Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Gah, birds. :stare:

I spent a weekend loving dog dick sick (don't know what that means but I'm sticking to it) and didn't get to nuzzle spoiled Wandy the potato like normal. I also live alone and haven't had time to make any new friends (Gatorade/soup bringers) in this area if I get ill.

Wandy now, for the first time in years, has birdy rage. This lingering egg thing can't help. She hasn't laid new ones but she will not completely abandon the old ones. When she climbs on top of the cage, which has been her primary home for a month or two due to carpet ruining pellet stained massive mama dumps, she normally lets me pick her up. Now, she immediately ducks her head. If I get a finger under her, it's time for ENRAGED FAKE BITING!

God, I just want my derp back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Pile of Kittens posted:

How did you teach him to get off his lard rear end? Novolo has a full set of flight feathers and refuses to use them.

I toss him into the air towards things he seems to want to go to: his cage, the playstand we have in the living room, or the couch. I feel like a terrible person, throwing my pets across the room, but it seems to be helping a little. It's really funny how slow he flies though, it seems like he is just hovering and only has forward motion because I toss him.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Pip pip pip posted:

I toss him into the air towards things he seems to want to go to: his cage, the playstand we have in the living room, or the couch. I feel like a terrible person, throwing my pets across the room, but it seems to be helping a little. It's really funny how slow he flies though, it seems like he is just hovering and only has forward motion because I toss him.

I throw Finn and Marceline all the time. Obviously not like a baseball but little wrist flicks. Otherwise they just scream and lean and never go. Momma bird pushing babies out of the nest, that's all! LEARN TO FLY. OR ELSE.

...we have carpets. It's okay. it's soft.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The way we've gotten Zippy to actually flutter is when she's on my finger I put my thumb over her foot, put her high up in the air, and pull downward. She'll start flapping as instinct.

This is what the vet told us to do to exercise her muscles, and it's had the side-effect of her now attempting to fly quite a bunch.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Pip pip pip posted:

We do the same thing with Baby and Cheeky so don't feel bad. It helps them get a little wing exercise while learning how to fly towards a set destination. Knowing how to maneuver in the air has prevented them from crashing into things when they get spooked since they already know safe places to aim for. Baby has recently begun to fly onto his playstand when he feels ready to poop, so we make sure to reward him so he does it more often. As long as you don't for reals throw them I think it is a good idea if you know your bird won't freak out.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Oh my. I think Iroh is a girl, and I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm her birdie boyfriend, and I'm pretty sure she wants to do with me what boyfriends and girlfriends do.

Last night Iroh squatted down low, started doing weird poo poo with (her?) head, tossing it around in patterns, and flicking her wings whilst whining softly. I put Iroh home onto the open top perch, and a few minutes later the action was repeated. Iroh's head tucked under the shoulder and fluffed up, looking back at me shuddering wings and whining.

Pretty sure Iroh's in love.

Most of the time she's normal though. Today I spent 20 minutes rubbing her head because she kept touching her beak to my fingertips, which is what I've gathered is the 'rub my head' signal. If I don't "get it" she nips my nail -- but only my nail, not my skin. I'm going to try and video it so I can GIF it.

Boyfriend wants to change her name now, argh!

:ohdear: I hope she doesn't lay eggs, there can be a lot of problems with that, can't there? I need to get a calcium block for her!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

How old is she?

There can be problems with eggs, so you'll want to provide her with calcium like you said and cut down on as many hormonal triggers as possible to try and prevent her laying in the first place. So at least 12 hours of darkness every day, no petting on wings/back/stomach, no nesty things, and so on.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pip pip pip posted:

When they're first learning all they know is the power hover. They spend a ton of energy blasting air downward just to stay in the air, and don't have much left for forward flight.

