Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

What's so great about this comic is that we have no way of knowing for sure whether or not Annie is right, and we probably never will. Lots left up to interpretation, all of it valid.

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Character montage!

This makes me think of one of those face pairup things from some fighting game, except Coyote is the referee and Annie is disappointed because she knows she's going to get stomped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Yeah, it was the amazing looking Coyote avatars that eventually made me go look for the source of where they were all coming from. Mort is great but one day I'll get my own Coyote(or City Face, because username), the art is so drat pretty to look at.

I've said it before but the Coyote stuff reminds me of a lot of the Haisla art I saw around me as a kid when I lived in B.C. so it makes me happy. City Face pigeon is also awesome because pigeons!

This update made me feel sad. I want to believe the same thing Antimony does about Jones but Jones seems pretty convinced otherwise.

EDIT: I just saw I've been avatared! Thank you, Avatar Fairy! (And spotted dick is really very tasty; everyone should try it.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I like how Jones doesn't change her expression. It really helps me hear the voice in an emotionless tone. Perfect for Jonesbot.

And I too am one of the readers lured in by avatars. I'm trying to find one to adopt for myself

Character montage!

And I'd totally do this one without the symbol next to Jones' head. Now I just need to come up with a clever title and a few bucks.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
A Jones' love is not like a square's love.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I drew some Gunnerkrigg fanart... sort of

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Actually... on page 25 of Chapter 40, I noticed something. Jones talks about her physical and mental characteristics, and it stood out to me: "My movement and senses fall well within human boundaries, though I do not eat or sleep." She doesn't, but can she? Can she eat just to appear normal? I'm guessing she could pretend to sleep, but could she fall into a similar unconscious state if she wanted to mimic sleep? I'd like to get a chance to live a week in the life of Jones. Alien minds fascinate me that way.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Warmachine posted:

And I'd totally do this one without the symbol next to Jones' head.

This work better?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Man, Tom has gotten really great at drawing faces in profile.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I really liked that interaction between Annie and Jones. Who knows if Jone's side was genuine, but it was nice anyway. :unsmith:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

"Beauty vs Age".

Well this was a nice chapter, and I think we got a lot more answers than we are use to. I'm hoping for a Kat focused chapter next personally.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 10, 2012

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jones n Anne bonding moment, awww. :3:
The two best characters havin' a good time.

Sankara fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 10, 2012

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Awww Annie. :3 She's kinda right, Jones is too into helping people to be truly detached.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I wonder what non-readers think of Coyote avatars.

As long as the Coyote avatars outnumber the frogatars, I'm happy.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

This work better?

I feel like they should all be facing the same direction, maybe with Antimony in the middle.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Annie is relearning poker face from Jones.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Macaluso posted:

The best fanart ever. My top two favourite webcomics brought together at last.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Androc posted:

I feel like they should all be facing the same direction, maybe with Antimony in the middle.

Or maybe with Coyote still in the middle but facing forward toward the viewer. I have no clue if there are examples of him doing that, though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks Antimony. Thantimony.

Good job, now my co-workers think I'm insane for laughing so loud all of a sudden.

I saw the coyote avatars and realized they were based off coyote from the myths, and a bunch of them worked well without further context. That was when I would only see like 2 or 3 regularly and I figured it was either a comic or someone making avatars specifically. I had actually been linked to Gunnerkrigg Court a few years ago, but didn't read very far due to finding football-headed Annie off-putting. I think I really only got sufficiently curious when I started seeing other avatars of the characters and realized they were from the same thing (although I didn't connect the robot avatars to it until I had read those chapters, and I quite like those..except the boxbot ones obviously). Also a page or two was posted in the Funny Panels thread maybe. At any rate it came up somewhere else with a link to the actual comic and I kept clicking, as one does with this, and decided to go to the beginning and finished it up in a few days.

Just lent the books to some friends, sorta curious how quickly they'll burn through them since they're already on holiday break from school.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The Coyote avatars are the best thing to happen to these forums.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Man, Tom has gotten really great at drawing faces in profile.

Seconding this. Most webcomics seem to either have zero profile shots (B^U, for example), or people in profile look like horrible ape creatures, especially in any faux-anime comics.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

Macaluso posted:

This is just the best thing ever.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

"Beauty vs Age".

Well this was a nice chapter, and I think we got a lot more answers than we are use to. I'm hoping for a Kat focused chapter next personally.

I can just imagine Coyote in his smug-rear end tone going "Age before beauty, my dear Antimony."

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

bathroomrage posted:

I can just imagine Coyote in his smug-rear end tone going "Age before beauty, my dear Antimony."

And then Jones cuts in front of him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ursine Asylum posted:

And then Jones cuts in front of him.

