Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

farfromsleep posted:

You could link your Club Nintendo account to your Wii and it'd keep a record of your purchases that was viewable online. You couldn't actually do anything useful with it like recover them to another system though, because, y'know, Nintendo.

Trust me, I think Nintendo seriously dropped the ball on the whole account thing. I've been using Club Nintendo since the Gamecube/GBA days and I think that's why Nintendo didn't consider anything like online purchases. However, the moment it became a reality on the Wii, Club Nintendo should have became your official Nintendo ID.

Nintendo is allowing a transfer according to a recent Kotaku article (http://kotaku.com/5967558/nintendo-of-america-says-they-can-in-fact-move-your-online-id-to-a-new-wii-u-console) but it sounds like it's still a loving mess.

LividLiquid posted:

I think so. So when I transferred my Wii games to my WiiU, they went to my Nintendo Network ID? (Also LividLiquid) Is there a way to look at my ID on the internet somehow to see what games are attached to it?

Eventually on nintendonetwork.com I think? Not sure there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

I think so. So when I transferred my Wii games to my WiiU, they went to my Nintendo Network ID? (Also LividLiquid) Is there a way to look at my ID on the internet somehow to see what games are attached to it?

I'm sure there'll be a better site for this, but if you got the Deluxe set, then the Deluxe Digital Promotion site will show you what games you've downloaded with your Nintendo Network ID.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FanaticalMilk posted:

I'm sure there'll be a better site for this, but if you got the Deluxe set, then the Deluxe Digital Promotion site will show you what games you've downloaded with your Nintendo Network ID.
Sign in failed.
You cannot participate in this promotion until the day after you purchase games and content at the Nintendo eShop.

So evidently it doesn't count any of my Wii online purchases.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

LividLiquid posted:

Sign in failed.
You cannot participate in this promotion until the day after you purchase games and content at the Nintendo eShop.

So evidently it doesn't count any of my Wii online purchases.

I don't think it was ever intended to count Wii online purchases? And regardless the program didn't star until November 18th when the Wii U launched.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

I don't think it was ever intended to count Wii online purchases? And regardless the program didn't star until November 18th when the Wii U launched.
Right. I didn't think it would count my Wii purchases for that promotion. I just waned to make sure they were on my account and counted somewhere for something because, as I hoped when this conversation started, I'm hoping that my Wii virtual console games will eventually be imported to my WiiU through some system that doesn't make me boot into Wii mode and allows me to play them on the Gamepad.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Re: Japan's "weak" launch.
They've sold out all the units they had available for launch, and resellers are getting around a 20% premium on the MSRP.
It's a little early to be getting all doom and gloom.

Anecdotal evidence of my own finds this claim to be wildly false in Japan. I'm sure places like Tokyo and Osaka may have sold out, but it's sitting on shelves in many places in Japan. Many kids also don't know what it is compared to the Wii. Most of them have a PSP or PS3 and a Wii. Didn't help that Zombie U and Batman are not draws for them, and that Nintendo has been releasing a new New Super Mario title every year since they rebooted it. .

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Apparently, some guy made an HTML5-game to try out the possibilities of small games for the Wii U. While the Canvas-object (used for drawing objects) worked pretty much flawlessly, the game was quite restricted, with problems ranging from low framerates over lack of audio support to limited controls (only the D-Pad and the A button work). Understandably, considering HTML5 is still more or less experimental, but it would have been nice to have full access to the potential of HTML5; we could have seen some interesting stuff with it.
Maybe they'll update the browser in a future update?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Welp, my Mii has been restricted. Apparently it's "inappropriate" to have a Mii named Wang with a penis nose and scrotum eyebrows. What if I really look like that?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I downloaded Warriors Orochi 3 out of morbid curiosity (and because I like Dynasty Warriors) just to see how games run of an external disk and it works just fine. I don't know how the load times would be off a disk or the console itself but they're no worse than any other game. Also, this is from an old rear end 500 gig HD that'll probably die anytime soon so I was very pleased.
Now I sort of regret not getting the white version since I prefer the colour.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Welp, my Mii has been restricted. Apparently it's "inappropriate" to have a Mii named Wang with a penis nose and scrotum eyebrows. What if I really look like that?

