Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Relevant video that probably everyone's already seen but still worth reposting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwk0dfj6LFg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Similarly, the valves of a motor at 14,000rpm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcyT18qk8ls

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

God drat. I was cringing watching that video, just expecting something to go catastrophically wrong and destroy the camera / fling shrapnel at my face.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I never knew the valves actually rotated in the head at high RPM until I watched those videos.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lothire posted:

Supposedly there's a nut I can adjust somewhere that will do something? 2002 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit.

Rear brake lights usually work like this: A small spring connects the brake pedal to a little rod. Pulling on this rod closes the circuit and lights up the brake light. This is the rod you need to check if it's stuck, it's a tiny little thing and has no effect on the braking itself. If it's not stuck, then perhaps it's adjusted wrong. How much it needs to be pulled to light up can be adjusted with the nut you mention.

Here's a random one I googled:

Adjusting the nuts changes how far the rod extends *ahem* and in turn how quickly the rear lights up *ahem ahem*

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Similarly, watch the magic of fuel injection, or rather gas showers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX2L-kS7ZL8

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Engines are fast! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NpzU4pGjc

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

...note my name on SA then note the uploader of that video... ;)

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Pope Mobile posted:

Broke 20,000 miles some time last week: time for a valve clearance check. Anyone done it on a FZ6 before? How difficult is it? I've never done it before, but I've been able to do all other types of maintenance so far.

Here is a pretty helpful guide...but you will have to register for the pics. https://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/f91/fz6r-valve-adjustment-24098/

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

I'm pretty sure rocker arms are only really good up until around 9k RPM, so for older bikes that was plenty sufficient.

The Bandit 600 has adjustable clearances and goes to 12K RPM.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Engines are fast, but goons are faster! [edit] Except at sports.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Note my name on SA and then forget it but I also own a Black MKIV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KozmoNaut posted:

The Bandit 600 has adjustable clearances and goes to 12K RPM.

Probably some ratio of valve size/spring strength to rocker arm length then. I dunno what the highest performing engines are with rocker arms.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Probably some ratio of valve size/spring strength to rocker arm length then. I dunno what the highest performing engines are with rocker arms.

I thought all the GS engines were DOHC? Seems a bit weird they'd put rocker arms in there at all but if they did a DOHC layout would make them pretty short. I suppose strictly speaking desmo engines have rocker arms to close the valve so there's your highest-performance one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought all the GS engines were DOHC? Seems a bit weird they'd put rocker arms in there at all but if they did a DOHC layout would make them pretty short. I suppose strictly speaking desmo engines have rocker arms to close the valve so there's your highest-performance one.

Why would you run a dohc setup with rocker arms anyways? I guess to shorten the arms? The KTM 690 engine has rocker arms as well, but with a shim over bucket design that is sohc.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The old SOHC CB550 and 650s went up to 14k or so with adjustable arms. Shims are just annoying, I guess.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Z3n posted:

Why would you run a dohc setup with rocker arms anyways? I guess to shorten the arms? The KTM 690 engine has rocker arms as well, but with a shim over bucket design that is sohc.

I think the 16-valve GS engines are the ones that have rockers. Dunno why.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Z3n posted:

Why would you run a dohc setup with rocker arms anyways? I guess to shorten the arms?

So you can operate multiple valves from a single cam lobe. At least that's what the Honda v4's use them for. Why? Beats me. Maybe its a weight thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

Well, they're not really rocker arms, they're sorta hinged and the cam lobes press on them:

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Oh I know, I just finished setting the lash on mine. But I guess your right. It doesn't really "rock" if it's pivot is on the end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

I think the 16-valve GS engines are the ones that have rockers. Dunno why.

IIRC, my ZZR1200 had DOHC with rocker arms too, but they were again a shim over bucket design. You could slide the rockers to the side to get to the shim to adjust it. Maybe that was another bike? I honestly don't recall.

I guess the shim design is for longer maintenance intervals, with the shim going under the bucket for extremely high RPM use (15k+ redline?), and there's no real performance disadvantage to using rockers of a sort.

Here's the KTM design for those curious:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Actually thinking about it, short rocker arms make a kind of sense even for DOHC engines - otherwise you have to actually remove the camshafts to do the clearances. Not that manufacturers normally care about such things, of course, so maybe there's another reason.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Ola posted:

Rear brake lights usually work like this: A small spring connects the brake pedal to a little rod. Pulling on this rod closes the circuit and lights up the brake light. This is the rod you need to check if it's stuck, it's a tiny little thing and has no effect on the braking itself. If it's not stuck, then perhaps it's adjusted wrong. How much it needs to be pulled to light up can be adjusted with the nut you mention.

