Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

orenronen posted:

Definitely. If you're visiting Akihabara, pretty much any location that sells CDs will have copies, plus they're setting up a temporary specialty Dangan Ronpa store between December 22 and January 20 (with a 2 day new year break).

This is perfect, thanks a ton. :allears:

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I'm happy about it too.

I don't want to be a dick, but like, who cares? Posts that only say "Yes, I am glad that there are less pointless posts" and nothing else aren't helping said problem.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I doubt it'll be an issue, but just in case; what's the policy on DR1 spoilers?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Renzuko posted:

[Literal speculation]

I was happy to see that there was actually an update instead of nearly 200 posts of speculation in the 12 hours since I last checked the thread too.

Yeah, I'm happy about it too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cybernemic
Oct 9, 2012

TEEHEEHEE
It might just be me, but Fuyuhiko vaguely reminds me of Francis York Morgan.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Robotfisherman posted:

That's been mentioned several times over the last few pages.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Teddles posted:

I doubt it'll be an issue, but just in case; what's the policy on DR1 spoilers?

I think they're fine, since DR0 is being posted as updates and that's already majorly spoiled the identity and goal of DR1's major antagonist.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Probably best to be cautious, though.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

flatluigi posted:

I think they're fine, since DR0 is being posted as updates and that's already majorly spoiled the identity and goal of DR1's major antagonist.

True, but there's a risk that a DR2 murder might collate with a DR1 murder and someone says "This is just like when X killed Y and made it look like Z did it. I cried when I found out that X just wanted to graduate and see his cat again!" And I don't think that DR0 has spoiled the main antagonist's identity yet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Robotfisherman posted:

It wasn't just you.

I'm definitely with the "this is Togami's kid or something" train of thought. For one, I don't buy into the "weird computer simulation" theory, and for two our Togami would never let himself go like this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Teddles posted:

And I don't think that DR0 has spoiled the main antagonist's identity yet.

The first sentence of the book is literally "Junko Enoshima despaired."

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Teddles posted:

True, but there's a risk that a DR2 murder might collate with a DR1 murder and someone says "This is just like when X killed Y and made it look like Z did it. I cried when I found out that X just wanted to graduate and see his cat again!" And I don't think that DR0 has spoiled the main antagonist's identity yet.

It calls her "Super High-school Level Despair Junko Enoshima."

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Waffleman_ posted:

The first sentence of the book is literally "Junko Enoshima despaired."

:siren:DR1 spoiler warning:siren:
It's been given away in the thread pretty massively now, but remember that 'Junko' dies very early and the player goes through the game thinking she's dead, so even if they have read Zero they think "Well, there must be someone else".

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Unless I hear otherwise from the OP, I'm not considering events from Dangan Ronpa 1 to be probatable spoilers in this thread. In fact, DR0 seems like a pretty clear indicator of spoilers for DR1, even if they're not directly saying it.

However, I am telling you not to post nutso theories about how this game is related to the first one, unless they relate to updates from THIS thread.

Also we get it, we don't know what the deal with DR2's Byakayu Togami and how it relates to DR1's outside of the sprite art, their related actions, and their name, so don't clog the thread with "I think it's him/family member/clone" unless you have some dialogue from the previous or current updates to go with it.

In fact, for speculation in general, don't just wildly guess! Base it on something beyond gut feelings! I don't want some idiot throwing out "Oh this was all just a robot Chihiro made from the first game (but I can't be bothered to explain why I think that other than just throwing ideas out there for no reason)" and then idiotically going "Yep, called it!" if it happens and acting like they're Sherlock-loving-Holmes. It's not fun when we all just yell out answers randomly.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 12, 2012

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Speaking of DRZero, oren is it alright to know how long is it?

You mentioned some times that it brings up some plot points that lead to this game, so its safe to assume that its short enough that you will finish it before those plot points become important? If the answer is kinda spoilery or it's just a thing you don't want people to know, no need to answer, I'm just a bit curious.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Teddles posted:

If anybody is reading this thread before they read the DR1 thread and they get spoiled that is their own drat fault.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

slowbeef posted:

Banhammer
What's great is the guy you banned is gonna go around to other forums perpetuating the story of how SA is the banniest forum that ever banned and that the mods keep in it a perpetual police state.

