Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This was pretty interesting to me. 4-year vertical of Mad Elf. Look at the colors:

That's from 2009 through this year, the color fades directly with age. You could graph that and it would be perfectly linear.

Taste pretty much follows directly. The 2009, there's nothing in there but the honey, both in the nose and the taste. No cherry's left, no hop, very little malt, just...honey. It's like a mead except it's not cloying and awful.

Also, it's the Happy Happy Joy Joy song:

Also: regarding the whole Westvleteren think, I really thing the 8 is a better dubbel than the 12 is a quad. Again, I'm not saying that the 12 isn't a world-class, top-notch beer, but the 8 is *perfect*. I really, really want to try the 6 some day.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

If you wind up at the tasting room in Tampa (about an hour away), I hear BA Big Sound (scotch ale) is really drat good.

Ha. No, couldn't pull that off. But found a solid bottle shop and will be packing some stuff to take home on Friday.

Drinking my first regular Jai Alai. This is insanely drinkable. More fruity than hoppy. I think I liked liked Humidor better, but I could see myself drinking this every summer day for the rest of my life.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Small 2 man beer session tonight:
Dissident
O'Dell Meddler
GI Juliet
Boulevard Rye-on-Rye
Maybe some BCBS to finish, but I doubt we'll be in the mood or condition for that.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Is Goose Island's Christmas any good? I trust what they do (unlike River Horse)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Jahoodie posted:

Is Goose Island's Christmas any good? I trust what they do (unlike River Horse)

I drank it tonight, very disappointed. There's nothing Christmas about this it has a sharp caramel and vegetable mid-taste. I'm glad I only bought a single.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

That's the story I've heard from a number of places, including Brew Like A Monk. The brewers at Bernardus say the same thing, though obviously their information about what is happening at Westvleteren is less perfect than their information about what they're doing in house. Personally I think they're both very fine, but I think Rochefort 10 clearly is the best of class.

I agree Rochefort 10 is my favorite, at least between ABT 12 and Rochefort 10. I think it's fantastic.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Midorka posted:

I drank it tonight, very disappointed. There's nothing Christmas about this it has a sharp caramel and vegetable mid-taste. I'm glad I only bought a single.

So skip it and hope to score a Kane 365?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

Palm Springs liquor and Windy City both are overflowing with OR XV, and Palm's got a few bottles of 14 left too. Nobody looks up in that store...it's where some of the best things go.

BDBS said they have 36 boxes of Westy, but we'll see what that number actually comes out to. Bine & Vine have 10 Westy boxes, Geoi thought he was getting 15 but only 10 came in. They're just sitting on the floor of the shop right now. Abyss is there today, also at Palm as well as Bevmo La Mesa. I'm at 3 bottles in an hour of driving, and should be able to come across a few more tomorrow. I'm trying to get a five-year rolling vertical going and need to do this for the next two years after this year to begin pulling that off.

If the Westy purchase goes well tomorrow I can't imagine buying any more beer for the rest of the year, which I'm sure is music to my wallet's ears.

I got some XV by just going to the Bristol Farms (they had a random Pliny the Elder there too, so I grabbed it while I was there), but they were out of Abyss already. I didn't see any Abyss at any other places until I went to the one closest to my house, and I got exactly one bottle.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Jahoodie posted:

So skip it and hope to score a Kane 365?

I bought a Kane 365 tonight, will be drinking soon. I've read good things.

IGotMine
Feb 12, 2009

SnowDog posted:

malty rich dark beers.

Edit: Ignore this, I misread your post.

Have you tried Berkshire Brewery's Coffeehouse Porter, though? Doesn't exactly fit the bill in your case, but it's one of their best I think, and better than any of the other local west mass dedicated dark beers.

IGotMine fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 12, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I am on the world's craziest Imperial Stout kick ever. I've got practically every stout there is to buy in town and I'd almost be embarassed to show people the volume and expense of the stuff I've been hoarding in the last few weeks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Angry Grimace posted:

I am on the world's craziest Imperial Stout kick ever. I've got practically every stout there is to buy in town and I'd almost be embarassed to show people the volume and expense of the stuff I've been hoarding in the last few weeks.

You can't just post that and then not show us. :colbert:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

Not that many people know of River Horse, nor would most people here consider drinking their beers if they came to their area, but I have to say avoid any Belgian beer they make. I'm guessing they have no idea how fermentation temps work, or have no temperature control and always ferment too high, but all of their Belgian beers are loving banana liquor tasting bombs. Absolutely gross, I drain poured their Tripel last night and did the same with their Belgian Freeze a week ago.

Their Oatmeal Milk Stout is excellent though.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

that's odd, as I recall the Freeze was the only thing they made that I thought was decent enough to have a second time.