Adjusting the nuts changes how far the rod extends *ahem* and in turn how quickly the rear lights up *ahem ahem*

Giggling aside, I tried to assess my bike for these parts and I believe I found them, but my inexperience held me back from goofing around with these parts more than just jiggling them around to see if anything was obviously stuck from dirt/etc. I couldn't get a good grasp of what is what, so I was afraid I'd make something bad to worse if I started twisting nuts and such.

So, I took it in the shop and they found rather quickly what was wrong. As it turns out, my problem wasn't a stuck-on brake light like I thought. The light was on its normal setting like it's suppose to be, it was just that the brakes weren't sending the "brighten brake lights" signal, so they weren't getting any brighter when used. There's a piece of wiring that connects to the battery to.. Well, somewhere, and that wiring is responsible for passing along the signal. When they had taken the battery out a few days ago to test/charge it, they had used the same wiring thinking it wasn't in that bad a shape. Clearly it was worse than they had appraised it to be, as it wasn't working anymore. They put in a new wire, it works fine again, didn't charge me anything.

The fun part about all this was that I got to test out my gear/bike skills in the rain. It went rather well - only a few parts of me got wet. My tires are still pre-worn in and I tend to ride about as carefully as I drive. Had a lot of fun, but I discovered another problem..

My visor/glasses fog like crazy if I have the visor closed all the way. I currently leave it open a small bit but wind and poo poo messes with my eyes in an unfun way. I asked if they had anything at the shop and they offered a spray (I remember someone said it was poo poo), or something about using a pin-visor that has a anti-fog strip on it. They said it woulda cost me some 60 bucks so I didn't jump on it. I'm hoping someone might have a better alternative. A friend of mine suggested I get some anti-fog cloth he uses when he snowboards. Amazon had some solid reviews and it wasn't expensive, so I bought a pack along with some other stuff I'll want.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Lothire posted:

My visor/glasses fog like crazy if I have the visor closed all the way. I currently leave it open a small bit but wind and poo poo messes with my eyes in an unfun way. I asked if they had anything at the shop and they offered a spray (I remember someone said it was poo poo), or something about using a pin-visor that has a anti-fog strip on it. They said it woulda cost me some 60 bucks so I didn't jump on it. I'm hoping someone might have a better alternative. A friend of mine suggested I get some anti-fog cloth he uses when he snowboards. Amazon had some solid reviews and it wasn't expensive, so I bought a pack along with some other stuff I'll want.

As a fellow glasses wearer, I feel your pain. Does your helmet have a chin vent? I find that, between keeping that wide open and opening my visor at lights, I'm able to keep fog down.

Pinlock strips own bones according to many people on these forums. I've never used one, but I'm pretty sure my current helmet allows for it.

Let us know how your anti-fog cloth works. I've been tempted to try a bunch of snowboardy stuff on my helmet, never have.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
My helmet is the HJC flip-up deal. It has a vent thing I can pop open and it makes a difference, but going around street speeds doesn't seem to bring in enough air if I also don't crack open the visor a bit. But I've also been so busy getting a feel for riding that I haven't messed with it a lot, so perhaps I can do something still.

I'll try out the wipes and report, though shipping will take a while. Not really holding my breath too much on it but any money I can save is a nice thing.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

On that note, I don't know how I lived before Amazon Prime.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The fog cloth thing, was it Fog Tech? They come as wet wipes or in a bottle. I got the bottle and find it incredibly effective, although each application doesn't last very long.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I really like my pinlock lenses. As for keeping my glasses from fogging, I got a breath box insert for my helmet, and when using that with the chin vent on the helmet, the glasses hardly ever fog. The visor absolutely never fogs. The pinlock has worked perfectly so far. The pinlock insert itself is very easy to scratch, though. My clear one got all scratched up when I was storing it in the plastic sleeve it came in.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Lothire posted:

My helmet is the HJC flip-up deal. It has a vent thing I can pop open and it makes a difference, but going around street speeds doesn't seem to bring in enough air if I also don't crack open the visor a bit. But I've also been so busy getting a feel for riding that I haven't messed with it a lot, so perhaps I can do something still.

I'll try out the wipes and report, though shipping will take a while. Not really holding my breath too much on it but any money I can save is a nice thing.

Venting doesn't generally do poo poo if you're riding in a cold, humid environment.

