Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Hog Obituary posted:

For another $20k you can have BLACK!
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3471447760.html

(yes, it appears to still be for sale... I think it's been a while)

Meh.
There was one in San Antonio for $38k for a long time. It was filthy and looked poorly maintained. Although I am not actually sure what the difference between a well-maintained Testarossa and a poorly maintained one would be. Neither would run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

The price isn't amazing, to be honest, but what the car is is still jaw-dropping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-RUF-Porsche-BTR-III-Motronic-Turbo-/130815877376

FFS, the owner is ballsy enough to drive it around in snow:

That is surprisingly cheap for a RUF. Did adding the 965 body kit damage the value that much?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

glyph posted:

I love when sellers say poo poo like this:

Also popular: "Only 210,000 miles. Low for a Toyota!".

Because all Toyotas are mythical beasts that will run forever.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tacier posted:

Also popular: "Only 210,000 miles. Low for a Toyota!".

Because all Toyotas are mythical beasts that will run forever.

Please don't shatter these people's illusions.

While they're the reason used Japanese German cars are so expensive here, they're also the reason I can pick up a used French or Italian car for next to nothing with less wear and tear on it.

Because according to popular "wisdom", apparently only the Japanese and Germans know how to make good cars.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Everyone knows the best cars are Swedish :colbert:

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012
this could be...ok? minus the whole missing title part.

quote:

1977 Porsche 911s five speed trans 3 gear is going out never been wrecked garaged kept everything works on the car no problem with the motor AC heat it has a CD player not the original radio but everything else is original on the car new battery gas tank has been taken out and has been cleaned out with fresh gas but back in .car has a wale tail just not installed needs to be painted to match the car if you want it rake it with the car. it runs strong and fast lost title can get a bonded title but will ask for 8000 .for sale now 7800 obo.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3470031230.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is the magic year for the earliest I'd use as a daily driver (first year of full galvanization).

The price is suspiciously cheap.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

shoopeach posted:

this could be...ok? minus the whole missing title part.

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/3470031230.html

"never been wrecked"

translation: last accident was mercifully short of totaling me.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

juche mane posted:

"never been wrecked"

translation: last accident was mercifully short of totaling me.

I can't tell if that color is factory or not

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shoopeach posted:

I can't tell if that color is factory or not

I don't think so. I memory serves late 70's was royal blue (darker) or minerva blue metallic (and that's not metallic).

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

I don't think so. I memory serves late 70's was royal blue (darker) or minerva blue metallic (and that's not metallic).

edit: upon further research it looks like "minerva blue" a color only offered in 76/77

shoopeach fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 13, 2012

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

shoopeach posted:

edit: upon further research it looks like "minerva blue" a color only offered in 76/77

Man, what the hell. Go look at an FT-86 or whatever, and it's offered in like 3 colors. And one of them is white, which for some reason costs like $600.

I would love it if some manufacturers went back to the whole insane rainbow of potentially terrible colors thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

captainOrbital posted:

Man, what the hell. Go look at an FT-86 or whatever, and it's offered in like 3 colors. And one of them is white, which for some reason costs like $600.

I would love it if some manufacturers went back to the whole insane rainbow of potentially terrible colors thing.

There was actually an article on Jalopnik about this a little while ago; I guess over the last 10 years or so paint colours have sucked and been boring because all the major paint manufacturers changed their process and are trying to make paint last longer than it used to.

Now they're trying to fix it back up so colours will be awesome again.

http://jalopnik.com/5964403/your-future-car-could-have-one-of-these-amazingly-bright-colors

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shoopeach posted:

Yeah, that's what I was saying in the post you replied to...but the color is minerva blue METALLIC, and that CL post doesn't look like the paint is metallic to me. Maybe it is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/3463620613.html

:barf:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Heh, that's in town, should I text the dude and see if I can get more pics?

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that's what I was saying in the post you replied to...but the color is minerva blue METALLIC, and that CL post doesn't look like the paint is metallic to me. Maybe it is.

Ya for some reason I didn't see that. I'm somewhat tempted to go look at this car.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

atomicthumbs posted:

Signing this. Either they kill you, or they kill your wallet. Germans usually go for both.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

According to this guy, the check engine light is a dummy light.
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3474508431.html

Edit: For some reason my imgur wont selective screenshot anymore.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 13, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

It's like saying hardened facilities make the best houses.
Reminds me beause of my multi-pronged approach to trying to get a vehicle (read automotive ADD) there is also a chance I may be landing a nice Soviet era Lada in a few months. Depends on what else comes up in the mean time.

tl;dr: you need to work on your reading speed, and be afraid.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3465598709.html

:staredog:

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.
remember that thread about cars you'd want to die in? yeaaahhhh....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
1987 Scirocco for $750
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3471045279.html

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I saw that earlier and was really tempted. That's a pretty great price if it just needs the door replaced.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

King of False Promises posted:

I saw that earlier and was really tempted. That's a pretty great price if it just needs the door replaced.

I am sorely tempted as well. Its too early for me to throw around $750 though....

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

It's like an American version of group B.

