ordered it from's pricing-bot auto-lowered theirs to $264 w/free shipping to match, and then they realized their error and raised it again. The $264-with $25 shipping is still on there.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Progression Please posted:

I am overwhelmed by the plethora of adapters/cables in the market. I simply want to hook my Wii up to the awesome aforementioned Dell monitor (dvi/displayport). What is the most simple solution?

To a U2312HM/U2412M? Won't happen without an active adapter. Lots of places sell pre-packaged HDMI adapters for the Wii for about $30. Then, if you want to plug via DVI rather than HDMI, get a simple HDMI to DVI pin converter.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Got a 2412M, loving it except corner colour bleed during black backgrounds. I'm always a dell fan, like the nice finish, USB ports (too bad no 3.0), strong swivel and all. It's not as cheap as the 16:9 version, but long term wise, I'm just trying to justify the extra cost.

People in the office are floored by its size but hopefully I can start an example and spoil everyone to use larger monitors and abandon small square horrors. Still a slave to the lovely print server :eng99:

Wanted to get 2 with dual mounts and Ergotron but hard to find the mounts and am settling with one. For my home project though, triple 2412M. 7950 should be fine right?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

caberham posted:

Wanted to get 2 with dual mounts and Ergotron but hard to find the mounts and am settling with one. For my home project though, triple 2412M. 7950 should be fine right?
I run basically a triple 1920x1200 setup, and a 7950 is fine for powering it as long as you don't have any illusions about actually gaming like that. But gaming on one of them while the other two are whatever else works wonderfully.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I really like the color and clarity on my U2412m, and the refresh rate/input lag is more than sufficient enough for FPS gaming. I can even overlook the moderate BLB that has mellowed slightly over a week. But the PWM it uses is giving me god-awful eyestrain on any setting I've tested (including turning it to max brightness and then using video card drivers to darken which looks super ugly in comparison). One shouldn't be able to feel their eyesockets after 15 minutes of trying to read text. This is unfortunate. Another factor I didn't even realize I'm going to need to take into account when buying a new monitor in the future, barf.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

I run basically a triple 1920x1200 setup, and a 7950 is fine for powering it as long as you don't have any illusions about actually gaming like that. But gaming on one of them while the other two are whatever else works wonderfully.

My dreams are crushed :qq: Getting a triple monitor gaming card is just too expensive :eng99:

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Factory Factory posted:

To a U2312HM/U2412M? Won't happen without an active adapter. Lots of places sell pre-packaged HDMI adapters for the Wii for about $30. Then, if you want to plug via DVI rather than HDMI, get a simple HDMI to DVI pin converter.

Thank you for the response. my u2412 comes tomorrow, thanks to this thread and the sys rec. thread I picked what sounds like a pretty nice monitor, thanks for enlightening me!

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Thinking about buying a monitor for 1080p gaming, currently playing on 1280x1024 and after using a laptop with a widescreen 1080p display, it makes everything seem pretty blurry. I'd like to keep it relatively cheap, which leaves me looking at 22-23" monitors. This one has a nice sale for $130 after a rebate, which is a little less than the 22" monitors I was checking out. Is it likely I'll be able to find a lower price on the kind of monitor I'm looking for before Christmas or is this pretty much the standard.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I want to hook up a PC with only DVI ports up to a TV with a HDMI port to use as a media centre. Will this work with one of the cheap passive pin adaptors or not?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

chippy posted:

I want to hook up a PC with only DVI ports up to a TV with a HDMI port to use as a media centre. Will this work with one of the cheap passive pin adaptors or not?

Yes.

I can't say with confidence whether you'll get audio, but if it works on my old 260/216 in Linux* it'll probably work on whatever you got. If it doesn't pipe audio through on one DVI out, try the other.

*With the onboard S/PDIF wired into it, anyway. The 260/216 comes from back before nVidia cards had their own audio processors (they've had 'em for three generations, and AMD cards have for five), so you shouldn't have to do this.

EDIT: Are you sure it's the 2 DVI ports and that's it, nothing you don't recognize? You might have mini-HDMI, in which case you can just use the mini-HDMI to full HDMI adapter that almost inevitably came with such a card (or blow all of five bucks on one at Monoprice) and that would be your go-to. There's also DisplayPort, but if you have one of those you don't want to deal with that.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 7, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Pretty sure, yeah. It's an old card, an 8800GTX. I'm pretty sure it just has the 2 x DVI ports on it. Lack of sound is no issue, I can just hook up some speakers to the sound card, I think the TV might actually have line-ins on it. I prefer separate speakers to using the weedy built in ones you normally get on TVs anyway.

