Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Scambl posted:

I'm looking for a really immersive game where night is pitch black like in Miasmata. Moonlight lighting up everything just isn't doing it for me anymore, I want a game where I really feel like It's live or die.
Don't Starve.

Also any Bethsoft game since Morrowind can be modded to feature pitch black nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Scambl posted:

I'm looking for a really immersive game where night is pitch black like in Miasmata. Moonlight lighting up everything just isn't doing it for me anymore, I want a game where I really feel like It's live or die.
Try Dragon's Dogma. Night is pretty drat black even if you equip a lantern, and it brings out a whole slew of nasty enemies that you don't see in the day time. There's no way to advance time except finding an inn so if you're out wandering the woods when the sun goes down you're stuck.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Ashenai posted:

I think you're looking for Noctis IV.

This, and also Space Engine for pretty graphics.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scambl posted:

STALKER (Shadow of Chernobyl or Call of Pripyat, at least) is like this with the right mods. For the best experience, I recommend finding megamod recommendations without finding out exactly what they do - which is a task you'd struggle with anyway, STALKER mods are the undisputed champions of feature creep - and plunging right in. Not only will the nights be dark and scary as hell, with safety a long way away, but even if you've played before, you can be guaranteed a few unexpected surprises lurking just out of view...

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
-I'm looking for a 4X game similar to Civ 5, but faster. I love Civ but there are a couple of things that bother me-- the diplomacy (and particularly selling luxury resources for 240 gold every single time) really takes me out of the action, I don't really like the combat (slow units that tend to bunch up), and I feel like the happiness penalty for conquering cities makes war unappealing to the point that I just sit in my castle and win with science every time. More than anything else, I find myself taking 10 minutes for a single turn and that's not really what I want out of a game. Warlock: Master of the Arcane solved most of these problems for me, but after 20 hours I feel like every game is playing out identically. A game with Warlock's combat and fast pace with more diversity of units/resources/a tech tree would be perfect.

I don't need it to be super balanced and I don't care a lot about graphics, but I really want it to be fast-paced. Setting-wise I'd prefer fantasy over space over medieval over WW2, but anything that lets you do cool things is fine by me.

-I used to play Dungeon Keeper 2 a lot as a kid. Are there any modern games that are at all like it? In particular the mining/gathering paired with tile-based room allotment, and also the diversity of creatures, are what I remember most fondly.

Those requests sound drat specific, but I'd really appreciate any suggestions at all. Thanks!

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

TheGame posted:

-I used to play Dungeon Keeper 2 a lot as a kid. Are there any modern games that are at all like it? In particular the mining/gathering paired with tile-based room allotment, and also the diversity of creatures, are what I remember most fondly.
It might not fit your definition of modern, but Evil Genius is a straight up Dungeon Keeper clone with a 60's spy movie super-villain motif. It's about 10 bucks on Steam and GOG.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

TheGame posted:

Dungeons and its standalone addon, Dungeons - The Dark Lord. It's not exactly Dungeon Keeper, but it is very similar in many ways.

It's not released yet, but Impire should be pretty similar to Dungeon Keeper as well. The recently released A Game of Dwarves also fits the description, minus the creatures part. But I haven't played it and it has gotten some pretty bad reviews.

I also second the Evil Genius suggestion above. It's an amazing game, and I must have played through it at least 20 times.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheGame posted:

-I'm looking for a 4X game similar to Civ 5, but faster. I love Civ but there are a couple of things that bother me-- the diplomacy (and particularly selling luxury resources for 240 gold every single time) really takes me out of the action, I don't really like the combat (slow units that tend to bunch up), and I feel like the happiness penalty for conquering cities makes war unappealing to the point that I just sit in my castle and win with science every time. More than anything else, I find myself taking 10 minutes for a single turn and that's not really what I want out of a game. Warlock: Master of the Arcane solved most of these problems for me, but after 20 hours I feel like every game is playing out identically. A game with Warlock's combat and fast pace with more diversity of units/resources/a tech tree would be perfect.

