Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

The link crapping out is causing a poo poo storm at WB.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for this. I'm assuming it's Apple's problem and they just don't give a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Robert Denby posted:

Since we're talking about DC, here's a TV spot that I think qualifies as the worst, most misleading piece of marketing ever for a comic book movie. Its also really, really funny.

That is unbelievable.

Maarak posted:

That takes the cake, but I'm partial to this Prometheus TV spot that implies Idris Elba's character is the protagonist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Auo4xPT5Tfo

Yeah, I remember seeing a shorter version of this when I was watching BET, before Prometheus came out. I always love stuff like this.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

In all seriousness why do film studios continue to use Apple? I've not had a good experience with that site in years.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Haha just saw people talking about the trailer on Twitter and holy sht that is GlaDOS as the AI hahahaha. Awesome I am so loving pumped for this.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I can't stop grinning and laughing like a madman. The giant robot has GlaDOS as the AI.

Now you're thinking (about) giant robots. .

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
1. There is some serious inception horn
2. I cannot take it seriously with Glados as the AI.
3. Maybe its just because Ive never been a big fan of giant robots.. but .... meh. It just seems like such an illogical way to fight a giant monster.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

BlueBayou posted:

1. There is some serious inception horn
2. I cannot take it seriously with Glados as the AI.
3. Maybe its just because Ive never been a big fan of giant robots.. but .... meh. It just seems like such an illogical way to fight a giant monster.

Everyone complains about the Inception horn. Is it that big of a deal? Also, that horn usage for tension has been around for a few decades if I am remembering correctly.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

BlueBayou posted:

What else can you do? Bust a cap in its rear end? Anime logic says no.

BTW here is another GI Joe trailer (yes it has the Inception horn too): http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/gi-joe-2-retaliation/trailers/g-joe-retaliation-trailer-3-163139765.html

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 13, 2012

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You are my hero, Guillermo Del Toro.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know anything about this other than the shakeycam teaser but holy poo poo that trailer.

So this is basically Anime: The Movie based on that trailer.

Amazing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BlueBayou posted:

Those fighter jets seemed like they were doing jack poo poo and offered up little more than a tickle, and I'm sure dropping nuclear bombs on the monsters would cause too much collateral damage than anyone would like. Enter Jaegers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Asiina posted:

I didn't know anything about this other than the shakeycam teaser but holy poo poo that trailer.

So this is basically Anime: The Movie based on that trailer.

Amazing.

Although if you're embarrassed to see it as anime, I know the giant robots go back a long time in live action Japanese TV shows (Spider-Man if I recall) and obviously Godzilla and King Kong go waaaay back.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

teagone posted:

Those fighter jets seemed like they were doing jack poo poo and offered up little more than a tickle, and I'm sure dropping nuclear bombs on the monsters would cause too much collateral damage than anyone would like. Enter Jaegers.

Im not against robots in general. But I am against giant humanoid robots... seems like balance would be a big issue.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

BlueBayou posted:

You're lucky I'm not a mod. Not liking giant robots would be a bannable offense. :fut:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

DNS posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing a shorter version of this when I was watching BET, before Prometheus came out. I always love stuff like this.
The best, and I really wish this was on YouTube is a radio spot for "Escape From New York" that is focused entirely around Issac Hayes, makes it seem like the Duke of New York is the main character, and uses funk music. I think its on the DVD as an easter egg.

Also "Pacific Rim" looks pretty rad. How come Warner's UK Youtube account got it first?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I already knew Pacific Rim was probably going to be the greatest thing, but it's nice to have video evidence of it.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Robert Denby posted:

Also "Pacific Rim" looks pretty rad. How come Warner's UK Youtube account got it first?

Apple trailers dropped the ball.

Y Signal
Feb 17, 2009

I love you, Tiger Millionaire.
The trailer's definitely got me pumped. I also really do want to see how Charlie Day is in this.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
For what it's worth my friend got to read the script (he went to NCSA with Travis) and said it's hands-down the best script he's ever read. Says that it's going to basically be the second-coming of film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Slackerish posted:

For what it's worth my friend got to read the script (he went to NCSA with Travis) and said it's hands-down the best script he's ever read. Says that it's going to basically be the second-coming of film.

