Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What if, romance plays like normal but on Rank 10 when they go to your room, they find your copy of Witch Detective and the link instantly breaks because they can never look at you in the same light ever again?

Narukami's Shadow-self is a big-rear end copy of Witch Detective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Just finished playthrough #1. A hair under 75 hours.

About the summer epilogue: Kanji and Naoto have uh, undergone some changes. :stare:

Also, Yosuke appears to be evolving into a giraffe.

Taking some time off before playthrough #2, lest I have more dreams about Golden Hands wandering around in my backyard at night.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Larsson posted:

Also, Yosuke appears to be evolving into a giraffe.

He just cut his hair so more of his neck's exposed.

It's a dumb haircut.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Just a heads up, Persona 4 Arena is only $21 at amazon. I'm not in to fighting games, but it seems simple enough and I really want to see more of the P4 story.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

DrManiac posted:

Just a heads up, Persona 4 Arena is only $21 at amazon. I'm not in to fighting games, but it seems simple enough and I really want to see more of the P4 story.

I almost never play fighting games and I'm super terrible at them as a result, but Persona 4 Arena's story mode was almost too easy for me. The game is simple enough to grasp the basic mechanics pretty quickly, and I think they knew JRPG fans would be buying it when they balanced the story mode, because it's hilariously easy.

You shouldn't have any trouble seeing all the story, and as long as you don't actively dislike fighting games you'll probably have fun while you're at it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
For the sake of your sanity, do not attempt Score Attack and Challenge Mode. Just don't.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Turns out I somehow got all the Auto-Ma-kaja skills. I'm thinking of dumping Auto-Matarukaja for Repel Dark on Yoshitsune and just lead with a support Persona with all the buffs. What's the best Persona to put them on?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I almost never play fighting games and I'm super terrible at them as a result, but Persona 4 Arena's story mode was almost too easy for me. The game is simple enough to grasp the basic mechanics pretty quickly, and I think they knew JRPG fans would be buying it when they balanced the story mode, because it's hilariously easy.

Yeah it's really, really easy to get through it spamming the autocombos. It's even easier than Arcade Mode, which (like Arcade Mode in most fighters) you can also beat without even really knowing any mechanics beyond "hit buttons to hurt man" and maybe "hold back to block" sometimes.

But... yeah. Beyond that, it's a pretty technical and complicated game. The fairly small roster and 1v1 nature of gameplay means it's a little easier to pick a dude and get your fundamental bearings than in a game like Marvel VS Capcom, but there are a lot of weird little abilities to learn and remember and most of the people playing against others know them because it's more an enthusiast game than something like Street Fighter (which all kind of rando people still pick up and play).

I bought it for $30 recently myself, and I think the 20-30 typical console game markdown price is about right. The story has a lot of boring redundancies but there are also interesting bits and funny little character moments, especially if you care about the series beyond P4. It's also absolutely gorgeous and has a good soundtrack and was generally quite lovingly made by people who obviously care about Persona and know how to make good fighting games.

And Labrys isn't an amazing character, but I don't find her to be particularly better or worse than Aigis. The "kawaii humanoid robot learning 2 love" bit has always been kinda hokey. I thought Teddie was a much better character.

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 13, 2012

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Turns out I somehow got all the Auto-Ma-kaja skills. I'm thinking of dumping Auto-Matarukaja for Repel Dark on Yoshitsune and just lead with a support Persona with all the buffs. What's the best Persona to put them on?

I went with Sraosha in my first run, because it has one of the higher base speeds in the game and learns Megidolaon and Brave Blade for emergency damage. You just need to give it a resistance to dark to cover its glaring weakness. Another good choice would be Beelzebub, but that's because its resistances and solid overall stats make it good for just about any role you could imagine (I used it as a Debilitater).

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 13, 2012

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aaaagh, the dog by the riverbank! Go visit him when you have a shovel. :3:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

PureRok posted:

Really? When I ordered the DVDs last week (gotta have all my options, or else I'd have gotten Bluray) they were the same price.

I guess it just depends where you get them from then. The store I work for had the BRD as cheaper than the DVDs, though our cost for them was the same.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
How much studying should I be doing for midterms? I've studied almost every night (since hearing about midterms, and a couple nights before when no one is running around outside), but this Saturday before midterms I kind of want to just hop into the TV and tool around. I'm not sure what my Knowledge skill is though.