...which is all true, but hey it keeps out the riff-raff.

I'm looking forward to more updates to flush out the traits of the cast since all we have are their crazy appearances. It's a huge change from DR1 where we had brief character profiles before we even started.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Character List
Thanks!

EDIT: Holy drat, the lolspeak banned guy had been here nearly a year, you think he would have figured the place out by now.

sudonim fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 12, 2012

BTA
Sep 30, 2012

orenronen posted:

These are all Fedule's additions, attempting to make the translation flow better in English. We are going to add small bits of text that weren't there in the original and take away others if we think they help make the game's point. We're also going to come up with our own style to how the characters speak, that may not be an exact match for the original speech patterns but will (hopefully) adhere to their spirit. This may not work for you if you're reading the Japanese along, but I hope you'd give it a chance. Obviously, Fedule pushes for a looser translation while I tend to stick to the original (and I do revert his changes from time to time), but I think this kind of translation, while having its own minuses, works better in overall.

I have some concerns about this, mostly because Fedule's editing without knowing what's up ahead, but since I am a fan of similarly translated games and I know you'll mostly be able to account for anything that Fedule doesn't know about yet, I'm not exactly worried.

...and those translation commentaries sound really interesting, so I certainly can't complain about that.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Any doubts I had about whether this new bunny thing could make a worthy successor to Monobear were completely blown away by that theme music.

I can buy this anagram guy being Naegi all along. It would fit with how he was the first character we saw instead of our protagonist, giving him some special importance. Even his hair going all crazy like that would be pretty fitting for someone who's been getting by in a post-apocolyptic despair society for a while. I wonder how much of their memory's been zapped away, though? Even if they got the Kirigiri super amnesia treatment, they'd be left with a much bigger gap than the others that would be far more suspicious to them. And Togami would have a lot more questions about what happened to his body!

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
My suspicion, based on what little we've seen so far, is that Hinata is some kind of dangerous or otherwise "bad" guy. That bit of recalcitrance in explaining his entry to Hope's Peak - "It's not that important, you'll find out soon enough" - combined with talking about how getting into Hope's Peak is something he wanted more than anything ever sets off alarm bells and makes me think he did something terrible to get in.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
I hope we get a good cast of voices this time too and from some of the voices I've heard so far I'm sure it'll be a yes. I haven't looked them up yet because I'm afraid of finding spoilers to a point where I won't look up anything Dangan Ronpa related outside this and the old threads.

I'm pretty sure Mahiru is Yuu Kobayashi which really makes me hope she has a crazy side to her, Yuu Kobayashi really fits crazy both voicing characters and real life. Sonia is bugging me because I don't recognise her but I feel like I've heard her before, oh well never mind...

I'd love to go into detail on certain others but I'm not sure if they could be spoilers although they could just be there to fool those of us who obsess over seiyuu.

I think the translation is pretty good so far, I'm fine with loose translations. I find there's a certain balance that changes with each work, some require honorifics while others don't or only need them occasionally to highlight the character using uncommon ones like "-dono". It was done well last time and seems fine this time too. I wouldn't be too keen on you replacing a Japanese reference with an American one, being non-American I might not get them anyway but if it's not an obviously replaced one then I'll be okay. Though I'm not worried that we'll miss anything story related due to both of you working as a team we're covered for that.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Benly posted:

My suspicion, based on what little we've seen so far, is that Hinata is some kind of dangerous or otherwise "bad" guy. That bit of recalcitrance in explaining his entry to Hope's Peak - "It's not that important, you'll find out soon enough" - combined with talking about how getting into Hope's Peak is something he wanted more than anything ever sets off alarm bells and makes me think he did something terrible to get in.

"It goes beyond mere support... it borders on worship. Like a religion."

Spoken like a true SHSL Fanboy. His fandom only grows as the world ends and his the object of his worship is turned into a Noah's Ark. It manages to be elevated to an even higher level of esteem.

And then it's corrupted. It's twisted into a mockery of everything it stood for. And it's televised.

Seems like decent motivation.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
... I can't believe someone is actually named Gundam. How did they get away with that... Or more importantly, is it his actual name or one he gave himself?