I thought it was possible but I read this on http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/a/HDMI.htm:

quote:

In addition, while a monitor with a DVI connector can connect to a HDMI graphics port on the computer, a HDMI monitor cannot connect to a DVI graphics port on the computer.

So I thought I'd check with you guys, I don't have the TV yet (but I don't have a choice over which I'm getting, it's second hand, I'm just waiting for it to turn up), so I thought if I was going to need to buy a newer card for it with HDMI out I could do it in advance.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

chippy posted:

Pretty sure, yeah. It's an old card, an 8800GTX. I'm pretty sure it just has the 2 x DVI ports on it. Lack of sound is no issue, I can just hook up some speakers to the sound card, I think the TV might actually have line-ins on it. I prefer separate speakers to using the weedy built in ones you normally get on TVs anyway.

I thought it was possible but I read this on http://compreviews.about.com/od/video/a/HDMI.htm:

So I thought I'd check with you guys, I don't have the TV yet (but I don't have a choice over which I'm getting, it's second hand, I'm just waiting for it to turn up), so I thought if I was going to need to buy a newer card for it with HDMI out I could do it in advance.

Wait what? Maybe I'm misinterpreting that quote but I hooked up my TV to my video card with a dvi to hdmi cable no problem. For sound, older card have a two pin connector for audio IN. You can take spdif out from your motherboard or soundcard, plug it into the videocard, and the video card will send sound over the dvi to hdmi cable to have sound and video going into your tv. True story.

Newer Nvidia card don't need to do the audio pins. They just do it automagically. I have a gtx 260 that requires the cable and a gt220 that does not. So somewhere in that time frame they switched.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

chippy posted:

about.com

Well there's your problem. I don't know about anyone else's experience with About, but I've found that the vast majority of articles there are either completely made up or completely cribbed from Wikipedia.

It's denying the existence of the setup I (EDIT: and Coredump) described to you. People hook things up like that, and successfully, all the time.

To be fair, the author probably got their rear end bit by HDCP, but a complete lack of HDCP compatibility hasn't been an issue for close to a decade. (A bunch of other things can make it fail, because HDCP is pretty much a huge middle finger directed at the consumer base by the media cartels, but that's beside the point, and it shouldn't affect you.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 7, 2012

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, I thought it sounded suspect. Thanks for clearing it up.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

xie posted:

I'm curious, do you mean no problem with gaming, or just desktop usage? Because I'd expect any modern card to be able to push desktop graphics at that resolution. But I'm curious if games just scale, or what - how does that work?

I'd love to ditch my 23"/21" dual TN panel setup and get a solid IPS monitor on my new desk.

Gaming - so far the 560's been able to display most games at the native resolution on high detail. Most modern AAA games seem to have a 2560 x 1440 option, otherwise you could just stretch a lower 16:9 resolution or game in a window.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Ort posted:

Thinking about buying a monitor for 1080p gaming, currently playing on 1280x1024 and after using a laptop with a widescreen 1080p display, it makes everything seem pretty blurry. I'd like to keep it relatively cheap, which leaves me looking at 22-23" monitors. This one has a nice sale for $130 after a rebate, which is a little less than the 22" monitors I was checking out. Is it likely I'll be able to find a lower price on the kind of monitor I'm looking for before Christmas or is this pretty much the standard.

Would also like to add to this about troubles finding a glossy finish monitor. It's proving quite difficult to even identify if a monitor is glossy display or not (which I prefer) - should I just give up on that for monitors?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Thewittyname posted:

Gaming - so far the 560's been able to display most games at the native resolution on high detail. Most modern AAA games seem to have a 2560 x 1440 option, otherwise you could just stretch a lower 16:9 resolution or game in a window.

Gah you're killing me. I literally just picked up a 560ti and an SSD, and I had talked myself out of a big monitor because I couldn't afford a video card to game at that resolution.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

A 560ti can't drive modern graphically intensive games at that resolution and reliably stay over 30fps at medium settings, so don't be misinformed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

xie posted:

Gah you're killing me. I literally just picked up a 560ti and an SSD, and I had talked myself out of a big monitor because I couldn't afford a video card to game at that resolution.
Do you have a 1GB or 2GB version? The amount of VRAM is more important at higher resolutions and 1GB might struggle.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Newegg has an Asus 23" for $150 I've been looking for a new monitor for gaming. How's it look? Worth picking up? I was planning on getting this 27" Hanns G but I'm assuming there's a reason the price is so low for a monitor that size?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254093

e: I'm guessing the Hanns G's picture is poo poo at that size with that resolution? Think I'll go with the Asus...

