Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
You have to be careful, some of the jokes are traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Ror posted:

I hear about his brilliance all the time and would love to give him a shot, but I haven't found any real good starting places. I've seen his bit about Top Gear that people link constantly and he seems witty and acerbic but I guess I don't see any glimmers of the genius people talk about. I'd like to assume he has much tighter material than that though.

Unless he's one of those comedians with wise and clever words but not many actual jokes. I don't need a bunch of pithy one-liners, but I could never enjoy comedians like Bill Hicks for that reason, even while I respect them greatly. I don't really care about brilliance if it's not making me laugh.

I think Stewart Lee is quite an intimidating comedian to get into. He's not particularly accessible and and reflir said some of the jokes are traps, and alot of the time your not sure if he's actually making fun of you.

My first experience with him was on Paramount Comedy with "Stand Up comedian" to be honest I didn't really care for it, I caught it again probably about a year later and loved it.

But no, he doesn't really do "jokes" and when he does most of the time it's in making fun of other stand-ups. The reason I ask what he's thought of in the US is because a lot of his material is a commentary of the state of the British stand up scene.

He actually slams Bill Hicks in Carpet Remnant world, although I'm sure that's one of the "traps". For the record I could never get into Bill Hicks either.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
He doesn't "slam" Bill Hicks. At best he has a little dig at his fans.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Tea Bone posted:

and like reflir said some of the jokes are traps,

That was a joke. In fact, it was Stewart Lee's joke, from Carpet Remnant World.

He's really funny and insightful, but you have to listen to what he's saying. There's a bit in Carpet Remnant World where he tells one part of the audience why the other part of the audience is laughing, and I thought yes, that's exactly why I'm laughing right now, and it made me laugh even harder. If I'd been doing something else with the show on in the background it just would've passed me by. A lot of his jokes are like that. You have to pay attention, and then when you do, it's really good.

Like the Bill Hicks bit. It's not a Bill Hicks bit, it's a bit about the Bill Hicks mythos. Which he lampoons, because it's something that's sprung from not really caring, not really paying attention, just having something to say to fit in, and that's what's worth mocking.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

jyrka posted:

He doesn't "slam" Bill Hicks. At best he has a little dig at his fans.

Yeah sorry I could have phrased that alot better.

reflir posted:

That was a joke. In fact, it was Stewart Lee's joke, from Carpet Remnant World.

I thought it sounded familiar haha. Still though it's a pretty good summarization of his style. When I said that "alot of the time your not sure if he's actually making fun of you." I wasn't so much talking about the bits where he explains jokes to the less "talented" part of the audience, more how he seems to prey on people who take him too seriously. I have friends who pretty much take any digs he makes at other comedians as gospel. Where as I've heard interviews with him where he's said that he thinks Michael McIntyre is one of the best observational comedians around despite the fact he frequently makes fun of him in his shows, it's a similar story to how he often mocks Russell Howard. I'm sure a lot of the time he just says these things about other comics because he knows people are going to take it seriously, and those are the people he's genuinely mocking.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I imagine his loathing for Top Gear is genuine, however. Which is cool, even though I like the show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My favourite part about Stew's routine is that he absolutely knows what works and why it does, probably meaning the show will be very different by the end of the run compared to the first night. He uses his knowledge of how the audience will react to his advantage and manages to spin jokes into insane meta comedy.

Doctor Candiru posted:

At the very least, go to Whiplash at the UCB on Monday nights. If you're in a not-strictly-stand-up mood, check out either ASSSSCAT show on Sundays.

Sadly, the only Sunday I'm in town I'll be at Wrestlemania which is a different kind of comedy in itself, but I'll certainly look up Whiplash. Cheers!

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

At this point Stew could probably say anything on stage and it'd get a huge laugh.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I'm not a fan of those controlled breakdown segments he does, though. Those are just dumb, because the punch line is 'get it' and nothing else instead of a laugh.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Is there a better way to legally watch Carpet Remnant World in the US than importing the Region 2 DVD from Amazon.co.uk?

Now I know how people outside the US feel when trying to buy practically any digital stuff.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
One of the reasons I love Stewart Lee is the books he's released like his autobiography which include his routines verbatim - but with footnotes!!! Reflections on the joke, how the joke evolved, its really interesting stuff.

He also had a DVD commentary on his first series which was sadly missing from the second.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I just watched a few minutes of Kevin Nealon's recent special on Netflix and :stare: I know he wasn't always the funniest dude but now I can best describe his act as coked up dadjokes. What happened?

Al! fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 9, 2012

Pig in the City
Oct 7, 2007

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

Shunkymonky posted:

One of the reasons I love Stewart Lee is the books he's released like his autobiography which include his routines verbatim - but with footnotes!!! Reflections on the joke, how the joke evolved, its really interesting stuff.

This.

The book is incredible and a way of approaching a 'comedy book' that I hadn't seen before.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Darkwing Duck posted:

This.

The book is incredible and a way of approaching a 'comedy book' that I hadn't seen before.

It's funny as hell too, and I wasn't familiar with the UK's alt comedy scene.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Stewart Lee is also amazingly insightful and intelligent. His bit about 'reverse racism gone mad' is 100% cross-culturally applicable to America.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Anybody into Sheng Weng? I've only seen about 30 minutes combined from a few of his sets, but he's consistently hilarious. Hope he gets his own 1-hour special soon.

Also, for those that don't know, Anthony Jeselnik is getting a 1-hour special on CC-- it's airing in January, and will be released on DVD a few days later.

Al! posted:

I just watched a few minutes of Kevin Nealon's recent special on Netflix and :stare: I know he wasn't always the funniest dude but now I can best describe his act as coked up dadjokes. What happened?