You send Nintendo a picture of your face and your birth certificate and expect their deepest apologies.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Bobnumerotres posted:

You send Nintendo a picture of your face and your birth certificate and expect their deepest apologies.

http://oglaf.com/intermission/ (:nws:)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Facebook page for Non-Specific Action Figure has apparently been officially taken over by Nintendo. Cool, I hope to see him in some games at some point!

I dunno if I believe it yet, but if it's true, that's awesome. They also finally made an official Pokemon page.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The Facebook page for Non-Specific Action Figure has apparently been officially taken over by Nintendo. Cool, I hope to see him in some games at some point!

I dunno if I believe it yet, but if it's true, that's awesome. They also finally made an official Pokemon page.

Non-specific action figure? Could you elaborate? I really don't understand.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's a running gag/meme in some Nintendo promo videos where people in the video will randomly talk to this half melted action figure guy and pretend to hear him talking to them, similar to the running gag of Iwata or Bill Trinen holding fruit for no reason. I don't really get it.

Ztrapper
Jan 8, 2011
I gotta say that i find Wii U's Netflix app the best of all HD consoles. I figure it's not a main selling point to us gamers, but still - I'm very impressed by it. Being able to turn on subtitles without stopping the movie fixes the one thing i hate about the PS3 / X360 apps, and the ability to switch the stream to the GamePad works great. I also don't experience these weird subtitles and audio delays i sometime get on PS3 and always get on X360.

The only downside: Nintendo didn't licence Dolby, so all the content in Netflix is stereo only. hope they'll find a way to pass 5.1 through PCM in the future - that'll make it even better.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Ztrapper posted:

The only downside: Nintendo didn't licence Dolby, so all the content in Netflix is stereo only. hope they'll find a way to pass 5.1 through PCM in the future - that'll make it even better.

I dunno if it's the Netflix app specifically that doesn't support it, but the WiiU can do 5.1 PCM surround over HDMI just fine, you just need to turn it on in the settings.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Miiverse won't let me reply to an old convo that was last posted in 5 days ago, lame.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

greatn posted:

It's a running gag/meme in some Nintendo promo videos where people in the video will randomly talk to this half melted action figure guy and pretend to hear him talking to them, similar to the running gag of Iwata or Bill Trinen holding fruit for no reason. I don't really get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2HxfI1mAXg

It's Nintendo mocking geeks. And geeks for the first time ever not taking serious offence and instead laughing with it all.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

Apparently, some guy made an HTML5-game to try out the possibilities of small games for the Wii U. While the Canvas-object (used for drawing objects) worked pretty much flawlessly, the game was quite restricted, with problems ranging from low framerates over lack of audio support to limited controls (only the D-Pad and the A button work). Understandably, considering HTML5 is still more or less experimental, but it would have been nice to have full access to the potential of HTML5; we could have seen some interesting stuff with it.
Maybe they'll update the browser in a future update?
The problem with HTML5 (or just the JavaScript stuff by itself even) is that doing fancy stuff like games can be pretty computationally complex, so I see the performance as a sort of limiter regardless of anything else, but could hopefully be worked around if designing for slower machines (i.e. make a simpler game).

And the controls are an interesting issue, since in one of the Iwata Asks things before they've mentioned that sites could have access to the controls and gyro/accelerometer data through some HTML extensions (probably like how there's touch/tilt specific stuff for iOS Safari). I don't know if they've released any docs on the code and how to use it though, I think they mentioned using Google Maps with it but I can't say I've tried or if that was an internal thing they've been screwing around with (and releasing as a separate app now?).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That Non-Specific Action Figure page thing was a hoax, as I suspected. There is an official Pokemon page now, though! That at least seems legit.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Best way to extend my gamepad a reach and have it disconnect less?

Today, sitting about 3 feet away from it, the controller was constantly losing connection. My Wii U is on top of a single "shelf" type thing where my TV is beside it, and my wireless router is about a foot away. My Apple TV is on the opposite side of the TV.

I'd ideally like to have it work in my condo all over the place. Just like my wifi, I couldn't get signal at the other end of the condo until I bought this Belkin wireless extender that makes a second network called NETWORK NAME B or some poo poo that I have my other things connect to that live too far away from the wireless router.

