Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I admit that I enjoy riding a bike nobody's really heard of.

"What do you ride?"

"A Bandit."

"A what?"

"A Harley."

"Oh, sweet! My dad has one of those I think."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

:v::respek::xd: Glad my photo is going to good forum use.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Xovaan posted:

I admit that I enjoy riding a bike nobody's really heard of.

"What do you ride?"

"A Bandit."

"A what?"

"A Harley."

"Oh, sweet! My dad has one of those I think."

heh I don't say F4i anymore, I just say CBR600

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

You can run but you cannot hide! Red & White is Worldwide!!!

I've been on motorcycles for nearly forty years. Some truths as I see them are:

1. Your ninja 650 will beat my Harley 88 (1400 cc) in speed any day of the week. That's OK. Ninjas however are built to be fast...it's a totally different machine. However, if I maintain my Harley, someone will be drinking beer out of the cans made from your recycled Ninja long before I rebuild my Harley engine.

2. Motorcycle clubs are not gangs. Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMGs) are a law enforcement fabrication. While you were sleeping, the government modified the US Constitution by the "gangarization" of various groups of citizens at will, along with the loss of certain legal protections due to Nixon's ongoing "war on drugs." I love the freedoms we used to have.

3. Any idiot that would discuss club (or if you must, OMG) business with an outsider, is not a club (OMG) member.

4. Always apply the front and rear brakes according to the situation. Safety is not just the road-captain's job.

5. Helmets are safer, but I don't wear one all the time. I also don't want the government telling me that I "have' to wear one. At 80 MPH, a helmet is most likely not going to matter anyway.

6. Its not a question as to "if" you are involved in an accident, but "when." Usually it will be the car driver's fault. My most recent accident (2007) left me with a titanium rod in my right ankle.

7. Chicks that are impressed by shiny cars & motorcycles, are just vapid enough to avoid.

8. I ride because it's fun.

9. If you can actually "lay it down" to avoid an accident, then you're Steve McQueen reincarnated.

10. Loud pipes don't necessarily save lives, but "Loud pipes Save Lives" is a nifty rhyme. In some municipalities, loud pipes can attract traffic tickets and police harassment.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
A Pretty Good Troll

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
The gently caress did I just read?

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

A Pretty Good Troll
Not a troll...just commenting on the thread overall beginning at the earliest posts.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Just to be clear,

Krazie K posted:

1. Your ninja 650 will beat my Harley 88 (1400 cc) in speed any day of the week. That's OK. Ninjas however are built to be fast...it's a totally different machine. However, if I maintain my Harley, someone will be drinking beer out of the cans made from your recycled Ninja long before I rebuild my Harley engine.

People get tens of thousands of miles out of modern (non-KTM) bike engines, if not more, without major work beyond valve adjustments. Bikes generally have three causes of death: wrecks, going horribly and unforgivably out of style, and being neglected so badly that their degeneration is beyond what the owner feels they're worth bringing back from. Harleys used to have an advantage over generic japbikes on the enduring style front, but relentless hipsterization has meant even the goofiest El-Plastico 80's rides have niche followings. Disc brakes, fuel injection and modern electronics/ignition mean you can (you shouldn't, but you can) treat a bike like complete rear end for a good while before it starts having trouble, and bringing it back to riding condition is considerably less hassle than it used to be. (eBay and internet sources for older bike parts also help.)

Assuming vaguely similar riding patterns with non-trivial annual mileage (i.e. ignoring bikes that leave the garage three weekends a year) there's little reason why a vaguely modern Ninja or other japbike wouldn't last as long as a Harley.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Krazie K posted:

6. Its not a question as to "if" you are involved in an accident, but "when." Usually it will be the car driver's fault. My most recent accident (2007) left me with a titanium rod in my right ankle.

I hate this mentality since there are very few accidents, even when it's totally the car driver's fault, that the rider couldn't have done something differently.

Krazie K posted:

5. Helmets are safer, but I don't wear one all the time. I also don't want the government telling me that I "have' to wear one. At 80 MPH, a helmet is most likely not going to matter anyway.

