Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Seoinin posted:

I'm actually kinda stunned there hasn't been more right wing media outreach to the Good Homosexuals, i.e. white middle class folks. The intersection between "hateful shithead" and "gay" must have some money to tap into.

If they can find some way to make the fundamentalists get over it or the fundamentalists not matter then I really reckon that's one of the major ways ahead for the right wing. Despite a lot of something awful's assumptions gay people are not really any more inclined to be left wing than anyone else in my experience. Unless you specifically bash them of course. Gays don't really have a specific soicial standing like other minorities, they can be anyone and be as privileged or poverty striken as you please. If the republicans really just focused on the economic side of things and talked about the government robbing us plenty of gays would listen and respond I think. They're a huge untapped market for the GOP and I suspect the practical members are just waiting for the numbers of gay rights suporters to grow big enough that they can stop pandering to homophobes who will vote for them anyway as the lesser evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ thats very well put.

the2ndgenesis posted:

I think he means that Fox does mostly dogwhistle homophobia as opposed to outright gay bashing. Indulging in Falwell-esque tirades about the latest Homosexual Agenda Plot du jour is, thankfully, finally starting to become unfashionable.

Thank you,

I came from a conservative poo poo hole. I grew up with these people. The older ones have a hostile attitude to open homosexuals, I remember the few open gays at my highschool and a teacher ranting about how he had students who were gay and he didnt know till later etc etc etc.

Basically the hostility level doesnt seem as high as it was in the late 90's. I remember having a teacher think because I didnt have a father I would fall victim to an older gay man, and be come one of those gays.

I even see progress when I visit on this issue the younger people who dont want to break with their families ideology will happily agree with Becks point of view that the big bad goverment should be out of marriages and churches should decide if they wanna marry or not.

max4me fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 12, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Seoinin posted:

I'm actually kinda stunned there hasn't been more right wing media outreach to the Good Homosexuals, i.e. white middle class folks. The intersection between "hateful shithead" and "gay" must have some money to tap into.

GOProud and the Log Cabin Republicans are full of complete pieces of poo poo who happened to be born non-het.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

swampland posted:

If they can find some way to make the fundamentalists get over it or the fundamentalists not matter

Sure maybe but I don't see anyway for that to happen, any Republican who comes out in even the most most milquetoast support of gay marriage (Most gays aren't going favor a person who doesn't at least offer this bare minimum excepting GOProud) is going to get primaried by a tea party type.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A dark corner of my mind is angry that Glenn "If your pastor preaches social justice, run" Beck gets to spin himself as reasonable.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Front page of Drudge right now:

The quoted phrase is not based on anything Tarantino actually said, nor does the quoted phrase appear anywhere in the article Drudge links to. As far as anyone can tell, Drudge basically made the quote up. (I guess Matt really, really likes that particular word.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DaveWoo posted:

The quoted phrase is not based on anything Tarantino actually said, nor does the quoted phrase appear anywhere in the article Drudge links to. As far as anyone can tell, Drudge basically made the quote up. (I guess Matt really, really likes that particular word.)

How do you even pronounce an asterisk, anyway? Is it like those African languages with the exclamation-point clicking sounds?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's like when Dr. Laura or Michael Richards went nuts and just started yelling the word. There is a type of person who walks around their whole life with that bottled up inside, truly filled with anguish that they can't yell it in black peoples' faces.

Eventually they just burst, and they think they're making some kind of coherent point. Add :siren: to the list I guess.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

DaveWoo posted:

I think they're upset about his recent movie. Because Tarantino is a liberal and his movies (while amazing) typically contain a lot of crazy rear end poo poo in them in both word and imagery that liberals would normally pitch a fit about, but it's OK because he's a liberal.

That said, getting upset about Tarantino movies is pretty drat stupid. They're well like and generally a good time. I don't think you can make much political hay bitching that Tarantino made a movie that's offensive.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The reason Tarantino gets away with a lot of un-PC elements in his filmwork is because under the pulp sheer they are actually very progressively minded. Even "Death Proof" was all about the Bechtel test and de-constructing gender roles in gore films.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SilentD posted:

I think they're upset about his recent movie. Because Tarantino is a liberal and his movies (while amazing) typically contain a lot of crazy rear end poo poo in them in both word and imagery that liberals would normally pitch a fit about, but it's OK because he's a liberal.
Regardless of Tarantino's political orientation, this is a dumb, dumb attack. It's like attacking Mark Twain for using the n-word in Huckleberry Finn.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SilentD posted:

That said, getting upset about Tarantino movies is pretty drat stupid. They're well like and generally a good time. I don't think you can make much political hay bitching that Tarantino made a movie that's offensive.

It's not OK because he's a liberal (I don't even know if he is), it's OK because he is not a racist. Conservatives cannot wrap their heads around this. You, unsurprisingly, don't seem to be able to either.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
My brain hurts.

VVV - so it's a jealousy thing?

