Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The shield (and the BSS) only drops from the sword-wielding Balder Knights. The rapier ones exist only to give you nothing and spam their annoying parry-stance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Mazed posted:

The shield (and the BSS) only drops from the sword-wielding Balder Knights. The rapier ones exist only to give you nothing and spam their annoying parry-stance.

Once I realized that they can't parry jump attacks (or sorcery and pyromancy, obviously), that stance got way less irritating.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

NeurosisHead posted:

Once I realized that they can't parry jump attacks (or sorcery and pyromancy, obviously), that stance got way less irritating.

Parrying also has a maximum range, so careful spear-poking also works. Horfing a little Sunny D in front of them also gets them back on the offensive.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I know this game is weird about phantom colors but I swear I almost had my host killed by a grey phantom :stare: The really weird thing is, from my perspective it was a perfectly normal grey phantom that I couldn't hurt

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redmercer posted:

I know this game is weird about phantom colors but I swear I almost had my host killed by a grey phantom :stare: The really weird thing is, from my perspective it was a perfectly normal grey phantom that I couldn't hurt

It was probably an NPC. I think they show up as grey phantoms for other players.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

redmercer posted:

Do you mean the grey rough outline ghost images? Because that would definitely be a first for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

redmercer posted:

NPCs can be aggroed by hosts, but you can't do anything because they stay as gray ghost-people the whole time. That's most likely what you were seeing. All too often I've been summoned for the gargoyles only to stand there shrugging as the guy takes on Lautrec by himself because I can't help him. :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I figured out part of what I love so much about Dark Souls, just from an aesthetic standpoint. It takes the sort of impossible geography you see in old fantasy art, and actually makes it work. And it's loving awesome.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I figured out part of what I love so much about Dark Souls, just from an aesthetic standpoint. It takes the sort of impossible geography you see in old fantasy art, and actually makes it work. And it's loving awesome.

My favorite thing about the game is that it's basically completely seamless. The game world interconnects 100% with one tiny exception (The Abyss feeds into the top of the Demon Ruins, but that's likely because the abyss itself is supposed to be "nowhere"). You can run through the whole game without a single loading screen from the start of Firelink to Anor Londo which is really neat to me (deaths non-permitting).

Also Lordran is perched precariously on top of a massive system of eldritch trees with is drat awesome. The game's faux-medieval aesthetic just works so well.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It was probably an NPC. I think they show up as grey phantoms for other players.

I should have figured that! It was in Dark Anor Londo so odds are it was probably the firekeeper.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Mental Midget posted:

I'm planning my second character and of course I am stuck at work and I'm playing with the character calculator, just wanted to get anyone's opinion about this build.

I wanted to keep mid-roll yet use a greatsword in 1h and the greatshield of artorias as well. I was reading the crimson set is a decent all around set with a very light weight to make up for the heavy weapon and shield.

One thing I am completely blind about is miracles - if I invest the points to pump my faith up to 30 and attunement slots to 2 what would be the best miracles to take?

I have greater heal and greater lightning spear selected but I welcome any advice or opinions.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b...W4sd29vZGVuLDE=

Swapping out the wolf ring for Havel's gives you way greater range for armor, some of which will get you up to/just over 40 poise anyway and possibly be more protective (or better looking).

For PvE, heal and lightning are pretty awesome. You could consider dropping heal (since you have estus anyway) for wrath of the gods, which is a very quick way to deal with swarms, or you could roll around with lightning and greater lightning for more ammo for ranged attacks, or also throw on greater magic barrier which I understand will trivialize most magic/dark magic attacks. For Coop you can keep heal on as it means you can heal yourself without burdening your host.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Buried alive posted:

Swapping out the wolf ring for Havel's gives you way greater range for armor, some of which will get you up to/just over 40 poise anyway and possibly be more protective (or better looking).