With time, and as they get stronger muscles from all that work, they'll start moving fast enough that their wings will actually work. At least, if they have enough space; it takes a bit of forward speed before wings start generating enough lift, but then they become little fighter planes zooming around :keke:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

She's only like 6 months old at most, the guy in the shop said she'd been there for 3 months, and they were young when they got them in. I'd think she was too young for this? But... She's doing the whole 'mate with me' thing, so I don't know!
I am making sure she gets 12 hours of darkness every day, she has no nesty places in her cage, and I only rub her on the head and neck, the chest is only if I need to touch her to get her to step up. Poor thing. Since she was hand-raised, she's all peoplesexual, and I can't help her with this problem. :(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

uglynoodles posted:

She's only like 6 months old at most, the guy in the shop said she'd been there for 3 months, and they were young when they got them in. I'd think she was too young for this? But... She's doing the whole 'mate with me' thing, so I don't know!
I am making sure she gets 12 hours of darkness every day, she has no nesty places in her cage, and I only rub her on the head and neck, the chest is only if I need to touch her to get her to step up. Poor thing. Since she was hand-raised, she's all peoplesexual, and I can't help her with this problem. :(

Don't worry, our Amazon does the same thing with me. Just keep ignoring it, your bird should eventually pick up on that you're not gonna mate with them and at least do it less often.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

When they're first learning all they know is the power hover. They spend a ton of energy blasting air downward just to stay in the air, and don't have much left for forward flight.

With time, and as they get stronger muscles from all that work, they'll start moving fast enough that their wings will actually work. At least, if they have enough space; it takes a bit of forward speed before wings start generating enough lift, but then they become little fighter planes zooming around :keke:

Yeah, Nugget zips around all over the place even when I clip her. Now that I have started letting her flight feathers grow out, I've been treated to some real aerial acrobatics. That bird can do a 180 on a dime; it really amazes me how something so derpy can be so agile. :derptiel: fighter plane image makes me giggle

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

uglynoodles posted:

It may simply be the thrill of being around a new person. Both of our conures showed mating signs off and on in their first few months with us, but after we discouraged that behavior it eventually went away. Both Baby and Cheeky are now at the point where we can rub them any place in their bodies and put them into "yay scratchies" mode instead of "bow-chicka-wow" mode.

Speaking of being able to pet a bird where ever, how are other people's conures about being touched and groomed? Baby amazes me because I can hold him on his back; pet under his chest and wings; rub his feet, wings, and legs; as well as trim his nails, beak, and wings with little to no protest. Cheeky didn't like being touched much the first few months we had her, but now she tolerates a lot of touching around the same places as Baby, with the exception of rubbing her pinfeathers. Apart from that, she will pretty much let me pet her however, with the occasional bitchy little squeal. I'm just curious if such pliability and tolerance is a conure thing, or if the amount of work we've put into having them enjoy our touches that has made the most difference.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Finn and Marceline are pretty laid back about touching. Marci has a big fear of being held around her back though - she doesn't roll over onto her back EVER. But I think that's mostly because at the Petco we bought her at when they were retrieving a bird they went at it with a big thick black glove :( I'm slowly getting her used to having a hand cupped gently on her back and trying to make her okay with that but otherwise she's ok with being touched.

Finn is a potato and lets you flip him over onto his back and touch his tummy, legs, wings, head, back, tail, anything you need. He'll nip, but not to bite just to hold onto something. Or he'll chew his toes :3:

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Finn lets me grab his right foot and shake it slightly up and down while I say "nice to meet you" as he bobs his head.

Soon he will want to shake the hands of all muwahahhHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Pip pip pip posted:

:derptiel: fighter plane image makes me giggle

More like a bomber.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A heat food seeking missile.

Both birds enjoying a temporary truce after each having a shower the other morning.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Hey! You guys want to see a video of Iroh being cute to incredibly fitting music, don't you?
Of course you do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B8oxhW4wvo

I can't believe I only got this weirdo like, four days ago?

For any videophobes I'm working on making a couple gifs. :parrot:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Conures are just the loving cutest when they're getting scritches. :3:

Opera Bitch, Amadeus loooves being petted and handled and adored. I can kiss underneath his wings, pet them when he's stretching, bury my face in his back, flip him upside down and pet his belly, massage his little feet and he is delighted by all of it. I think it's a GCC/BCC thing, every bird site talks about how cuddly they are.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

uglynoodles posted:

Hey! You guys want to see a video of Iroh being cute to incredibly fitting music, don't you?
Of course you do!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B8oxhW4wvo

I can't believe I only got this weirdo like, four days ago?

