Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Everyone come to test, it's free. I literally have 5 accounts with one character each and can create more at anytime.

Everyone who is on test state your character name and guild name:

Funzoe (85 rogue) - <Tacgnol>
Riverrs (85 bard) - <Tacgnol>

We can start grouping together and killing poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

xZAOx posted:

Sorry, I phrased that bad. I meant, what do you keep from your character? Is it 100% everything? As in, all your gear, pp, stuff in your bank, etc?

Everything but shared bank I think. Used to be testcopy didn't transfer plat and everything transferred over nodrop but while still flagged as copied it's all tradeable now (as long as it's tradeable to begin with)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

funzo2226 posted:

Mileye - 85 Monk
Carrex - 85 Chanter
Hannah - 75 Mage
Cheney - 71 SK
TheAquaLung- 71 Bard
Profit - 71 Shaman

I think the Monk and Chanter are still in Zen Cabal but it's not like there's ever more than 5 people online at any time.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Pon de Bundy posted:

Also ye olde roleplayers and dark elf women lesbian guilds.

My favorite ye olde roleplayer was still around last year. (S)hes a bard who plays flagged pvp so her songs can't touch anyone and then roleplay complains that groups don't want her and spent the majority of playtime flirting with general chat.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Just a small addendum regarding /testcopy: After typing it, nothing will happen immediately, but after about 30 seconds it should give you a "testcopy success" or similar message in red in your chat box.

It also transfers stuff that's waiting for you in the parcel system, which will be most of your inventory if you went from Gold to Silver.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Meow Tse-tung posted:

My favorite ye olde roleplayer was still around last year. (S)hes a bard who plays flagged pvp so her songs can't touch anyone and then roleplay complains that groups don't want her and spent the majority of playtime flirting with general chat.

Ye old roleplaying server, probably the server with the highest concentration of weirdoes/mental issues, and terrible, terrible roleplaying.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
Also, your housing items do not transfer over either. You need to stick them in your inventory if you want them to swap over. Not that it's a super big deal for most people though.

On test I'm

Cycomatix (93 Rogue)
Sinraz (92 Shadow Knight)
Yelle (92 Bard)
Pestiss (92 Shaman)

In my own guild <Where We Going>, if you see anyone in that guild online, it's probably me.

zancii
Sep 16, 2011
On Test in <Tacgnol>:

Ilmare - 89 Shadowknight
Siawyn - 90 Wizard
Tesseraee - 90 Bard
Katariee - 88 Shaman

Although, my 2nd monitor is on the fritz, so I haven't been on much.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Whenever I play again, all on Test in that one big guild that still kinda raids whose name I can't remember:

Kodaji - SK
Dyllana - Monk
Robothaus - Bard
Nicollia - Sham

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Just transferred Brumans (81 monk) over.

Then I realized I have no loving clue how to Monk anymore. Pils, MrDev - care to give a really quick dirty refresher on the monk rotation? I know the names of the discs change as you level up too and that makes it more confusing, but it's all the same lines I thought. But drat I have a lot of hotbuttons set up and I can't remember what any of that poo poo does.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Just transferred Brumans (81 monk) over.

Then I realized I have no loving clue how to Monk anymore. Pils, MrDev - care to give a really quick dirty refresher on the monk rotation? I know the names of the discs change as you level up too and that makes it more confusing, but it's all the same lines I thought. But drat I have a lot of hotbuttons set up and I can't remember what any of that poo poo does.
Use when they pop: Flying Kick, Stunning Kick (don't invest in the shared timer kicks like Crippling Strike, they suck), Calanin's Synergy. Use Synergy first when you engage as it gives a debuff that improves kicks against the target. You can also use Dragon Fang (upgrades to Vigorous Shuriken at lvl 83) if you have the endurance.

Keep your Master's Aura up always.

Then you have your "mini discs", that give a buff for a while that boost your damage in various forms - Zan Fi, Second Spire (lvl 85?), Infusion of Thunder, Drunken Monkey Style (lvl 85), and the like. Use them if you want some extra burst, like when burning lesson, and have the endurance for it. You also have the Five Point Palm AA, a bit of a gimmick, but adds damage.

Major offensive discs are Speed Focus, Scaledfist (Ashenhand upgrade) and Crystalpalm (Innerflame upgrade). Whirlwind, the riposte disc, is situationally a life saver (or mass mob murderer). Use them if you want a lot of burst, and preferably while burning lesson. Minor discs are Heel of Kanji, Thunderkick and similar not-so-awesome discs at that level. There's also the Destructive Force AA that makes your attacks AoE, but it's not that great, it only performs one attack per round on nearby mobs.