Definitely going to be a lot of coming.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Pacific Rim trailer looks incredible, but drat having Glados be the voice of the computer is going to be so goddamn distracting. She is literally the only human voice you hear through all of Portal 1 and most of Portal 2, my brain can't help but link the two together.

Ah well, giant robots and awesome monster designs, can't complain too much.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lobok posted:

Definitely going to be a lot of coming.

I mean... I already came a few times. And I only saw a couple minutes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BlueBayou posted:

Im not against robots in general. But I am against giant humanoid robots... seems like balance would be a big issue.

There are bi-pedal robots that exist today. I'm sure there's plenty of pseudo-science reasonings that can back up giant, walking robots piloted by two humans.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

teagone posted:

There are bi-pedal robots that exist today. I'm sure there's plenty of pseudo-science reasonings that can back up giant, walking robots piloted by two humans.

Im sure they will explain it in the movie.... Im just skeptical

Really the most distracting thing is the Glados voice...

On the other hand, Stringer Bell dont take no alien guff

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Y Signal posted:

The trailer's definitely got me pumped. I also really do want to see how Charlie Day is in this.

He's actually in one shot in the trailer. Its just him reacting to something though, nothing that actually gives you a feel for what his character is like at all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Nobody tell Stringer Bell about the bullshit promise of cake.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

He's actually in one shot in the trailer. Its just him reacting to something though, nothing that actually gives you a feel for what his character is like at all.

Oh please let him be a Jaeger pilot whose callsign is Wildcard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BlueBayou posted:

Im sure they will explain it in the movie.... Im just skeptical

Really the most distracting thing is the Glados voice...

On the other hand, Stringer Bell dont take no alien guff

The only real issue with bipedal robots is walking, which takes a lot of balance and coordination. With human pilots and haptic feedback it's less of a worry. The real magic of any giant robot is that usually there is more than one pilot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gonz posted:

Oh please let him be a Jaeger pilot whose callsign is Wildcard.

I read somewhere that they've purposely casted him against the type and he'll be a serious super smart scientist.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In both shots he's in he's wearing glasses, so that makes sense.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

The only real issue with bipedal robots is walking, which takes a lot of balance and coordination. With human pilots and haptic feedback it's less of a worry. The real magic of any giant robot is that usually there is more than one pilot.

I thought it was mostly brain stuff? Neural link and all that.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
You giant goddamn nerds. The trailer features an interdimensional portal and you're 'sperging about the realism of giant robots? It's a $200-million tribute to kaiju, the giant robots are non-optional.

Slackerish posted:

I found the trailer to be kinda poor, which usually puts me off films but this (if true (and your friend isn't an idiot)) is encouraging.

e: Just discovered that a sequel script was ordered last week. Doesn't cost much (in studio terms) to commission a script from a minor screenwriter, but nice to know someone at Legendary Pictures thinks it's got a future.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 13, 2012

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Those monsters look so cool. I'm almost expecting the Greek Gods to fly in and throw down against some of them.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Pacific Rim looks… OK. There are giant robots that look kinda neat. There are giant monsters that I can’t really make out. There is a computer that talks like GLADOS and I’m not sure if this is supposed to be some kind of joke. There is a “This is our INDEPENDENCE DAY!” style speech. There is a lot of grey and night scenes and computer carnage. It looks fun but I’m having trouble remembering a single money shot.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
I've been looking forward to Pacific Rim for probably 1+ year, since I will watch whatever Idris Elba is in. Trailer is awesome, even though the monster looks a little goofy. Considering the success of the transformer movies and to a lesser extent Iron Man, seems like robots fighting are the next big thing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

dundun posted:

...even though the monster looks a little goofy...

Remember, this is a love letter to stuff like this.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I went ahead and made a thread for Pacific Rim because I'm the big anime fan and it is only fitting

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522449

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

teagone posted:

I still don't think it's a good plan. They're Jaegers, and they don't have hats.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

High Warlord Zog posted:

It looks fun but I’m having trouble remembering a single money shot.

That's cause the entire trailer is a money shot. But I actually suspect it's just precum for the money shot (THE GOD drat MOVIE).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was confused as to how those monsters seem to wreck everything yet some massive facility was left alone long enough to build a bunch of elaborate 100 ft tall robots.

• Locked thread