For any videophobes I'm working on making a couple gifs. :parrot:

You should scratch in the other direction. Parrots like having their feathers ruffled, having his feathers pushed against the grain feels alot better for him than just petting.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Conures are just the loving cutest when they're getting scritches. :3:

Opera Bitch, Amadeus loooves being petted and handled and adored. I can kiss underneath his wings, pet them when he's stretching, bury my face in his back, flip him upside down and pet his belly, massage his little feet and he is delighted by all of it. I think it's a GCC/BCC thing, every bird site talks about how cuddly they are.

Yeah, my... BTC? will let me do all of this, but he bitches about it, and will sometimes nip when he loses patience. He allows most things but only seems to like certain ways of being held and petted, at least by me. He isn't nearly as cuddly as I was led to believe he would be. :colbert:

He also doesn't quack and growl and make the same noises as GCCs/BCCs, from what people post in here. He mostly sounds like Stitch from Lilo and Stitch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
If your bird lays eggs, it may go nuts. Be warned!

(Wandy, of course after I worry post, was back to normal last night. Sigh)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Not only gameboy music, but it sounds like Kirby music? :3:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Not only gameboy music, but it sounds like Kirby music? :3:

It sure is, Floating Islands from Kirby on Dreamland, one of my favourite games to just chill out and blast through.

Re: the rub the other way suggestion, will do!

Boy I hope she stops screaming every time I leave the room to go pee. :ohdear: GIFs tomorrow!

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

Oh man, it's happening! Yellowsided GCC female incoming in the next week or two. Turns out the xmas spirit isn't so bad after all, and I also have an awesome family!

I know conures tend to like to have a nestbox or a happyhut in which they can sleep, but I do not want to encourage nesting/mating behavior in my bird, would a happyhut cause that?

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Fart Puzzle posted:

I know conures tend to like to have a nestbox or a happyhut in which they can sleep, but I do not want to encourage nesting/mating behavior in my bird, would a happyhut cause that?

No nestbox unless you want a nest, bro. Happyhut is out for discussion though... some people say it makes their birds more territorial, but in my experience my bird/the birds of other people I know have no different behavioral changes. Also there were some problems with birds chewing on the edges of the hut and getting tangled and hurting themselves or dying. So... obviously THAT'S something to think about.

I believe there were safer alternatives...? But I don't know what they are :(

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

uglynoodles posted:

Oh my. I think Iroh is a girl, and I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm her birdie boyfriend, and I'm pretty sure she wants to do with me what boyfriends and girlfriends do.

Last night Iroh squatted down low, started doing weird poo poo with (her?) head, tossing it around in patterns, and flicking her wings whilst whining softly. I put Iroh home onto the open top perch, and a few minutes later the action was repeated. Iroh's head tucked under the shoulder and fluffed up, looking back at me shuddering wings and whining.

Pretty sure Iroh's in love.

Welcome to the uncomfortable world of being the object of bird-lust.

Do cockatoos do that heart-wings thing cockatiels do? Because Frankie was totally doing that the other day, while presenting herself to me again.

Dammit bird, you are a bald shrieking monster and I am not having sex with you! STOP ASKING

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fart Puzzle posted:

Oh man, it's happening! Yellowsided GCC female incoming in the next week or two. Turns out the xmas spirit isn't so bad after all, and I also have an awesome family!

Your bird will be fine without a happy hut since they probably haven't had one before, so you're better off not getting them all attached to it in the first place.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

In regards to Happy Huts, there's definitely been changes in Ohtori's behaviour since we started removing his during the day and only giving it back when he's being covered up to sleep. He's less hormonal, doesn't masturbate anymore (and used to do it multiple times a day), seems more accepting of petting and affection, isn't as aggressive to Steve (just sexual, and rather forceful about it). He also gets to sleep much faster now, going almost straight into his hut, whereas he used to throw tantrums and climb around for even hours. He's never been territorial, except over some perches in other rooms, and much less so now.

Like others have said though, they don't need one and it's probably better not to give them one in the first place.