You can also work your epic into this (I always saved it for Mending or when swarming), and later on you get Cloud of Fists at lvl 87, which adds some nice extra damage.

Another very important thing to remember beginning at lvl 86 is to work the Respite spell into everything. It's an ability that regens endurance at a major rate, but only up to 25%. This is good enough though, and it basically ends all endurance problems that we so badly suffer at lower levels, where it's pretty much just something you burn through and that's that. Look forward to Respite. :)

Edit: Also, for pulling, you have your Echo line, an AoE mez, and the Phantom Line, which is a pacify line. Both kick rear end for pulling.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 12, 2012

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Use when they pop: Flying Kick, Stunning Kick (don't invest in the shared timer kicks like Crippling Strike, they suck), Calanin's Synergy. Use Synergy first when you engage as it gives a debuff that improves kicks against the target. You can also use Dragon Fang (upgrades to Vigorous Shuriken at lvl 83) if you have the endurance.

Then you have your "mini discs", that give a buff for a while that boost your damage in various forms - Zan Fi, Second Spire, Infusion of Thunder, Drunken Monkey Style, and the like. Use them if you want some extra burst, like when burning lesson, and have the endurance for it. You also have the Five Point Palm AA, a bit of a gimmick, but adds damage.

Major offensive discs are Speed Focus, Scaledfist and Crystalpalm. Whirlwind, the riposte disc, is situationally a life saver (or mass mob murderer). Use them if you want a lot of burst, and preferably while burning lesson. Minor discs are Heel of Kanji, Thunderkick and similar not-so-awesome discs at that level. There's also the Destructive Force AA that makes your attacks AoE, but it's not that great, it only performs one attack per round on nearby mobs.

You can also work your epic into this (I always saved it for Mending or when swarming), and later on you get Cloud of Fists at lvl 87, which adds some nice extra damage.

Another very important thing to remember beginning at lvl 86 is to work the Respite spell into everything. It's an ability that regens endurance at a major rate, but only up to 25%. This is good enough though, and it basically ends all endurance problems that we so badly suffer at lower levels, where it's pretty much just something you burn through and that's that. Look forward to Respite. :)

You continue to be awesome, thanks man. That helped start bringing memories back of what some of this nonsense does.

I think at 81 I was trying to swarm in RSS, and was only so-so at it, and honestly, just didn't find it very fun. But that was before the AA speed up patch, plus, now I'm on test, where it's faster. So I might just resume grinding some AAs there.

Test is a shame though. Part of what made going from 65 to 81 so great was the goon guild, with all the upper levels giving us gear and running me through my epic 1.5/2.0 hard parts (thanks MrDev :D ). It'll be weird having no baz even to get gear on, but hey, I figure I can multi-box and group myself with no competition if I want the next tier of gear.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

As always http://www.monkly-business.net/ is full of great info concerning optimal dps and grindspots and whatever, you just really have to dig through it. This thread was pretty good but probably a bit dated now http://www.monkly-business.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28149

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 12, 2012

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I'm on again off again on test as well, I only log in to live to find stuff to test copy, but I'm usually 3 boxing :

Farrokh 91 bard
Jasperr 90 shaman
Viginti 91 mage

If you need anything send me a tell in game or pm here or something.

I don't know a hell of a lot about newer stuff since I quit more or less in 2006. My old main (ranger) is still pimped out in coa/god gear. I love doing old stuff (god was my favorite) if you're looking for help with epics etc

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Rainbow_Horse posted:

What is your in game name goon sir?

You can add Landric, Frokka, and Bojangles to your friends list, but I'm still pretty much retired and only log in sporadically; literally anyone in BDL can refer you to an officer for an invite; the guild leader spends a ton of time in the bazaar selling stuff while she's working (from home) and tabs in and out pretty often, so you can head there and send Violettafire a tell for a guild invite for sure.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

funzo2226 posted:

Everyone come to test, it's free. I literally have 5 accounts with one character each and can create more at anytime.

Funzoe (85 rogue) - <Tacgnol>
Riverrs (85 bard) - <Tacgnol>

We can start grouping together and killing poo poo.

Thalyn (79 necro)

I would love having people to talk to.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I set up a goon chat channel for test. /join goontest if you guys wanna talk

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

funzo2226 posted:

I set up a goon chat channel for test. /join goontest if you guys wanna talk

At first I thought this was TEST alliance from Eve Online and I was like :wtc:

This is a p good idea, will /autojoin

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Man, the exp on test is just awesome. When I played during goonrush, a good lesson was probably about 12 AA, maybe 15 if it was amazing (and that was grouping with Nerium).

