Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fraction posted:

Should I suck it up and not walk her for a week? Vet time to make sure it's definitely not infected? Dog booties?

Neosporin+Pain (cream version, not ointment), as big a piece as possible of nonstick gauze pad between the affected pads, athletic tape (the kind that only sticks to itself). Give it enough slack that her foot can flex a little when she steps on it, but still wrap it fairly firmly. This will stop her from licking it via a barrier, and also soothe the cut and help it heal.

I can't tell you how many times I had to do this for Husker. It works really well. Fold the gauze to make a little wedge to keep the cut pad away from the other pad and cushion it from rubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

RazorBunny posted:

Neosporin+Pain (cream version, not ointment), as big a piece as possible of nonstick gauze pad between the affected pads, athletic tape (the kind that only sticks to itself). Give it enough slack that her foot can flex a little when she steps on it, but still wrap it fairly firmly. This will stop her from licking it via a barrier, and also soothe the cut and help it heal.

I can't tell you how many times I had to do this for Husker. It works really well. Fold the gauze to make a little wedge to keep the cut pad away from the other pad and cushion it from rubbing.

Apparently we don't get Neosporin in the UK. Is there a no brand type of cream I can get? At least I know where to get the other stuff.

The e-collar won't help too much; she licks it to try and keep it clean when we're out, too. I think if she couldn't lick it because e-collar she'd have a meltdown.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Not sure what the non-branded name would be, hmm. Maybe just look for an antibiotic cream. If you can find one with a pain relieving ingredient, all the better. I would definitely say go cream over petroleum-based ointment.

I never bothered with an e-collar for paw injuries, since the collar basically made him shut down. Just putting the bandage over it will keep her from messing with the wound too much, and athletic tape is difficult for them to remove themselves. Sometimes Husker would lick the bandage, which seemed to make him feel better but didn't disturb the wound.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fraction posted:

Apparently we don't get Neosporin in the UK. Is there a no brand type of cream I can get? At least I know where to get the other stuff.

The e-collar won't help too much; she licks it to try and keep it clean when we're out, too. I think if she couldn't lick it because e-collar she'd have a meltdown.

Look for "triple antibiotic ointment". However I am not really finding anything online and even running into places saying that anything remotely equivalent in the UK is prescription only.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Weird. Triple antibiotic ointment is usually bacitracin (however you spell it), neomycin, polymycin... something like that... BNP..so maybe you can look for ointment with those ingredients.

Why cream over petroleum?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Petroleum seems to make the bandages more prone to slippage, and I've occasionally seen it create additional irritation in the form of clogged pores. If it's all you can get, it's better than nothing, though. I would let the wound air out a few hours a day if I was going to use ointment rather than cream.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
I'm so sorry to hear about Husker, Razorbunny. :( He had a good run, though. He was always one of my favorite PI dogs.

We're going out to grab groceries and dinner, and when we get back I'm gonna let Savannah and Poppy open their PISSmas presents. And my PISS package is going out tomorrow! :woop:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Fraction posted:

My british expat dad swears by Boots Antiseptic Cream but I don't know if they're even still in business.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Pile of Kittens posted:

My british expat dad swears by Boots Antiseptic Cream but I don't know if they're even still in business.

Boots? Yeah, my housemate actually works for them :v: If I can't find the stuff I need in the supermarket tomorrow I'll ask her to get me some cream. Thanks guys :)

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
So sorry to hear about Husker. I've always enjoyed reading about him. :sympathy:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Fraction posted:

Boots? Yeah, my housemate actually works for them :v: If I can't find the stuff I need in the supermarket tomorrow I'll ask her to get me some cream. Thanks guys :)

If they have a pharmacy counter ask them, sometimes they keep some stuff back there which they wouldn't put out on the shelves, but doesn't require a prescription.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RazorBunny posted:

Pretty much. Search the hashtag #pawcircle on Twitter and see how crazy these people are.

Why did I do that :catstare: Getting weirded at by people on twitter isn't cool.