Does my wifi dictate how far my Gamepad reaches, or is it all on the Wii U? I'm confused.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Does my wifi dictate how far my Gamepad reaches, or is it all on the Wii U? I'm confused.

B. It's a completely different signal, so I don't think it's extendable at this point unless you rearrange your furniture. Three feet is an abnormally short range, though.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Today, sitting about 3 feet away from it, the controller was constantly losing connection. My Wii U is on top of a single "shelf" type thing where my TV is beside it, and my wireless router is about a foot away. My Apple TV is on the opposite side of the TV.

I'd ideally like to have it work in my condo all over the place. Just like my wifi, I couldn't get signal at the other end of the condo until I bought this Belkin wireless extender that makes a second network called NETWORK NAME B or some poo poo that I have my other things connect to that live too far away from the wireless router.

If you unplug your wifi router does the range of the gamepad improve?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
It's gotta be interference. Last night it was fine but today it was disconnect city.

I will try moving it somewhere else, and I'm guessing putting it in the middle of the condo with a long HDMI cable back to the TV the best way, eh?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

My internet browser won't play Youtube videos anymore. I just get the big black rectangle, and it never loads. Anybody else have this problem?

I would use the Youtube app, but it sucks poo poo. So much for watching LPs on the big screen.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hmm, I just noticed that a minute ago, but I think it was just one video. I tried another video and it was fine. I'm not sure though, I just ate dinner and that honestly makes me forget whether I watched that second video on the wii or on my laptop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

liquidypoo posted:

My internet browser won't play Youtube videos anymore. I just get the big black rectangle, and it never loads. Anybody else have this problem?

I would use the Youtube app, but it sucks poo poo. So much for watching LPs on the big screen.

Definitely not just you. Hopefully this isn't deliberate.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Could also be youtube changing something up to make sure they can do ads and whatnot.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

greatn posted:

Could also be youtube changing something up to make sure they can do ads and whatnot.

Have you tried it on another mobile device?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's only for the Wii U. The Miiverse community for the Youtube app is up in arms, Youtube is blocking the Wii U browser from using it and forcing people to use the useless app.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Are they sure it's Youtube and not Nintendo? If the former I would bet Nintendo aren't very happy about it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That really sucks. I could browse the internet while watching a Youtube video on the bigscreen, which was awesome and made the Ap completely pointless.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's Youtube. Nintendo wouldn't be able to disable that without a system update. Youtube is blocking the videos for the Wii U useragent.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I guess they get more ad revenue if you watch in the app?

How about making an app that can match a mobile web browser in functionality then? Should be able to watch a video without it dipping to 15fps, oh and also should be able to watch it while browsing the web.

Or a novel idea: watch a video on the gamepad. Crazy, I know.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

If that router is 5GHz that is why you're having issues. I notice the same issue if I put my MBA next to my gamepad, it will instantly disconnect. Move it and you should be better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

IIRC Youtube has done this before, I think it might be a licensing thing? It's unfortunate because Nintendo used the curtain->Youtube feature prominently in pre-launch promotions as one of the benefits of the web browser and now you'll have to use Vimeo instead, I guess.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

IIRC Youtube has done this before, I think it might be a licensing thing? It's unfortunate because Nintendo used the curtain->Youtube feature prominently in pre-launch promotions as one of the benefits of the web browser and now you'll have to use Vimeo instead, I guess.

There's a setting any youtuber can use to disable their videos on certain agents, so there shouldn't be licensing problems. Well I don't know that for a fact, I know sometimes on my phone I get "The user has opted not to make this available on mobile" for instance.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

So straight from the miiverse, you can just remove the "watch?v=" and replace it with "embed/" and it'll work fine. Just tried it and no problems at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

GameboyHero posted:

So straight from the miiverse, you can just remove the "watch?v=" and replace it with "embed/" and it'll work fine. Just tried it and no problems at all.

But you have to do that every time. Unacceptable. Why would they do that poo poo? It's nonsensical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

DoctorWhat posted:

But you have to do that every time. Unacceptable. Why would they do that poo poo? It's nonsensical.

Because Youtube Is Bad

• Locked thread