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 12, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
They don't like it because Tarantino is a white man that can say n* and "get away with it".

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

They don't like it because Tarantino is a white man that can say n* and "get away with it".

The conservative mindset values obedience to authority and absolute rules. "Do not say 'friend of the family'" is a rule they can follow; when the rule doesn't apply to some people, they become confused and angry.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Sydney Bottocks posted:

As it is, they can barely reach anyone that isn't a rich white Christian male these days. Asking them to cater to the filthy Godless sodomites on top of insisting they also do "outreach" to blacks, Hispanics, women, young people, and poor people? That's pushing things just a bit too far, you know. :colbert:

Stop shoving your homosexuality down our throats :bahgawd:!
I think one of the problems with republicans turning back towards purely economic arguments is that historically that has gone bad for them. The current social conservatism only came about after the New Deal coalition stomped republicans on economic matters for decades. They turned to social issues to turn the conversation to where they could win. In the 60's it was race, then in the 90's with the rise of the "culture warriors" it was gay marriage, abortion, immigration, etc. There is probably still a hesitation to give up on the social aspect that has been a powerhouse for them for so long, especially since they had been so burned on economic matters.

I think it is also important to note that some segments of conservatism saw this coming, during the Bush era and into the early Obama presidency Karl Rove was pushing hard for republicans to get behind immigration reform and to reach out to immigrants. It wasn't until the rise of the tea party that this became toxic. Not all of them are clueless as to the situation.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

SedanChair posted:

It's not OK because he's a liberal (I don't even know if he is), it's OK because he is not a racist. Conservatives cannot wrap their heads around this. You, unsurprisingly, don't seem to be able to either.

I don't think one's not being a racist makes racist jokes any better than them coming from a racist. And liberals getting away with poo poo because they are a liberal is old hat stuff that is TRUE.

I don't object to it. I'll be the first one to say it's OK for Maher to be a raging jackass but it's not OK for Miller to. Simply because I'm OK with our side doing it and fine with a double standard as long as it helps us and hurts them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lightning Knight posted:

:stare:

I can't decide if this makes me slightly less annoyed at Beck (sure, he's making a dumb libertarian argument, but I guess that's slightly less bad than making a dumb evangelical argument) or more annoyed because it seems to stand as proof that he's just a charlatan who's profiting off other people's ignorance.

He's born-again Mormon, right? I guess he might be angling for legalized polygamy.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SilentD posted:

I don't think one's not being a racist makes racist jokes any better than them coming from a racist. And liberals getting away with poo poo because they are a liberal is old hat stuff that is TRUE.

I don't object to it. I'll be the first one to say it's OK for Maher to be a raging jackass but it's not OK for Miller to. Simply because I'm OK with our side doing it and fine with a double standard as long as it helps us and hurts them.
Just to reiterate, since you still don't seem to have gotten it yet - this isn't a left vs. right issue. This is a "using the n-word in a culturally appropriate and thematically valid context within a literary work" vs. "plastering the n-word on the front page of your website several times for no apparent reason" issue.

(And for the record, I'm perfectly okay with both Maher and Miller being raging jackasses. I just wish they'd actually be funny once in a while.)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SilentD posted:

I'm not on your side.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

DaveWoo posted:

Just to reiterate, since you still don't seem to have gotten it yet - this isn't a left vs. right issue. This is a "using the n-word in a culturally appropriate and thematically valid context within a literary work" vs. "plastering the n-word on the front page of your website several times for no apparent reason" issue.

What is also amusing to me is that people seem constantly obsessed with whether someone says the word instead of the context of the overall work.

The problem with Huck Finn is not that they say the n-word. The problem with Huck Finn is that the main black character is an ignorant and gullible manchild who constantly needs the guidance of white people to find freedom and personal value. That is what is hosed up and deserves serious discussion, not whether they should be allowed to read "that word" in schools.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Well, it's either that or Drudge is genuinely offended by racism :newlol: .

It's not just white people. They hate that black people can say it too. It's not fair!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Wait, they're actually complaining that characters in the movie say the N-word? Did people say the N-word in Lincoln?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Doc Hawkins posted:

He's born-again Mormon, right? I guess he might be angling for legalized polygamy.

Born-again Mormon? News to me.

Dr Christmas posted:

Wait, they're actually complaining that characters in the movie say the N-word? Did people say the N-word in Lincoln?

They do, though ironically the only instance I recall is one of the Republican operatives working for passage of the 13th Amendment referring to how Southern racists think. Something to the effect of "they just hate niggers" or some such.

Anyhow, as for Tarantino, I recall there was some issue awhile ago where Spike Lee (maybe? I can't remember) or some other significant black liberal director accused Tarantino for being racist because he uses so much black exploitation imagery and racist language in his films.

I recall that Tarantino's defense of his position was less than stellar and made him look kind of racist even if there were good arguments in his favor, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20649525

quote:

After an election where conservative social causes failed to convince voters, evangelical Christians are pondering their relationship with the Republican party.

