Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Spiteful posted:

O, knitting gurus... I humbly seek your combined knowledge of patterns to try and find a sweater/jumper that will work with a 14ply/super bulky wool. Its for a man (I know I am tempting fate here) and he has requested something that isn't too boring, but also isn't too intricate.

I haven't had much luck with google or ravelry so i'm hoping you might have seen something on your travels that may be appropriate.
Thanks!

How intricate is too intricate? Ambitious looks nice, but it's for bulky and not super bulky yarn. It might still work if your gauge matches.

I have two gifts to finish and I can't work on them because finals. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Still working on a cardigan for my mother from Knit Kimono 2. I'm about...1/3 of the way through the back (it's the first piece I'm doing). I started it over the summer, worked on it for like 2 days, haven't touched it since. Now that I've finished all my other Christmas projects I can pick it back up. I figure I can get it done in a week, but I injured my finger finishing my son's new Christmas stocking, so I can't really get started on my mom's sweater until it heals up.

This is year #2 of me failing to finish my husband's cabled cardigan. It's maybe 1/4 of the way done, but I'm uninspired by the cable pattern, so I just can't make myself sit down and work on it.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I'm not doing any Christmas knitting. :colbert:

...I just have a zillion unfinished projects, that's all. I'm thinking of just pulling them all apart and making myself only have one thing at a time. Or maybe two. But three is right out.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
So my mum promised a baby blanket for my soon to be nephew. Trouble is she is just not going to be able to make it in time, so she roped me into it. While fishing through the old knitting bag looking for some spare 4mm dpns I found this:

When I was young and wanted to learn to knit. my mum told me to start on a scarf, she asked me to pick out a colour and apparently 8 year old me liked rainbows. The whole thing is tragically bad, it starts at 50 sts, and by the point I stopped went up to over 100 as I kept picking up new stitches accidentally. The yarn ran out when I was a kid and apparently we couldn't find a replacement so it changes from rainbow wool to rainbow acrylic half way through. But dammit I wanted to finish the first thing I started over 15 years ago.

It is terrible and I really shouldn't have. But I feel so proud.

In better stuff here are some of the triangles for the blanket, they are really fun and only take an hour and a half to make. Only 9 more to go.

Oh and here is a sock I made. I hate the colour but I was gifted the wool for last Christmas and might as well use it. I think it's not bad for a first sock. I'm halfway through the second.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Wandering Knitter posted:

My Mom wants a prayer shawl and I'm about 1/4 of the way through too. My problem? I've been knitting it for like a month and a half. :shepface:

Oy. I just don't promise big stuff to people anymore. I want to be a person who gives a lot of knitted gifts but I'm done.

I gave my mom a quilt for Hanukkah last year and aughhh it took FOREVER

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Sick knitting in this thread. XXXtreme.

Particularly the sock.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Oy. I just don't promise big stuff to people anymore. I want to be a person who gives a lot of knitted gifts but I'm done.

I gave my mom a quilt for Hanukkah last year and aughhh it took FOREVER

Normally I don't, but this is the first time she's ever asked for anything like that. I already warned her that it's probably going to be a birthday present at this rate. :ohdear:

Her birthday is mid-March. :ohdear:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Pssh you guys, it ain't no thing. While working more than full-time, I just knit a wide, seven-foot-long scarf in about two weeks.

Using bulky yarn held double, and size 15 needles :v:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Antinumeric posted:

In better stuff here are some of the triangles for the blanket, they are really fun and only take an hour and a half to make. Only 9 more to go.

Hey, cool. What's the pattern for this?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Hey, cool. What's the pattern for this?

It's in Shepherd Yarn Baby Shower Book 1007, Design 12, don't think I'm allow to copy the pattern up.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Anne Whateley posted:

Pssh you guys, it ain't no thing. While working more than full-time, I just knit a wide, seven-foot-long scarf in about two weeks.

Using bulky yarn held double, and size 15 needles :v:

Do you just hate life or something?

The current infinity scarf thing wouldn't be quite so bad except the yarn I got keeps snagging, I should have wound it into a ball instead of just pulling it from the skein as is but I was lazy and now I'm paying the price.

I have no idea why it is that I've been knitting for over 20 years and I still refuse to get a swift/ball winder/etc.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I have no idea why it is that I've been knitting for over 20 years and I still refuse to get a swift/ball winder/etc.