That stinks RazorBunny. Best of luck and your family did a great thing taking him in.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

RazorBunny posted:

I don't really appreciate it when strangers try to comfort me. And I mean strangers, as in, I have never had any contact with these people before in my life. You guys know me kinda, and you've been along for the ride with Husker the whole time. It makes sense for you to care. It doesn't make sense for these people to care, and that makes it feel kind of insincere and creepy.

I would feel the same way. I'm very sorry, RB. It came sooner than I hoped. :smith: All of my internet hugs to you.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

The cats are doing their best to either cheer me up or drive me batshit by dragging out all their jingliest toys and rampaging around the house with them.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR

RazorBunny posted:

The cats are doing their best to either cheer me up or drive me batshit by dragging out all their jingliest toys and rampaging around the house with them.

Given my understanding of cats, it is likely that both are their intentions.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

Zoso doesn't appreciate home-made gifts and would rather a real bone.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
I'm genuinely really sad for RB and really happy for Super.

Why does the internet make me care about people I have never met and their pets?

Man, PI is amazing in a kinda scary weird way.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Crossposting from the animal nutrion thread because I haven't gotten any input:

quote:

I've been feeding my GSD puppy Orijen large breed puppy and someone recently mentioned that feeding puppy food might be the reason he's so big. Is there any truth to this? I though the large breed puppy foods were designed specifically to keep them from insane growth spurts but he is really big for his age (4.5 months, 48 lbs, 22" at the withers). I checked the calcium and phosporus levels and they're 1.7% / 1.4%.

Also is there any point in starting him on a joint suppliment and if so, can anyone recommend one?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My dog is hating all of you right now. It's staying on until Friday, and she's on no walks until Friday. This is gonna be fun :haw:

At least the makeshift bandage... thing... has upset her enough that she's barely willing to walk around on it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh god RB I'm late but I'm sorry about Husker too. My offer still stands in about 24 hours or so.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh god RB I'm late but I'm sorry about Husker too. My offer still stands in about 24 hours or so.

Aw, thanks.

I'm really okay, not just saying I'm okay. One of my friends took me out to dinner last night and let me drink a giant Hurricane, and then I came home and tipsily murdered Handsome Jack (not a euphemism, a Borderlands reference) and slept for like ten hours.

It's weird to look around the house and see all his stuff, and there are so many subtle little things that are different without him here. Mostly I just feel kind of wistful. Each cat took a turn cuddling in bed with me last night, though of course they would never be seen there at the same time. I'm not sure what they're thinking right now, whether they've figured it out or not.

I'm glad he got one last party at my house where he was still feeling good. He got lots of pets from everyone and got to mooch some broccoli and see all his favorite people.

I can count so many really awesome people as my friends, including all you crazy dogladies :)

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Fraction posted:

My dog is hating all of you right now. It's staying on until Friday, and she's on no walks until Friday. This is gonna be fun :haw:

At least the makeshift bandage... thing... has upset her enough that she's barely willing to walk around on it.

At first I thought her paw was amputated! We had to bandage up Deltas paw too, it's almost better 3 days later and I had the added bonus of calling her Limpy :haw:

adventure in the sandbox fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 12, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/patient-dog-waits-while-his-best-friend-plays-in-a

Oh my god this is nauseatingly cute. I don't know if the kid should be walking a big rear end sharpei, but hey.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Triangulum posted:

Crossposting from the animal nutrion thread because I haven't gotten any input:

I can't imagine that unless there's doggie growth hormone in the kibble, it can't make your puppy any larger than it already has the genetic capability for. You just got a giant puppy, that's all. Maybe he's getting all his growing over with early?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

adventure in the sandbox posted:

At first I thought her paw was amputated! We had to bandage up Deltas paw too, it's almost better 3 days later and I had the added bonus of calling her Limpy :haw:

Amputee dog. You are not the first person to have said that :saddowns:

It's hilarious watching her move. She'll walk normally and then suddenly realise that there is something on her paw and start limping and staring sadly at me like she can guilt trip me into taking it off.

wtftastic posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/patient-dog-waits-while-his-best-friend-plays-in-a

Oh my god this is nauseatingly cute. I don't know if the kid should be walking a big rear end sharpei, but hey.

Big rear end is right. That's one fat dog.

