Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Robert Denby posted:

Since we're talking about DC, here's a TV spot that I think qualifies as the worst, most misleading piece of marketing ever for a comic book movie. Its also really, really funny.

Haha this is a female spot. Most film campaigns make some target-specific spots for rotation on appropriate channels and shows to fill in the gaps on tracking. This looks like the type of thing to air on a CW poo poo chick drama because girls under 18 weren't very psyched by the Dark Knight trailers which makes sense.

I bet they didn't have to do this with the second one, Heath Ledger brought that demographic in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Jewmanji posted:

You say that like I'm the dumb one for thinking that's a cynical way to approach films. I love Nolan's Batman movies to death, but not everything has to be a "dark, gritty, realistic" re-imagining. In its case for selling me on the film, the trailer's pitch is essentially "this time we're going to ape Nolan's style so it will be better!"

I'm not going to stand up on the hill and proclaim this to be the worst movie of all time (certainly not after only seeing a trailer), but I do think it's a sign of the times that people will get excited for a movie that is a) not original in subject matter or b) not original in presentation. At this point it's like a mix-n-match in the superhero genre. Ok hm... pick a hero... pick an actor... pick a color scheme... got it! So you want to do make a Superman movie? Great, I love Superman, show me something I've never seen before. Oh you're just doing Superman, Nolan-style? gently caress off.

Well not only that but if you actually read Superman comics some of them are pretty loving dark? The "Nolan-y" Batman movies worked because they were actually faithful to the feel that virtually every Batman comic released in the past ~25 years has. Also let's face it, when was the last time there was a good Superman movie? DECADES ago. I think this movie will probably blow but it has nothing to do with the tone.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

Since we're talking about DC, here's a TV spot that I think qualifies as the worst, most misleading piece of marketing ever for a comic book movie. Its also really, really funny.

Oh my god I never saw this. That was.......yikes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

PaganGoatPants posted:

Pacific Rim trailer later today :neckbeard:

Yup. 90 minutes till it drops on the official site.

http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/trailer

:f5:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess I should applaud Zack Snyder for showing the restraint not to use that stupid bit of choreography that shows up in all of his movies where a character lands in a crouched position, legs spread, preferably in slow-motion, then looks up menacingly at the camera.

I'll eat my hat if Superman doesn't do that in this film though.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 12, 2012

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jewmanji posted:

I guess I should applaud Zack Snyder for showing the restraint not to use that stupid bit of choreography that shows up in all of his movies where a character lands in a crouched position, legs spread, preferably in slow-motion, then looks up menacingly at the camera.

I'll eat my hat if Superman doesn't do that in this film though.

That's the 3-point stance, and yeah I'll agree, that poo poo is overused. Not just in Snyder's films though... pretty much everywhere. You can thank anime for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgOtPXDyKjA

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Benne posted:

Yup. 90 minutes till it drops on the official site.

http://www.pacificrimmovie.net/trailer

:f5:

I'm way too old to be this excited to see a trailer...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Trump posted:

You can never be too old to be excited for Giant Robots controlled by Idris Elba and Ron Perlman fighting giant monsters.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Trump posted:

You may want to go here instead: http://www.panpacificdefense.com/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Man I knew Carnegie Mellon was good at making robots but goddamn :stare:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

poo poo is getting hammered. I can't even refresh right now after the timer hit 00.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Aaannnndddd there goes the site.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

poo poo is getting hammered. I can't even refresh right now after the timer hit 00.

iTunes exploded

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

teagone posted:

Yeah this is getting pounded hard.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

teagone posted:

I just think the page froze when it transitioned. Apple haven't put up the trailer yet, so we have to wait for them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Trump posted:

I just think the page froze when it transitioned. Apple haven't put up the trailer yet, so we have to wait for them.

Ugh... Load this poo poo already! I'm aching here.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hollywood studios still don't how to handle online trailer launches in the Year Of Our Lord 2012.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Benne posted:

Hollywood studios still don't how to handle online trailer launches in the Year Of Our Lord 2012.

To be fair video uploads are hard! :iiam:

I have no idea why companies still use loving Apple Trailers either, what a god awful website.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

PriorMarcus posted:

Worst thing is, some dude probably just need to remove a * somewhere and the page will be available.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
http://www.slashfilm.com/pacific-rim-trailer-giant-robots-beat-down-giant-monsters-under-the-eye-of-guillermo-del-toro/

Click before it gets pulled off Youtube.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vKz7WnU83E

Ughhgh, gently caress yes. :gizz:

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Official WB channel, doubt it'll be pulled.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Having just watched it:

Holy poo poo. HOLY poo poo :stare: :gizz: :aaa: :neckbeard:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Glados? A portal between dimensions? That's a bit more Valve than I expected.

