Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

After playing some of the ipod touch version of Marathon I really wonder how I played Doom and stuff back in the day with just a keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I had the best (worst) Marathon control scheme back in the day. I walked and turned with the arrow keys and then used my pinky on the numpad for looking up/center/down (8/5/2) and for strafing (1/3).

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Convex posted:

Gamecompanion is good for this, just extract wherever and add gzdoom.exe to the config file. Then set to run on startup and it'll do the rest.

Obviously make sure your gzdoom windowed resolution matches your native res as well.

Doesn't seem to work properly with GZDoom. I still get a really thin border around the top left corner and for some reason the HUD disappears?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm having issues installing these new custom WADs for GZDoom on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

My issue is that it can find the original WADs I have just fine that were all moved into the MacOS folder after I right-click on the app and select 'Show Package Contents'. The WADs I have so far are...

Final Doom
Doom 2
TNT
Plutonium
Heretic
Hexen
Another Hexen (don't remember specifics)
Freedoom
Strife

I've downloaded reelism, DTWID, all of this stuff, and I put the WADs with the other ones, but relaunching the app won't show them on the 'Choose your WAD' list that GZDoom always shows. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, I got Brutal Doom to work on OS X by editing one of the config files. No problems there.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm having issues installing these new custom WADs for GZDoom on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

My issue is that it can find the original WADs I have just fine that were all moved into the MacOS folder after I right-click on the app and select 'Show Package Contents'. The WADs I have so far are...

Final Doom
Doom 2
TNT
Plutonium
Heretic
Hexen
Another Hexen (don't remember specifics)
Freedoom
Strife

I've downloaded reelism, DTWID, all of this stuff, and I put the WADs with the other ones, but relaunching the app won't show them on the 'Choose your WAD' list that GZDoom always shows. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Also, I got Brutal Doom to work on OS X by editing one of the config files. No problems there.

The wad chooser is just to pick the IWAD (basically, the base game you're loading, like Doom 2 or whatever). PWADs, the patch wads you're loading on top of the IWAD, aren't supposed to show up in the list there.

I'm not sure offhand how it works in the Mac port of GZDoom, but you should be able to load PWADs by dragging and dropping their icons onto GZDoom, or if it includes a built-in launcher like some of the Mac Doom ports do, or as a last resort if neither of those apply, using Terminal to -file the wads you want to load.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
drat, the Saturn X release is something else. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Any plans on adding more music?

If I could pick one track to add, it would be Rock n' Roll Racing's version of Highway Star. It just really fits for some reason and I find myself listening to it often when I get bored of the default music.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Thanks! There's more variety than I thought. Do all of them have an equal probability of happening?
After the first round, yes. For the first round of a map it uses a whitelist to ensure you're not immediately hosed over by fate.

Glad you're enjoying it!

esselfortium posted:

BTW, if you downloaded an earlier version, be sure to update to 0.99e because I made a booboo in Sunday's rush of last-minute changes that left one of the levels impossible to exit. :doh:
Hey there Essel! BTSX is fantastic!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Thanks, it's nice to see so many people enjoying it :)

There'll be more in 2013, honest!

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

esselfortium posted:

Thanks, it's nice to see so many people enjoying it :)

There'll be more in 2013, honest!

The textures in this are amazing. Everything is, really. I was just telling a friend today that had this come out fifteen or so years ago, this would have been a commercial success. Everybody working on this should be really proud of themselves.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I just started playing Reelism today and holy poo poo this is amazing. The .txt says that the game supports multiplayer co-op, and if I can get this working I know this'll be a smash hit at the next lan party I throw with my friends.

That brings me to my question: What do I have to do to get a multiplayer game of this set up?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

I just started playing Reelism today and holy poo poo this is amazing. The .txt says that the game supports multiplayer co-op, and if I can get this working I know this'll be a smash hit at the next lan party I throw with my friends.