I don't ever remember him being good at stand-up. Weekend Update and character acting is where he excelled. A few years ago, I was so excited for one of his specials, and turned it off because of how bad it was (possibly the one you saw).

There's something charming about Jimmy Norton always taking pictures of himself with famous people. He's reasonably famous, but he still gets off on meeting celebrities whose work he enjoys, just like any one of us would. :allears: One thing I could have done without was his story about his threesome with Ron Jeremy.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 12, 2012

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Comedic actors turning to stand-up late in their careers is practically a tradition by now, and they're not getting any better at it. People will pay to see a name they've heard before, even if that person has never been known for stand-up comedy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Maarak posted:

Comedic actors turning to stand-up late in their careers is practically a tradition by now, and they're not getting any better at it. People will pay to see a name they've heard before, even if that person has never been known for stand-up comedy.

I'm not doubting you-- but what are some examples? I think of Bob Saget and Kevin Nealon off hand.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

escape artist posted:

I'm not doubting you-- but what are some examples? I think of Bob Saget and Kevin Nealon off hand.

Bad examples: both of them started out doing stand-up.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

escape artist posted:

Michael Richards and Dave Foley come to mind, although I've heard Foley is getting much better.

ibntumart posted:

Bad examples: both of them started out doing stand-up.

They started off during the comedy boom and found fame in other mediums so I'm not sure that counts.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Maarak posted:

They started off during the comedy boom and found fame in other mediums so I'm not sure that counts.

While I don't care about Nealon one way or the other, I do think Saget gets unfairly picked on, so allow me to :spergin: a bit. You were talking about comedic actors who turned to stand-up later in life, right? Saget may have lucked out and got a sitcom deal, then the America's Funniest Home Videos gigs, but he did put in time as a stand-up and he knows what he's doing. I wouldn't put him on my top ten list, but the routines I've watched have got a few laughs out of me. He is at the least a competent comedian and got that way because he started out doing stand-up. Though I don't know how much touring, if any, he did while hosting either show. (I'd imagine not much as his routines were definitely not family friendly and probably wouldn't go over well with the people who knew him from his shows.)

Nealon I don't know that much about, but I know he did at least some touring as a stand-up even while a regular on SNL. I also remember he used to pop up on A&E's Evening at the Improv every now and then.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Ah, well, thanks for the clarification re: Nealon and Saget. Michael Richards is definitely a prime example.

edit: How about fuckin' Steve-O?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Steve-o's rap career is way funnier than his comedy.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

jyrka posted:

Steve-o's rap career is way funnier than his comedy.

Ironically? Or legitimately?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

escape artist posted:

Ironically? Or legitimately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9ad9L3zw8

It's hysterical.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

That's just his appearance on the Stern Show, and he was obnoxious as always. What's a good song or two to give me a decent sample?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Sorry that's all I know about his rapping.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
TJ Miller and Don Glover are legitimately solid rappers.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

escape artist posted:

You can add Hannibal to that list.

https://soundcloud.com/tony-trimm/hannibal-buress-gibberish-rap

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

escape artist posted:

That's loving hilarious! I've got Glover, but I never would have suspected TJ Miller's big goofy rear end and weird loving voice. It'll take a minute, but I think I could get used to it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Ariza posted:

That's loving hilarious! I've got Glover, but I never would have suspected TJ Miller's big goofy rear end and weird loving voice. It'll take a minute, but I think I could get used to it.

Yeah, he's got an album on Itunes. Doesn't even sound like himself, either, when he raps.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The extended play ep is pretty great. The battle rap part 2 where pete holmes kedps calling him Meryl is hilarious.

Also if you really enjoyed it you can listen to the remix cd and get more traction out of the material

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I got into an argument today with a moron because I named like 12 good stand-up (female) comics, and 6 or so good (female) comedic writers.

He claimed I thought every comic ever was good.

Despite naming at least a half dozen (female) comics that I can't stand.

Utter moron.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

List them all and we'll see who the moron is. :colbert:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Just off the top of my head since I think the post was deleted: Notaro, Silverman, Schumer, (Morgan) Murphy, Peretti, Garafalo, Garfunkel and Oates, (Joan) Rivers, (Kristen) Schaal, Leggero, Bamford... the good ones, of course.

Crappy would be: Wanda Sykes, Ilisa Schlesinger, Whitney Cummings, Sandra Bernhard, Chelsea Handler

I'm not even counting comedic actresses or sketch comics or writers, either. I could add to both lists with them.

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

escape artist posted:

Just off the top of my head since I think the post was deleted: Notaro, Silverman, Schumer, (Morgan) Murphy, Peretti, Garafalo, Garfunkel and Oates, (Joan) Rivers, (Kristen) Schaal, Leggero, Bamford... the good ones, of course.

Crappy would be: Wanda Sykes, Ilisa Schlesinger, Whitney Cummings, Sandra Bernhard, Chelsea Handler

I'm not even counting comedic actresses or sketch comics or writers, either. I could add to both lists with them.

Where would Jackie Kashian fall for you?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

who's your crawdaddy posted:

Where would Jackie Kashian fall for you?

Not familiar with her work, so I can't make a decision, but I've heard good things

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I don't have a problem with Cummings in the same way people here apparently don't have a problem with Ralphie May. Yeah she does a lot hacky material but she's good at what she does. Couldn't pay me to watch Whitney though. Also your "crappy" list is missing Lisa "I hosed a black guy so now I can be as lazily racist as I want" Lampinelli.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sandra Bernhard owns, you fail.

I like Wanda Sykes too.

I got bored with Garfunkel and Oates very quickly.

People should dig Paula Poundstone more.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I loved Laura Kightlinger's stuff on Pulp Comics but I haven't heard hair nor hair of her since.