I'm not looking to do everything EXACTLY RIGHT, but since the first boss it's been all social all the time, so I kind of want to take one day to hop into the TV and see what's going on in there, maybe grind a bit.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stealthed Zombie posted:

How much studying should I be doing for midterms? I've studied almost every night (since hearing about midterms, and a couple nights before when no one is running around outside), but this Saturday before midterms I kind of want to just hop into the TV and tool around. I'm not sure what my Knowledge skill is though.

I'm not looking to do everything EXACTLY RIGHT, but since the first boss it's been all social all the time, so I kind of want to take one day to hop into the TV and see what's going on in there, maybe grind a bit.

You can only get the top score if you have Knowledge maxed out (whether you decide to study at all or not), which isn't likely to happen if you're frantically studying prior to midterms. I generally only do it when I have absolutely nothing else to do (like when it's raining and you get bonus Knowledge points studying in the library) or want to study with my IT friends for bonus S. Link points.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You want to have Knowledge at level 4 for the exams in July. If you do so and get all of the answers right (easy), you'll be #1 and get an awesome item from Nanako. The earlier exams in May? also need level 4 Knowledge, which you will not have in time. By the way, getting high marks gets you money from Dojima, an item from Nanako if you're #1, and Social Link points (not level ups, points). None of these things are absolutely essentially, of course.

E: Don't forget to read! There is a book that doubles the rate your Knowledge increases when you study.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 13, 2012

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose

Strange Quark posted:

You can only get the top score if you have Knowledge maxed out (whether you decide to study at all or not), which isn't likely to happen if you're frantically studying prior to midterms. I generally only do it when I have absolutely nothing else to do (like when it's raining and you get bonus Knowledge points studying in the library) or want to study with my IT friends for bonus S. Link points.

Then it looks like it's time to grind! Granted it is raining today...but gently caress it, I feel the itch to destroy some shadows.

Nate RFB posted:

E: Don't forget to read! There is a book that doubles the rate your Knowledge increases when you study.

Yeah I did the Courage book, I guess I'll get that one next.

Stealthed Zombie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 13, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I try not to go too crazy with Sweep Bonuses. Sometimes you'll get stuck with cards you don't want either from the initial draw or from a Change card and you can't back out if you already picked a card.

I should have heeded your warning!

I totally forgot a Sweep Bonus was in effect (probably because the last fight I was in was a miniboss, so I didn't get a Shuffle Time) after fighting a Golden Hand. Even though "SWEEP BONUS +2" flashes across the screen every time, I somehow didn't notice.

There were exactly 3 cards, and one of them was a half EXP card. I wasted all that wonderful Golden Hand EXP...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

There were exactly 3 cards, and one of them was a half EXP card. I wasted all that wonderful Golden Hand EXP...

I nuked three Opulent Hands once, got Shuffle Time with +2 due to Sweep Bonus.. there were three cards. Lovers, Devil and Tower. No items, no EXP, no money.

I almost cried.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
You can cancel out of shuffle time. You aren't forced to do it, provided you haven't picked any cards yet.

Undead Unicorn
Sep 14, 2010

by Lowtax

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What if, romance plays like normal but on Rank 10 when they go to your room, they find your copy of Witch Detective and the link instantly breaks because they can never look at you in the same light ever again?

I really need to read the himisday comic, because I feel like I missed out on a big joke here since it was just anime twilight in the game but something else in that comic. This is like the twelfth time someone's mentioned that or 'fsteak'.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Undead Unicorn posted:

I really need to read the himisday comic, because I feel like I missed out on a big joke here since it was just anime twilight in the game but something else in that comic. This is like the twelfth time someone's mentioned that or 'fsteak'.

You can also watch it in video form!

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Undead Unicorn posted:

Any idea where I can find the comic? Looks like it was removed or hidden on the photobucket link on her livejournal.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

ihatepants posted:

Any idea where I can find the comic? Looks like it was removed or hidden on the photobucket link on her livejournal.

On the photobucket site, click "Show Albums and Stories" on the left, then "hiimdaisy", then "persona".

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Rasamune posted:

On the photobucket site, click "Show Albums and Stories" on the left, then "hiimdaisy", then "persona".

Oh, thanks! I'm not used to the new layout of photobucket, i guess. That and I'm an idiot.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

ihatepants posted:

Oh, thanks! I'm not used to the new layout of photobucket, i guess. That and I'm an idiot.