And the trailer is also focused more on the robots than I expected, which I guess could be because they want to keep most of the monster designs secret, but the tagline implies they might play more of a part in the storyline than being merely weapons.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
That looked like it's going to be helluva fun! :aaaaa:

PriorMarcus posted:

Glados? A portal between dimensions? That's a bit more Valve than I expected.

And the trailer is also focused more on the robots than I expected, which I guess could be because they want to keep most of the monster designs secret, but the tagline implies they might play more of a part in the storyline than being merely weapons.

Valve? What? Valve didn't invent neither of those concepts.

What did you expect? I don't get your post I guess.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Trump posted:

That looked like it's going to be helluva fun!

The voice is the same?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy to know Idris Elba is rocking his native accent. And goddamn, that scene when the jaegers are getting dropped into the water. So badass. If all of them combine into a mega gently caress-off jaeger a la voltron, I might lose my poo poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Trump posted:

That looked like it's going to be helluva fun! :aaaaa:

Firstly, I don't mind the similarities at all, I'm 100% behind this film and was simply observing that the voice actress for the AI machine is the same one used for Glados, with (as far as I can tell) the same post-processing effect used on it.

Again, I don't care, it's just that when coupled up with the dimensional portal spewing forth monsters (Half-Life) made me affectionately link it to Valve.

And no, Valve didn't invent the concept of portals or computer A.I's, but it's the EXACT same voice.

Again, I'm just observing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Haha GladOS as the actual AI would be hilarious. But who cares that poo poo looks awesome.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not as cool as the Comic-Con footage (then again, displayed on three giant fuckoff screens in a room of thousands of nerds is the way all trailers should be premiered), but I'm still optimistic.

That said, they're wasting the best tagline anyone would/could ever think up for a Neon Genesis Evangelion movie with this one. I know Pacific Rim has some similarities to it (that rumor that the script's skeleton is an NGE adaptation makes so much sense), but unless the giant robots come alive because they're imbued with the souls of the pilot's dead mothers, they aren't really monsters, just giant walking tanks.

The best part of the trailer was easily that last shot of the kaiju just Godzilla-ing the gently caress out. That's gonna shake some theatres.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yoshifan823 posted:

Godzilla-ing the gently caress out. That's gonna shake some theatres.

I'm glad this is a thing that can accurately describe the trailer. Godzilla-ing the gently caress out is exactly what I want out of this movie.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Couldn't wipe the grin off my face watching that trailer, I really hope that this turns out well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PriorMarcus posted:

Uploads are easy. Three million simultaneous downloads are hard.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I can't believe I'm looking at a $250 million Guillermo del Toro movie. Like, it's so unabashedly him and his team in the color, the blocking, the composition, production design, everything. They let this guy be himself with a quarter of a billion dollars. This is the most exciting thing about it.

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.

teagone posted:

Happy to know Idris Elba is rocking his native accent. And goddamn, that scene when the jaegers are getting dropped into the water. So badass. If all of them combine into a mega gently caress-off jaeger a la voltron, I might lose my poo poo.

I'm getting a feeling they might. If you watch that scene you mention, the top part of the first mech is flat and looks like something connects down onto it, making it an arm or a leg potentially.

Hope there's a cameo by the japanese equivalent of the jaeger program and it's just as Gundamy as you'd imagine. And piloted by kids.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Canadian Surf Club posted:

I'm getting a feeling they might. If you watch that scene you mention, the top part of the first mech is flat and looks like something connects down onto it, making it an arm or a leg potentially.

Hope there's a cameo by the japanese equivalent of the jaeger program and it's just as Gundamy as you'd imagine. And piloted by kids.

I thought they were all going to get their asses kicked except whatever one Idris is in.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
GlaDOS was mentioned, but then there was (almost) also the Narrator from Bastion too!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't know anything about this Pacific Rim movie other than it had Idris Elba and Charlie Day in it. Which I actually just learned a week or so ago. But it looks like a live action anime and that's just about the quickest way to lose my attention. Robots and monsters are just not my thing at all. Oh well, I guess if you're into that it's probably pretty awesome though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The link crapping out is causing a poo poo storm at WB.

But yeah

:aaaaa::megaman::krakken::krakken::megaman::aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Canadian Surf Club posted:

They released pictures of most of the Jaegers a couple weeks ago.

This is the Japanese one.

• Locked thread