Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

City is the best thing Strapping Young Lad ever released and Ocean Machine: Biomech is the best thing Devin has ever released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

If you're truly interested in Barge to Hell and their ilk, there's a report here: http://www.metalinjection.net/tv/view/10535/barge-to-hell-2012-the-metal-injection-report

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Two new ones kicking my arse lately:

Vomitor - The Escalation
Hellbringer - Dominion of Darkness

The latter especially. Just a tonne of well written, catchy, evil sounding thrash tracks that give me a strong Show No Mercy-ish vibe. Having previously released probably one of my most listened to EP's of recent times it did not disappoint at all.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Minto Took posted:

City is the best thing Strapping Young Lad ever released and Ocean Machine: Biomech is the best thing Devin has ever released.

I have a hard time picking a favorite SYL album because they keep* on evolving. Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing doesn't sound like City doesn't sound like SYL or The New Black but all of them are awesome depending on what I'm in the mood for. Alien never grew on me like the others, though :iiam:. I'm glad I got to see that crazy fucker live a few times through the years.

*the skullet will ride again

Mostly though I just came down here from TCC because I haven't been to a show forever and I'm gonna spend doomsday all covered in sweat and gwar juice :rock:

I'm pretty excited, actually the last time I saw Gwar they were sharing the stage with SYL now that I think of it :frogbon:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 12, 2012

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

rxcowboy posted:

I've been on a thrash kick, listening to Toxic Holocaust, Warbringer, Vader, and Havoc lately. What are some other good new thrash bands to check out?

You might like Nekromantheon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7mqWIx79jE

Reminds me a lot of Slayer circa Hell Awaits.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

rxcowboy posted:

First up: Goatwhore's "Blood for the Master."

You really should have gone with either of their first two records. I love Goatwhore (As in, one of my favorite moments in live music was Ben Falgoust noticing I was screaming along and he fistbumped me from the stage) and I didn't care for that record very much.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

KingKapalone posted:

I'm going to see Gojira next month and Devin Townsend is opening. Where do I begin with this crazy man? Listening to Epicloud right now. I hear he can be like Frank Zappa who I like a lot. Do I even bother with Strapping Young Lad? I imagine he'd only play songs from DTP.

Get these albums:

Addicted!
Deconstruction (tough to get into because it's so crazy but with some awesome stuff)
Alien (first SYL album I heard, and my favourite)
Ziltoid
Ki (pretty chill but good)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

henpod posted:

Get these albums:

Addicted!
Deconstruction (tough to get into because it's so crazy but with some awesome stuff)
Alien (first SYL album I heard, and my favourite)
Ziltoid
Ki (pretty chill but good)

Ignore this, get Addicted!, Epicloud, City, Alien, Ocean Machine and Synchestra which all own bones.

(What I'm trying to say is you can barely go wrong.)

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Amon Amarth has no dates scheduled until June. I smell an album. :awesome:

Also, forgot how wicked Sepultura's Beneath The Remains album is.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

KingKapalone posted:

Do I even bother with Strapping Young Lad?
Yes.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Amon Amarth has no dates scheduled until June. I smell an album. :awesome:

Also, forgot how wicked Sepultura's Beneath The Remains album is.

Wait wasn't, no, wow, Surtur Rising was 2011, yeah you're probably right.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Wonder why it should take them so long to record and release the exact same CD as the last six or so albums.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The last week or so of this thread has been pure deja vu.

Blind Guardian chat-> Iced Earth chat including obligatory "Barlow sucks" posts -> Amon Amarth including obligatory "every album sounds the same" discussion.

Truly an endless cycle.

Edit: Unrelated, but anybody know if Allegaeon is still on the Job For a Cowboy/Cephalic Carnage show in Brooklyn this Friday? They're no longer listed on the Knitting Factory's website or Facebook event page.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 12, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Listening to all the DTP albums. I like very much.

Don't know why I haven't listened before. I think I listened to "Oh My loving God" too early before I liked more extreme metal and I remember seeing some really strange music video of him on some cosmic train or something and it must have turned me off.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."

KingKapalone posted:

I remember seeing some really strange music video of him on some cosmic train or something and it must have turned me off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk

Juular being mentioned in this thread some time ago is what got me into Devin in the first place. As such I never really understood why everyone says Deconstruction is so hard to get into.

But yeah, as everyone's been saying (including yourself!) you really can't go wrong with this guy.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Johnny Cage posted:

I think Iced Earth's first 4 albums are good (especially Burnt Offerings) but Something Wicked and beyond is pretty blah.

The first one has good riffs but hilariously bad vocals.

Do yourself a favor and listen through Manilla Road's discography from start to finish. It starts with the prehistoric ancestor of Iced Earth gallop riffs, then it gets to epic, fantastic tales, and you're still in 1983 at that point.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Posted from Joel Grind's blog today...

Joel Grind "The YELLOWGOAT Sessions" to be released Tuesday January 15, 2013 digitally with a 12" LP to follow in late February or early March.

YELLOWGOAT

Recorded as sort of a return to form of the demo era of Toxic Holocaust (Critical Mass in particular). Raw, stripped down, reverbed and distorted to hell.

I decided to not call this a Toxic Holocaust record for a few reasons. The main one being Toxic has sort of morphed from being a solo project to now being a full band. That's not saying you wont see other "solo" Toxic material, but for right now it's definitely a solid band. Also, this record is definitely less Thrash and more dirty Rock n Roll and finally I didn't want to just slap the Toxic name on it to sell it. I recorded this because I was anxious to record something like this again with out over thinking it.

Recorded in two days in a rehearsal room.
All instruments by Joel Grind.