Speaking of, I left the birds covered for a bit longer than usual this morning. When I come into the room I usually say Hello multiple times, to show it's me and stop 'Tori screaming, and they chirp and wark back. Today I heard nothing, uncovered 'Tori's cage, and he was apparently still somehow fast asleep in his hut-he did that all over body/head shake meaning WOAH and didn't run over for petting like he usually does, until he'd composed himself and stretched every part of his body for a few minutes :3:

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
What is the best way to find a respectable breeder for GCC's or Black Caps? In Northern Virginia if that matters.

Edit: Uglynoodles: I just finished reading this thread and I'm glad you were able to find a new bird friend :)

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Oh man, I need a little bit of a birdie break for a few hours so that I can work! Iroh refuses to spend any time with herself or play with toys and will spend all day on the wall of the cage closest to me, staring at me and tapping to come out. Every few hours I let her out for a few minutes, and she has basically all evening out, so she's not lacking for out of cage time.

She's taken to EEPing either because she's bored (she won't do anything other than try to spend time with me) or to get me to pay attention to her. I have been ignoring her screeing, only addressing her when she has been quiet for at least 30 seconds, but this still doesn't stop the screeing which she will start every five minutes and stops me from being able to concentrate and work. I waited until one of her quiet moments and put a blanket on her for a little while. It's quieted her down a little bit but if I put music on or watch a video or anything she EEPS from inside the cage.

I'm at a loss on what to do to help her. I need a few hours during the day to work. Not 100% of my time can be Iroh Time.

I don't mind her making some noise. She is a bird, she will make noise. My budgies babble, ack and zizz all the time, and I don't mind her babbling and quacking and signs for wanting attention being to gently rap on the cage bars as that's very communicative but also gentle. I just can't have her screaming like that for so long.

I can't put her out in the hall or in another room because she will scream for me. I don't want to leave her covered up during the entire time I have to work, that doesn't seem fair. :(

What solutions have you guys come to?

I feel like a bad bird parent!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Have you tried putting on some music or TV for Iroh? My bird loves that stuff and will sing and dance. Maybe that will keep it occupied for a while. Birds are definitely social creatures. There's been plenty of times where I'm trying to do some work and the buzzard climbs all over the keyboard or gets right in front of me so I can't type.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Don't put a blanket on her cage, hiding you from view will make it worse for her, not being able to see you and what you're doing. She needs to learn how to spend time by herself, and that you aren't always going to be paying attention to her, and it takes time. Ohtori screamed like hell if you so much as thought of leaving the room when we got him, it took time for him to learn that we come back and it's okay, and for him to play with his toys and do his own things. You pretty much need to just deal with it for now while she learns that screaming for your attention isn't going to work.

If you need a room without her in it to work, then either you move, or move her. Put some background noise on, tell her "bye bye", leave and close the door behind you. Use "bye bye" when you're going to be away for a while. She will scream, and probably for a long time. You need to ride it out (read up on extinction bursts) and don't open the door until she's been quiet for a while-not thirty seconds or so, at least a few minutes. Both Ohtori and Steve know what it means when we say "bye bye", and still get pissed sometimes, but now they don't even bother to scream half the time, and if they do it isn't for very long because they learned it doesn't work and we'll be back later.

E: May be useful: http://www.rationalparrot.com/screaming.html

http://www.parrotchronicles.com/behavior/parrotscreaming_behavior.htm

http://www.parrotrescuecentre.com/prc_educational_articles_results.cfm?ArticleID=66 (poor layout)

http://goodbirdinc.blogspot.com/2008/05/stop-you-parrot-from-screaming-for.html

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 13, 2012

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Thanks!
I don't need her to not be in the room with me, she can make noise and bird about, I just need her not to scream whilst I'm working.
I hope this settles down soon. I've been saying 'byebye' when I leave the room and expect to be out for more than a minute.