Is it bad that I didn't find it cute, just sort of went 'meh, fat dog, parents are obviously filming and probs told dog to stay'? It's me, I am the dog sperglord

Fraction fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 12, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fraction posted:

It's hilarious watching her move. She'll walk normally and then suddenly realise that there is something on her paw and start limping and staring sadly at me like she can guilt trip me into taking it off.

Big rear end is right. That's one fat dog.

Is it bad that I didn't find it cute, just sort of went 'meh, fat dog, parents are obviously filming and probs told dog to stay'? It's me, I am the dog sperglord

That's pretty much what I thought too, but like, the dog stayed very nicely?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

GUYS today is my last final exam and then I will be FREEEEE FOREVER! No more college! No professors, no masters!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

GUYS today is my last final exam and then I will be FREEEEE FOREVER! No more college! No professors, no masters!

I'm jealous.

Then again I willingly went to grad school soooo....

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Pile of Kittens posted:

Hey congrats! Welcome to the unemployment party! We're all drinking and crying! :toot:

So the dog has got a big ole bunch of Giardia again! :suicide: I have to give him 2 different powders in his food twice a day AND a squirt of some sort of liquid once a day. This drat dog! :argh:

The vet I take him to has an office cat. The cat was hit by a car a couple years ago, and has no tail! :3: He also has no control of his bladder and is fecally incontinent. But he's a cutie.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
At this point I would just be keeping that drat dog in a bubble, with a second bubble on his rear end.

There's some drama going on between my work and the local pit rescue (the one that hates me) because one of their dogs attacked one of their employees (his owner, a volunteer with the pit rescue). It was redirected aggression because he was trying to get to some other dogs but she was in the way. She euthed the dog. The manager there politely told them that since they've had two issues now with their dogs that they would be boarded at my facility instead since it's a better setting. The pit rescue lady replied back and WAY overreacted, bitching about how they're discriminating against pits and basically tried to so hard to blame the resort and not their precious angel furbaby oppressed pitties with issues and their volunteer. Ugh. That woman is a huge child. That dog should not have loving been there in the first place given his issues (which I'm pretty sure had been exacerbated by the balanced training group (yes, the one that hates me) she started taking him to). Just wanted to rant, and say I think it's hilarious their pits will be coming to my facility with me, which I'm sure will delight them if they ever find out.

I'M POPULAR~

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Skizzles posted:

At this point I would just be keeping that drat dog in a bubble, with a second bubble on his rear end.

There's some drama going on between my work and the local pit rescue (the one that hates me) because one of their dogs attacked one of their employees (his owner, a volunteer with the pit rescue). It was redirected aggression because he was trying to get to some other dogs but she was in the way. She euthed the dog. The manager there politely told them that since they've had two issues now with their dogs that they would be boarded at my facility instead since it's a better setting. The pit rescue lady replied back and WAY overreacted, bitching about how they're discriminating against pits and basically tried to so hard to blame the resort and not their precious angel furbaby oppressed pitties with issues and their volunteer. Ugh. That woman is a huge child. That dog should not have loving been there in the first place given his issues (which I'm pretty sure had been exacerbated by the balanced training group (yes, the one that hates me) she started taking him to). Just wanted to rant, and say I think it's hilarious their pits will be coming to my facility with me, which I'm sure will delight them if they ever find out.

I'M POPULAR~

Ugh, that poor dog. I'd drop that lady so fast from ever being able to do anything with my group or anything. It's obvious she's just a huge crazy person. Why do they put up with her? :byodame:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Because money. Also because my manager and one of my co-workers are fans of the rescue. They don't know all the poo poo I do about them and so they're still ~*a good rescue*~. My manager was really irritated about her screaming THE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST PITS card though, because that's bullshit. Maybe if this rescue didn't slap a prong collar on every dog for every little "problem" they wouldn't be constantly winding up as neurotic messes that keep redirecting aggression onto people (why yes it has happened before).

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Good lord Feldman :stare: How many times has he had Giardia now?

