Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
But do they slather their leads in make-up to keep them looking young? Or just the regular amount for television?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Watching the latest QI, noticed something interesting -- Brian Cox comes last place with -7 .....but not a single klaxon went off for anyone the whole 43 minutes. Every single klaxon segment was cut out that episode.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

onoflalks posted:

I was trying to an assignment, and it completely sucked me in. It was great, but drat, :argh: screw you Masterchef!

I was annoyed because it seemed to involve very little cooking. Maybe it was the way they ddi the edit but it seemed like they just spent time dishing up pre-prepped food.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Mr. Squishy posted:

But do they slather their leads in make-up to keep them looking young? Or just the regular amount for television?

They avoid filming Jez from behind.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

piratepilates posted:

Watching the latest QI, noticed something interesting -- Brian Cox comes last place with -7 .....but not a single klaxon went off for anyone the whole 43 minutes. Every single klaxon segment was cut out that episode.

They film a lot more and cut it up and only show a fraction of the show. Possibly in the XL version there will be questions Brian Cox answers with klaxons.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Kraxis posted:

They film a lot more and cut it up and only show a fraction of the show. Possibly in the XL version there will be questions Brian Cox answers with klaxons.

Think the bloke was talking about the XL version seeing as he said the show lasted 43 minutes.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Rondette posted:

Out of interest, does anyone know how old they're supposed to be now? It's 10 years since Peep Show started, does the Peep Show 'universe' follow this sort of time? Because Webb is 40 now and Mitchell 38. I'm not sure if Peep Show time runs differently from ours (especially with gaps in filming and all that)

I wonder because somebody on another forum mentioned that they had loads of make-up on to make them look younger and it distracted them. I would guess they are supposed to be 35ish in Peep Show?

There was an episode where Mark had a birthday party in Series 5, but I'm not sure if it said what age he was to be. Anyone remember?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
That Masterchef final :stare:

I think Anton pushed boundaries so much more than Keri but a joint champions decision was fair enough. gutted for Oli but he's so young and will only get better - I think Michel wanted to hire him!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mickolution posted:

There was an episode where Mark had a birthday party in Series 5, but I'm not sure if it said what age he was to be. Anyone remember?

I think it was wise enough to avoid mentioning.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Please tell me im not the only one watching this adult baby documentary on channel 4

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Faithless posted:

Please tell me im not the only one watching this adult baby documentary on channel 4

I stopped watching Channel 4 documentaries after being scarred for life by the dudes that gently caress cars.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

Think the bloke was talking about the XL version seeing as he said the show lasted 43 minutes.

The actual filming is like 2 hours apparently. I'd love to see a totally uncut one sometime.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006

Flatscan posted:

I stopped watching Channel 4 documentaries after being scarred for life by the dudes that gently caress cars.

BUT THAT MAN HAD SEX WITH NIGHTHAWK

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Watch that bad rear end documentary on iPlayer about Iron Maiden packing their poo poo onto a converted aeroplane and flying around the world doing some tours.

It really is awesome.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm watching the documentary about Islamic art in the Dark Ages and even though the presenter is a very passionate guy who manages to convey the beauty in the architectural and art he is talking about, I can't get over the fact that he looks like Nick Frost.

Also the documentary about British wrestling was brilliant too.

(Yes I've been stuck on BBC4 all night)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

As a wrestling fanboy, I enjoyed the gently caress out of the BBC4 documentary on British wrestling.

Plus Christopher Eccleston has one of those voices that I could listen to for days.

EA-SY EA-SY EA-SY

Faithless posted:

I like me a good freakshow.

TO 4OD!

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 13, 2012

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm watching the documentary about Islamic art in the Dark Ages and even though the presenter is a very passionate guy who manages to convey the beauty in the architectural and art he is talking about, I can't get over the fact that he looks like Nick Frost.

God-drat, I love Waldemar Januszczak, not just because he loves the subject and makes it sound amazing but he reminds me of my Granddad. And for that I'll be eternally grateful.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

SeanBeansShako posted:

Watch that bad rear end documentary on iPlayer about Iron Maiden packing their poo poo onto a converted aeroplane and flying around the world doing some tours.

It really is awesome.

we saw the iron maiden plane at Iceland airport last year! And yeah that doc was ace, especially seeing Bruce Dickinson in a reflective safety tabard.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Spalec posted:

The actual filming is like 2 hours apparently. I'd love to see a totally uncut one sometime.