That brings me to my question: What do I have to do to get a multiplayer game of this set up?
I have a nice guide ready for the next update, but to sum it up:

1.) Zandronum won't work right now. Sorry.
2.) Do this: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Multiplayer
3.) Add "+map lobby" to the end of the host's command line.
4.) Make sure everyone's using the same versions of GZDoom and Reelism or things will desync and break very quickly.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

I have a nice guide ready for the next update, but to sum it up:

1.) Zandronum won't work right now. Sorry.
2.) Do this: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Multiplayer
3.) Add "+map lobby" to the end of the host's command line.
4.) Make sure everyone's using the same versions of GZDoom and Reelism or things will desync and break very quickly.

Thank you very much! Can't wait to introduce my friends to this insanity.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
:siren::siren::siren:Duke Nukem 3D is free on GOG for the next 48 hours!:siren::siren::siren:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Awesome, snatched it up.

I really hope Brutal Duke will be a thing someday.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Awesome, snatched it up.

I really hope Brutal Duke will be a thing someday.

Play War of Attrition in the meantime?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BnZPm7sLkk

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
If you've not yet played Saturn X, try what I did. I loaded it up with the latest Samsara mod to try the Quake Ranger, and holy poo poo, does he fit in these levels. The browns, greys, and greens with glowing red techo bits, and the level designs... I had that wave of "playing Quake for the first time" nostalgia.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Whats the best way to play Duke Nukem online coop?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

crusty posted:

I played through all four episodes (and through Blood too) using the pre-configured multiplayer configuration offered by GOG. You may have you use a virtual LAN program like Evolve or Hamachi for it to work properly, however.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That Ignorant Sap posted:

If you've not yet played Saturn X, try what I did. I loaded it up with the latest Samsara mod to try the Quake Ranger, and holy poo poo, does he fit in these levels. The browns, greys, and greens with glowing red techo bits, and the level designs... I had that wave of "playing Quake for the first time" nostalgia.

This owns, Ranger is a great addition because of how some Quake weapons worked, my favourite is the grenade launcher with its secondary fire, a cluster grenade that can clear a room really fast. I love Samsara because I can replay every megawad and will change your gamestyle depending on wich char you choose.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I asked this earlier but didn't get a response: How do I go about getting ZDL or any of it's variants running under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? I've got Zandronum running just fine, but I have no front end to easily load PWADs or .pk3 files.

The ZDL site just has binaries for Windows; I assume I'm supposed to compile the source code locally on my laptop for Linux, although I'm not sure how to do that.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

misterdoo01 posted:

I asked this earlier but didn't get a response: How do I go about getting ZDL or any of it's variants running under Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? I've got Zandronum running just fine, but I have no front end to easily load PWADs or .pk3 files.

The ZDL site just has binaries for Windows; I assume I'm supposed to compile the source code locally on my laptop for Linux, although I'm not sure how to do that.

Can't you just manually drag the WADs onto the binary? ZDL is only necessary if you're trying to run multiple PWADs together (shouldn't be too often, surely) and load order is an issue.

Most doom launchers I know of are only written for Win32. I haven't used Zandronum, but if it still has the Doomseeker server browser, you can use that to set up an offline game with a GUI interface which supports setting dmflags, wads etc.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Tiger Schwert posted:

Can't you just manually drag the WADs onto the binary?

In Windows, yes. In Linux (or at least Ubuntu), no. When I run Zandronum it actually executes it from an "Executable Text File." Trying to drag any .wad file over it does not work. I also can't modify it's properties to load a .wad file alongside the execution either.

Tiger Schwert posted:

I haven't used Zandronum, but if it still has the Doomseeker server browser, you can use that to set up an offline game with a GUI interface which supports setting dmflags, wads etc.

It installed Doomseeker alongside Zandronum. I can join other games. I can even launch an offline server. But there is no option to just straight up launch the server and then join it with those WADs.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

misterdoo01 posted:

In Windows, yes. In Linux (or at least Ubuntu), no. When I run Zandronum it actually executes it from an "Executable Text File." Trying to drag any .wad file over it does not work. I also can't modify it's properties to load a .wad file alongside the execution either.

That's a shell script and drag-dropping WADs onto it should work. If it doesn't, the script writer screwed up. If you pastebin the contents I can have a look, if you like.

You should be able to do it from the command line, at least, by cd-into into where Doom is installed and then running gzdoom <IWAD> <PWAD 1> <PWAD 2> ...