Conquest of Elysium 3. It's :10bux: on steam. It is focused strictly on combat, and the dozen or so different factions are all very different, so learning strategies for each one is a lot of fun.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Looking for games that are similar to:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
X-Men Legends 1 and 2
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2
Star Wars Jedi Power Battles
Dynasty Warrior Series
Castle Crashers (loved it!)
Lego Games

A-RPGs that toss a bunch of no-name minions at you. I'm a fan of 16-bit/Arcade beat-em ups as well. Any game where I can zone out and beat some stuff up for a while. Indie games are cool and a big plus if it's on Steam with controller support.

J3ng4 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 9, 2012

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Recommend me a game, goons!

What I'm looking for: a city simulator or something similar where I attract citizens by doing things for them, similar to Minecraft's Millenaire mod. I've played the hell out of SimCity 4 and I didn't like Cities XL much because it sucked. Also, I love all kinds of simulator games except flight sims, so hit me with what you've got!

Also, any kind of political/business simulator would be welcome too. I played Capitalism 2 but it was very uncomfortable to play because the UI was really clumsy and it just wasn't that fun of a game. I've also played Democracy 2 and it was very spreadsheety and fun, but also very buggy and crashed to the desktop all the time.

I have played, or own:

SimCity 4
Cities XL
Democracy 2
Capitalism 2
Farming Simulator (this sucks)
Most of the Paradox library - these are amazing

I tried to get into Dwarf Fortress but the learning curve was like scaling Mount Everest with a weasel in your pants. Space Station 13 was the same. I did like FTL, but I didn't play it very much because it lacked depth to me.

Edit: I tried Towns, and the concept there is what I like. The game itself was a horrible, buggy mess that I felt ripped off on because I bought it not knowing it was for all intents and purposes an alpha version that the devs pushed out as a quick cash grab.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

HonorableTB posted:

What I'm looking for: a city simulator

Anno?

1404/Dawn of Discovery for quaint villages, or 2070 for more futuristic stuff. 2070 is newer but they play fairly similar aside from the settings.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Tagra posted:

Anno?

1404/Dawn of Discovery for quaint villages, or 2070 for more futuristic stuff. 2070 is newer but they play fairly similar aside from the settings.

I've played 1404, but I never could get 2070 to work properly. I am a total dumbass and couldn't figure out how to actually do anything in the first level because there was nothing explained to me about how to actually play.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

HonorableTB posted:

What I'm looking for: a city simulator or something similar where I attract citizens by doing things for them, similar to Minecraft's Millenaire mod. I've played the hell out of SimCity 4 and I didn't like Cities XL much because it sucked. Also, I love all kinds of simulator games except flight sims, so hit me with what you've got!

Also, any kind of political/business simulator would be welcome too. I played Capitalism 2 but it was very uncomfortable to play because the UI was really clumsy and it just wasn't that fun of a game. I've also played Democracy 2 and it was very spreadsheety and fun, but also very buggy and crashed to the desktop all the time.

I have played, or own:

SimCity 4
Cities XL
Democracy 2
Capitalism 2

I tried to get into Dwarf Fortress but the learning curve was like scaling Mount Everest with a weasel in your pants. Space Station 13 was the same. I did like FTL, but I didn't play it very much because it lacked depth to me.

Edit: I tried Towns, and the concept there is what I like. The game itself was a horrible, buggy mess that I felt ripped off on because I bought it not knowing it was for all intents and purposes an alpha version that the devs pushed out as a quick cash grab.

Have you tried going a bit more old school? Sim City 2000 is a bit harder to get into than 4 because of the UI, but I found a lot more forgiving and much more fun in the city building aspect.

Alpha Centauri is a 4x where you build cities, armies, and perform diplomacy (or warmacy :downsrim:) with the AI, who all have unique personalities and traits. It's the most political and diplomatic 4x I've ever played.

And finally the Dungeon Keeper series is all about performing certain goals to attract certain monsters for you to build and heroes for you to kill.