Still keep laughing at Fatgami sprites. It just looks so much like they slapped a fat suit on him. :(

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Benly posted:

That answers the question of what killed Kirigiri's dad. Hinata made a skinsuit out of him. :unsmigghh:

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

I don't think Anagram-Naegi is Naegi. This is solely based on the fact that DR likes to gently caress with the audience. Of course I could be just like that one guy who thought 11037 was an important number sequence and not at all a name.

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
I am really interested in the fact that adorable Usami doesn't want anyone killing each other, at least on the surface. It'll be interesting to see if the game ends up a Monobear vs Usami battle with our students caught in the middle - and, of course, figuring out how much of that battle is staged.

If two rival organizations both have vaguely disquieting stuffed animals working for them, one promoting hope and peace (at the cost of stagnation) and the other promoting despair and killing (with the reward of getting off the island), which wins? Is Usami from the Despair Group and there to give the Hope side more of a fighting chance? Is Usami there to make them despair more over their symbol of hope being a bunny wabbit/to make them despair when she's killed/to make them dislike and rebel against 'hope'/etc?

There's so much potential here! And that's not even getting into Mr. Naegi Makoto Da and what that means.

(Really, I suppose I just want stuffed animals beating each other up using anime-style attacks with our new students staring in baffled incomprehension. "MAGICAL BUNNY SPARKLE KICK!" "CHAINSAW OF DESPAIR!")

Frost Uncle
Nov 2, 2012
Usimmy's speech patterns work really well in translation. Someone mentioned Elmer Fudd a few pages ago and it reminded me of what oren said about westernizing the jarring well-known voice actor in a hosed up role thing. He said "Picture Micky Mouse's voice with Monobear's body" or something to that effect in the DR1 thread.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

quote:

Heart-thumping... Field Trip...?

Figures that Togami is concerned about matters concerning his heart. It's a nice touch that they kept his poses more or less the same from the previous game.

I hope he proves to be as competent as he was last go around.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Bifauxnen posted:

I can buy this anagram guy being Naegi all along. It would fit with how he was the first character we saw instead of our protagonist, giving him some special importance. Even his hair going all crazy like that would be pretty fitting for someone who's been getting by in a post-apocolyptic despair society for a while. I wonder how much of their memory's been zapped away, though? Even if they got the Kirigiri super amnesia treatment, they'd be left with a much bigger gap than the others that would be far more suspicious to them. And Togami would have a lot more questions about what happened to his body!
But must it be amnesia? I don't know about Not Naegi yet but Togami could simply be lying about not knowing what is going on and about the whole passing out in front of the school thing and he is there on some kind of mission, like a good(but still a douche) version of Mukuro if you will.
Just throwing that possibily out there.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sudonim posted:

EDIT: Holy drat, the lolspeak banned guy had been here nearly a year, you think he would have figured the place out by now.

He'd also been banned multiple times for the same poo poo, so it's not like he was learning his lesson.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Overlord K posted:

... I can't believe someone is actually named Gundam. How did they get away with that... Or more importantly, is it his actual name or one he gave himself?

While I don't know this for a fact and can't answer your questions, it's not impossible to create a Japanese name with characters based off the sounds. Donald Keene is the most prominent example that comes to mind, where the characters mean "Demon Anger Sound Door," but they were chosen because they can sound like "Keene Donald." It's not impossible that some characters that can sound like "Gandamu" were chosen so they could get away with the name "Gundam" and have it still be a Japanese name.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Exercu posted:

Wait. Why is the name of the song "Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson", when she calls herself Usami? Something is fishy.
You saw the two-toned rabbit in the title screen bits next to Monobear, right? Usami is obviously her magical girl form, while Monomi is her "normal" form.

Gally posted:

If anybody is reading this thread before they read the DR1 thread and they get spoiled that is their own drat fault.
You just want an excuse to post here with that avatar without problems. :v: (I agree, though)

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Wasn't expecting that to actually be the same Togami. What happened, buddy? You really let yourself go!