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

That's a shell script and drag-dropping WADs onto it should work. If it doesn't, the script writer screwed up. If you pastebin the contents I can have a look, if you like.

You should be able to do it from the command line, at least, by cd-into into where Doom is installed and then running gzdoom <IWAD> <PWAD 1> <PWAD 2> ...

Actually, I should correct myself; when I drag the WADs onto the shell script, Ubuntu is interpreting it as me trying to copy it to the folder it's in (and then denying it, because "Permission Denied"), which is usr/bin. It MIGHT not be the script, but rather, Ubuntu.

I opened the script file in gedit, and all that was in it was this:

#!/bin/bash

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/games/zandronum /usr/games/zandronum/zandronum $*
exit $?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
Fun little detail with Samsara: You can play any game as the Chex Warrior, and any the enemy you defeat will get zorched (teleported away) rather than killed.

You can also play Chex Quest as anyone other than the Chex Warrior, and the Flemoids will... not get zorched.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

misterdoo01 posted:

Actually, I should correct myself; when I drag the WADs onto the shell script, Ubuntu is interpreting it as me trying to copy it to the folder it's in (and then denying it, because "Permission Denied"), which is usr/bin. It MIGHT not be the script, but rather, Ubuntu.

It's Ubuntu, yeah. Drag-drop seems to be broken. What the gently caress, people, this worked in earlier versions. Why would you break this. :psyduck:

It should still work from the command line.

quote:

I opened the script file in gedit, and all that was in it was this:

The script itself looks ok.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
UBUNTU! :argh:

Alright, well, I'll try it with the command line and rep-OH WAIT, can't drop the WADs in that folder because I don't have permission to do that according to Ubuntu.

I'll need to look into fixing that first, I guess.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

What's the easiest way to coop brutal doom? Or is it single-player only?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Grandmaster.flv posted:

What's the easiest way to coop brutal doom? Or is it single-player only?

Zandronum + Doomseeker, completed all of Doom one with Brutal Doom Co-op back in Skulltag, should work the same way.

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

crusty posted:

Use eDuke32 and YANG. I was playing it earlier with my buddy. MUCH better than using the GoG thing. It has a browser and everything. You do have to use an older version of eDuke32 though. Here's the link for YANG. Good luck man.

MasonF fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 13, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dave Oshry, the marketing/PR chap on ROTT 2012, wrote a blog post on quitting games journalism to help revive a classic FPS. It's a fun, if mildly unhinged read!

quote:

“So let me get this straight: you’re gonna take a game that’s five months in development, have the president of id Software introduce it on the first day of Quake Con before Carmack’s keynote, and then have it playable for the public on the show floor before showing an even less developed single player build behind closed doors to the press?”

That’s the plan, yes.

“Are you out of your loving mind?!”

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
For those of you who like to use Grid View in Steam, I made a banner for Reelism!

To use it:

1. Make sure you're using Grid View (The upper-right under the Library tab, select what looks like four squares).
2. Add GZDoom to Steam (Add a Game > Add a Non-Steam Game > Browse to your GZDoom directory and select)
3. Right click on the new GZDoom entry in your library and select "properties..."
4. Add -file reelism_x1.31.pk7 to the end of the Target box. (Assuming your Reelism file is in the same directory as the copy of GZDoom, otherwise make sure you specify the directory) Also make sure to rename GZDoom to "Reelism" so it falls into the correct alphabetical order!
5. Right-click on your new Reelism shortcut and select "Set Custom Image..."
6. Navigate to wherever you saved the above image and select it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished reading through the entire thread. Took me a few days. In the meantime I've been getting back to playing Doom / Heretic etc. Man these games are fun. The graphics are good enough, and the controls / UI are modern enough now with the various source ports. I played boatloads of Heretic back in the day, but was never allowed to get Doom, so I skipped that by entirely. I'm working through it now on UV. The first episode was shockingly easy, but it's starting to get tougher. Based on what I've read, I haven't really even scratched the difficulty surface. I've fooled around a fair bit with Brutal Doom too, but I don't want to get too much into that until I beat the game in vanilla.

Few questions though.