The oatmeal stout is fine, but it's a buck more than Left Hand Milk Stout, and it's not any tastier, so I only bought it the once.

e: and the brewery, I don't even know. I didn't do the tour so maybe that's really good (it's not) but the tasting room is basically all the ambiance of standing around drinking in someone's shed that they slapped some drywall up into. It's loud if 3 people are talking, there are honestly I think 4 stools, 2 counters, and when I was there there were 60 people. And the beers sell at regular retail price for bottles (if for some stupid reason you want to take some home,) there are no free tastes unless maybe they offer one after you do the tour, and the pours at the sad little bar are like regular bar price, which is pretty cozy since they have like 0 overhead. And they do the lovely tiny glass pour, too.

Triumph is a bit of a chain, and I know some people don't like it, but there is one like 2 miles from River Horse and it is 100% better to visit.

e 2: wow I did not know I had that much to say about that.

My best friends live in Lambertville/New Hope, so this discussion is somewhat relevant to my interests, given that I'm out drinking there at least 1 weekend of every month. :shobon:

River Horse - Agreed that their tasting room is small and cramped as hell but I give them credit for the fact that it is consistently still to overflowing. Also their tasting pours are like 2 oz for $1, not sure where you got the whole 'regular bar price pours' thing from. I have the same banana issue as Midorka does with their Tripel, and everyone thinks I'm crazy for it. Go figure. I'm actually going to be at their stout release party this coming Saturday, because what the hell, it's cheap and they throw good parties. But of course it's not that awesome to visit normally, it's a working (and highly overtaxed) brewery with a tiny tasting room so people don't walk away disappointed. (also they probably can't sell bottles for cheaper than market price because of distributor laws or something, I remember they couldn't start selling bottles of their new release till after their distributors had it in NJ)

Triumph - I wish I liked their beers a bit more than I did. When I started drinking beer I thought this place was the poo poo and was getting a growler of whatever at every opportunity. Lately I've cooled off a bit towards them, but the main advantage of that place is that they have enough variety in their beer that I can generally find something I like. Overall this place is a great choice for food and trying lots of good beer, if you're in the New Hope area check it out.

:goonsay: about New Hope/Lambertville, holy crap.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Podima posted:

River Horse - Agreed that their tasting room is small and cramped as hell but I give them credit for the fact that it is consistently still to overflowing. Also their tasting pours are like 2 oz for $1, not sure where you got the whole 'regular bar price pours' thing from.

Tiny and packed is worse than just tiny, to me. But yeah, people do turn up for it. I would be proud of the crowds they pull in if I were them.

A buck for a tasting glass is a totally fair price. I remember the prices being something like $5 per beer or $6 for a tasting flight of 4 beers. If full beers are $5ish then I still think that's a bit rich. My gripe with the tasting thing wasn't the price, it was that it didn't include anything but their standard year-rounds and those aren't very good.

Just for the record, I think I bought at least one pack of every River Horse I ever saw on the shelves, just because they were local.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Random (non-beer) people in my office keep coming up to me to ask "did you buy that special beer that was released today???" They mean Westvleteren, which wasn't even released in my state. I have no idea how they are even finding out about it. :stare:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sirotan posted:

Random (non-beer) people in my office keep coming up to me to ask "did you buy that special beer that was released today???" They mean Westvleteren, which wasn't even released in my state. I have no idea how they are even finding out about it. :stare:

there was a story on NPR about it this morning

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cryme posted:

yeah, i heard that and was like, "oh, yeah, that's something i'm not doing today!" maybe if i hadn't had it before, but my friend got one of the cases that was up in NY/NE a few months back, so i've been fortunate enough to scratch that itch a few times.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

cryme posted:

Oh, yeah, that's probably it then.

Kinda glad it wasn't released in Michigan, I probably would have tried to buy one. I've got two bottles of it sitting around now that I've not drank yet. I keep telling myself that I'll try some other trappists/quads first so I can better appreciate them.

Edit: Wasn't the Westy release supposed to happen months ago? Or was it always going to be today? I only just realized its the Westy 12 and its 12/12/12. :downs:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 12, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Podima posted:

Triumph - I wish I liked their beers a bit more than I did. When I started drinking beer I thought this place was the poo poo and was getting a growler of whatever at every opportunity. Lately I've cooled off a bit towards them, but the main advantage of that place is that they have enough variety in their beer that I can generally find something I like. Overall this place is a great choice for food and trying lots of good beer, if you're in the New Hope area check it out.

What I liked about Triumph's Princeton location is that it's a nice safe area, and the brewpub itself is very clean and modern feeling, it definitely feels like the kind of place you're going to spend at least $45 for two people, not including tip. I though it was awesome they had 8 4 ounce pours for something like $8? I can't remember but I tried every beer they had on tap as a sampler and thought, "wow that's not bad at all." Maybe it was $12, I'm not sure. The thing I didn't like though is that we got stuck in a room where the loving Yankees were playing and all the loving rich yuppies there, drinking the honey wheat beer nonetheless, were cheering for the loving Yankees. I mean come on does it ever get old cheering for those fuckers?

Iron Hill Maple Shade has the absolute best sweet potato fries in this world though and the vanilla bourbon sauce they give you, along with a buffalo and habanero, is like candy. I could eat those til I die.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Got called by the local TW last night that my 4 Olde Hickory Event Horizons came in, so now I'm going to head there during lunch. If they still have Westy available it's going to be hard to pass up.