I'd like to see it just to see how many completely awkward and flat bits there are in the show. Surely there are some, but because all that sort of stuff gets cut from every panel show I've never seen how people react to it.

quote:

we saw the iron maiden plane at Iceland airport last year!
I saw them in Manchester when they were on the Final Frontier tour with the plane and it was interesting to hear Bruce talk about having concerts in places they've never been able to before, like Java and various places in South America.
Of course he didn't explain what the problem was getting their WITHOUT your own plane, but it was still cool to hear where they'd been.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

piratepilates posted:

Apart from what the others mentioned, I've been noticing that they cut out a lot of the klaxons this series as well. The same thing you said happened with the very first J episode - not a single klaxon. The whole thing is just edited very, very differently than it was a couple of years ago. That's not re<lly a complaint, a lot of these changes are keeping the show fresh. But the scoring system was always barely comprehensible, and without the klaxons it's even harder to follow.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It's such a weird complaint though. I've never once even thought to keep track of who gets points in QI, it's not in any way a real part of the show.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Did we ever find out who it is on QI that gets the answers beforehand?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

thehustler posted:

I've always wondered this, but my guess is Jimmy Carr. He's regular enough that you could see it pissing Stephen Fry off, and he exudes that feeling of always wanting to drop his own jokes (which feel pre-prepared) over naturally flowing from whatever else is going on.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Carr obviously has some stuff pre-prepared for him - like when they had whiteboards that they had to spell stuff on and coincidentally he could spell out a joke from whatever DVD he had out then.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

EddieDean posted:

I've always wondered this, but my guess is Jimmy Carr. He's regular enough that you could see it pissing Stephen Fry off, and he exudes that feeling of always wanting to drop his own jokes (which feel pre-prepared) over naturally flowing from whatever else is going on.

Carrs like a human joke machine though, he has done spots at his live shows where he gets people to shout out a random subject and he comes out with a joke about it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Faithless posted:

Having watched the documentary ages back about the women who married buildings, I just looked this one up as they're my kind of guilty pleasures -- I started out at :stare: and then at the establishing shot of Portsmouth, a smidge up the road from where I'm sat, moved on to :stonk:

I can't look away! It'll be an interesting visit down to Gunwharf Quays next, though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I can't remember who mentioned it, but the next episode of QI I saw that had John Sessions on, he was amazingly boring.

I do miss the klaxons when they're not on. They're definitely one of my favourite bits. But the only thing I really care about with the scores is how Alan Davies does. Or if someone hits some ridiculous minus number.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The only times I'm really interested in the score is when the audience manages to somehow win. Fry getting 52! a few weeks back was kinda funny too, though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

thehustler posted:

My money's on John Sessions or Rory Mcgrath

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Junkenstein posted:

My money's on John Sessions or Rory Mcgrath

I always thought it was basically confirmed to be McGrath wasn't it? John Sessions just seems to know a lot of random stuff and seems like the kind of person to know a lot of the stuff he answers, Rory McGrath whenever he's on just seems to know every answer to every random tidbit that comes out.

Also he's boring and a bit of a dick, can't quite stand him.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Ms Boods posted:

Having watched the documentary ages back about the women who married buildings, I just looked this one up as they're my kind of guilty pleasures -- I started out at :stare: and then at the establishing shot of Portsmouth, a smidge up the road from where I'm sat, moved on to :stonk:

I can't look away! It'll be an interesting visit down to Gunwharf Quays next, though.

as I've only just moved to this fair city, the description of this programme make me never want to leave my flat again

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

piratepilates posted:

I always thought it was basically confirmed to be McGrath wasn't it? John Sessions just seems to know a lot of random stuff and seems like the kind of person to know a lot of the stuff he answers, Rory McGrath whenever he's on just seems to know every answer to every random tidbit that comes out.

Also he's boring and a bit of a dick, can't quite stand him.

Rory isn't a regular though is he? In the interview Stephen said it was a regular who always sees the answers. He should have given a joke name and said Alan.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Crankit posted:

Rory isn't a regular though is he? In the interview Stephen said it was a regular who always sees the answers. He should have given a joke name and said Alan.

Well he showed up on two episodes, I can't really think of anyone else who is a regular AND always seems to have something relevant to the material. Most of the regulars on the show just seem to be as clueless as the audience or just know one or two things related to the topic, none of that has ever seemed fishy to me.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

piratepilates posted:

Well he showed up on two episodes, I can't really think of anyone else who is a regular AND always seems to have something relevant to the material. Most of the regulars on the show just seem to be as clueless as the audience or just know one or two things related to the topic, none of that has ever seemed fishy to me.

Maybe it's a regular who's just a bit underconfident about their knowledge and just uses it to answer one or two questions if they feel like they're looking silly?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Jonnty posted:

Maybe it's a regular who's just a bit underconfident about their knowledge and just uses it to answer one or two questions if they feel like they're looking silly?

