Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

GD_American posted:

That sure seems like a lot of people who forgot The U existed. I love that one.

Oh, no, no. Wildly entertaining episode that gave us so much gold, like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Hello Towel posted:

Just watched the Gretzky one. It was okay, not that great.

The subject matter about how the Oilers were viewed during that time period intrigues on me. Kind of bummed out they didn't touch upon that more.

Edmonton's reaction reminded me a bit of how Cleveland acted when LeBron bailed. Apples to oranges, but there's indeed some similarity at the anger felt by the two fanbases.

The difference being, Wayne didn't seem to be all that hated over the move, and LeBron? Well, yeah, he can go to hell.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Once Brothers was really good too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doctor Butts posted:

Granted, for his baseball career they at least had teammates. Even then, they showed only a few things. A few special hits. Good catches and runs.

Throwing out Harold Reynolds from the wall has always been my favorite Bo highlight. Probably because I was up late as a kid watching it on TV and the game was over, there was no doubt. And then that throw. Of course it would never stand up to the memories of a child but I was sort of disappointed that they didn't make a bigger deal out of it than they did anyway :shobon:

Also they did have Howie Long talking about him on the football side of things. Marcus Allen would have been the ultimate interview about Bo but I'm guessing he's still a little bitter about being basically benched (as an eventual hall of famer) for a part time player. Well asked to play fullback sort of rather than benched, but still sort of a waste of those years of his career.

GD_American posted:

I've been watching football since the early 80s and he was the best athlete I've ever seen in the NFL. Gigantic, fast, quick, and hit like a loving wrecking ball.

Again through the eyes of a kid at the time, but I've always thought he was Adrian Peterson except stronger and way faster.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

jeffersonlives posted:

Once Brothers was really good too.

I refuse to believe that. I didn't like it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd known most of the Bo Jackson lore but I came away even more impressed after seeing it a few days ago. I liked how Bo went into a lot of detail and recounted the stories and meetings like they just happened to him yesterday.

Also, they kept calling him a "shell" when he came back to the White Sox. He still could hit HRs and wasn't terrible. The show made it sound like he struggled a couple of years and then made it back to the MLB for an AB and then retired.

Grittybeard posted:

Throwing out Harold Reynolds from the wall has always been my favorite Bo highlight.

It's funny because Harold Reynolds throws his helmet around incredulously.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bo was pretty bad for the Sox, but I remember that nobody cared because Bo Jackson was playing for their team. As far as I'm aware, there is still a big Bo Jackson poster at the Cell, and he was a part of the awesome pre-game montage as well, and Sox fans are still pretty jazzed that they got to watch Bo play, even if he was kind of crappy.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Grittybeard posted:

Marcus Allen would have been the ultimate interview about Bo but I'm guessing he's still a little bitter about being basically benched (as an eventual hall of famer) for a part time player. Well asked to play fullback sort of rather than benched, but still sort of a waste of those years of his career.

I watched the A Football Life episode on Marcus Allen a couple nights ago and while he does discuss that part of his career, he didn't seem to have anything negative to say about Bo. Al Davis and the Raiders coaches were the ones loving Marcus around.

Also just to reiterate: Bo Jackson loving owns.

David Aames
Jun 21, 2004

Everyone's Favorite Mulatto
is that it for 30 for 30 films for this season?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

David Aames posted:

is that it for 30 for 30 films for this season?

My guess is there probably won't be any new ones until college basketball is over.

kiresays
Aug 14, 2012

My favorite of this series is definitely the best that never was. The U being a close second.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I missed the Bo Jackson doc, so I found a torrent for that and also The U since I never saw that one either. Watching those two within a day of each other was interesting since they both featured a guy continuing to run into the tunnel after a touchdown, Brian Bosworth getting completely owned after talking a lot of poo poo, and at least one appearance of an athlete who played in both the NFL and MLB.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
I just finished watching the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 and I also watched the Barry Sanders documentary as well and I have to ask, how many generational Running Backs came into the NFL from that decade alone? Off the top of my head I can think of Eric Dickerson, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders, Marcus Allen, Barry Sanders, and Emmitt Smith. I wish I was able to watch these guys play in their prime. I was only able to watch the last two years of Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in his twilight years.

