Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Granny's WWE Main Event recaps are the best.

Kofi Kingston vs. Antonio Sisorio
I looked it up and he's from Sweden.

Wade Barrett and ??? wanted it to be a tag team match.
??? had dark hair and a whole bunch of those little ring things all over him, you know that you poke in your lip and stuff. Average looking guy.
R-Truth

Triple zero rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:siren: :siren: DAVE MELTZER LIVE IN THE STUDIO :siren: :siren:

edit: Bryan literally doesn't know how weight classes work. :ughh:

TLM
Mar 3, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Granny's WWE Main Event recaps are the best.

Kofi Kingston vs. Antonio Sisorio
I looked it up and he's from Sweden.

Wade Barrett and ??? wanted it to be a tag team match.
??? had dark hair and a whole bunch of those little ring things all over him, you know that you poke in your lip and stuff. Average looking guy.
R-Truth

Triple zero rating.

So last Main Event she gave it 5 stars. This week, -3 Stars. Based on these two shows I can safely say the decline in Main Event has been staggering.

I really hope someone does a Sunglasses At Night song based on Granny and her sunglasses now.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just catching up on some missed shows. That is the first time I have heard Dave actually with Bryan. HOLY poo poo, why does he sound so different? I have heard Vinny via phone vs with Bryan and it wasn't this drastic of a change

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Gabe was on MLW Radio this week.
He said he would have gone with Heyman to TNA if that deal ever materialized.
Apparently the only plan they discussed, beyond "fire everyone", was a long build to Angle vs. Danielson.

Dixie managed to kill that match twice* in one summer. :argh:

*Bryan was never signing with TNA, but she didn't know that at the time!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Valeyard posted:

Just catching up on some missed shows. That is the first time I have heard Dave actually with Bryan. HOLY poo poo, why does he sound so different? I have heard Vinny via phone vs with Bryan and it wasn't this drastic of a change

That might have to do with Dave's phone and how it picks up his voice. Different inputs can make people sound pretty different.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

That might have to do with Dave's phone and how it picks up his voice. Different inputs can make people sound pretty different.

For sure. He has a fairly deep voice which gets cut out of the phone mic.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CaptainYesterday posted:

Colt meets Kong this week, and it turns out she was on Wheel of Fortune. Someone has to have this on tape.

Kong seems like a really nice, good-natured lady, which just makes it all the more amusing to imagine her smacking Bubba the Love Sponge around.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
"But I don't want to throw up!"
"You're going to have to Dave, it's part of journalism"

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

"But I don't want to throw up!"
"You're going to have to Dave, it's part of journalism"
Then Dave got him back with the Game Plan interruption (where he started playing football with some kids and then got a dirty look from Dennis Miller).

"You should've gigged"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haha yeah that football story was great. I wonder what other shenanigans Meltzer gets into that he doesn't talk about

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

triplexpac posted:

Haha yeah that football story was great. I wonder what other shenanigans Meltzer gets into that he doesn't talk about
There's his experiences with crazy girls that he's alluded to a couple of times.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
dshban, is Mutant Larry dead?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Another part I enjoyed about today's Observer was when someone asked Dave about his cryptic remarks about Savage, he explained it then finished with some more cryptic remarks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

Another part I enjoyed about today's Observer was when someone asked Dave about his cryptic remarks about Savage, he explained it then finished with some more cryptic remarks.

Oliver knows.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Perigryn posted:

There's his experiences with crazy girls that he's alluded to a couple of times.

"Maybe she'll slash his tyres!"

The talk about gigging was great.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

triplexpac posted:

"Vince was not aware of that at that point anyway."

It's interesting how Dave is always cryptic about Savage, but he's pretty much endorsed the allegations of a sex scandal in the 80s.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost

britishbornandbread posted:

dshban, is Mutant Larry dead?

He's back today.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Perigryn posted:

Dave is a well known banana smasher.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Today's B&V show is a classic.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Today's B&V show is a classic.

I love listening after missing it for about a month and there are all these drops where I am just like :wtc:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Granny Limp Bizkit song is worth every dime I will ever give that website.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

GoutPatrol posted:

Dave is a well known banana smasher.

I thought that was Jim Cornette.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Cornette hits people. Dave puts a Banana in the hair.

sexy_trash
Jul 4, 2008

WH2K IS JERICHO
This week's Art of Wrestling w/ Jake The Snake Roberts!