This really illustrates Spike's brilliance in messing with the expectations of people who've played the previous game though. Togami's presence here really raises all kinds of questions about exactly how this group of students and this situation are related to the ones in DR1. I mean, even more than there already were! And all without giving anything away. Did Togami get in shape before DR1? Did he let himself go after? If this is a sequel, not a prequel, how much of what happened in Hope's Peak does he remember? Even if he does know poo poo he's probably not gonna talk about it, he's kind of a dick like that. If this is a prequel, how is what happened here gonna figure into what we saw in DR?

dang. I can already tell this poo poo is gonna be like ten times crazier than DR1 was.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Aisu posted:

Usami speculation

From how Usami has been presented so far (childish, intolerable, even a bit disturbing, pretending something that is terrifying is the best thing ever) I suspect that Usami is actually controlled by team despair as a sort of strawman for what "hope" really is. Think of that south park episode (and probably examples in real life) where the overly peppy drug free life advocate accomplishes the opposite effect intended.

Though it could just be the game having fun with how out there it is, and Usami may actually say constructive things in the future.

Monobear's almost certainly showing up in an update or two, this game doesn't really have a plot as it is now.

Edit: Also on "this game is a computer simulation" considering the whole hope vs. despair and how that is supposed to tie in with reality, I'd say that if that is the case it'd be a much better story for the students to be real but plugged into virtual reality machines (perhaps with the exception of an AI or two?). Gonna leave it at that until more evidence comes up since we've only really got hexcode and a few flickers to go on.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 13, 2012

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Character names, yay! I wonder how many of them we'll end up calling by their first names, and how many by their last names.

Nevermind, huh? Since we've already seen the "deceptive last name" in Celes-chan, I suspect that we'll be getting something different this time. Either Nevermind really is her last name (and the others won't ever believe her) or she made a mistake on the application forms and tried to correct it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I am predicting, based on the fact that we are outside and can experience night and day, that there will be night time on this island.

As there is also a Mono-usa in the op, I also predict that there will be a jekyll-hyde thing, with the monsters coming out at night.

And about pseudo-Naegi... Is it common for anagrams in japanese to be really obscure/annoying? And is using romaji letters normal for these kinds of games?

Asking because it seems like it would be a pain to re-write Naegi's name from kanji, to romaji, make an anagram that sounds like a name, then find kanji for the new name. Based on what little I know about japanese writing, thier names aren't really anagrams of eachother...

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gensuki posted:

I am predicting, based on the fact that we are outside and can experience night and day, that there will be night time on this island.

As there is also a Mono-usa in the op, I also predict that there will be a jekyll-hyde thing, with the monsters coming out at night.

And about pseudo-Naegi... Is it common for anagrams in japanese to be really obscure/annoying? And is using romaji letters normal for these kinds of games?

Asking because it seems like it would be a pain to re-write Naegi's name from kanji, to romaji, make an anagram that sounds like a name, then find kanji for the new name. Based on what little I know about japanese writing, thier names aren't really anagrams of eachother...

In English it's an anagram though so that may be what they wanted. I have no clue if I am right though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Gensuki posted:

It's still an anagram in hiragana, which is what really counts.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I don't know enough about kanji, much less the ones used in Naegi's and Nagito's names, but I DO remember my Hiragana and the same letters would be used in both names there (plus -da) given the ultra phonetic style of that alphabet.

While I can't comment on its validity, if the anagram is intentional, it probably wouldn't be as readily noticeable to a Japanese speaker opposed to an English one, especially since the names are first revealed *in* English. This may be one of those hidden in plain sight clues, kinda like how if you speak Arabic, you can understand what the terrorists are saying during the beginning of Iron Man, whereas to most western speakers, it didn't reveal anything and the plot twist concerning Obadiah Stane was kept a twist until later.

Slash_Prower
Sep 1, 2012
I like how they took one of the most attractive male characters of the last game and made him incredibly fat for the sequel.

R.I.P. Togami's old design.

a leeched image

It will be missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TKMobile posted:

While I can't comment on its validity, if the anagram is intentional, it probably wouldn't be as readily noticeable to a Japanese speaker opposed to an English one, especially since the names are first revealed *in* English.

Huh? They're clearly Japanese in the video, with the English names edited in.

• Locked thread