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

I thought the best line in all the 30 for 30's was from Ron Meyer in Pony Excess.

"We called it the Trans A&M."

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AfterFather posted:

I just finished watching the Bo Jackson 30 for 30 and I also watched the Barry Sanders documentary as well and I have to ask, how many generational Running Backs came into the NFL from that decade alone? Off the top of my head I can think of Eric Dickerson, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders, Marcus Allen, Barry Sanders, and Emmitt Smith. I wish I was able to watch these guys play in their prime. I was only able to watch the last two years of Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith in his twilight years.

On that note, check out the Barry Sanders and Marcus Allen episodes of A Football Life. Hell, check out any episode of A Football Life.

It's such a terrific show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I just caught Ghosts of Ole Miss. It was solid, but a little preachy for my taste.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I just saw The Two Escobars finally, after seeing maybe 50% of these... Why did I wait so long... maybe thats what made it so much better. drat that's one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

Private matches with Team Colombia vs Dream Team's made up of other drug lords in Pablo's prison, :drat:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Latest 30 for 30 short up, on Muhammad Ali's trip to Iraq to bargain with Saddam Hussein to release U.S. prisoners before Desert Storm began.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8849155/the-latest-offering-new-30-30-documentary-series

It's not bad, but it's one sided with "Look how great this thing Ali did" and only a brief mention what consequences there could have been had things gone sour. Still worth watching.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

A bunch of 30 for 30's went up on Netflix instant watch. A couple of the recent ones too, I saw Broke and Benji listed along with some originals like Straight Outta LA.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Alpha3KV posted:

Brian Bosworth getting completely owned after talking a lot of poo poo

God, Bosworth was such a poo poo. I was young when he played, but gently caress if I can remember anyone who didn't hate his guts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

TUS posted:

A bunch of 30 for 30's went up on Netflix instant watch. A couple of the recent ones too, I saw Broke and Benji listed along with some originals like Straight Outta LA.

Just watched Broke. Had one eye on the TV and one eye on my Mint account the entire time. Please tell me I'm not the only one who did that.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Two more 30 for 30s have been announced for vol. II

First Advance and Survive:

quote:

A look at the 1982-83 NC State Wolfpack men's basketball improbable run through the ACC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament to win the championship.

It airs March 17th, which is also Selection Sunday, which is the start of the NCAA basketball tournament.

The second one is Elway to Marino:

quote:

A look at the six quarterbacks selected in the first round of the 1983 NFL Draft.

Advance and Survive seems really awesome and is perfectly timed for Selection Sunday.

Also, I'm starting to go through all the 30 for 30s, including the ones that are under the ESPN Films Presents banner. I'll be going in order and then writing a reaction to each one on a sports tumblr that I started working on. If all goes according to plan, then I should be done by the summer or at least I hope.

EDIT:

Also, after those two air, another round of films will be announced and will start airing in October.

screenwritersblues fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 21, 2013

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Didn't HBO do a documentary on that NC State team? I feel like I watched a documentary on them already, but I forget where. I'll watch this new one anyway.

Also, I didn't see this posted, but ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 spinoff called Nine for IX, a series of nine documentaries by female directors.

ESPN Media Release posted:

ESPN Films and espnW have announced the film slate for Nine for IX, a documentary series focused on captivating stories of women in sports told through the lens of female filmmakers. Nine for IX film topics include an intimate look at Pat Summitt, college sports’ most successful coach ever, the largely unknown history of Katarina Witt and her link with East Germany’s secret police, and the focus of sex in the marketing of female athletes. The series is scheduled to premiere on July 2 on ESPN and the films will air over consecutive Tuesday evenings at 8pm ET.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I'm really looking forward to those Nine for IX films, especially the one about the '99 US Women's National Soccer Team.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Should be a fantastic set of documentaries. Let Them Wear Towels intrigues me; I assume male athletes will speak on-camera and what they have to say might be interesting.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I'm looking forward to the Sheryl Swoopes one, I've been following the WNBA for quite a while and she was an amazing player in her prime. I'd like to see a proper look at her comeback in '11.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Should be a fantastic set of documentaries. Let Them Wear Towels intrigues me; I assume male athletes will speak on-camera and what they have to say might be interesting.

