Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

scary ghost dog posted:

You guys really think Standing In Front of Something is a design trend and not a fundamental aesthetic basis?

Mister Chief posted:

It is absolutely a current trend in poster designs.

A trend that's at least 194 years strong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

You guys really think Standing In Front of Something is a design trend and not a fundamental aesthetic basis?

I'm

pretty sure

it's a

current trend.

It's not new, but it's definitely become popular over the last few years to have a character with their back to the viewer looking at something on your movies poster.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Red_Museum posted:

Steven Soderbergh's next (last?) film. I think there was another poster similar to this recently but I can't remember what it was.

Goddamn, I thought the signature meant Jonathon Banks of Beverly Hills Cop and Breaking Bad fame is in this but apparently he's not.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

scary ghost dog posted:

The Stark Trek poster also forms the Star Fleet insignia thingie. I think there were several Batman posters that did the same.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm

pretty sure

it's a

current trend.

It's not new, but it's definitely become popular over the last few years to have a character with their back to the viewer looking at something on your movies poster.

Something else I noticed: All of the titles on these posters are centered, and towards the bottom. Possible new trend in poster design?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

Something else I noticed: All of the titles on these posters are centered, and towards the bottom. Possible new trend in poster design?

You're being a jackass.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

scary ghost dog posted:

Standing in front of something isn't, but maybe standing facing away from the viewer into the background, framed by dark shapes in the foreground, is?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sheldrake posted:

I keep think you guys are going on about this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad9U3h2UmcA

I have never seen Les Mis nor heard any songs from it. I love musicals, but my experience has been that Les Mis fans are like the Trekkies of the musical world; kinda scary and cultish.

Nah you're thinking of Rocky Horror Picture Show

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

Standing in front of something isn't, but maybe standing facing away from the viewer into the background, framed by dark shapes in the foreground, is?

The window effect is kind of interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it run into the ground.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The part of posters where the most popular logo of the related series is made by abstract background elements seems to have started with The Dark Knight Rises. But I could be wrong. It could have been started by whatever photoshop tutorials everyone who makes recent movie posters seems to use. With most film trailers nowadays I always wait at the end to see if 'special thanks to Andrew Kramer' comes up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How far back is this trend supposed to go?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That's not the trend.

Urban Space Cowboy posted:

This is.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If that's the case then everyone is talking about different things. If we're being that exact, the trend so far is Batman and Star Trek Into Darkness?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

New Olly Moss posters being released by Mondo tomorrow:

I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, and own a number of Olly Moss' posters, but this one is really putting me to sleep.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
For some reason it really bugs me that the Ring poem is in English at the bottom, and then BAM, better put it in the Elvish too. Just in case.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vegetable posted:

That's not the trend.

This is.

If that's the criteria, then that Battleship and Battle:LA don't fit either.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sirotan posted:

New Olly Moss posters being released by Mondo tomorrow:

I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, and own a number of Olly Moss' posters, but this one is really putting me to sleep.

The entire middle of that poster is taken up with something I don't recognize at all. What's that 'W' shape meant to be?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

PriorMarcus posted:

The entire middle of that poster is taken up with something I don't recognize at all. What's that 'W' shape meant to be?

I believe that's the broken blade?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
^^ oh? hrmmm

It looks like someone backlit and standing on a cliff but I don't know what the backlit part is supposed to be.

I donut like that poster.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes it's Narsil.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Yodzilla posted:

^^ oh? hrmmm

It looks like someone backlit and standing on a cliff but I don't know what the backlit part is supposed to be.

I think it's a sword/cliff and the person crouching is Gollum.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The more I look at that Moss poster, the more I like it. The small size of the photo doesn't do it any favors but I bet it'll look quite nice in a proper poster size. Sauron's tower is the handle for Narsil, and the blade is the space between cliffs.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm all for minimalism but I just find that poster to be incredibly bland for films with such rich, beautiful imagery. Instead you just get black, grainy blahhh. You can get a good idea of what this will look like IRL by taking a look at close-ups for his Super Mario and Zelda posters, which are essentially identical in composition to these:

blur city

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 12, 2012

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Olly Moss: One Tone to Fit Them All

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Why do people keep posting his dog poo poo aesthetic posters?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alec Eiffel posted:

Why do people keep posting his dog poo poo aesthetic posters?

Gosh it's almost like this is a thread about movie posters or something.