For PvE, heal and lightning are pretty awesome. You could consider dropping heal (since you have estus anyway) for wrath of the gods, which is a very quick way to deal with swarms, or you could roll around with lightning and greater lightning for more ammo for ranged attacks, or also throw on greater magic barrier which I understand will trivialize most magic/dark magic attacks. For Coop you can keep heal on as it means you can heal yourself without burdening your host.

Sweet, I am loving these suggestions. I wanted to try out Miracles mostly for ranged attacks and I think I'll follow your advice to double-up on lightning. I really, really like the look of the Crimson set (like a Plaguedoctor dressed all in red) but I'll keep the Wolf Ring swapping stuff in mind because there are SO MANY ARMORS I WANT TO PLAY DRESS UP WITH AAAAA

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

http://www.twitch.tv/soloflock/b/347798578

Cool stuff starts at 9:00.

Four people versus Smough and Ornstein. Sadly I died just as Super O appeared due to a mis-step, but other than that...

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 14, 2012

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Turns out, Ornstein and Smough aren't so tough when you bring an army:

Fight starts at 13:00

e: dammit geese

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

Dragonwagon posted:

My R2 can not tell friend from foe, sorry Tallgeese.

Also, I made a highlight for those that don't like watching the Havel Shuffle.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Klowns posted:

Also, I made a highlight for those that don't like watching the Havel Shuffle.

But why wouldn't you want to watch the Havel shuffle? It's the hotest new dance in Arnor Londo!

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

immortal flow posted:

I actually feel bad summoning people to help with bosses on NG+ :(

I just want to help some dude become a sunbro and he gets pasted by the first enemy we meet. There needs to be a way of telling someone 'be more careful than usual please'.

I use endgame/DLC armor as kind of a signal for "Down for NG+" I get way more summons for O+S NG+ runs as Artorias than just about anything else. You can usually tell what a summoned player is like by their armor; if it looks like they're wearing the knight/elite knight armor, then odds are good that they aren't going to do any good in NG+.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is your appearance on the summon sign locked in when you place it, or does it reflect whatever your character is holding at that moment? I.e., can you hold a catalyst in your left hand when you drop the sign to show that you have sorcery, then hold a shield in that hand while running around waiting to be summoned, but still have the image on the sign reflect the catalyst?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

CJacobs posted:

My favorite thing about the game is that it's basically completely seamless. The game world interconnects 100% with one tiny exception (The Abyss feeds into the top of the Demon Ruins, but that's likely because the abyss itself is supposed to be "nowhere"). You can run through the whole game without a single loading screen from the start of Firelink to Anor Londo which is really neat to me (deaths non-permitting).

Also Lordran is perched precariously on top of a massive system of eldritch trees with is drat awesome. The game's faux-medieval aesthetic just works so well.
It's also worth noting that the transition cutscene from Sen's to Anor Londo is not actually because of a gap in the geometry. If you use noclip/levitation with Cheat Engine or whatever, you can actually get over the wall behind the Iron Golem and you'll be in Anor Londo.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Dragonwagon posted:

This is great. Who was the guy with Armor of Thorns and no legs? I swear I've seen that guy as a ghost before in Anor Londo during my low level runs.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The one catch is that if you side with Kaathe, Frampt ragequits and you can't feed him things for the rest of the playthrough.
By that point the souls you can get out of doing so are chump change, though. It's less a way to make some souls and more a way to get some pocket change in exchange for cleaning out your bottomless box.

Balobam posted:

Also if it helps or gives you peace of mind in any way, I'm pretty certain that the leeches are outside the aggro range of the mosquitos, so you can run over there without bothering to deal with them. The 3 near the big root might be too close, though.
If you base yourself from the bonfire inside the tree you never have to deal with anything but the leeches on farming.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Paracelsus posted:

Is your appearance on the summon sign locked in when you place it, or does it reflect whatever your character is holding at that moment? I.e., can you hold a catalyst in your left hand when you drop the sign to show that you have sorcery, then hold a shield in that hand while running around waiting to be summoned, but still have the image on the sign reflect the catalyst?

