Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Are there any free mail apps out there that will handle Exchange account security within the app?

My IT department told me that if I used Touchdown I could access my corporate email without Exchange asking for device admin privileges, but I don't want to pay for an email app. The only reason I even care is because the exchange server disabled face unlock on my phone and Exchange has no option to allow face unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Require More Fire posted:

Is there a way/setting to make Google Voice send/recieve SMS via your carrier #, and not your GV #?

I think the only way you can do this is if you use Sprint, you can integrate Google Voice and your carrier # can become your GV#.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for a weather app that can replace the ancient accuweather web app for the iPhone. Here are some screenshots to give you an idea of what I would like:

I know there are a ton of options, but it looks like most of them are just trying to look pretty over being easy to read and quick to use. From my experience with the iOS app shop, every radar map is smoothed colors on a google map overlay(I really like the county lines to see where stuff is). Looking around at android apps, it seems like it's the same, aside from some of the high end radar apps that look TOO complicated. I also like the calendar view for the 15 day forecast, and the ability to quickly switch between multiple locations.

Any suggestions? Or failing that, is there some agent-user switch trick I could use to let me use apple.accuweather.com over their normal mobile site?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

How necessary is Lookout (or other AV software) on phones? I know years ago it wasn't a big deal, but everyone and their brother are saying it's needed now (including my company IT).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Medullah posted:

How necessary is Lookout (or other AV software) on phones?
It's not. Just don't install stuff with sketchy permissions or use shady third party app markets.

Medullah posted:

I know years ago it wasn't a big deal, but everyone and their brother are saying it's needed now (including my company IT).
If they are they're morons (including your company IT).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

torgo posted:

I'm looking for a weather app that can replace the ancient accuweather web app for the iPhone. Here are some screenshots to give you an idea of what I would like:

I know there are a ton of options, but it looks like most of them are just trying to look pretty over being easy to read and quick to use. From my experience with the iOS app shop, every radar map is smoothed colors on a google map overlay(I really like the county lines to see where stuff is). Looking around at android apps, it seems like it's the same, aside from some of the high end radar apps that look TOO complicated. I also like the calendar view for the 15 day forecast, and the ability to quickly switch between multiple locations.

Any suggestions? Or failing that, is there some agent-user switch trick I could use to let me use apple.accuweather.com over their normal mobile site?
Are you asking for Android? Because this is the Android thread.

Medullah posted:

How necessary is Lookout (or other AV software) on phones? I know years ago it wasn't a big deal, but everyone and their brother are saying it's needed now (including my company IT).
It's not necessary at all, although Lookout has the excellent TheftAware built into it so ignoring the AV part it's worth it for the other part. If you aren't an idiot you won't get malware (although if you're the kind of person who gets malware on your Windows PC then maybe you should go for it).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Are you asking for Android? Because this is the Android thread.
It's not necessary at all, although Lookout has the excellent TheftAware built into it so ignoring the AV part it's worth it for the other part. If you aren't an idiot you won't get malware (although if you're the kind of person who gets malware on your Windows PC then maybe you should go for it).

That's what I figured. Glad nothing has changed...though the theft awareness thing is nice

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
Anyone have a clue on how to get the Tracking Cards to work?

I've got an email from Amazon with a tracking number (and it shows this on the right side) in my email, but neither of my devices are picking it up in Google Now.

I've checked on both, and it's set to scan GMail, as well as the "Tracking" card is turned on.

One is an up to date TF700T, the other an Evo3D (Can't remember what ROM it's on)

The only thing I can imagine might be it is I have a Google Hosted account, with @4-7.us instead of @gmail.com at the end.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uapyro posted:

I've got an email from Amazon with a tracking number (and it shows this on the right side) in my email, but neither of my devices are picking it up in Google Now.

I've checked on both, and it's set to scan GMail, as well as the "Tracking" card is turned on.

One is an up to date TF700T, the other an Evo3D (Can't remember what ROM it's on)

The only thing I can imagine might be it is I have a Google Hosted account, with @4-7.us instead of @gmail.com at the end.
They just worked for me although if you don't have the standard Google account you shouldn't expect the same.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

All this AV talk for Android depresses me. VIPRE Antivirus has been pushing their antivirus app with EVERY Android tablet and phone HSN sells. The hosts constantly push about how you REALLY NEED antivirus on Android so you don't get "badware".

I've stopped upselling the stupid thing and pretend I just don't see them.

quote:

-Mobile Security
-Protects against viruses, spyware, worms, rootkits, bots, Trojans and other malware
-Keeps your Android device safe from hackers, malicious software and data loss
-Uses all-new anti-malware technologies to optimize Android performance
-Not compatible with Apple devices

...since when does Android have rootkits, bots, worms, and trojans? And why is "Trojans" capitalized?

Anyway, is anyone having a problem on 4.1.1 of Settings crashing when you hit "More..." under Wireless & Networking?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

uapyro posted:

Do you have these emails bypassing the Inbox?