Hahaha

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Stupid ± Troll. Also meta, definitely meta.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Krazie K posted:

2. Motorcycle clubs are not gangs. Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMGs) are a law enforcement fabrication. While you were sleeping, the government modified the US Constitution by the "gangarization" of various groups of citizens at will, along with the loss of certain legal protections due to Nixon's ongoing "war on drugs." I love the freedoms we used to have.

OMG's are very much a real thing. I haven't seen Sons of Anarchy so I'm sure whatever typical impressions are these days are Hollywoodified, but in the Bylaw having, drug trafficking, weapon trafficking, violent crime committing, group of dudes with a group name and colors sense they exist. They resemble any other gang or crime organization, but have motorcycles at their core. I grew up with some family that was heavily involved with this sort of outfit, and have seen tamer gatherings with my own eyes. Beyond personal anecdotes though, there have been several reporters and anthropologists that have run with these crews and submitted reports, and there have been a couple undercover agents over the years that got in close to one and have had their stories well covered.

Here's a book on one written by one of said anthropologists. They're pretty common in Chicagoland. I see the occasional 1%'er just out to breakfast or buying groceries, I guess they could be posers but it wouldn't surprise me either way.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Helmets not saving your life at 80+? I think there are some Moto GP guys who could set you straight on that.

Harley outlasting a Jap bike? The bike that is properly maintained will last longer.

You're going to have an accident no matter what, and it's almost always the drivers fault? Statistics clearly show that most motorcycle related accidents don't involve another vehicle and are the rider's fault. It's a dumb mindset to ride around expecting a crash. Ride to prevent one, not expecting one.

Women who like cars & bikes are "vapid"? Is it because they have vaginas and don't actually understand bikes like Real MenTM? Why can women not like motorcycles without being dumb hoores? Is my girlfriend vapid because she likes my bike? Way to perpetuate gender stereotypes.

Motorcycle gangs most certainly exist. There's even a chapter of the Banditos in my home town, and they don't just get together ti talk about chrome & the game at the local watering hole.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 12, 2012

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

Helmets not saving your life at 80+? I think there are some Moto GP guys who could set you straight on that.

Harley outlasting a Jap bike? The bike that is properly maintained will last longer.

You're going to have an accident no matter what, and it's almost always the drivers fault? Statistics clearly show that most motorcycle related accidents don't involve another vehicle and are the rider's fault. It's a dumb mindset to ride around expecting a crash. Ride to prevent one, not expecting one.

Women who like cars & bikes are "vapid"? Is it because they have vaginas and don't actually understand bikes like Real MenTM? Why can women not like motorcycles without being dumb hoores? Is my girlfriend vapid because she likes my bike? Way to perpetuate gender stereotypes.

Motorcycle gangs most certainly exist. There's even a chapter of the Banditos in my home town, and they don't just get together ti talk about chrome & the game at the local watering hole.

Dude, put it back in your pants. Dude with 40+ years of riding experience tosses up a fairly innocuous post. You don't need to reddit-nerd rage it up in here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Outlaw motorcycle gangs are definitely real. I took my bike test with two aspiring Hells Angels and they were definitely up for doing some really bad poo poo.

I take it you've heard of the Great Nordic Biker War? A significant number of people were killed, even assassinated. Innocent people got hurt, entire neighborhoods were deserted when new chapters popped up. They even used goddamn anti-tank rockets on each others' clubhouses, no poo poo.

To this day, Hells Angels and Bandidos control the vast majority of the drugs and prostitution in northern Europe and they aggressively attack anyone who tries to put an end to it, many innocent lives are on their consciences. So don't give me poo poo about how outlaw motorcycle gangs don't exist. They do, and they're bad news.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 12, 2012

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ThatCguy posted:

Dude with 40+ years of riding experience

And somehow was born in the 90's

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Krazie K posted:

I've been on motorcycles for nearly forty years. Some truths as I see them are:

3. Any idiot that would discuss club (or if you must, OMG) business with an outsider, is not a club (OMG) member.

4. Always apply the front and rear brakes according to the situation. Safety is not just the road-captain's job.

7. Chicks that are impressed by shiny cars & motorcycles, are just vapid enough to avoid.

8. I ride because it's fun.

9. If you can actually "lay it down" to avoid an accident, then you're Steve McQueen reincarnated.

10. Loud pipes don't necessarily save lives, but "Loud pipes Save Lives" is a nifty rhyme. In some municipalities, loud pipes can attract traffic tickets and police harassment.