All three of those can be found on GOG for somewhat cheap, and go on sale rather often.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 10, 2012

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

HonorableTB posted:

What I'm looking for: a city simulator or something similar where I attract citizens by doing things for them

Majesty, definitely.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm looking for single-player PC games that have immersive stories and settings. I bought Alan Wake during a Steam Sale months ago, and started playing it a few weeks ago when I was bored, thinking it would be a fun time killer. It turned out to have been one of the best games I've played, and I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before. I'm looking for more games that will give me that feeling.

Games I like that fit this include Alan Wake, Alpha Protocol, System/Bioshock, Deus Ex and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall.

edit: Looks like this was brought up at the top of last page. I've played (and loved) To The Moon, and am at episode 3 in The Walking Dead. More suggestions couldn't hurt.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 10, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dominoes posted:

I'm looking for single-player PC games that have immersive stories and settings. I bought Alan Wake during a Steam Sale months ago, and started playing it a few weeks ago when I was bored, thinking it would be a fun time killer. It turned out to have been one of the best games I've played, and I was surprised I hadn't heard of it before. I'm looking for more games that will give me that feeling.

Games I like that fit this include Alan Wake, Alpha Protocol, System/Bioshock, Deus Ex and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall.

edit: Looks like this was brought up at the top of last page. I've played (and loved) To The Moon, and am at episode 3 in The Walking Dead. More suggestions couldn't hurt.

Go to GoG.com and have a look at the WadJet Eye games (Blackwell Bundle, which is four episodic games, Resonance, Gemini Rue and Primordia). They're all point-and-click adventure games with really good plots, and puzzles that are generally logical.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

HonorableTB posted:

I have played, or own:

SimCity 4
Cities XL
Democracy 2
Capitalism 2

Try Gnomoria. It's a graphical DF-like that's still in alpha, but it's way less buggy than Towns. There's a free demo to give you an idea of how it plays.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Have there been any recent, decent, single player FPS games for PC? I'm right in the mood for one. Nothing with recharging health though, which seems to rule out most of the recent releases. Something like the Stalker games would be just the ticket. Not ARMA2 though. I tried that and ... well, it's just a bit poo poo. Couldn't get into Metro 2033 either. Any great suggestions? Have been replaying OFP to pass the time, but I could do with something a bit more modern.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I know it's a limited question, but: if I were going to play a Fallout game, which would you recommend I play first?

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Rashomon posted:

I know it's a limited question, but: if I were going to play a Fallout game, which would you recommend I play first?
Fallout 1 and 2 are a tossup. Both great, but when I go back to re-play I always go for Fallout 2. Nothing is really lost between 1 and 2 other than some little things here and there like knowing about the Master. Fallout 3 was good and some people prefer it to New Vegas but NV is definitely more "polished" and fun to play in my opinion. Fallout Tactics was surprisingly awesome and I highly recommend playing it if you haven't already.

I feel like the gulf between 1 and 2 is the same as between 3 and NV. 1 and 3 both do great jobs, but the follow-ups in both cases just seem to hit the sweet spot juuust a little bit better.

So in my order, I'd start with Fallout 2-> FO: New Vegas-> FO: Tactics-> The rest.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Play Fallout 3 first because if you play the others first you might not like Fallout 3.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rashomon posted:

I'd go with the original. 2 may be bigger but 1 does a much better job sticking to its tone and atmosphere. It would also be kinda hard playing them in reverse order due to all the little convenience features added in 2.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

HonorableTB posted:

Tropico 3/4 is great for citizen interaction. It's quite unique in that regard.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Pipski posted:

Have there been any recent, decent, single player FPS games for PC? I'm right in the mood for one. Nothing with recharging health though, which seems to rule out most of the recent releases. Something like the Stalker games would be just the ticket. Not ARMA2 though. I tried that and ... well, it's just a bit poo poo. Couldn't get into Metro 2033 either. Any great suggestions? Have been replaying OFP to pass the time, but I could do with something a bit more modern.

