Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Can someone please explain to me why so many stupid cars have these grenade stickers on them in the last few years? It's not the SA grenade or anything, its just a stupid loving grenade, usually made out of a skeleton hand or something similar.

Its a snowboarding-or-something company. I work in the x-games-sorta-stuff but what we do doesn't involve snow sports. Our rider support dude called them up just to shoot the poo poo and see if they wanted to do any industry-deals. Not sure what he got, but along with it they sent down a box with an assload of those stickers, and this was :hipster: before everyone was throwing them on.

Probably a viral marketing deal, they dumped a shitload of money into free stickers and now they're everywhere which isn't uncommon in the industry.

I will say they are a total bitch to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Perhaps similar to the Fox head stickers you see absolutely everywhere?

You know, these:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

Perhaps similar to the Fox head stickers you see absolutely everywhere?

You know, these:

Yeah, well, I was running their riding gear before I bought these board shorts! :hipster: :smug:

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Dizman posted:

'Vette-wave'

:v:

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

blugu64 posted:

I want a Corvette.

Going to get that paint job and do donuts in my old high school parking lot while blasting born in the usa.

EDIT:I forgot, I'm in texas so blasting music from someone from new jersey is a bad form.

you want pantera then

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Godholio posted:

Losing a wheel is exactly the reason I got the fake knock-offs on my 66. The external hardware is exactly the same, but the spinner doesn't actually hold the wheel on, there are normal lugnuts underneath. Yeah I'd probably be fine, but I've seen more than enough pictures of what happens when one decides to escape (they tend to take large sections of fender with them).

Aside from that, how did it do? I've had a morbid curiosity about auto-xing a car with no power steering or brakes.
He was in a very competitive BSP class, so he was generally on the bottom, but he didn't embarrass himself.
It was a fairly prepped car from years ago.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Giblet Plus! posted:

you want pantera then

Definitely this :black101:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giblet Plus! posted:

you want pantera then

Knowing the kind of person who paints their car up flag-style, probably more like Garth Brooks.

SierraEchoBravo
Jun 23, 2010

EightBit posted:

Definitely this :black101:

The correct choice, 100% of the time. Pantera is the best driving music.

Well, I guess it depends on your music taste but nothing beats blasting Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power and giving a car the lead foot.

Is there a driving music thread, or is that better suited for NMD?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Fermunky posted:

Polk county FL, doesn't surprise me. I know you can find MUCH more out there.

But I'm in Upstate New York. I think he drove here to bang a trashy girl from our office. Don't you have those in Florida?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

CharlesM posted:

That doesn't seem like a wise idea...

He's okay! He's got about 3 - 4 more inches until he hits the air intake!

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

NoWake posted:

'Vette-wave'

:v:

My hats off to you sir. I actually got a chuckle out of that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

SierraEchoBravo posted:

The correct choice, 100% of the time. Pantera is the best driving music.

Well, I guess it depends on your music taste but nothing beats blasting Cowboys from Hell or Vulgar Display of Power and giving a car the lead foot.

Is there a driving music thread, or is that better suited for NMD?

What about Pantera in a Pantera?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Octopus Magic posted:

They always think they're so above the water guys.

okay that was good

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

LongDarkNight posted:

But I'm in Upstate New York. I think he drove here to bang a trashy girl from our office. Don't you have those in Florida?

It's Florida, so the answer is obviously "yes".

Sorry though, assumed you were also in the Lakeland area, but every tag was blacked out.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

Or an ACVW. Although AAA was always my savior. Pay the extra for the 100 mile tow package vs the 4mile package :)

Also just so you know, since this is the terrible thread, AAA doesn't consider a motorcycle a vehicle, and will pretty much tell you to gently caress off if you call needing help while riding. I believe the exact words were along the lines of "If you want help with your toys, buy the RV package."

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Seriously? I've never needed it while riding but I've always felt extra comfortable on my longer rides that if something went wrong I have AAA. I don't think I like how this makes me feel...