I almost added one to my xmas list, but i never buy yarn in hanks except for Rhinebeck, and my LYS is cool about winding them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Do you just hate life or something?
No, it was great! I've never knitted anything with such big yarn or such thick needles, and it went like lightning. My mom decided at Thanksgiving that she definitely needed a scarf for Christmas, and such a crazy gauge was the only way to do it, so it was perfect. Ten million times better than the laceweight scarf I've been working on for ~5 years.

I think ball winders are fun, too. I was so stoked when I got mine that I invited like half my then-S&B group over to wind all their stuff.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
If there is anyone reasonably close to me (driving distance, no shipping), I have a extra swift and ball winder because my husband didn't check with my mom before he bought my presents last minute last year.. :downs: I'd be willing to part with them for a semi-reasonable amount. Shipping them back would have cost more than buying them.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Wandering Knitter posted:

Normally I don't, but this is the first time she's ever asked for anything like that. I already warned her that it's probably going to be a birthday present at this rate. :ohdear:

Her birthday is mid-March. :ohdear:

I promised my mom a Celtic Knot Stole for Christmas...in 2010.

...I'm a little less than halfway done.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Fooley posted:

I almost added one to my xmas list, but i never buy yarn in hanks except for Rhinebeck, and my LYS is cool about winding them.

I desperately need a winder, nearly everything I buy is in hanks :(. After hand-winding 950 yards of lace yesterday/today, I'm buying myself a drat winder.

Oh god, Christmas :gonk:. I need to add about another hank's worth to this Irish Hiking Scarf

Stitch Twisted Vine Neckwarmer together

And turn this small pile of letters

Into a much, much larger pile for two signs. I'm sure I can get it all done, but there's a newly wound ball of MadTosh Lace in Baltic that's calling my name, begging to be made in to Winter Thaw.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I've been working on a scarf for someone since about October. It's on US7 needles. I think it'll be done just in time for Christmas if I stop slacking. Then I have to make my boyfriend some gloves, and if I have time I'm going to make hats or something for his family, since the plan is to spend Christmas with them. :ohdearsass:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I started a baby blanket when I got pregnant that was in the same pattern as the shawl I made for my wedding. The baby is one now... blanket is not even half done.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Wow, thank god it's not just me. Every year I watch the Yarn Harlot do more knitting in December than I have time for all year and I feel like such a well-intentioned-but-ultimately-a-failure SLACKER. I'm actually trying to learn cottage style knitting so I may too, pump out a sweater in two weeks.

I won't list the insane amount of stuff I need to knit for Christmas, but I am making a hat and mittens for myself before I leave for Wisconsin for vacation... on Tuesday. While in the meantime I'm working 10+ hour days. :downs:

Smam
Jul 31, 2003
Yarn Harlot is so stressful to read near Christmas because she makes entire sweaters in the time it takes me to finish a scarf. I have my final present on the needles now and am freaking out about finishing it in time, not counting the million handmade cards I foolishly decided to do this year since I am broke and wanted to give something meaningful to people without spending a ton.

And of course those two projects I started for myself before the holidays are looking at me from my desk...begging to be worked on...curses!!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
There's a woman in my knitting club like that. So far this winter she's knitted a sweater for herself, a throw blanket for her couch, and all of her Christmas presents. :stare: The woman is a machine.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I feel like I'm never going to finish my brown 4mm cabled jumper- I think I've just passed the halfway point on the back. The trouble is I use my hands for everything (school and typing for work) so I get finger and wrist fatigue and then I come home and look at it and remember that a row takes about 15 minutes and I just don't want to do it :( I nearly always have something better to do, and I'm always making absent minded mistakes and having to undo 50 stitches. Think I need to knit some socks to get me to fall back in love with knitting at all.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I'm glad to see I'm not the only notoriously slow knitter or terrible with deadlines. I finished a simple replacement hat for my sister in law months ago but figured I'd wait to gift it until Christmas or I'd never have gotten it done in time. Then I decided to pick up sewing so everyone's getting last minute sewn things, like iPad cases for the bro and SIL, and placemats for the grandmother since she's using the "good" table these days.