And I like it, though I do wonder how well the chassis is coping with carrying more than its rated max load all the time (assuming that I'm not overlooking a tubular)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Falkenbok posted:

And I like it, though I do wonder how well the chassis is coping with carrying more than its rated max load all the time (assuming that I'm not overlooking a tubular)

It must have a tubular chassis under there somewhere. I really want to have that parked next to my(not running) '88 alltrac.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Falkenbok posted:

If you look through the pictures in that ad, at one point he has twin superchargers on that thing.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm posting this not because the car is lovely, but I noticed a familiar name in the ad :v:

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/3448011882.html

Now, if only it was a Toyota Tercel :(

Demostrs fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 15, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

King of False Promises posted:

Well, the door skin is about $200, and you'll probably need a few other parts. Door hinges are about $100. That's all in all a pretty sweet deal, but the interior, especially the seats, looks like they need to be replaced. "The odometer says 159k" looks like 359K to me. It looks rust free, but it's definitely a project car. Prepare for a lot of engine work. I'd probably buy it, if it was anywhere near me though.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 15, 2012

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

And this thing currently lives in one very dry part of Arizona.

http://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/3448570742.html

Also this:

http://mohave.craigslist.org/cto/3473082194.html

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 15, 2012

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Who would've thought that people could get more than $500 for a Gremlin, or a Pinto for that matter. Strange times we live in.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Pfft, how about 9k for a gremlin?

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1975-AMC-Gremlin-W0QQAdIdZ436157924

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
This is not actually gold, but the most :smith: story I've seen on CL: :(

quote:

SELLING: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited Edition - Metal Gray (sunset / parkside)
Date: 2012-12-11, 5:09PM PST

car comes fully loaded

two extra warranties were purchased with car
-7 year/100,000 mile ful coverage aka anything breaks that is manufacturer related will be covered EVEN TIRES ARE COVERED but stock version only i.e. go drifting in your yokohamas but cruise stock tires
-7 year/100,000 full maintenance aka all oil changes, lights, tune ups transmission/engine rebuilds that are required will be covered

extra protection package: zurich shield covers all interior/exterior i.e. if someone keys your car then any subaru dealership in the country will cover it or your idiot gf dropped [insert brand name make-up] on the leather seats then they cover it

msrp + extras + tax + lovely mark up i had to pay = over 39,0000

im asking 34,500 firm and cash only

bought car august 26th 2012

~1,500 miles

clean title

my personal license also has zero points, i dont smoke/drink/have pets

i am fully paralyzed neck down due to a NOT CAR RELATED accident and no one else in my family drives stick

all proof, documents including crappy dealership cleaning/polish package

contact via email

be 21+ with license to test drive no 16 year olds joyriding while car is under my name

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hope he got to drive it before that happened, gently caress.

On another topic, does anyone in AI have experience with the Mark VII? I've had my Fox Mustang for almost fifteen years now and am looking for something similar, yet different. I've heard plenty about the air suspension and other electrical issues, but I really like the styling and Arnott makes great replacement parts for them.

I finally found an LSC on craigslist that doesn't look like it's been sitting outside under a pine tree for the past ten years. Gonna go check it out after the holidays, if he's still got it.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 15, 2012

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
I really enjoyed my 92 LSC, I owned it from 2006-08, bought a California one for $2500 and spent about $500 replacing this and that (just one corner air bag, bought on ebay which was simple enough). Mine came with a neat Onboard Computer in the center console which had all your basic mpg etc. information, the exterior looked good, BBS rims, interior had these nice six way knock off Recaros and odd little eighties comforts everywhere you looked. It's easily the best cash-to-satisfaction ratio of any vehicle I've owned.

edit: it died not of natural causes, but to a brand new 09 Jaguar pulling out in front of me while I was going 40, I chose to skid into the Jag instead of oncoming or a utility pole.

spacejung fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 15, 2012

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

spacejung posted:

I really enjoyed my 92 LSC

Apparently you got the best version, the 90-92 cars had a nicer interior (if not as nice seats) and tend to go for more cash. This guy has dropped his asking price significantly after he realized KBB isn't really the best thing to go by with an 80's Ford box noone seems to care about.

And have you driven Mustangs of that era? I'm curious what the ride is like with the air suspension, I've never owned a car with such a setup, and have plenty of time behind fox Mustangs.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 15, 2012

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

Apparently you got the best version, the 90-92 cars had a nicer interior (if not as nice seats) and tend to go for more cash. This guy has dropped his asking price significantly after he realized KBB isn't really the best thing to go by with an 80's Ford box noone seems to care about.

And have you driven Mustangs of that era? I'm curious what the ride is like with the air suspension, I've never owned a car with such a setup, and have plenty of time behind fox Mustangs.

My only point of reference is my friend's 84 Mustang but despite being the same chassis they didn't handle similarly at all. The air-ride suspension made it like driving a cloud but despite its 5.0 302 it didn't accelerate particularly well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Sir Tonk posted:

The nice thing is the motor, transmission and other associated things should be reasonably reliable. Its stupid little poo poo that will drive you crazy. If the air ride works, just leave it alone. The AOD isn't all that bad either. Its not great by any means, but will work.

These are pretty decent cars, and dropping a 351 in it would be balls easy. I just never cared for the rear trunk lid. If it was smooth instead of the fake spare tire on it.

If I recall correctly, you can't just jack the car up, or it screws with the leveling computer (that could just be a town car thing though)

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The nice thing is the motor, transmission and other associated things should be reasonably reliable. Its stupid little poo poo that will drive you crazy. If the air ride works, just leave it alone. The AOD isn't all that bad either. Its not great by any means, but will work.

These are pretty decent cars, and dropping a 351 in it would be balls easy. I just never cared for the rear trunk lid. If it was smooth instead of the fake spare tire on it.

If I recall correctly, you can't just jack the car up, or it screws with the leveling computer (that could just be a town car thing though)

Shop procedure for all FoMoCo cars with air-ride from the late 80s through 90s is to pop the trunk and hit the switch turning the air system off. What happens if you dont turn it off? :shrug:
I'm not going to be the guy who found out the hard way. I assume it gives a signal from the level sensor that freaks the leveling computer out, possibly making it overinflate and burst, worst case.