I mean, for a year I only had a bike (no car) but I kept my AAA just in case. I guess I would have been SOL?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Willfrey posted:

Its a snowboarding-or-something company. I work in the x-games-sorta-stuff but what we do doesn't involve snow sports. Our rider support dude called them up just to shoot the poo poo and see if they wanted to do any industry-deals. Not sure what he got, but along with it they sent down a box with an assload of those stickers, and this was :hipster: before everyone was throwing them on.

Probably a viral marketing deal, they dumped a shitload of money into free stickers and now they're everywhere which isn't uncommon in the industry.

I will say they are a total bitch to remove.

Ok, this makes sense as I live in CO where everyone thinks they are a pro snow boarder.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
An AMA membership comes with a pretty good tow package for motorcycles, and most owners groups do too.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Giblet Plus! posted:

you want pantera then

I'm thinking dueling banjos. Or maybe the guitar solo from freebird.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

veedubfreak posted:

Ok, this makes sense as I live in CO where everyone thinks they are a pro snow boarder.

This. The larger the sticker on the Xterra, the more likely it has something to do with snowboards.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Faerunner posted:

Also just so you know, since this is the terrible thread, AAA doesn't consider a motorcycle a vehicle, and will pretty much tell you to gently caress off if you call needing help while riding. I believe the exact words were along the lines of "If you want help with your toys, buy the RV package."

The difference between 'Classic' and 'Plus'(where they'll do motorcycles/RVs) is only $30/year. That also bumps the tow distance from 3 miles to 100 miles.

I've got the Premier RV AAA package. One 200 mile tow a year and 100 miles for all other tows. When your newest car is now 22 years old, it's a must. It's only $100/year and pays for itself in one tow. I'm also a bit of a map geek and love raiding the office for random maps to hang on the garage walls. :)

PreacherNutshot
Dec 8, 2005
I love children, but I can't eat a whole one.

Godholio posted:

The oil world is even worse.

That's too well crafted of a burn, I admit defeat. My original typo stands. :cheers:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Seriously? I've never needed it while riding but I've always felt extra comfortable on my longer rides that if something went wrong I have AAA. I don't think I like how this makes me feel...

I mean, for a year I only had a bike (no car) but I kept my AAA just in case. I guess I would have been SOL?

An AAA driver told me to tell them you're having car trouble, then when the driver calls tell him you have a motorcycle. That's what I've done twice, that and slipped the driver a 20 for getting my busted rear end motorcycle home for me.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have NRMA Premium or whatever they call it now. A bloody ripoff but it's the only service that even comes close now. It's been cut down to something like a 100km maximum tow radius. in remote areas or 50km elsewhere. Used to be able to get towed home. 100km is useless. Especially when driving a car with parts made out of cold forged unobtainium. I've travelled an awful lot further than that just for a doctor's appointment. gently caress you NRMA and your cost cutting because you were stupid and sold your insurance division.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Dizman posted:

Yes it is. I actually like Corvettes so I always toss the 'Vette-wave' to any one that I see, but I never get a wave back from the newer Vettes.

Heh. It's like me wearing leather + helmet on my Harley. I rarely get waves back from helmet-less Harley guys. I also rarely get waves back from sport bike guys because I'm on a Harley.

GUYS I JUST WANT YOU TO WAVE AT ME

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

angryhampster posted:

Heh. It's like me wearing leather + helmet on my Harley. I rarely get waves back from helmet-less Harley guys. I also rarely get waves back from sport bike guys because I'm on a Harley.

GUYS I JUST WANT YOU TO WAVE AT ME
I don't think I've ever had another BMW M-anything driver fail to wave back at me in my slightly dingy E36 M3. :smug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There's a hierarchy among the cliques with waving. While on my Enfield, most people except for some sportbike riders wave me back. While on my Honda 650, most people except Harley riders wave me back. While on the scooter, nobody from either wave back :getout:. The only exception to the rule is a Harley rider with pillion: they never wave because. (In their mid-life-crisis minds) it would look bad to their trophy-wife if they interacted with the 'plebians.' Or they're too preoccupied with stroking their egos to notice other people on the road (they certainly drive like that's the case). Either/or, really.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I would never wave at a scooter.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

From "The Worst Things For Sale"

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

JP Money posted:

I would never wave at a scooter.