I'll get the hang of this!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It's probably not useful this early in your relationship with Iroh, but in the future she might enjoy having a little wooden playgym that you can set on or near your desk. That way she can perch near you and keep an eye on you (and have tasty wooden perches to shred!), but you don't have a tiny demon clambering all over while you try to work.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Can someone tell me if my budgie is having night terrors? I now have a large cage full of four budgies who are each awesome in their own way, but if their is an Overlord amongst them it is my female called Birdy. She is already a pretty anxious bird (but will allow petting and being held and will go up and give kisses, she is pretty well hand-trained), in the early hours of the morning she often freaks out, anywhere from 4am to 8am if it's still dark, she will start screaming and flying into the sides of her cage in a panic until someone comes and opens the cage and calms her down. If the cage door is open she will fly out onto the floor and zoom around the room peeping until someone picks her up.

I thought she had gotten over this since having more budgies around but she did it again this morning around 6 or 7 am and wouldn't stop screaming and smashing into everything (and everyone) in her cage. The cage is now too big for me to just get her so I had to open it and let her fly out onto the floor and go on my hand. I tried to calm her down by talking quietly and uncovering the cage but it didn't work. It wasn't as bad when it was just her because she would be quickly calmed down but now she is terrifying all the other birds too.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Sounds like it-could you provide them with a little light, maybe, to help?

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/nightfrights.php

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Amaya posted:

No nestbox unless you want a nest, bro. Happyhut is out for discussion though... some people say it makes their birds more territorial, but in my experience my bird/the birds of other people I know have no different behavioral changes. Also there were some problems with birds chewing on the edges of the hut and getting tangled and hurting themselves or dying. So... obviously THAT'S something to think about.

I believe there were safer alternatives...? But I don't know what they are :(

We have a "Birdy Bed" for Ozzy. Similar idea. It's a stiff tube that is line with felt so there isn't as much of a strangling hazard, I think. This is the only place I know of that sells them:
http://www.djfeathers.com/shop/sleeping-huts-5/birdy-beds-93/?zenid=408820a4cf4a564ebf2caffb02de4ef3

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

uglynoodles posted:

I hope this settles down soon. I've been saying 'byebye' when I leave the room and expect to be out for more than a minute.

You can also try calling back to her (a "contact" call, birds use them in the wild to know where everyone is) to let her know you haven't been eaten by a grue. Beyond that, keep ignoring her if she has fresh food, water, and things to do.

GCCs are drama queens, man.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Official Bizness posted:

You can also try calling back to her (a "contact" call, birds use them in the wild to know where everyone is) to let her know you haven't been eaten by a grue. Beyond that, keep ignoring her if she has fresh food, water, and things to do.

GCCs are drama queens, man.

When I leave the room for a few minutes, I say "I'll be right back" to Novolo so she doesn't scream. If I'm leaving for more than that, I say "Bye bye!" My contact call for her, however, is "SHUT UP."

Even better: she makes this three-part call when she's bitching at us for being up too late, and I've decided to interpret it as "YOU shut up", which I will merrily repeat back to her for as long as she wants to keep saying it.

Oh well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

We're thinking about clipping Ritz's wings, and would like some input.

Since he's been flighted, he's gotten kinda bad (behavior wise) he likes to fly over, act all nice, then bite then fly away. Also, the pooping on the chair thing, ughh. He's also become very reluctant to step up. When he's on his cage or somewhere that he knows he's going to get put back, he'll just pin and bob his head, then bite and refuse to step up unless he gets a click and a treat in the process. As soon as the clicker comes out, best bird. When the clicker isn't around, worst bird.

Do you guys think that clipping him will help with these behavioral issues? We don't want to because it's nice to just let him go to and from his cage, but when the inbetween consists of biting and refusing to step up, it's very tempting.

What do ya'll think?

He's still really bitey, not in fear or anger (he could just fly away), it just seems that he enjoys doing it. We've tried putting him on the floor, tried telling him no, tried putting him in the cage as soon as he bites, tried everything, and he still does it. I look like edward meth-user hands at this point with all my little cuts and scars :(

On the other hand, he goes to bed as soon as it's time, doesn't scream for the most part (only when we get home) but in the mornings and evenings he's super quiet. I guess it's better to have a biting sun conure than a screaming sun conure in some ways.. :unsmith:

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 14, 2012