Christian conservatives used to be referred to as the "base of the base" of the Republican Party - voters whose strong religious ideologies meant the party could count on them to support "family values" candidates and initiatives.

George W. Bush, after all, won re-election in 2004 thanks to strong turnout from evangelical voters in the crucial swing state of Ohio.

After the 2012 election, evangelical leaders are contemplating what it means that conservative Republicans lost so badly, and that social issues championed by the religious right also suffered defeat. They are also questioning whether they still have a place in the world of politics.

No you don't have a place in politics. Now go away.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dr Christmas posted:

Supposedly they say it a lot in "Django Unchained", as if that means a loving thing.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No! Don't go away! Form a third party and take as many votes from the republicans as you can!

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zeroisanumber posted:

Supposedly they say it a lot in "Django Unchained", as if that means a loving thing.

News Flash: Pre Civil War era movie about slaves, guns, and revenge has lots of profanity in it.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Spacedad posted:

Here's REAL traditional America, whose traditions ACTUALLY came under attack:

Piss off, whiny white devils.

Not to nitpick or anything (and this is slightly tongue in cheek), but that's one very small part of traditional America. This place was almost like Africa in terms of cultural diversity before whitey got here.

Seriously, it's amazing.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

It means that liberal Hollywood types are the "real" racists.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

beatlegs posted:

It means that liberal Hollywood types are the "real" racists.

I am seriously waiting for some conservative to comment on Django Unchained by saying "Its a movie where a black gets revenge against those racist slave-owning DEMOCRATS :smug:"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Lots of people worry are about evangelicals' influence on the Republican Party, but what freaks me out is the Republican Party's influence on evangelicals. Allegiance to an earthly political party primarily concerned with lowering taxes and regulations on the rich at the expense of the poor is all but dogma to some of them. The people who should be the world's strongest advocates for the poor are spending time, money, and energy grinding the downtrodden even further into the dirt.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 13, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dr Christmas posted:

Lots of people worry are about evangelicals' influence on the Republican Party, but what freaks me out is the a Republican Party's influence on evangelicals. Allegiance to an earthly political party primarily concerned with lowering taxes and regulations on the rich at the expense of the poor is all but dogma to some of them. The people who should be the world's strongest advocates for the poor are spending time, money, and energy grinding the downtrodden even further into the dirt.
Don't say that, they'll declare a "teahad" on you! Anyone remember that video?

e: For some reason I thought that guy was a hardcore evangelical. My bad.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 13, 2012

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Now for your daily inoculation of FOX's War on Xmas.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2031028724001/merry-christmas-to-all-except-those-who-are-offended/?playlist_id=937116503001

Now that's informative and honest journalism.

Quick question, though: why is it that US media seems to have such a hard-on for putting british twits on air to pontificate about anything and everything? We wogs here in Brazil don't feel the compulsion to import our former portuguese colonial masters to punditize.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Sephyr posted:

Now for your daily inoculation of FOX's War on Xmas.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2031028724001/merry-christmas-to-all-except-those-who-are-offended/?playlist_id=937116503001

Now that's informative and honest journalism.

Quick question, though: why is it that US media seems to have such a hard-on for putting british twits on air to pontificate about anything and everything? We wogs here in Brazil don't feel the compulsion to import our former portuguese colonial masters to punditize.

British accents are exotic and sophisticated to Americans, but familiar enough to easily understand for most people.

It also adds an air of legitimacy, as the BBC is associated with good journalism, at least in my experience.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, a brit saying something stupid sounds smart to our stupid people as long as he has an upper class accent. Without clicking the link is that Stewart Varney? I always love him, he's the resident "OBAMA IS LITERALLY TURNING AMERICA INTO THE SOCIALIST HELLHOLE OF ENGLAND I FLED" dude.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I think it is also important to note that some segments of conservatism saw this coming, during the Bush era and into the early Obama presidency Karl Rove was pushing hard for republicans to get behind immigration reform and to reach out to immigrants. It wasn't until the rise of the tea party that this became toxic. Not all of them are clueless as to the situation.

Personally, I for one am thrilled at how much the tea party has come to bite them in the rear end. I imagine it's like how Hasbro should feel about Bronies; At first it seemed like this wonderful demographic that just kinda fell into their laps, until they discover it's actually a crazy, repulsive, slightly psychotic fringe group that's actively alienating the rest of the world away from your brand. But by now, it's too late, they are so entrenched it's almost impossible to jettison them.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

The problem with Huck Finn is that the main black character is an ignorant and gullible manchild who constantly needs the guidance of white people to find freedom and personal value.

Did you read a different book than me?

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Can he though? That whole "dead friend of the family storage" thing in Pulp Fiction was pretty awkward, but that may just be because he's a bad actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Messyass posted:

Can he though? That whole "dead friend of the family storage" thing in Pulp Fiction was pretty awkward, but that may just be because he's a bad actor.
It was definitely awkward, but I thought that was sort of the point.