I would wave at scooters, because gently caress the haters.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah......we use those for specific circumstances in vehicle extraction. That style would be called a "high lift" bag and it's one we have but never want to use (we mostly use larger surface area low lift bags, even prefering to stack them on top of each other rather than using one high lift). We also inflate them in a very controlled manner while cribbing on at least two sides every 4 inches or less.

The idea of getting under something resting on a $1000 kevlar shell lift bag....never mind a $200 recycled plastic one...without any sort of cribbing is more terrifying than crawling under something using the spare tire jack in a muddy field.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Well, if you're a redneck with a deathwish, this is your tool.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

These things are fantastic in sand, and I thought that was their raison d'etre.

You couldn't pay me to use one for any other reason, though I can see how some people might be daft enough to try.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I don't know how common it is but probably nearly 20 years ago now I knew someone with a Land Cruiser 75? series with a tray back that had one of those bags under the tray sitting on a platform. The tray had a pivot on the back and there was a valve in the exhaust to divert flow to it. Are exhaust powered tipper utes a thing, or was this a one-off? It worked well either way.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Kill-9 posted:

The difference between 'Classic' and 'Plus'(where they'll do motorcycles/RVs) is only $30/year. That also bumps the tow distance from 3 miles to 100 miles.

I've got the Premier RV AAA package. One 200 mile tow a year and 100 miles for all other tows. When your newest car is now 22 years old, it's a must. It's only $100/year and pays for itself in one tow. I'm also a bit of a map geek and love raiding the office for random maps to hang on the garage walls. :)

We're Plus members, and they told us in no uncertain terms that they will absolutely not do RVs or motorcycles, just cars and personally owned trucks smaller than a box truck. After being told no on motorcycles my fiance made them clarify exactly what they wouldn't do with a Plus membership. There's Plus RV, and that's what you'd have to upgrade to to get RV/motorcycle towing.

Oh hey look, they even have a page for it!

http://eastcentral.aaa.com/membership/types/plus_rv_details.jsp

quote:

AAA Plus RV Optional Upgrade

AAA Plus RV is a comprehensive program that extends emergency road service and AAA Plus benefits beyond your family car to cover your motor home, travel, or boat trailer (provided the trailer is not in the water), pickup truck with camper, and motorcycle.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

I would wave at scooters, because gently caress the haters.

I'd wager 90% of the scooters I see are kids wearing flip flops, gym shorts and a t shirt with no helmet. Maybe the last 9% have a harley style brain bucket on with the same attire above. The last 1% are the old men on the mondo-big scooters with maybe a ragtag collection of gear.

I'd happily wave at those in at least a little bit of gear. I do the same to harley's and such, if you're going to be an idiot with no helmet and a sweet cutoff you probably won't mind me not waving back anyhow.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Not for nothing, but this is basically how big towing operators flip over heavy loads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWPYNhdeyWw

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JP Money posted:

I'd happily wave at those in at least a little bit of gear. I do the same to harley's and such, if you're going to be an idiot with no helmet and a sweet cutoff you probably won't mind me not waving back anyhow.

I had a full face helmet, boots, jeans, and a windbreaker on when my scooter took a pothole traveling 50 mph. I suffered a right humerus that snapped clean in half, neck bruising, and a minor case of road rash.

Who knows what would have happened without that gear on?

Edit: The scooter was a Yamaha Vino 125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I rode one once. Most of the 50cc ones will barely do 45 with a tailwind. They're sketchy as gently caress too, I can't imagine hitting a bump on one of those things topped out. The fact that you don't need a license for most of them makes the owners even more of a liability in my eyes.