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 8, 2012

BeardMilk
Apr 22, 2004
Is there any real difference in these two monitors besides the aspect ratios that I'm missing?

Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" IPS LED LCD Monitor - 16:9

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24" LED LCD Monitor - 16:10

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

On the one hand 1920x1200 lets you have 1080p + interface; more useful for video and document editing, but doesn't hurt if you're doing other things. On the other the U2412M can't do source ratio or 16:9; not a problem for a PC or a 360 but a PS3 will be stretched and you won't be able to do anything about it. Aside from that they're basically equal.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Glen Goobersmooches posted:

A 560ti can't drive modern graphically intensive games at that resolution and reliably stay over 30fps at medium settings, so don't be misinformed.

I don't know about Battlefield 3 or Far Cry 3 or Metro 2033, but yeah, I've been able to drive most of the AAA games released in the last few years on high with at least 30fps. Examples include: Arkham City (but not using DX11), Borderlands 2, Deus Ex: HR and Spec Ops: The Line. Two things really help, 1) turning off ambient occlusion and 2) turning down anti-aliasing. I usually can't tell a big difference when AO is off, and 8x or 16x levels of AA are unnecessary at higher resolutions.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Thewittyname posted:

I don't know about Battlefield 3 or Far Cry 3 or Metro 2033, but yeah, I've been able to drive most of the AAA games released in the last few years on high with at least 30fps. Examples include: Arkham City (but not using DX11), Borderlands 2, Deus Ex: HR and Spec Ops: The Line. Two things really help, 1) turning off ambient occlusion and 2) turning down anti-aliasing. I usually can't tell a big difference when AO is off, and 8x or 16x levels of AA are unnecessary at higher resolutions.
Those are what I mean when I say graphically intensive. DX9 games are primarily developed for consoles so they simply aren't as demanding. That said, I don't think 30fps is a suitable target to shoot for, because it's the bare minimum of what most people would consider playable, and if you're skirting the line constantly any dips are going to cause the action to become perceptually choppy, and that's only if you don't feel 30 fps already is chunky.

AA and 16x Anisitropic always graphically matter, they're never not going to make any game look significantly better. Whether or not you can live without them is another matter, but writing them off as trivial kind of betrays the point I want to make here. If you want to game at above budget settings in 2560, don't buy a 560ti.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
It's OK, I think I've convinced myself that I don't need a 27" monitor on my desk anyway and will probably just sell these 2 and go for a solid 24" config. I like the Asus IPS 24" a lot from what I've seen.

Slark
Nov 29, 2012

Fast as Wind
Silent as Forest
Ferocious as Fire
Immovable as Mountain
I'm just thinking about buying an IPS display for my desktop for gaming. I used to think IPS is better than TN due to its better color production, now it seems like I should buy a high refresh rate TN panel display instead.

Thewittyname posted:

I guess for now 660ti will do a better job and it's still relatively quite cheap among its generation, just like 560ti one or two years ago.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I went with cheap IPS and I've had zero issues with refresh rate. No regrets. If you're not in the PROGAMING crowd you're probably fine with it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Slark posted:

I'm just thinking about buying an IPS display for my desktop for gaming. I used to think IPS is better than TN due to its better color production, now it seems like I should buy a high refresh rate TN panel display instead.
If you haven't been looking at your current monitor and going "drat, I wish I had a higher refresh rate!" on a regular basis, then I'd tend to suggest IPS over 120Hz TN's. Especially since to see any benefit from 120Hz you have to actually have a rig capable of pushing 120 FPS (or at least substantially better than 60). On the other hand, if you regularly look at your current monitor and complain about how it's not keeping up with your leet CS sKillZ, or how everything was smoother on your old CRT, then by all means grab one of those TN's.

You can also always try for one of the Catleap IPS screens and see if you can get one that'll do better than 60Hz and still have good color/everything else that IPS is known for.