There seem to be two main source ports (excluding the more vanilla stuff like Chocolate Doom), gzdoom and zandorum. Is the only advantage to Zandorum having easy online with Doomseeker?

How does loading the IWads work? Ie I understand the mechanics of actually doing it, because qzdl is pretty great and dead simple, but I don't understand when / why things work, or how to ensure they work as expected. I seem to be having an issue with missing textures in Episode 2 using Beautiful Doom (using the ultimate doom iwad) and I'm wondering if it's related to how I'm loading the wads.

On that note, how important is load order / what should come first?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

misterdoo01 posted:

UBUNTU! :argh:

Alright, well, I'll try it with the command line and rep-OH WAIT, can't drop the WADs in that folder because I don't have permission to do that according to Ubuntu.

I'll need to look into fixing that first, I guess.

What? No, no. The stuff in /usr/bin can be run from anywhere by default, and you shouldn't be dropping other random files into it - it's for programs that are installed system-wide.

Just cd into the directory where the WADs are and run zandronum doom2.wad samsara.wad or whatever. It doesn't need to be in the same place as the program itself.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Jordan7hm posted:

Just finished reading through the entire thread. Took me a few days. In the meantime I've been getting back to playing Doom / Heretic etc. Man these games are fun. The graphics are good enough, and the controls / UI are modern enough now with the various source ports. I played boatloads of Heretic back in the day, but was never allowed to get Doom, so I skipped that by entirely. I'm working through it now on UV. The first episode was shockingly easy, but it's starting to get tougher. Based on what I've read, I haven't really even scratched the difficulty surface. I've fooled around a fair bit with Brutal Doom too, but I don't want to get too much into that until I beat the game in vanilla.

Few questions though.

There seem to be two main source ports (excluding the more vanilla stuff like Chocolate Doom), gzdoom and zandorum. Is the only advantage to Zandorum having easy online with Doomseeker?

How does loading the IWads work? Ie I understand the mechanics of actually doing it, because qzdl is pretty great and dead simple, but I don't understand when / why things work, or how to ensure they work as expected. I seem to be having an issue with missing textures in Episode 2 using Beautiful Doom (using the ultimate doom iwad) and I'm wondering if it's related to how I'm loading the wads.

On that note, how important is load order / what should come first?

Load order doesn't matter for iwads, they're always the first thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Zandronum is an older version of GZDoom with a full client/server netcode architecture, allowing for joining games in progress etc. GZDoom in comparison uses a peer-to-peer netcode system, which means everyone has to be present before the game can start.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep. GZDoom has a lot of additional features (such as textured automap) compared to Zandronum.

Jordan7hm posted:

Things are loading in this way:

0. Port-specific support data (e.g., gzdoom.pk3)
1. IWAD
2. Whatever is autoloaded
3. All the stuff that has been -filed*, in the order given
4. If zips have been -filed, and they contain WAD files in their root directory, these embedded WADs are loaded alphabetically and following the zip.

(* Actual use of -file is superfluous, "gzdoom foobar.wad" will work just as well as "gzdoom -file foobar.wad".)

Now, how it works. Basically, everything is appended together. So if you load doom2.wad and foobar.wad, it will be as if you took foobar.wad, copied all its content directly at the end of the IWAD, and loaded that.

Now when the engine looks for a data lump inside the loaded WADs, it starts from the end and goes backward towards the beginning. The first lump found is selected. That's why MAP01 from foobar.wad will replace MAP01 from doom2.wad.

ZDoom complexifies that a bit by also having cumulative loading for certain lumps. Then they are all loaded, and in normal order instead of reverse order. For example, MAPINFO are cumulative, so it'll start by loading the MAPINFO from gzdoom.pk3, then the MAPINFO from the IWAD (if any), then the MAPINFO from each of the other loaded files, in order. If an archive has several copies of a cumulatively loaded lump, they are all read in sequence.

ZDoom loads textures cumulatively, but there are plenty of subtleties. If the same texture lump defines the same texture twice or more, only the first (not last) is taken into account. Whereas if a texture is redefined in a later lump, it is overridden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome, thanks. I'm still not 100% on all of this loading stuff, but this helps quite a bit.