Although I did go through periods where I was almost as bad as that human knitting machine. A large baby blanket a month, DK weight ugh. Don't miss that.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I was hoping I could get some fibre recommendations from you fellow knitters. I have a friend I want to knit a present for a friend but unfortunately she has a gently caress ton of allergies and her skin is incredibly sensitive. Animal fibres are a big no-no so I'm trying to look for a nice synthetic or plant fibre yarn. Seeing as she can't even enjoy the really awesome soft animal yarns that there are I want to knit something pretty special. I want something quite soft and luxurious if I can find it. I have no idea if you can get silk and cotton blends but maybe something along those lines? I have been looking myself but wanted to see if anyone had anything they'd found and could vouch for.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Bamboo yarn can be very soft and unlikely to irritate someone with animal fiber allergies. Just be aware that the way it's usually spun can make a splitty and annoying yarn to work with.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Serenity Dove posted:

I was hoping I could get some fibre recommendations from you fellow knitters. I have a friend I want to knit a present for a friend but unfortunately she has a gently caress ton of allergies and her skin is incredibly sensitive. Animal fibres are a big no-no so I'm trying to look for a nice synthetic or plant fibre yarn. Seeing as she can't even enjoy the really awesome soft animal yarns that there are I want to knit something pretty special. I want something quite soft and luxurious if I can find it. I have no idea if you can get silk and cotton blends but maybe something along those lines? I have been looking myself but wanted to see if anyone had anything they'd found and could vouch for.

KnitPicks' Shine Worsted is nice stuff, and made of all plant material. Or if you're looking for either fingering or sport weight, they have their Comfy line, which is mostly cotton and a little acrylic.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Amelia Song posted:

KnitPicks' Shine Worsted is nice stuff, and made of all plant material. Or if you're looking for either fingering or sport weight, they have their Comfy line, which is mostly cotton and a little acrylic.

Sadly even though they have the perfect colour they wont ship internationally. (I'm in the UK.) I'll probably go for bamboo cotton and keep a look out for the right colour

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I thought Knitpicks went by another name in the UK? Knitpro? Either way heres a website with Knitpicks yarn in the UK http://www.greatbritishyarns.co.uk/acatalog/KnitPicks_Worsted_Weight_Yarns.html

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Does anyone around here also spin? I got sick and tired of this really lovely splitty yarn and am in the process of respinning it into something I can actually use (Lion Brand Homespun, never loving use that poo poo ever unless you hate yourself). I was just kind of wondering if anyone has had an okay experience plying it, or if I should just give up the ghost and burn it all.

My mother tried making a prayer shawl with it for her first knitting project, gave up, and it's been sitting around for years. I figure I might as well make something worthwhile.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

Wait... you're respinning LBHomespun???

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Charmmi posted:

Wait... you're respinning LBHomespun???

I'm a giant masochist with too much free time, yes. So far it seems to work pretty well!

I use this tutorial: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zilliah/sets/72157624542941597/

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

I can see how it would be an interesting challenge but are you seriously considering respinning an entire skein of Homespun. Please share your results and findings because that would be extremely interesting. Homespun is straight up the worst and if you can improve it then there is hope for the world after all.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Octofoot posted:

Does anyone around here also spin?

There's a spinning thread in this forum:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337961

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

You are definitely insane. I'd rather shear the sheep myself than do that.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I agree, that's pretty insane. It's not the first time I've heard of someone doing that though.

I spin too, not nearly often enough. Stupid gainful employment.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You know, just the other day I thought 'I haven't seen Octofoot on SA in a long time'. Now I see it's because you've gone completely insane.

Godspeed. :patriot:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

MORE KNIT CHAT

I made the scarf shown in this article for a friend: http://seattletimes.com/html/homegarden/2013225684_halloweencraft22.html?prmid=related_stories_section

I don't have the horrible Twilight-themed knitting book, so I just started in red and transitioned to black via intarsia. At one point I was juggling 17 little tiny balls of yarn. I wanted to die. It took me two years to drag myself through this project and finally get it off my favorite bamboo size 8s.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

So I just finished this and I'm wondering now how to go about blocking it. Fold it in half as shown below and pin it down? Hang it somehow and weight it?

I'm also annoyed that one of the garter stitch edge bands keeps flipping up, which is why I'm leaning toward fold and pin. Any suggestions?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

For stuff like that I usually fold in half and pin. Heck, that's how I do square shawls too big to block anywhere in my tiny apartment, it should work for a cowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Finished object post:

Elegant Cable Scarf

Unfortunately its a bit short, although I'll probably get some more length if I block. Not that I wear scarves anyway.