It's locked when you place it. So you can, for example, put down a sign with a dragon's tooth and full havel's, then show up naked except for a boar's head.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Where's all the Dark Souls 2 chat?

I read this bit:

PC gamer posted:

At the same time, part of Dark Souls’ allure was its cryptic, resistant mythology, unpicked only after many hours of play.

Will that elusive quality be consigned to history? Shibuya: “I personally am the sort of person who likes to be more direct than subtle,” he tells us. “[Dark Souls II] will be more straightforward and more understandable.”

and figured this thread would have exploded with rage.

I just went back and looked in the thread around Dec 8 when this story was posted, didn't see anything. Though, I try to not read too much in here since I'm not very far into the game yet.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

r3v3n4nt posted:

I read this bit:

I just went back and looked in the thread around Dec 8 when this story was posted, didn't see anything. Though, I try to not read too much in here since I'm not very far into the game yet.

We made some jokes about it, I don't think many people here are too worried just yet. If you look at every single RPG From has made, they have all been really weird and esoteric and hard to get into so it's hard to imagine them suddenly doing an about face just as that style starts to hit a mass audience.

We won't really know, of course, to what extent the game will be more straightforward or easy to understand until people have it in their hands. I think there's some things they could do that everyone would agree are good, like having a full explanation of the mechanics behind Humanity in game.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
We didn't explode because we're not reddit or neogaf. There's nothing to explode about, the statement doesn't mean anything right now just like any other ambiguous statement made by any other producer/developer months before their game comes out.

I think most rational people understand that From probably isn't going to turn the next Souls game into Devil May Cry, and that the statement most likely refers to simply the story and the fact that they'll probably make it a more straightforward one. Besides, it's not like Dark Souls couldn't have used an extra layer of explanation or things like accurate item descriptions.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

r3v3n4nt posted:

I read this bit:

I'd like the sequel to be a bit more direct. Dark Souls has a really great story, but it's told almost entirely through item descriptions which is one of the dumbest delivery mechanics ever.

3 Stacked Midgets
Jul 29, 2004
Triple Threat

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

We made some jokes about it, I don't think many people here are too worried just yet. If you look at every single RPG From has made, they have all been really weird and esoteric and hard to get into so it's hard to imagine them suddenly doing an about face just as that style starts to hit a mass audience.

We won't really know, of course, to what extent the game will be more straightforward or easy to understand until people have it in their hands. I think there's some things they could do that everyone would agree are good, like having a full explanation of the mechanics behind Humanity in game.

I interpreted the esoteric, weird nature of the plot as a sort of welcome unintended mutant consequence of poor localization.

Like, the game would be much worse and less enjoyable if it was translated coherently. All the text in the game makes sense, but the plot isn't told in an intelligible way. The game's story is at its absolute weakest during the intro animation where it has some old lady babbling about a dragon war, and is at its strongest when its inferred in oblique ways through the environment.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I'd like the sequel to be a bit more direct. Dark Souls has a really great story, but it's told almost entirely through item descriptions which is one of the dumbest delivery mechanics ever.

I'd like the sequel to be more direct, but from a mechanics explanation point of view. While I do wish they had a better plot delivery system than item descriptions, what would be a far worse delivery mechanism is more expository dialog.

One of the best things about Dark Souls is the way you infer the backstory of the setting passively rather than being told.

Anyways, I think the reason people here haven't gone hopping mad over that quote is because there's so little context behind it. We don't know if he means the story, the game progression, the game mechanics themselves, the way the game mechanics are explained and interfaced with, or any other possible interpretation. There's a lot of different ways one could take that quote, and not all are negative, so it's worth waiting to see.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 14, 2012

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'd like the sequel to be more direct, but from a mechanics explanation point of view. While I do wish they had a better plot delivery system than item descriptions, what would be a far worse delivery mechanism is more expository dialog.

One of the best things about Dark Souls is the way you infer the backstory of the setting passively rather than being told.