Now will only scan the inbox.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

They just worked for me although if you don't have the standard Google account you shouldn't expect the same.

I haven't seen anything about it requiring a @gmail.com address specifically, and the settings in the domain control panel have every option listed. It does at this point seem like it would be the most likely choice; searching online others have the same problem, but don't mention if they are on a hosted account or anything else really.

bull3964 posted:

Do you have these emails bypassing the Inbox?

Now will only scan the inbox.

Nope, they are chilling in the inbox.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Are there any free mail apps out there that will handle Exchange account security within the app?

My IT department told me that if I used Touchdown I could access my corporate email without Exchange asking for device admin privileges, but I don't want to pay for an email app. The only reason I even care is because the exchange server disabled face unlock on my phone and Exchange has no option to allow face unlock.

Touchdown is the only email client I know of that does this. They do have a 30 day fully functional free trial, so you may want to just check it out. I personally think the app is hideous, but it's functional, so I'll deal with it. I don't know how large your organization is, but you may want to check with your management and see if it's something you can expense. That's what I'll be doing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrodesk also sells license keys directly on their website, so you can go that route instead of expensing it if the company is willing to pay for it. That's what I did. I asked them to buy me a license.

If your company won't pay for it, just tell them you aren't going to check email on your own device.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 13, 2012

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

uapyro posted:

Mine aren't working either (GNex and N7, both running CM10), and I have a standard @gmail account. In fact, Google Now barely works at all for me. It pops up my route to work once or twice a day and beyond that sits in stony silence.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Enhanced Email does the job for me. Looks like its $10, but I've seen it as the free amazon app of the day a couple of times. I used it every drat day, and it does what I need!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like facebook will be pushing their (partial) native code app today sometime.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/13/facebook-for-android-2-0-arrives-with-much-faster-load-times/

Edit: The update is now live.

It does seem a bit snappier, but I'm not sure if I see the claimed double performance. It does scroll smoother though at least.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 13, 2012

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bull3964 posted:

It does seem a bit snappier, but I'm not sure if I see the claimed double performance. It does scroll smoother though at least.

If photo opening and permalink navigation aren't half the time, please say more!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interociter posted:

If photo opening and permalink navigation aren't half the time, please say more!

Haven't played with it too much yet. One thing I noticed is that even though it seems to retain the setting "Most recent" the feed isn't always coming up that way.

One comment is I think the app should be more aggressive when pre-cacheing images on the initial update after opening. I have a dual core S4 and a 20mb LTE connection, but I get stuttering if I try to scroll fast down the list. Once I have a huge swath of the feed cached, scrolling is smooth. That seems to be the only real remaining performance hitch I see out of the feed.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Clicking on images to open them is definitely faster and it seems to load posts more quickly too, but the image loading in general seems slower to me. Scrolling also seem jumpy. None of these are a big enough difference to matter to me though.

For the lazy who want to know what is supposedly different:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/facebook-launching-faster-than-ever-native-app-for-android-1119012 posted:

In addition to zippier uploads, quicker comments and lighting-fast liking, Facebook's coders built out an automatically updated story banner to "bubble up" the newest stories without refreshing.

The other most specific improvement is the ability to tap to open a photo "so you can quickly like and comment."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/13/facebook-for-android-2-0-arrives-with-much-faster-load-times/ posted:

A version 2.0 revamp moves partly to native code and is purportedly twice as fast at loading the Timeline and photos, on top of simply being faster to start. The upgrade also lets us quickly flip through photos without having to shift attention away from the news feed.
(not guaranteed to be a complete list)

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

bull3964 posted:

Haven't played with it too much yet. One thing I noticed is that even though it seems to retain the setting "Most recent" the feed isn't always coming up that way.

One comment is I think the app should be more aggressive when pre-cacheing images on the initial update after opening. I have a dual core S4 and a 20mb LTE connection, but I get stuttering if I try to scroll fast down the list. Once I have a huge swath of the feed cached, scrolling is smooth. That seems to be the only real remaining performance hitch I see out of the feed.

Well I am willing to bet that's more Facebook being conscious of limited data plans and not overloading the news feed on each refresh. I imagine many people open the app to quickly check notifications and then close it, which would be hell for data transfer to load 5 hours or more with of updates each time.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Is there a way to have the official Google calendar widget show more than the next three or four entries? Maybe there's a setting I'm missing to scan more than the next two weeks or so? I'm currently using Simple Calendar but I really like the look and feel of the official one so of there's a way to make it work for more appointments (or even be able to scroll like you can with the email widget) that'd be great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AppleCobbler posted:

Well I am willing to bet that's more Facebook being conscious of limited data plans and not overloading the news feed on each refresh. I imagine many people open the app to quickly check notifications and then close it, which would be hell for data transfer to load 5 hours or more with of updates each time.

Thumbnails could be cached to storage though. They are reloading every time you open the app.