He has made some great stuff in the past. I think this is an excellent piece though I'm a bit biased as I was present at the screening and own it:

Not all of his art is poo poo. I just personally think these ones are.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

Gosh it's almost like this is a thread about movie posters or something.

You're right, I somehow idiotically forgot that bad posters were included in this thread. Let me append my statement by saying, why do people keep lauding his dog poo poo aesthetic.

Edit: what the hell is that - you just posted the worst thing

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Alec Eiffel posted:

Let me append my statement by saying, why do people keep lauding his dog poo poo aesthetic.
Tastes vary. Hope this helps you in the future when people post about liking things that you don't like.

Personally I find the most offensive thing about the poster to be all the text.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

casa de mi padre posted:

Tastes vary. Hope this helps you in the future when people post about liking things that you don't like.

Thank you for this cop-out answer. It's almost as awful as those who demand that critics participate in the processes of production for the thing(s) that they criticize.

His posters are awful for a variety of reasons. First, the notion that they're "minimalist" or in any way adherent to minimalism is perhaps the most tragic thing about his popularity. They're less than 'maximum,' sure, but they have absolutely nothing minimalist about them. His color schemes - especially looking at that Robocop poster - are not only incongruent with the (themes of the) films they represent, but betray any sort of meaning whatsoever. I cannot figure out why Moss employs color at all, and it's made worse by the posters' terrible color palettes. Furthermore, the fact that he has to incorporate objects like guns (again, looking at the Robocop poster above) to make a coherent image similarly betrays any minimalist conception; instead of allowing the viewer to make any associational closures themselves, Moss slaps a gun to the image under the pretense of presenting some sort of chance gestalt.

They're ugly, low effort, and marred by terrible production "effects" (why are the Lord of the Rings and Legend of Zelda posters given a grain effect; why is the Robocop poster presented with artificial paint scrapings? What purpose do these serve other than to undermine his supposedly minimalist efforts?).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm not particularly trying to defend my fondness of the Robocop poster, but I just want to link you the entire series that poster came from: http://omgposters.com/2010/07/31/olly-moss-2010-rolling-roadshow-poster-series/ This should make it more obvious why certain colors were used and style elements like scuff marks are also present.

It looks pretty loving badass in my orange brushed alumminum frame tho. :colbert:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Alec Eiffel posted:

They're ugly, low effort, and marred by terrible production "effects"

Do you have a stroke when you walk down the DVD isle in a store?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The point is that Moss' posters are touted as some great feat of art. I know that the DVD cover for Journey 2 is poo poo.

Pick Hard
Sep 10, 2011
Here are Stanley Kubrick's notes on Saul Bass's initial sketches for The Shining poster.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsononhollywood/saul-bass-shining-poster-designs

The best part of this collection isn't a poster though. It's Saul Bass's signature.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 6, 2014

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Alec Eiffel posted:

(why are the Lord of the Rings and Legend of Zelda posters given a grain effect; why is the Robocop poster presented with artificial paint scrapings? What purpose do these serve other than to undermine his supposedly minimalist efforts?).
Because they're posters not fine art paintings you shitlord. Minimalist? Chance gestalt? I'm pretty sure he does things because he thinks they look cool or clever.

Posters are generally dumb poo poo for the masses. Even the "good" posters are just dumb poo poo for the hip masses. It's rare that anybody is trying to do anything other than sell tickets or evoke nostalgia.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

casa de mi padre posted:

Because they're posters not fine art paintings you shitlord. Minimalist? Chance gestalt? I'm pretty sure he does things because he thinks they look cool or clever.

Posters are generally dumb poo poo for the masses. Even the "good" posters are just dumb poo poo for the hip masses. It's rare that anybody is trying to do anything other than sell tickets or evoke nostalgia.

Exactly. It's like some forms of art are steaks while others are a lesser meat...

Sgt_Grumbles
Jan 10, 2006
STG. GRUUUUUUMMBLES!
And back to awful posters.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
So does a zombie Twilight movie finally kill the zombie renaissance? I can only pray it does and both this and World War Z bomb horribly.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Two Kings posted:

So does a zombie Twilight movie finally kill the zombie renaissance? I can only pray it does and both this and World War Z bomb horribly.

I've heard from the trailer that a lot of people see this one as a satire on the whole "paranormal romance" genre, not a continuation of it. The filmmakers know it's a joke on the Twilight series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

It's also directed by the guy who made 50/50 and The Wackness so it could end up being good. Maybe. Probably not.