Have you tried Far Cry 3 yet? It's got some quirks (mainly with the UI) but is a really fun fps, no recharging health, but you can heal yourself easily enough. The island it takes place on is beautiful too.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Play Fallout 3 first because if you play the others first you might not like Fallout 3.

Seconding this. If I played New Vegas before 3 I would've given up at the first big "moral dilemma" (Do you want to do nothing to this town, or BLOW IT UP? LEGITIMATE DECISIONMAKING TIME, PLAYER) because of how hamfisted is, but it really is a good game in a lot of ways, and you'd be missing out on a lot of neat things in it otherwise. Just start with it so everything else seems like an improvement.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
You just have to stomach the part where the sheriff walks with you to the bar to "show you some wasteland justice" and that sleazy guy who wants you to blow up the town shoots him in the back and no one reacts or cares. Fallout 3 has some really cool stuff in it but I still can't believe that outcome with that reaction made it into the final game.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Leper Residue posted:

Have you tried Far Cry 3 yet? It's got some quirks (mainly with the UI) but is a really fun fps, no recharging health, but you can heal yourself easily enough. The island it takes place on is beautiful too.

Actually, there is recharging health. It just based on the current pip of health you're at, instead of the entire health bar. However, the game features an extremely simple healing mechanic, where you can, at any point, heal one or more pips by pressing the heal button even if you do not have any healing syringes with you. It's not recharging health, but it's not much better either.

It's a pretty drat good game, in any case.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hey, if you guys haven't played Metro 2033 yet, get on that ASAP. That game is fan-loving-tastic and I can't believe it took me this long to get around to playing it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Liberatore posted:

Actually, there is recharging health. It just based on the current pip of health you're at, instead of the entire health bar. However, the game features an extremely simple healing mechanic, where you can, at any point, heal one or more pips by pressing the heal button even if you do not have any healing syringes with you. It's not recharging health, but it's not much better either.

It's a pretty drat good game, in any case.

This is entirely true, but it was the only recent game I could think of that didn't have explicit recharging health. Even Borderlands 2 has recharging shields and health on kills. Dishonored doesn't have it, but it's not really a traditional fps.

If you're willing to do third person, both Dead Space and Max Payne 3 don't have recharging health and require painkillers/first aid kits.

Edit: Serious Sam 3.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

quote:

Fallout talk

I dunno, I don't think anyone'd be worse off with just starting with New Vegas.
I mean, if I have two pizzas, one decent but kinda bland and one really awesome and delicious, and both are easily big enough individually to tide me over for now, I'm not gonna start with the worse one to try and make the better one taste even better, because there's a good chance that I'll be sick of pizza by the time I finish the first one.

But that's just me, I can understand giving Fallout 3 a shot first just to see if the overall style holds any appeal. But I really would recommend you don't play Fallout 3 totally inside and out, because New Vegas is pretty much superior in every aspect and has TONS of poo poo to do what with all the DLC that's come out for it.
Oh and as for Fallout 3, the best DLC for that is Point Lookout.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Nordick posted:

I dunno, I don't think anyone'd be worse off with just starting with New Vegas.
I mean, if I have two pizzas, one decent but kinda bland and one really awesome and delicious, and both are easily big enough individually to tide me over for now, I'm not gonna start with the worse one to try and make the better one taste even better, because there's a good chance that I'll be sick of pizza by the time I finish the first one.

But that's just me, I can understand giving Fallout 3 a shot first just to see if the overall style holds any appeal. But I really would recommend you don't play Fallout 3 totally inside and out, because New Vegas is pretty much superior in every aspect and has TONS of poo poo to do what with all the DLC that's come out for it.
Oh and as for Fallout 3, the best DLC for that is Point Lookout.

The trouble is that playing the other Fallouts(not just New Vegas) creates certain standards for what a narrative should be like within that world/series which Fallout 3 does not fulfill. If you never know what you're missing, you'll be totally satisfied, most likely.