Open the app, flick down the stream, you see generic thumbnails for everything and then they reload. As they reload, scroll is jerky. Once you do that though, scrolling is smooth they remain loaded until you refresh again.

The biggest offenders are profile pictures.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

So, before this update, Facebook's HTML5 design meant what?

That they were loading m.facebook.com and just slapping some phone friendly UI over it?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Where does Google Music store the music you pin?

I have been plugging my phone into my computer to transfer / manage my on-device music, but that is so tedious I'd rather just do that through the app via the pin feature.

Also, can you remove on-device music through the app?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Where does Google Music store the music you pin?

I have been plugging my phone into my computer to transfer / manage my on-device music, but that is so tedious I'd rather just do that through the app via the pin feature.

Also, can you remove on-device music through the app?
It stores it in the data for Play Music in an obscured manner. You can unpin it and it goes away.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I recently got rid of my laptop and built a new PC so my CM9 Touchpad has been relegated to counter top duty. I'm looking for a certain kind of app that I'm almost certain has to exist, but I have no idea what it'd be called. A dock app? Apps for wall-mounted tablets? Basically something that's always on and shows gmail notifications or auto updates twitter/RSS feeds in a way that can be read from a few feet away. I've been using the standard Android clock app but I feel like there's got to be something that displays more useful information out there.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
I'm going to cross post this from the tablet thread.

I have a question about the Youtube App/Website.

I live in China and have to use a VPN to watch youtube videos. On the iPad, this was not so bad because you could select your video quality on the youtube website (ex 480p). On Android, you either get high quality or low quality and the low quality seems intended for phones.

Does anyone know of a way to force 480p in either the youtube app, or view the iPad youtube page? I've already tried rooting and forcing the iPad user agent string with Chrome but still get the android version of youtube.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

They really stepped it up with the new FB update. Good on them for that, I hope they continue to make it even better.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting this from the Android gaming thread

HJE-Cobra posted:

:siren:
Whoa dawgs, free Android controller device and download code for Modern Combat 4? All you pay for is shipping? Whaaaat.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/poweramobility/moga-modern-combat-4-secret-santa/391497220932391

Unfortunately their site is (understandably) getting hammered, so good luck actually connecting to get it. But there you go. Haven't seen this mentioned, so figured I'd share, even though it lessens my chances of connecting to get it myself.

There is a universal driver for this on Play.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Thoom posted:

Mine aren't working either (GNex and N7, both running CM10), and I have a standard @gmail account. In fact, Google Now barely works at all for me. It pops up my route to work once or twice a day and beyond that sits in stony silence.

I'm having issues, too. When I first updated to JB on my GS3 I had a package sent and it gave me the tracking card (even though it was shipped UPS Mail Innovations or whatever that new 'pass it to the USPS' thing is, so the card didn't work right) but now I have something with an actual tracking number that I can check using the browser, and nothing.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

Cross posting this from the Android gaming thread

There is a universal driver for this on Play.

Promotion has expired :( It's not 12/14 yet but they've given it the axe I guess.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Smeed posted:

Promotion has expired :( It's not 12/14 yet but they've given it the axe I guess.

The promo was today (12/13), but they've run out of them. They allegedly have something else up their sleeve, and encourage those that missed this to "stay tuned".

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Nerdrock posted:

The promo was today (12/13), but they've run out of them. They allegedly have something else up their sleeve, and encourage those that missed this to "stay tuned".
The "something else" they have up their sleeve is free expedited shipping if you order one. I understand that they don't want to give their entire stock of controllers away for free, but it would've been nice if they specified a quantity they were willing to give away, considering they've "run out" of the stock that was free. It'd give people one less reason to complain, at least.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

The annoying thing is that they didn't send out confirmation emails or even an order history entry after the order apparently completes successfully. So, until they send that, my order is in limbo, I guess.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I can't seem to disable the GPS with the FB app even though I have location services off.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
The Facebook update is great, super smooth and snappy on my Nexus S even.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've had a couple issues with the new Facebook app as well: I tried tapping on a notification, but nothing happened; I also told the APW widget to integrate with Facebook for android, but when I tapped on a post, the app stayed on whatever screen it happened to already be on. Anyone else have these issues?

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

TVarmy posted:

The annoying thing is that they didn't send out confirmation emails or even an order history entry after the order apparently completes successfully. So, until they send that, my order is in limbo, I guess.

I got a confirmation email. But it took hours for it to show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does anybody know how swiftkey flow updates will be handled? Pushed through the app? Notified through the app but download from the browser?

I just had a language pack update pushed through the app itself. Not sure about actual program updates- I rather imagine either they will be notified through app for download elsewhere, sent via email for download through the website, or just non-existent until it actually shows up on Google Play.

I've read some comments here and there to suggest that flow is going to be a free update for swiftkey 3 users- is there anything to suggest that this will actually be the case? Where have people gotten this impression?

• Locked thread