Now they've had the AA exp patch, plus test exp - a single light/dark blue gives me 1 AA. I threw up lesson and servant and got 2 AA per kill. I got about 30 AA from my lesson burn, just killing the first mobs I saw when I entered looping plains. That's awesome.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

xZAOx posted:

Man, the exp on test is just awesome. When I played during goonrush, a good lesson was probably about 12 AA, maybe 15 if it was amazing (and that was grouping with Nerium).

Now they've had the AA exp patch, plus test exp - a single light/dark blue gives me 1 AA. I threw up lesson and servant and got 2 AA per kill. I got about 30 AA from my lesson burn, just killing the first mobs I saw when I entered looping plains. That's awesome.
Sounds nice!

The only challenge I can foresee with Test is breaking the lvl 80 gear barrier, like going from Defiant to HoT T1. There's no way one could solo HoT named or missions with Defiant in the 80's, and the bazaar is empty, right? Not that it'd be a problem for my current characters, but how are you faring in terms of gear?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
What are the downsides to the test server? Just that Sony can walk in and delete your toons whenever they want?

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe

Pilsner posted:

Sounds nice!

The only challenge I can foresee with Test is breaking the lvl 80 gear barrier, like going from Defiant to HoT T1. There's no way one could solo HoT named or missions with Defiant in the 80's, and the bazaar is empty, right? Not that it'd be a problem for my current characters, but how are you faring in terms of gear?

My friend and I had this problem when we started hitting HoT, without any cash to buy the new gear in the bazaar. The answer is Merc Tank. It's hairy, but it gets the job done.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Pilsner posted:

Sounds nice!

To be honest, I'm mostly punting on the problem until later, but I have a few things in mind:

1. I got almost full Abstruse during goonrush :). The only piece I don't have is boots, because MrDev was supposed to give me some, then he hit that patch where he didn't play because of computer problems, then I quit playing.

2. Since it's all free, when I get to the next tier that I should bother with (level 90 I think? How long does Abstruse last?), I might look at bringing up a box shaman to duo some poo poo if that's possible. Maybe a bard if I need three. Also I have J5 mercs on Brumans. My understanding was that entry-level zones dropped most of the stuff you need at the start tiers, which is all that you really need to bother with when you're not in the latest expansion.

3. Worst case - look at going back to live and getting the pieces to copy back over (with a new named toon obviously). Either beg for rots, or just grind out 81 to 90 with no more AA, or something, just to be able to be in the zone and flop around to loot.

4. Best case - magically find people to group with and farm 'em up! Or a Test goonrush! Or beg those of you with better toons to log on Test and help a brother (that's a monk joke) out :)

Edit:

Ninkobei posted:

What are the downsides to the test server? Just that Sony can walk in and delete your toons whenever they want?

I think that's the biggest one, but I've never heard of them doing a wipe ever in a long rear end time. I think the bigger downsides are no economy, no community, no grouping (mixed reports if that's really any different from Live's top-heavy multi-boxers), no real raiding.

I just want to run around seeing content, so that doesn't bother me too much.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 12, 2012

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

There's basically no risk of getting your toons deleted. I think they did it once, over 10 years ago. The only downside of Test is the low population. This leads to an almost non-existent economy (barely anything in the bazaar) and a community that is very tightly knit, and almost completely end game.

The community is very accommodating though. Great drops are constantly being given out in general chat, and most people are very willing to help out.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I remember hearing that they took away the no-trade requirement on test transfers: Does that apply to FV stuff that is normally no trade on most-servers?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

cycomatix posted:

My friend and I had this problem when we started hitting HoT, without any cash to buy the new gear in the bazaar. The answer is Merc Tank. It's hairy, but it gets the job done.
Ah, you're right.. There's also always Dream Mote gear for non-visible slots. I could always transfer over about 500 motes, although they should be buyable/beggable (I wonder if plat has any value amongst players on Test?) from other real Test players.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Plat has no value on test, same for anything else tradable. I sent like 10k motes to test goons when I sending care packages of plat and Circlet of Shadows.

If any of you test guys need stuff like that, let me know in serverwide or [t xegony.illa and I'll copy some stuff over when I can.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

The bazaar on test has been a lot more active lately with the RoF expansion (i.e. offline bazaar). It use to be that you'd be lucky to see 200 items up for sale on bazaar. Now it's regularly >1000 items with quite a bit of HoT, VoA, and recently some RoF gear for sale. It's not anything like the Luclin bazaar, but since people just keep testcopying the gear over for sale again you can usually get what you need within a couple days.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So some questions about fellowships, if I'm triple-boxing. Will it work to create a campfire in the zone I'm farming, gate out with my shaman to sell loot, and then use the warp to campfire dealy to go back?