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Our cats are going to meet their first dog tonight! We're dogsitting for my husband's aunt for two weeks while she goes to Hawaii and moving our cats to her house tonight. I'm really not sure how they're going to react. The dog's ancient and gives no shits about cats whatsoever. Like, literally won't even be interested enough to smell them. So, really it's all dependent on how our cats react to this dog-shaped and dog-smelling footstool. If it goes well, it'll be really nice for everyone. If our cats decide to turn into dog-attacking hell beasts then they'll have to live separately.

Either way, it'll be interesting! I'm kind of guessing that they'll be so involved in destroying Christmas decorations (we're Scrooges who don't even usually do a tree because :effort:) that they won't have time to terrorize a dog. So many ornaments to break, so little time.

I'm just glad it's only for 2 weeks. (God, I really hope the dog doesn't die on me, she's like 15 and half blind and sometimes in the mornings when it's cold her back legs don't work well and she just had a tooth abscess and .....)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Triangulum posted:

Good lord Feldman :stare: How many times has he had Giardia now?

No kidding. You about need to take him to the vet whenever he has a solid poop because it would be so unusual. Does he still have Pica like he did as a puppy?

I bet his farts are room clearing.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Nione posted:

Our cats are going to meet their first dog tonight! We're dogsitting for my husband's aunt for two weeks while she goes to Hawaii and moving our cats to her house tonight. I'm really not sure how they're going to react. The dog's ancient and gives no shits about cats whatsoever. Like, literally won't even be interested enough to smell them. So, really it's all dependent on how our cats react to this dog-shaped and dog-smelling footstool. If it goes well, it'll be really nice for everyone. If our cats decide to turn into dog-attacking hell beasts then they'll have to live separately.

Either way, it'll be interesting! I'm kind of guessing that they'll be so involved in destroying Christmas decorations (we're Scrooges who don't even usually do a tree because :effort:) that they won't have time to terrorize a dog. So many ornaments to break, so little time.

I'm just glad it's only for 2 weeks. (God, I really hope the dog doesn't die on me, she's like 15 and half blind and sometimes in the mornings when it's cold her back legs don't work well and she just had a tooth abscess and .....)

Wanna see dis ancient dog! :3: You should keep them separate at first, I think. Like the cats in one room, and the dog in the other, let them just get used to the dog being in the house first. Then maybe slowly introduce them if the cats don't flip out/once they've gotten used to her.

Shifty Pony posted:

No kidding. You about need to take him to the vet whenever he has a solid poop because it would be so unusual. Does he still have Pica like he did as a puppy?

I bet his farts are room clearing.

Well, he's 1 year and 2 months now, and I'm pretty sure he's had it for like 8 or 9 months in total. The pica thing is weird. He doesn't eat rocks, but he seems to LOVE flowers, wood and leaves. Oh and poop. :v:

edit: his farts are horrible. Absolutely horrible. :gonk:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Skizzles posted:

Because money.

:hfive: :suicide:

We outta open our own place. You're down south, right? It's a lot cheaper down there than up here...

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Bash Ironfist posted:

Wanna see dis ancient dog! :3: You should keep them separate at first, I think. Like the cats in one room, and the dog in the other, let them just get used to the dog being in the house first. Then maybe slowly introduce them if the cats don't flip out/once they've gotten used to her.

Yeah, actually they probably won't MEET meet her for a few days. They're always strange in a ~*~new place~*~ so we'll let them get comfortable in the basement (we're staying in her furnished basement, so they'll be with us) and leave the dog upstairs.

IF they decide they can leave the dog alone, we'll move the dog into the basement with us. It's a little easier on her because she can go out in the backyard without having to navigate any steps.

I'll see if I can get some photos, she's a sweet dog. Black, labby-with-stub-legs, white face.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Bash Ironfist posted:

So the dog has got a big ole bunch of Giardia again! :suicide: I have to give him 2 different powders in his food twice a day AND a squirt of some sort of liquid once a day. This drat dog! :argh:

Bash, I want you to know, every time you talk about Feldman, this is what I envision:

The glorious dogoboros. A dog sucking his own rear end forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fraction posted:

Fun fact, if your terrier is anything like my terrier, for a few weeks after you take the bandage off, she will occasionally come up to you and beg for things by lifting that same paw off the ground and purposely limping, pretending she's still injured so that you will give her delicious treats.

• Locked thread