Naw don't worry, it's actually pretty poorly-designed

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Should I just be selling items to Daidara as I go along? Do they follow over and I don't need to stack them to get better items? I'm going to be doing the final time skip dungeon and don't know if I should sell all my materials or wait to finish that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hit Sell All Materials anytime you can. You don't need to stack them to get better items or anything. Sometimes you'll sell like two of the same material and not get any items out of it but that's because he needs like five of the same material - it keeps track of those two so you only need to sell him three more.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

Endorph posted:

Hit Sell All Materials anytime you can. You don't need to stack them to get better items or anything. Sometimes you'll sell like two of the same material and not get any items out of it but that's because he needs like five of the same material - it keeps track of those two so you only need to sell him three more.

Not ANYTIME. There are a few materials that are necessary to finish quests, a stupid hurdle I would have thought they'd have cut for Golden.

Make sure all of your quests are cleared before you sell, or else go through the materials item by item for the quest-related ones.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

epenthesis posted:

Not ANYTIME. There are a few materials that are necessary to finish quests, a stupid hurdle I would have thought they'd have cut for Golden.

Make sure all of your quests are cleared before you sell, or else go through the materials item by item for the quest-related ones.

I can't speak for the new quests in Golden, but I'm pretty sure on the PS2 the only quest that involved materials was the one where you have to give the right stuff to Daidara so he'll start selling Hard Boots. All the other quest items are considered consumables.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I can't speak for the new quests in Golden, but I'm pretty sure on the PS2 the only quest that involved materials was the one where you have to give the right stuff to Daidara so he'll start selling Hard Boots. All the other quest items are considered consumables.

The old quests that need materials are still there, like the ones that ask for Fashionable Dishes or Proofs of Passion.

To add insult to injury, they actually added a few of these in Golden. Specifically for stuff from the December dungeon in January.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Strange Quark posted:

The old quests that need materials are still there, like the ones that ask for Fashionable Dishes or Proofs of Passion.

To add insult to injury, they actually added a few of these in Golden. Specifically for stuff from the December dungeon in January.

Ah, I forgot about those quests. I was only thinking of the ones where enemies drop the quest item after you've accepted the quest, since most of the quests work that way.

I wonder why all the quests don't work that way?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
OH. My. Goodness.
The beach scene. I'm STILL laughing about Kanji, omg I can't stop.

Moriveth
Jul 24, 2004

I'm sorry, I have to take this call.
I do find it slightly annoying that I'll think I've finished all the quests in, say, the bathhouse, and then find out WHOOPS NOPE THERE'S LIKE FOUR MORE.

Oh well. A good way to level Kanji up, I guess.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Also, does anyone know the date I should sell all of my things? I just want to get prepped for NG+ with all of the cash and personas I can get my hands on.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Zetta_Slow posted:

Also, does anyone know the date I should sell all of my things? I just want to get prepped for NG+ with all of the cash and personas I can get my hands on.

You can sell all of your things on the final day.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Jeez the difficulty curve for the void dungeon is not fun

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Jeez the difficulty curve for the void dungeon is not fun

Fuse Black Frost, win the dungeon.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I have everything to say about the epilogue added into the finale of the game. I thought this game had a great ending before, but god drat, I think it's my favorite game ending besides Final Fantasy IX now. Atlus... :allears:

Definitely gonna replay the game and snatch up the social links I missed on my first play through, but I'm going to give it time to simmer first. My final total at the end was over a whopping 120 hours. This game and P3 really know how to make me constantly gush. I really need to get back to work on the P4A custom title I gave up on months back.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

The Grimace posted:

I have everything to say about the epilogue added into the finale of the game. I thought this game had a great ending before, but god drat, I think it's my favorite game ending besides Final Fantasy IX now. Atlus... :allears:

Agreed. I had no spoilers going in about it and was kind of blown away. Even though it's a bit short, they nailed everything they should have, and really ends everything on a sweet note. :unsmith: See you again in some other game hopefully, my fake video game friends!

I also finally took a look at the Quiz Show, and it's pretty swell, too. I almost want to just let it run to hear all the things they say when you don't answer. 29! The Meat Number!

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Dezinus posted:

Agreed. I had no spoilers going in about it and was kind of blown away. Even though it's a bit short, they nailed everything they should have, and really ends everything on a sweet note. :unsmith: See you again in some other game hopefully, my fake video game friends!

I also finally took a look at the Quiz Show, and it's pretty swell, too. I almost want to just let it run to hear all the things they say when you don't answer. 29! The Meat Number!

When does the quiz show unlock? I'm in July and I'm starting to get impatient waiting for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Cannot Find Server posted:

Fuse Black Frost, win the dungeon.

It's like I just turned god mode on

• Locked thread