I always thought locker room interviews were a really peculiar aspect of major sports. I'd be interested to hear about how athletes feel about anyone interviewing them while they're getting dressed, but maybe they're used to it. From the synopsis it doesn't sound like there will be many interviews from athletes, but maybe there will be a few.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm finally getting a chance to catch up with the new batch. I liked the Fab Five documentary quite a bit, although it really suffered without Webber's participation. Broke was pretty boring and obvious and the presence of Curt Schilling and Sean Salisbury were particularly galling. I think it showed that The U's greatness was much more a product of its subject than the filmmaker. I would have preferred Broke if it was called "Andre Rison Talks for 80 Minutes."

The real injustice is that Netflix doesn't have You Don't Know Bo yet. I honestly don't care what the doc is about as long as it has Bo engaging in important Boz-trucking, wall climbing, and Tecmo dominating activities and mentions how he teamed up the Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky to solve crimes after Wish Kid was over.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Finally started watching these in an attempt to not be the worst human being on Earth. The Band That Wouldn't Die was decent enough, but man, The Two Escobars...that's a thing. That's a god damned thing.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Looks like they just put 30 for 30: You Don't Know Bo up on Netflix for those of you were waiting for it like me.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

barkingclam posted:

Didn't HBO do a documentary on that NC State team? I feel like I watched a documentary on them already, but I forget where. I'll watch this new one anyway.

Also, I didn't see this posted, but ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 spinoff called Nine for IX, a series of nine documentaries by female directors.

The Pat Summit doc has a chance to be loving amazing.

I assume most have an idea of her story, but if you don't, she is a cross between Bob Knight and Clint Eastwood.

But they missed the boat by not doing something on Shirley Muldowney/Janet Guthrie/Lyn St James, given ESPN's hard on for Danica Patrick.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Danica! posted:

The Pat Summit doc has a chance to be loving amazing.

I assume most have an idea of her story, but if you don't, she is a cross between Bob Knight and Clint Eastwood.

But they missed the boat by not doing something on Shirley Muldowney/Janet Guthrie/Lyn St James, given ESPN's hard on for Danica Patrick.

Danica is exactly why they aren't doing a doc like that. They enjoy pretending there weren't others before her, especially when several of those others were considerably better drivers.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
They already made Heart Like A Wheel but really we do need another Cha Cha Muldowney movie

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I watched Survive and Advance last night and liked all the details it gave for that 1983 NCST team:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=survive%20and%20advance

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
It was awfully dusty in my living room during a few of those moments.

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

Zogo posted:

I watched Survive and Advance last night and liked all the details it gave for that 1983 NCST team:

http://espn.go.com/30for30/film?page=survive%20and%20advance

It did a good job of breaking down all the games and putting them into context. Even if I knew the ending the storylines for all the individual games were great and its crazy how many close games they pulled out from the ACC championship to the final. I also didn't know that college basketball still didn't have a shot clock in 1983.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bo Jackson one didn't really do anything surprising or interesting, but it was great because Bo Jackson is so ridiculously awesome that there was no need to gussy it up much. The only artistic touch was the presence of some Dark Crystal muppet labeled "Chuck Klosterman" that talked for what seemed like 20 minutes. I'd trade those 20 minutes for an additional 20 minutes of Bo Jackson highlights.

In fact, watching a bunch of these 30 for 30s, I'm consistently mystified why they keep interviewing people who did not know the subject or have any connection to him or her other than watching on television. None of these people adds anything whatsoever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

New 30 for 30 "From Elway to Marino" is on ESPN right now.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

From Elway to Marino was pretty good.

Just caught "Who Killed the USFL?" on ESPN2 (had wanted to catch it on Netflix and forgot). Trump never ceases to amaze me. What a petulant asswipe.

"I think we need to be top dog. I want to be bigger than the NFL, so let's sue them."

"Well, I lost my lawsuit, so screw it all, I'm just going to take my ball and go to my penthouse."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Well, I lost my lawsuit, so screw it all, I'm just going to take my ball and go to my penthouse."

No, they won the lawsuit and got all the dollars they were entitled to.

• Locked thread