Should be a gooder!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

After listening to this week's show, Lance Storm is basically the "it's still real to me dammit" kid if he were a worker.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

sportsgenius86 posted:

After listening to this week's show, Lance Storm is basically the "it's still real to me dammit" kid if he were a worker.

His idea that other wrestlers should be as lame and gimmickless as he is was so dumb.

Lance Storm is really smart about wrestling but he's also really dumb about wrestling.

e: and Bryan saying that honey badgers were scary looking and couldn't understand why a female MMA fighter would nickname herself after one was also super dumb.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 13, 2012

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Karmine posted:

His idea that other wrestlers should be as lame and gimmickless as he is was so dumb.

Lance Storm is really smart about wrestling but he's also really dumb about wrestling.

e: and Bryan saying that honey badgers were scary looking and couldn't understand why a female MMA fighter would nickname herself after one was also super dumb.
Maybe it's the 'honey' part that ruins the mental image if you don't know anything about honey badgers.

Then again, Bryan lives in a strange bubble like Lance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karmine posted:

He's right that not every wrestler needs a dumb name for their finisher.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

He's right that not every wrestler needs a dumb name for their finisher.

Yes, but there's rarely a gray area with Lance. Using the technical term for every finisher would be boring as poo poo.

He just comes off like he has no concept of a business at all and treats the WWE like every crowd they have is filled exclusively with people over 20.

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
He said that it works for some guys, but it shouldn't be something all guys do.

Nobody found Hogan or Flair boring beacuse they didn't name their finishers.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yes, but there's rarely a gray area with Lance. Using the technical term for every finisher would be boring as poo poo.

He just comes off like he has no concept of a business at all and treats the WWE like every crowd they have is filled exclusively with people over 20.
Plus, doesn't he name his half crab "The Canadian Maple Leaf"?

As long as the finisher's name fits the wrestler's gimmick, it's fine.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perigryn posted:

Plus, doesn't he name his half crab "The Canadian Maple Leaf"?

As long as the finisher's name fits the wrestler's gimmick, it's fine.

He did in WCW for the Team Canada gimmick. I doubt it was his idea..

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
BAH GAWD STEVE AUSTIN HAS HIT THE 3/4 FACELOCK SITOUT JAWBREAKER ON MR.MACMAHON!

That doesn't really work, Lance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

BAH GAWD STEVE AUSTIN HAS HIT THE 3/4 FACELOCK SITOUT JAWBREAKER ON MR.MACMAHON!

That doesn't really work, Lance.

No poo poo, and he would agree.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I haven't listened to the Lance show, but in regards to naming moves: I do hate it when a guy has like 5 named moves. It really hurts in cases like Sheamus, when they burn through the good names early and now he's stuck with poo poo like WHITE NOISE

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I haven't listened to the Lance show, but in regards to naming moves: I do hate it when a guy has like 5 named moves. It really hurts in cases like Sheamus, when they burn through the good names early and now he's stuck with poo poo like WHITE NOISE

He'll never top Pale Justice

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

He did in WCW for the Team Canada gimmick. I doubt it was his idea..
Still, it fit the gimmick. And now that I look at Wikipedia, he also had the Powerplex (suplex powerslam) and Deep Impact (spike piledriver) in ECW.

Plus, when you're calling a match in the ring, it's easier to use a finisher name than a technical one sometimes...so long as the other person is clear on what the move is. I think he mentioned that in a podcast with Bryan once where the other guy only gave him the gimmick name so that's why he's not too fond of the idea.

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT
The AoW guest this week....

Edit: Jesus Christ, his voice.

Frilled Lizard fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I don't think Lance thinks that you shouldn't have names for moves but I agree when everytime a guy debuts a new move they have to give it some name that matches his gimmick. For example: Cody Rhodes and 'CrossRhodes', it's a pun but it's not terrible and it fits the move. The 'Yes-Lock' on the other hand is just adding a guy's catchphrase to a move he does that already has a name that at least makes sense.

This reminds me of that great episode of Thunder where Kevin Nash kept calling everything "The Morning Glory ________" during commentary after Tenay made the called "The Morning Glory Knee Drop" from Hacksaw Jim Duggan. I remember at the time laughing my rear end off during that show, it's just not as good watching the compilation on YouTube.

• Locked thread