:frogout:

Pope Mobile posted:

Dude, you just got trolled pretty hard, didn't you?

ThatCguy posted:

Dude, put it back in your pants. Dude with 40+ years of riding experience tosses up a fairly innocuous post. You don't need to reddit-nerd rage it up in here.

To call that a fairly innocuous post is kind of like calling a post detailing the merits of Mein Kampf on a Holocaust survivor's board "diplomatic".

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I need a hug from Marv Hushman

Krazie K
Aug 16, 2007

Flikken posted:

And somehow was born in the 90's
1961 actually, but thanks.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I thought we only discussed stupid motorcycle poo poo that we've overheard ITT.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ThatCguy posted:

I know right? Stupid misconceptions sure count as "experience".

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

I know right? Stupid misconceptions sure count as "experience".

It's a comedy forum discussing motorcycles on the internet. Eat some fiber.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ThatCguy posted:

I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast. Kindly go gently caress yourself, sir.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ThatCguy posted:

Not being safe on a bike and propogating stereotypes isnt all that welcome in CA. This part of SA isnt much of a comedy forum.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
25 new posts in the "Overheard stupid poo poo" thread...You know what that means.

I don't agree with everything Krazie K said but frankly 3 month rider wulfram and anyone with that attitude can gently caress right off. Discussion is fine, if you want to be a douche go to reddit so you can downvote all the posts you don't like.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 12, 2012

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not being safe on a bike and propogating stereotypes isnt all that welcome in CA. This part of SA isnt much of a comedy forum.

No part of SA is a comedy forum any more, it's as if people on here want to try and out-reddit reddit for pure nerd rage.

As for passive safety gear? Eh. I take more issue with idiots "stunting" on the highway, barreling across lane lines into blind turns, tailgating, bad road position, etc.

You don't wanna wear gear? Okay. You're an adult. I can't force you, and only certain states in the US can as well. Is it loving stupid to go out there without a helmet or proper protective gear? Of course. Of course, riding a motorcycle is inherently loving stupid. All gear is doing is providing a modicum of risk mitigation. Suzy Soccermom staring down at her iphone as she plows into you in her 3 ton SUV doesn't give a poo poo that you're going "ATG".

Let's be honest, 90% of riding a cruiser is the look. Which looks cooler, dude open faced, hair in the breeze in a hoodie and jeans, or a stay puft marshmellow man in a yellow high viz aerostich and full face? Again, you're looking at a 5% risk reduction in an already stupid situation.

Is this a really dumb reason? Sure. Once again, you've already made a series of "dumb" decisions, what's one more?

For the record, I'm personally an ATGATT. Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, suit when I'm going on longer highway jaunts, leathers when I'm having fun on backroads, etc. I'm not advocating bucketless by any stretch of the imagination, but I understand why you would.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nsaP posted:

25 new posts in the "Overheard stupid poo poo" thread...You know what that means.

That the stupid is coming from inside the thread?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

That the stupid is coming from inside the thread?

OH MY GOD! IT'S COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ThatCguy posted:

Let's be honest, 90% of riding a cruiser is the look. Which looks cooler, dude open faced, hair in the breeze in a hoodie and jeans, or a stay puft marshmellow man in a yellow high viz aerostich and full face? Again, you're looking at a 5% risk reduction in an already stupid situation.

I'm gonna take a random guess here and say that wearing a helmet mitigates a lot more than 5% of the risk. MotoGP racers regularly walk away from crashes at speeds that would turn an un-armored human into a fine paste.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Just gonna link to dis: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184566&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=36#post410224022

echomadman posted:

The irony of you guys calling reddit a bunch of nitpicking safety nazis is delicious.

Oh and dis, on Krazie K's very short post history that seems to suggest he wasn't born in the 90s...
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2587867&pagenumber=802&perpage=40#post374262935

Krazie K posted:

I likes rollin' a little quiet.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ThatCguy posted:

I ride a cruiser, I even chopped it all down and made it look even better. I also wear an armored leather cruiser jacket, kevlar jeans, leather chaps, boots, gloves and a full face helmet. I even sometimes throw armor under my chaps that I can remove when I get to where I am going. I dont look like a stay puft marshmellow man, although chaps are ridiculous.