While Coyote cracks up laughing.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Macaluso posted:

Siddell follows this thread, but be sure to show this to the master of Nedroid ceremonies if you haven't already!

Battle Pigeon posted:

This was a great chapter but I'm glad it's finally over, reading online it felt like it was going on forever-though in the book I'm sure it will work fine.
I liked the long slow build to the "Jones formed out of the Earth! :wtf::tviv::sbahj::drat:" panel, but the dozen or so pages of the Smiles Brigade afterward seem anticlimactic. I feel like it might've been a tiny bit more effective if the imagery and the dialogue alternated more. Another data point for Siddell to ignore because he's so far beyond the rest of us!

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

They don't want to hear Coyote's great secret.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Has he said what the next chapter will be about? I'd love to see whether the Medium thing turns out to be a fakeout, but it might be too much to expect for us to get right to it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just reread the latest strip, and at the second-to-last panel I imagined Jones thinking "ugh, this again" before her line in the last panel. Funnily enough it works just as well as her being genuine there. Oh Jones.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Since we're on avatarchat again, just letting the new people know that there's a post tracking avatars, or attempting to. (I try not to bring it up much because comic-chat is better than avatarchat.)

I'd done one myself a few chapters back when people didn't recognise the make-up stuff.

YF-23 posted:

"Why is Annie not accepting Kat's cool monocle magnifier with laser attachment?"

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

I liked the long slow build to the "Jones formed out of the Earth! :wtf::tviv::sbahj::drat:" panel, but the dozen or so pages of the Smiles Brigade afterward seem anticlimactic. I feel like it might've been a tiny bit more effective if the imagery and the dialogue alternated more. Another data point for Siddell to ignore because he's so far beyond the rest of us!

Yeah, that was the part that felt like it dragged on a bit for me as well. The Jones flashback could almost have been it's own small self-contained chapter.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was happy with it, although I did keep looking for the end of chapter symbol :shobon: Overall I think the whole thing will work a lot better for future readers going through the archives, which is the point I guess!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

YF-23 posted:

I'd done one myself a few chapters back when people didn't recognise the make-up stuff.

Should be in there already under "Everything Else".

Reene posted:

Has he said what the next chapter will be about? I'd love to see whether the Medium thing turns out to be a fakeout, but it might be too much to expect for us to get right to it.

Seems like the sort of thing he might tease us with for a while, but you never know. The next chapter might be all about some robot delivering someone Form 8X-99RM: Notice of Medium Duties.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The next chapter is going to be Katerina playing tea party with Renard, Mort and City-Face.

It'll last 80 pages and spawn 764 new avatars.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Twitch posted:

Seconding this. Most webcomics seem to either have zero profile shots (B^U, for example), or people in profile look like horrible ape creatures, especially in any faux-anime comics.
But how will I know I'm seeing the side of a face without a pointy snout and a flounder mouth??

I haven't bothered going back to see when it started, but it does seem like Tom suddenly started drawing lots of profiles right around the point he went full-time. So it looks like he decided to leave his comfort zone a little before announcing that he'd be focusing on GC. Which is great; most people are too scared to draw them since they're so hard to do without making people look wonky. He's getting pretty good at it.

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks Antimony. Thantimony.
I feel like I recognize this reference but cannot place it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

Look around you, you might figure it out.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Zenzirouj posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jtU9BbReQk

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Another data point for Siddell to ignore because he's so far beyond the rest of us!
Are you snarking. I will fight you in real life.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I now have the image of a crazy-eyed pink horse charging towards someone and it is terrifying.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Should be in there already under "Everything Else".

Oh dammit, so it is. I could've sworn I'd looked through it first but I guess I missed it.

I can watch this forever. :allears: Actually this put me on a trait of thought that evaporated almost instantly but left me with the question, would Jones, having lived the entirety of mankind's existence and having learned endless languages preceding English, have a British accent? Would she have an accent? Would it be recognisable as anything we might know?

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

After being around that long you probably would have gotten very good at mimicking the accents around you. I'd guess that she just assumes the accent of the majority, wherever she happens to be. Or one which she finds more favourable?

Accent talk for a comic - There's no right answer

Tone, I'd say she was quite stern and delivers everything totally deadpan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

YF-23 posted:

I can watch this forever. :allears: Actually this put me on a trait of thought that evaporated almost instantly but left me with the question, would Jones, having lived the entirety of mankind's existence and having learned endless languages preceding English, have a British accent? Would she have an accent? Would it be recognisable as anything we might know?

Tom said (on Formspring, I think?) that Jones doesn't have a specific accent, i.e., you can't really place where her accent is from.