Did you see that someone's already trying to sell the empty Westy box for $230?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Retemnav posted:

Got called by the local TW last night that my 4 Olde Hickory Event Horizons came in, so now I'm going to head there during lunch. If they still have Westy available it's going to be hard to pass up.

Did you see that someone's already trying to sell the empty Westy box for $230?

quote:

This auction is for a box that once contained the highly sought after Westvleteren XII.

I am selling the original box with the two included chalices. All other original packaging material that came new in the box will be included.

Questions welcomed. Buy with confidence.

An empty box, but including the glasses and everything else that was in the box. So, an empty box, full of stuff. Sounds to me like he's just trying to sneak past the eBay alcohol prohibition.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Hah, makes sense.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Really enjoying the Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper. I'd never had it until I sprung for the barrel aged version, which was amazing, and just had the regular version, which is a fantastic imperial stout.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
NJ Goons: Huffington Post or some random website did the best beer from each state, and New Jersey's winner was Ramstein's Double Platinum Blonde. Discuss.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Sup bithces? :coolfish:

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

swickles posted:

Sup bithces? :coolfish:

didnt you already post that pic a weed ago :frogout:

furthermore, if you arent having a raffle for who in this thread gets to buy the other one from you, or aren't giving/selling the other set to a friend, you're a piece of poo poo :colbert:

i bet it's good though :3:

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 12, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Glottis posted:

Really enjoying the Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper. I'd never had it until I sprung for the barrel aged version, which was amazing, and just had the regular version, which is a fantastic imperial stout.

I think it ages pretty nicely. I did a review of 9 month bottle last year and enjoyed the more sweet notes of it, while fresher (3 months) is a bit too strong of dark chocolate and molasses.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

TenaciousTomato posted:

didnt you already post that pic a weed ago :frogout:

furthermore, if you arent having a raffle for who in this thread gets to buy the other one from you, or aren't giving/selling the other set to a friend, you're a piece of poo poo :colbert:

i bet it's good though :3:

One is mine and the other is my buddy's, but we might be up for trades.

I just took the picture this morning, maybe you are confusing me with someone else?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
I didn't realize that the boxes didn't come with the normal Westvleteren glasses.

e:

Arnold of Soissons fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 12, 2012

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Since I live in PA, the land of no fun I had a friend in Portland run out to a nearby store this morning to try and score me one of the Westy 12 gift boxes. He managed to pick up the last one, so I'm pretty psyched. I have missed out on a couple opportunities to try 8 before so I was not going to let this one get away.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

swickles posted:

One is mine and the other is my buddy's, but we might be up for trades.

I just took the picture this morning, maybe you are confusing me with someone else?

My fault, I had serious de-ja-vu when I read your post for some reason :psyduck:

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007

Retemnav posted:

Welp, the Winston TW had about 20 still, so I now have an awesome xmas gift to myself.

Element1290
Oct 17, 2012
I'd consider giving up my lifestyle to be a monk and drink that brew every day.

Element1290 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 12, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Retemnav posted:

Welp, the Winston TW had about 20 still, so I now have an awesome xmas gift to myself.

I'm not super surprised that they still had some - its Belgian and expensive.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Element1290 posted:

I'd consider giving up my lifestyle to be a monk and drink that brew every day.

I'm pretty sure all they do is pray, brew, and paint all day. Every. Day.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Sirotan posted:

Oh, yeah, that's probably it then.

Kinda glad it wasn't released in Michigan, I probably would have tried to buy one. I've got two bottles of it sitting around now that I've not drank yet. I keep telling myself that I'll try some other trappists/quads first so I can better appreciate them.

Edit: Wasn't the Westy release supposed to happen months ago? Or was it always going to be today? I only just realized its the Westy 12 and its 12/12/12. :downs:

I had the option to reserve a brick ahead of time and decided not to do it. Can't justify the money for a full six pack (drat you Shane for not splitting it with me), when I've already had it three times and didn't find it that mind-blowing.

Element1290
Oct 17, 2012

air- posted:

I'm pretty sure all they do is pray, brew, and paint all day. Every. Day.

I said drink, not paint... Guess I'll just keep waiting to find some Westy here.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm a little confused about the Westy sale, actually. Reputable places that weren't on that list clearly have bricks for sale and are advertising them.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Maybe they expanded the program to more stores after that list was generated

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RiggenBlaque posted:

Maybe they expanded the program to more stores after that list was generated

The list was only published on the 3rd - San Diego had two stores listed as selling, but I just saw an ad from Bottlecraft showing their bricks and advertising them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Went to a sampling last night at a local liquor store that was done by the owner (or one of the owners) of Central Waters. He brought Y2K Barleywine (never actually had it before, last year I only saw it once, whereas the Bourbon Barrel one was in abundance which I thought was kinda odd), the newest batch of the Bourbon Barrel Stout (it's now aged for a full year instead of six months), and a growler of 1414. Drank one of the '12 BB Stouts last night and enjoyed it more than the 2011 I drank the other night.