Slark
Nov 29, 2012

Fast as Wind
Silent as Forest
Ferocious as Fire
Immovable as Mountain

DrDork posted:

If you haven't been looking at your current monitor and going "drat, I wish I had a higher refresh rate!" on a regular basis, then I'd tend to suggest IPS over 120Hz TN's. Especially since to see any benefit from 120Hz you have to actually have a rig capable of pushing 120 FPS (or at least substantially better than 60). On the other hand, if you regularly look at your current monitor and complain about how it's not keeping up with your leet CS sKillZ, or how everything was smoother on your old CRT, then by all means grab one of those TN's.

You can also always try for one of the Catleap IPS screens and see if you can get one that'll do better than 60Hz and still have good color/everything else that IPS is known for.

Thanks for the informative advice, now I see that to be able to fully make use of 120Hz refresh rate I have to equip with it a hardcore gaming graphic card. The trade-offs between TN and IPS sometimes make me really hard to decide, since Dell U2412M really looks attractive to me, also it's recommended by many of my friends and OP as well. Guess I will give it a try.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I have been extremely happy with the U2412Ms I got last week, get one (or two!). They really are fantastic monitors. Only game I've been playing is Far Cry 3, but I can't tell of any input lag, etc. Then again as people have said, IPS is probably perfectly fine unless you're a L337 CS PROGAMER who still hangs on to his CRT.

My only complaint is that they only come with DVI/VGA cables but no displayport cable. After thinking about it though, that's not a bad idea on their part - you have two different sizes, so you'd have people annoyed that it came with a displayport cable but didn't plug in to their minidisplayport on their pc/laptop. That problem is entirely on the consumer for not researching exactly what they're getting, but I can see Dell not wanting to deal with the headache. No matter, a problem easily solved by throwing $10 to monoprice.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 10, 2012

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
Probably gonna buy a 2420T this week, but I've got a funny feeling putting it next to a 60hz monitor isn't a great idea. Does anyone know if the 60hz monitor will appear to flicker when you're focused on the 120hz monitor?

It's not a deal breaker, just curious.

Naughty McGee
Mar 31, 2010
So, is the Ultrasharp U2410 worth picking up over the U2412? I'm looking to get an IPS monitor for general use, and I like the connectivity the U2410 has over the U2412. I've also read that it actually looks better, is this true? It's odd that a lot of IPS monitors have no HDMI input, unless you look at the very pricey models. How are some of the Asus IPS monitors?

BobLoblaw
Jul 24, 2007
I'm building a new gaming PC in the next few weeks. I'll likely be getting a Radeon 7850 or maybe a GTX 660. I'm not super picky when it comes to specs.

I have the possibility to get a refurbished NEC display and was hoping someone could give me some feedback as to whether any of these will get the job done, and be a decent deal:

EX231WP-BK-R 23" $100
PA231W-BK-R 23" $100
AS241W-BK-R 24" $100
PA241W-BK-R 24" $100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

kcer posted:

Probably gonna buy a 2420T this week, but I've got a funny feeling putting it next to a 60hz monitor isn't a great idea. Does anyone know if the 60hz monitor will appear to flicker when you're focused on the 120hz monitor?

It's not a deal breaker, just curious.

No, LCDs aren't like CRTs which blink on and off at a high rate (and for which the lower refresh rates would usually be bothersome to people). The 60Hz or 120Hz just refers to how quickly the pixels can be updated. You probably won't be able to tell the difference unless you have fast motion occurring on both screens simultaneous, and even then it probably won't be annoying or anything, the 120Hz will just look a bit smoother.

Naughty McGee posted:

So, is the Ultrasharp U2410 worth picking up over the U2412? I'm looking to get an IPS monitor for general use, and I like the connectivity the U2410 has over the U2412. I've also read that it actually looks better, is this true? It's odd that a lot of IPS monitors have no HDMI input, unless you look at the very pricey models. How are some of the Asus IPS monitors?

The U2410 has a wide-gamut CCFL backlight which gives it a wider color space than the U2412 (which has an LED backlight). This can make it look better, although some people think the colors are too intense. It's probably better to use if you have access to a calibrator, and even then sometimes you'll find a webpage or something that will just be eye-searingly red, because not all applications pay attention to color management stuff. The U2412 has a standard gamut similar to most monitors.

If you have a calibrator and do photo work the U2410 is probably worth it, if you just want a display for normal use I'd go with the 2412. With the LED backlight it's lighter and thinner and uses less power.

evensevenone fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 12, 2012