01 Ascension (Intro)
02 Hell's Master of Hell
03 Vengeance Spell
04 Foul Spirit Within
05 Cross Damnation
06 Grave Encounters
07 Black Order
08 The Eternal One
09 Hail to Cruelty
10 Descension (Outro)

Hell yeah!!!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Who would you guys say come closest to aping Death's style while still doing their own thing, or at least without sounding like a tryhard clone?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

muike posted:

Who would you guys say come closest to aping Death's style while still doing their own thing, or at least without sounding like a tryhard clone?

Which era of Death are you looking for?

To put a somewhat crude point on it, early Death mimics Possessed and mid-later Death mimics Coroner.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MrBling posted:

Which era of Death are you looking for?

To put a somewhat crude point on it, early Death mimics Possessed and mid-later Death mimics Coroner.

True enough, I guess I'm looking for something a little more Coroner.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
You might try Vektor, maybe. I always thought they sounded a lot like a Sound of Perseverance cover band (I don't mean that in a bad way), if that's not later era Death than you wanted. Other people will probably have better recommendations, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VwWTUn7BQ

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Illogicist is a bit of a Death clone. they are solid, later style Death

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

They're not new, but if you've never heard Coroner you really need to get on that immediately.

I might have listened to the wrong album, but I made my way through Grin and hated it. It sounded like the a B-side to a bad KMFDM album. Is there another album I should listen to first??

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

rxcowboy posted:

I might have listened to the wrong album, but I made my way through Grin and hated it. It sounded like the a B-side to a bad KMFDM album. Is there another album I should listen to first??

R.I.P. and/or No More Color. Grin is from that horrible period in the mid-90's when every thrash band was trying to reinvent their sound.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 14, 2012

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

rxcowboy posted:

Yeah I should have mentioned that their last two albums arent really thrash and more prog and experimental. My bad.

muike posted:

Obscura. Their song Incarnated could basically be put on Sounds of Perseverance or Symbolic and you wouldn't know the difference.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Dyscrasia posted:

Illogicist is a bit of a Death clone. they are solid, later style Death

Illogicist is great! Maybe also Decrepit Birth? They cover Crystal Mountain at their live shows now. It's a little worshippy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bloodmobile posted:

R.I.P. and/or No More Color. Grin is from that horrible period in the mid-90's when every thrash band was trying to reinvent their sound.

No way groove-era Coroner was next level; Mental Vortex is my favorite. I dare you to not mosh your balls off to chorus riff in Son of Lilith. I agree a lot of thrash bands lost their way trying to adapt to the 90s, but Coroner was one of the rare ones who did it right.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 14, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

muike posted:

I have never gotten around to listening to Death so I can't tell if it's true, but I've heard people say that Crystalic sound somewhat like Death or at least have clear Death influences.
They're pretty good melodeath at any rate. Just don't mind that stupid loving song title.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

watt par posted:

No way groove-era Coroner was next level; Mental Vortex is my favorite. I dare you to not mosh your balls off to chorus riff in Son of Lilith. I agree a lot of thrash bands lost their way trying to adapt to the 90s, but Coroner was one of the rare ones who did it right.

I listened to that track and while it's some of the best groove metal I've heard, it's still groove metal. Doesn't force my head to bang in the way Reborn Through Hate or DOA does. But if you like groove more than thrash Mental Vortex is the introduction album for you, I guess.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it looks like a new Ghost album's being announced in a few days.

New site just popped up via their facebook/twitter, counting down to Monday. http://www.secularhaze.com/

Sounds pretty rad so far. Definitely one of my most anticipated albums for the new year.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Martyr are similar to later Death - a lot of melodic guitar hooks, and the drums/bass tend to follow the guitars a lot, and both guitars usually play the same thing. They're a bit different in that they don't have residual death metal in their style as Death did, rather Martyr play extremely percussive and technical music that has more of a jazzy feeling at times that draws many forms from death metal and uses harsh but coherent vocals. The end result is similar, but Martyr tend to jump around on dissonant chordal stuff while Death lean towards tremolo picking, string skipping, and more "metal" forms of riffing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That sounds up my alley too, I'm a huge Cynic fan.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So Allegaeon just finished up their set at the Cephalic Carnage/Job for a Cowboy show in Brooklyn, and god drat. Definitely check them out if you get the chance.

Not a big Job for a Cowboy fan but the 30 minute set Allegaeon just played was worth the 15 bucks on its own.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I know it's just bold Mercyful Fate / King Diamond worshiping rip offs but, drat if I don't really enjoy the new Attic album, The Invocation. You stream the entire album here... HAIL SATAN!!!

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte
New Suffocation:

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/new-suffocation-song-will-rip-your-face-off

I hope the rest of the album sounds this loving good.

kajeto fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 15, 2012

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hulk Krogan posted:

So Allegaeon just finished up their set at the Cephalic Carnage/Job for a Cowboy show in Brooklyn, and god drat. Definitely check them out if you get the chance.

Not a big Job for a Cowboy fan but the 30 minute set Allegaeon just played was worth the 15 bucks on its own.

Allegaeon is awesome and deserves more attention.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

For sure. They were tight as gently caress and everyone in the band absolutely shreds.

Nice guys too. Missed most of the rest of the show because my friend and I were shooting the breeze with them at the bar.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

He's right you guys you need to stop taking Anal oval office so seriously

kajeto posted:

New Suffocation:

http://www.metalinjection.net/av/new-suffocation-song-will-rip-your-face-off

I hope the rest of the album sounds this loving good.

bout drat time. But there goes the rest of my night

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Nordick posted:

I have never gotten around to listening to Death

I can't believe this is a post that someone made. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

All of us had a period where we had not yet heard Death. I'll admit, I'm still pretty unfamiliar with most of their older stuff. I mostly know from Human / Individual Though Patterns on.

That said, get around to listening to them. They're legends for a reason.