Personally I prefer Fallout 1 to 2 and think 1 should ideally be played first(New Vegas can be played at any time before, after or between them) but I originally played them in reverse order and it was totally fine.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a chill PC game that I can play with a controller. Something not too challenging, hopefully turned based, and ideally compatible with Steam big picture mode.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Meme posted:

I'm looking for a chill PC game that I can play with a controller. Something not too challenging, hopefully turned based, and ideally compatible with Steam big picture mode.

It's not turn based, but Bastion is worth playing. Works very well on a controller, and should work with big picture mode.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
I'm looking for a RPG (I prefer PC but would take any good advice at this point, name a PC game if you know one though) that is sort of JRPG'ish in that it is focused. I have trouble with games like Skyrim because there is too much available at one time. I can hardly get past the part where I am downloading mods just to play the drat game. Finally when I get in I just feel lost and quit.

I really, really value a well written and unique story that I cannot predict.

Anything?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You just described Anachronox pretty much exactly. The description of the game literally describes it as unique and unpredictable.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 11, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

teknologik posted:

I'm looking for a RPG (I prefer PC but would take any good advice at this point, name a PC game if you know one though) that is sort of JRPG'ish in that it is focused. I have trouble with games like Skyrim because there is too much available at one time. I can hardly get past the part where I am downloading mods just to play the drat game. Finally when I get in I just feel lost and quit.

I really, really value a well written and unique story that I cannot predict.

Anything?

Assuming you've played the actual JRPGs that are out there right now(Xenoblade), you could check out The Witcher 2. It's hub-based and focused around its branching storyline. The first game throws a bit more at you in terms of side content but The Witcher 2 keeps it fairly restrained in terms of the number of side quests available at one time. Side quests themselves tend to be somewhat involved. The areas are smallish compared to Skyrim as well.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

V for Vegas posted:

Conquest of Elysium 3. It's :10bux: on steam. It is focused strictly on combat, and the dozen or so different factions are all very different, so learning strategies for each one is a lot of fun.

Liberatore posted:

Dungeons and its standalone addon, Dungeons - The Dark Lord. It's not exactly Dungeon Keeper, but it is very similar in many ways.

Forgedbow posted:

It might not fit your definition of modern, but Evil Genius is a straight up Dungeon Keeper clone with a 60's spy movie super-villain motif. It's about 10 bucks on Steam and GOG.

Thanks everyone! I forgot about Evil Genius, I haven't played that in a while. I'll keep my eye out for the others over the winter sales.

Another longshot: Any other PC games out there similar to Bulletstorm? I really liked the combos, environmental kills, score system (to give incentive to replay levels), the incentives to use different guns in the same level, and the really fast pace. I've played a lot of arcade-style FPS games but the closest I can think of is... Painkiller or something, and that's not even that similar.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HonorableTB posted:

I've played 1404, but I never could get 2070 to work properly. I am a total dumbass and couldn't figure out how to actually do anything in the first level because there was nothing explained to me about how to actually play.

First level as in the campaign or a random map? I found the campaign did a pretty decent job of working as an extended tutorial (pretty sure that's what it was intended to be.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheGame posted:

Thanks everyone! I forgot about Evil Genius, I haven't played that in a while. I'll keep my eye out for the others over the winter sales.

Another longshot: Any other PC games out there similar to Bulletstorm? I really liked the combos, environmental kills, score system (to give incentive to replay levels), the incentives to use different guns in the same level, and the really fast pace. I've played a lot of arcade-style FPS games but the closest I can think of is... Painkiller or something, and that's not even that similar.

Serious Sam 3:BFE is pretty goddamn fun. The first 3 levels aren't that great, but after that you start getting the fun guns and a plenty of ammo for them. Plus it has the best double-barreled shotgun since Doom 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Serious Sam 3:BFE is pretty goddamn fun. The first 3 levels aren't that great, but after that you start getting the fun guns and a plenty of ammo for them. Plus it has the best double-barreled shotgun since Doom 2.

Agreeing with this, but I warn you that even as someone who loved SS3 and Bulletstorm, the last few level and final boss are a horrible shitshow of a slog.