I get the "freedom" aesthetic, I just think its silly. My brown leather stuff looks just fine to me and protect me pretty well. Not as well as a full leather racing suit, obviously, but Im not spending that kind of cash, I dont have it to burn.

Regardless half my friends dont wear anything but a novelty helmet, if that. One of my buddies owns everything that I own but refuses to wear it because he likes the "freedom."

I would say 5% is a pretty low number to put on gear. Low speed accidents can kill you and shatter bones just as easily as high speed, that helmet and armor can be the difference between dead or a vegetable and slightly shaken up.

Indian Larry died in a way that even a lovely nvoolty helmet would have helped him live throuhg easily. He just bounced the back of his skull off the ground going slow when he fell off the bike.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

I was using the same factbase that he was :colbert:

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

quote:

I'm gonna take a random guess here and say that wearing a helmet mitigates a lot more than 5% of the risk. MotoGP racers regularly walk away from crashes at speeds that would turn an un-armored human into a fine paste.

MotoGP racers also don't tend to run head on into 2 ton moving objects and guard rails. Pretty much any modern approved racetrack has long gravel runoff areas and soft walls. When you're sliding on your spine protector for 50 yards, you tend to scrub off that momentum and energy fairly easily. You're not generally afforded that luxury on the street.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

All that photo did was to reaffirm my lack of respect for him. That is the last I will say on that matter. :colbert:

ThatCguy posted:

MotoGP racers also don't tend to run head on into 2 ton moving objects and guard rails. Pretty much any modern approved racetrack has long gravel runoff areas and soft walls. When you're sliding on your spine protector for 50 yards, you tend to scrub off that momentum and energy fairly easily. You're not generally afforded that luxury on the street.

When we dicuss MotoGP or any kind of racing accident and how the rider is affected it is primarily to demonstrate that a helmet, and other gear, will provide protection all things being equal. The purpose of this is to show those who claim "helmets don't make a difference at all / at real world speeds / cause broken necks" precisely how absurd their logic is. If you get into an accident while wearing a full-face helmet and you end up with a broken neck then the chances are higher that something else caused it (such as your helmet being improperly fitted).

There is no reason to not wear a full-face helmet. However, I do not support government enforcement on this matter. If you are an adult and you have access to a helmet and you deliberately, consciously make the decision not to wear it then more power to you; you should be applauded for your determination to weed the stupid out of our gene pool. (I say "you" in the general sense, I am not directing this to you personally. Also, I say this knowing that I sometimes don't wear a helmet on my way to the mailbox because - hey! - it's just a quick ride up there and back, why should I? But, I'm also a big boy willing to take responsibility for my choices.)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wulframn posted:

All that photo did was to reaffirm my lack of respect for him. That is the last I will say on that matter. :colbert:

Well you're a naive fool, and we need diversity in members and opinion more than we need people with experience measured in youtube views and Keith Code books.

Disagree with someone sure, but the last thing we need is to run off posters(which we have a problem with).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

Well you're a naive fool, and we need diversity in members and opinion more than we need people with experience measured in youtube views and Keith Code books.

Still carrying the torch for our dear lost Count Von mootmoot? :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Definitely. What's a better way to get across that mootmoot style riding is dangerous? 5 paragraphs of lecture to a new rider, or mootmoot's own posting and videos?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

nsaP posted:

Disagree with someone sure, but the last thing we need is to run off posters(which we have a problem with).

I apologize if it appears that I am attempting to run him off, but his fallacious post is not the kind of diversity that is wanted or welcome. If he is here to be open-minded and learn (which I like to think he is, being a member) then he needs to stop spreading information that we have long since eschewed.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Wulframn posted:

I apologize if it appears that I am attempting to run him off, but his fallacious post is not the kind of diversity that is wanted or welcome. If he is here to be open-minded and learn (which I like to think he is, being a member) then he needs to stop spreading information that we have long since eschewed.

He's not the diversity we need right now, but the diversity that we deserve. Like a Dark Troll, watching over all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Does anyone remember his youtube channel or did all of the videos on it get removed? The sparkie toes one was my favorite :3:

• Locked thread