On the visor:

* clean visor with water, remove dirt/salt and dry, then open visor
* dry hands
* grasp bottle of generic concentrated washing up liquid
* dispense two small drops onto an index finger
* apply to inside of visor and rub it around most of the inner surface
* if there is any foaming or streaking (e.g. you're in a humid room), rub with a dry paper towel while still wet and this should go.
* allow to dry for at least 5 minutes

This will PROBABLY also work with glasses and shouldn't affect optical quality, but since I don't wear them I have no idea.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Since we're showing valves, here's mine (Versys/650R engine)

I use Plexus on my visor and it works incredibly well (plus it's like RainX for helmets). I've stopped wearing glasses as I couldn't get them to stop fogging.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 12, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Saga posted:

Same as dish soap?

E.g. this, what you would use at the sink, not what you would use in a dishwasher?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Saga posted:

Venting doesn't generally do poo poo if you're riding in a cold, humid environment.

On the visor:

* clean visor with water, remove dirt/salt and dry, then open visor
* dry hands
* dispense two small drops onto an index finger
* apply to inside of visor and rub it around most of the inner surface
* if there is any foaming or streaking (e.g. you're in a humid room), rub with a dry paper towel while still wet and this should go.
* allow to dry for at least 5 minutes

This will PROBABLY also work with glasses and shouldn't affect optical quality, but since I don't wear them I have no idea.

Don't do it with coated glasses lenses, the acid in the washing up liquid will attack the coating. Most opticians will sell sprays to fog-proof your glasses, but generally just making sure they're properly clean will do the trick just as well.

TBH though I actually just concentrate on my breathing - in through the nose, out through the mouth, and just blow down on the exhale (fnarr), and my visor and glasses rarely mist at all.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
After years of glasses I finally got contacts a few weeks after my bike, they make a world of difference. Much larger FOV, no fogging, no glasses arms screwing with my ears, and one less thing to keep track of when taking off gear. Any reason you guys aren't wearing contacts?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Any reason you guys aren't wearing contacts?

I can't stand putting them in and taking them out. I got some trial pairs, wore them religiously for a week, and then decided "never again."

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

I can't stand putting them in and taking them out. I got some trial pairs, wore them religiously for a week, and then decided "never again."

I had a similar experience, was amazed by being able to see without glasses but for some reason I had constant problems taking the contact out of my right eye, same thing every day for the two week trial, left contact just popped out, right eye was a 10 minute ordeal every time.
People have told me the daily disposables are really soft and i'd have better luck with the more rigid reusable ones but the whole experience put me off them.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I can hardly believe people willingly poke themselves in the eye every day :aaa:

I can't even give myself eyedrops :ohdear:

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
Man, you guys are pansies. I can't even imagine wearing glasses these days, especially with a helmet. The few times I've had to switch back (scratched cornea, that was fun) was a nightmare with both a bike helmet and the race car.

Not to mention this, you've got metal and glass in very close proximity to your eyes, enclosed inside a device that will keep anything that gets broken in close proximity to your eyes. Think about that in a crash situation.

Contacts take about 4-6 weeks to become "comfortable", like anything else, you need seat time. I've been wearing them for...18?, 20? years, and it's second nature. I can literally perform a drumroll on my eyeballs with my fingers and not so much as flinch, it's a fun trick if you wanna gross people out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I cant live without my contact lenses. I hate glasses so much. Also after wearing contacts now for 20 years (since I was 12) its a matter of seconds to swap out a pair, without a mirror, in any random place.

I bet the extended 1 week wear so I only have to do it every sunday now. But sometimes this year or next Im getting lasic and telling corrective lenses to screw themselves.

I also have no qulams touching my eyeballs or dispensing eyedrops or anything. Im so used to touching my eyes I dont even think about it. Trying to get a lens that got stuck to your eyelid and is way back up inside your eyesocket is always fun. Scraping your eyeball with your finger trying to get that sucker is a rite of passage in contact land.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Safety Dance posted:

Same as dish soap?

E.g. this, what you would use at the sink, not what you would use in a dishwasher?

Yes. I used it on my old helmet and it worked fine. I noticed that there was more distortion from vapor on the visor, but it kept the fog down pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

MonkeyNutZ posted:

After years of glasses I finally got contacts a few weeks after my bike, they make a world of difference. Much larger FOV, no fogging, no glasses arms screwing with my ears, and one less thing to keep track of when taking off gear. Any reason you guys aren't wearing contacts?

I have keratoconus and when I switch to contacts it will be hard contacts for life. I'm trying to wait as long as I can before that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratoconus

edit: Oh yeah and no insurance.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 12, 2012