That's a good point, but the existing delivery mechanism is just as bad as plain old exposition in my opinion. The developers substitute lovely text dumps when you hit a point in the story for lovely text dumps when you get an item. It suffers from the same problem, but hides it in a menu and requires you to farm for some of it, which is really stupid.

Ideally, the story for Dark Souls 2 would be just as passively told, but through less contrived means. I want to have to dig and search to find out what pyromancy really is, not grind souls until I can buy the spell that describes all that for me.

e: And I agree with your edit too. It's too premature to freak out over anything that's been said about the game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

That's a good point, but the existing delivery mechanism is just as bad as plain old exposition in my opinion. The developers substitute lovely text dumps when you hit a point in the story for lovely text dumps when you get an item. It suffers from the same problem, but hides it in a menu and requires you to farm for some of it, which is really stupid.

Ideally, the story for Dark Souls 2 would be just as passively told, but through less contrived means. I want to have to dig and search to find out what pyromancy really is, not grind souls until I can buy the spell that describes all that for me.

Item descriptions are available from a merchant's inventory.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Item descriptions are available from a merchant's inventory.

I forgot about that, but you still need to farm for items to get some of the story details, which is pretty dumb.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'd be fine if they kept the same storytelling method (item descriptions and NPC chat, one or two cutscenes) if they just added a 'journal' which records information you learn about the world. Like an alphabetical list of people you've talked to or heard about, something like that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

VDay posted:

We didn't explode because we're not reddit or neogaf. There's nothing to explode about, the statement doesn't mean anything right now just like any other ambiguous statement made by any other producer/developer months before their game comes out.

I think most rational people understand that From probably isn't going to turn the next Souls game into Devil May Cry, and that the statement most likely refers to simply the story and the fact that they'll probably make it a more straightforward one. Besides, it's not like Dark Souls couldn't have used an extra layer of explanation or things like accurate item descriptions.
gently caress you, Tiny Being's Ring starting gift. t:mad:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

VDay posted:

I think most rational people understand that From probably isn't going to turn the next Souls game into Devil May Cry,

Personally I think From could shed a little more light on the story. :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Klowns posted:

That was actually my fault. Is hould have inflated my HP in consideration of that eventuality.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I use endgame/DLC armor as kind of a signal for "Down for NG+" I get way more summons for O+S NG+ runs as Artorias than just about anything else. You can usually tell what a summoned player is like by their armor; if it looks like they're wearing the knight/elite knight armor, then odds are good that they aren't going to do any good in NG+.

I wear Elite Knight +10 still getting into NG+, I did pick up Artorias armour from Domnhall before I finished up though, Elite Knight's light enough I can fast roll with a greatsword and Havel's ring.

(I am a huge newbie still though :v:)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So, I invaded some dude in the burg. It was quite the cruel invade, he got hit by the flaming barrel that rolls down the stairs and was being chased by a black knight. After he got up from being hit by the barrel I just whacked him once and killed him. But for some reason, that kill got me 877000 souls.

WHY

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Today was the first time I realized you could press the L bumper to aim precisely when using the bow.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

cat doter posted:

So, I invaded some dude in the burg. It was quite the cruel invade, he got hit by the flaming barrel that rolls down the stairs and was being chased by a black knight. After he got up from being hit by the barrel I just whacked him once and killed him. But for some reason, that kill got me 877000 souls.

WHY

It's entirely possible it was NG++ and he was looking to save up for something like Sorcery or Pyromancy. Or he was hacking.

I saved up 22 Humanity and like 100k souls on my first run through Blighttown just to blow it all on spider chicks and fireballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

fennesz posted:

It's entirely possible it was NG++ and he was looking to save up for something like Sorcery or Pyromancy. Or he was hacking.

I saved up 22 Humanity and like 100k souls on my first run through Blighttown just to blow it all on spider chicks and fireballs.

I have no idea, it had to be hacking. He was just wearing lovely chain mail and had a club of some sort. This is on my SL1 character, too. I can hardly just blow it on leveling up something. Most of my gear is fully upgraded too.

• Locked thread