Well it could be but that would be rather uninteresting and understandable, I prefer to believe that Rory McGrath is a cheating rear end in a top hat.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

as I've only just moved to this fair city, the description of this programme make me never want to leave my flat again

Two Pompey goons, weird. But yeah, it was a bit odd to see your hometown pop up on an adult baby documentary, of all things. At least now Boris Johnson has something to add to his list of "drugs, obesity, underachievement and Labour MPs"

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

According to peep show wiki mark is 39 but I doubt it actually matters.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Stop the clock! Dear old Kenneth Kendall, one of the three stars of that excellent show Treasure Hunt (the other two being Anneka Rice and Anneka Rice's jumpsuited bottom) has died at 88. Apparently he was quite famous for other things as well, which was news to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20730869

quote:

Former BBC newsreader Kenneth Kendall has died at the age of 88.

The one-time presenter of the popular UK game show Treasure Hunt suffered a stroke a few weeks ago and died peacefully, his agent confirmed.

He joined the BBC as a radio announcer, later moving to TV where he became the first newsreader to appear in vision.

He also featured in the Doctor Who serial The War Machines and had a cameo role as a newsreader in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The first newsreader to appear in vision on BBC television in 1955, Kendall also worked occasionally for ITN in the 1960s.

He was voted the most popular newscaster by Daily Mirror readers in 1979.

Recognised for his elegant sense of style, he received an award for best-dressed newsreader by Style International.

Wincey Willis, a former weather presenter and current BBC radio presenter, paid tribute to Kendall on Twitter.

She said: "[He] was a lovely man, very kind to me when I started Treasure Hunt. We were good friends. He was very funny and we both loved dogs RIP."

Born in India, Kendall became the face of the BBC Nine O'Clock News by 1975.

He left the corporation in 1981, later joining Channel 4's Treasure Hunt, a gameshow which saw him direct Anneka Rice around the country in a helicopter to search for clues.

Speaking to the BBC, Rice said Kendall was a "truly great broadcaster".

"It was extraordinary when Kenneth joined Treasure Hunt because he was this very respected urbane newsreader, very serious, and I think it was genius casting. It allowed him to show a completely different side to his personality.

"He's going to be remembered for [playing] an important part of television history," she added, "starting in radio and television, the first in vision newsreader and finishing up on a reality TV show, probably the first of its kind. Again another iconic television moment.

"I'm very pleased he's got that recognition because he was an extraordinary person, very clever."

Rice met up with Kendall in more recent years as they lived in the same town, Cowes, on the Isle of Wight and shared a love of art.

"My one sadness is that we did talk, jokingly - obviously - that we would get together for one final Treasure Hunt, and sadly he's missed that moment," Added Rice.

Kendall returned to the BBC in 2010 to appear in a show called The Young Ones which featured six celebrities examining the problems of ageing.

He retired to Cowes on the Isle of Wight where he ran an art gallery with his longtime partner Mark Fear.

Acting BBC director-general Tim Davie said: "As the first British newsreader ever to appear on our TV screens in 1955, the passing of Kenneth Kendall is a sad moment in broadcasting history.

"Kenneth will be remembered for his long and successful career in both radio and later TV and, of course, for his much remarked- upon elegant sense of style.

"As one of the broadcasting greats, he will be hugely missed by colleagues across the BBC."

When our house first got cable I grew up on Challenge TV's midnight repeats of Treasure Hunt, another great Jacques Antoine concept that I'd call "overdue for a revival" if it hadn't been tried and failed a few years ago. It really did seem as though anything could happen at any moment in the middle of any particular episode (watch the first 15 minutes of this one for a great example of humdrum goings-on suddenly turning exceptionally awesome out of absolutely nowhere), and the guy in charge did a great job keeping it all together, endlessly reminding the contestants "now, speak up so Anneka can hear you!" and prompting them when they were hopelessly wrong about something.

Possibly not a great man, but certainly a good one. :britain:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

VogeGandire posted:

As a wrestling fanboy, I enjoyed the gently caress out of the BBC4 documentary on British wrestling.

Plus Christopher Eccleston has one of those voices that I could listen to for days.

EA-SY EA-SY EA-SY

I like me a good freakshow.

TO 4OD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9al-mpqXjc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

Stop the clock! Dear old Kenneth Kendall, one of the three stars of that excellent show Treasure Hunt (the other two being Anneka Rice and Anneka Rice's jumpsuited bottom) has died at 88. Apparently he was quite famous for other things as well, which was news to me.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20730869

When our house first got cable I grew up on Challenge TV's midnight repeats of Treasure Hunt, another great Jacques Antoine concept that I'd call "overdue for a revival" if it hadn't been tried and failed a few years ago. It really did seem as though anything could happen at any moment in the middle of any particular episode (watch the first 15 minutes of this one for a great example of humdrum goings-on suddenly turning exceptionally awesome out of absolutely nowhere), and the guy in charge did a great job keeping it all together, endlessly reminding the contestants "now, speak up so Anneka can hear you!" and prompting them when they were hopelessly wrong about something.

Possibly not a great man, but certainly a good one. :britain:

Take note, anyone whose going to be in the audience of Richard Herring's podcast.