Also, if I have 1 character higher than the others, does turning on exp sharing help catch them up faster, if they're all grouped together? I know the higher level gets a larger share of the exp due to the way splitting works, but not 100% sure it would be beneficial.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
You need three real players (or boxed accounts) to make a campfire. Get them all to stand around each other and it'll appear around the character that summoned it. After that, you just need to click your fellowship stone you get in plane of knowledge to send you to the fireplace. You can click it every 15 minutes.

A better option for selling loot if you're on test or have veteran rewards is to just summon a resupply agent and sell to him wherever you are.

I don't really understand the way shared exp works too well but here is a cool trick about campfires though. It counts player's proximity for creating one without taking into account walls. So if there's a big wall in your way for two of your characters, but you can get one to the other side pretty easily (like rogue sneak or something), you can have the character on the other side of the wall place the campfire and then use your stone to port your others characters to the other side.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I remember, back in early Velious, leading a weekend-long Sky raid. It was hellish but unforgettable at the same time - it literally took over 30 hours and we still didn't get past island 5...

From a few pages back, but wow, that is impressive! Can any other old school players top that? I could never handle the marathon sessions, but the worst I remember is going to Veeshan's Peak for a raid that lasted something like 16 hours.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sand Monster posted:

From a few pages back, but wow, that is impressive! Can any other old school players top that? I could never handle the marathon sessions, but the worst I remember is going to Veeshan's Peak for a raid that lasted something like 16 hours.

I can't top that. My guild regularly had like 6-7 hour raid nights though. Hooray for college!

I did have a 30 hour play session though. I remember it well. I was in High Hold Keep, at the coveted goblin camp. It was xmas break in college, and I was home, so I just played all day, then through the night. The group had a lot of turnover, but I was always able to keep it going. The next morning as my parents got back up, they made me log off because I had already tied up the phone line all the previous day. But hey, it got me through a hell level!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh god... I can't explain how many times I got disconnected when I was on dial up. *Awesome item drops, my turn to roll comes, disconnected*
"MOOOOOOOOOOM!!!! I TOLD YOU NOT TO PICK UP THE PHONE! IM QUESTINGGGGG!!!!"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I camped Stormfeather for something like 40 hours...on a PVP server, so I couldn't just go AFK for long lengths of time.

:(

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
Been getting the itch to play some eq, just don't want to spend money, so been messing around on test lately. Have a couple newbie chars, a 40ish shaman Ougher and a baby SK. Might consider a 3rd box, but i don't have anything on live to copy over to help myself out, so it's slow going. I'll probably hate myself in a couple weeks for this. In the meantime if anyone wants to toss me some copied plat so i can at least get my spells and other misc stuff, it would be much appreciated.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'll hook you up with some plat tonight. Keep an eye out for Mileye or Cheney in case I forget!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
My bard epic had a 16-20 hour camp in skyfire, but that was the worst of them. I remember sleeping and playing in shifts with my roommate, who had already gotten his epic. Also was on a PvP server, so punctuate that incredibly tedious camp in a zone that had non-trivial KOS wanderers with people occasionally rolling through and attacking me.

Was totally worth every second. The bard epic was so bonkers, especially for PvP. Can you imagine a single item in modern MMOs making you approximately TWICE as good as you were before at absolutely everything?

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 12, 2012

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table
I'm on Test also. Trying to get my SK up to swarming. I've got:

Zego - 78 Monk <Zen Cabal>
Treyburz - 71 Cleric
Zegwar - 65 Warrior
Treyik - 67 Wizard
Burz - 59 Shadowknight

Also some other characters I don't play much. Would love to group with some goons or whatever if people are gonna be playing. A couple of my chars are still in the goon guild from a few years ago. I can check to see if I have invite capability.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Sand Monster posted:

That was me. It is perhaps the only experience in my life where I have fond memories of it in waking hours, but have also had nightmares about it while sleeping.

What really irks me to this day is that all of the mages got furious at me (including one in my guild who brought his cleric) because we didn't go to island 6. We didn't have the people to do it and I knew that beyond doubt, but they all wanted the crown for their 1.0 epic (this was back when the 1.0 epic pet was absurdly powerful).

Now I just want to press on for the sake of exploration.

Edit: Keep in mind that the above raid was Sky, and we had way too many people, so we pissed away most of our time killing people and summoning their corpses up to the next island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Not in time, but in patheticness: I believe we spent in the area of 10-12 hours in Veeshan's Peak, and all we killed was Silverwing, who was easy. The rest of the hours were spent wiping over and over on Hoshkar, that gating rear end in a top hat. I still have this image from when he got trained to the entrance as we were about to CR: