Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Doom is way better as an anchor, but he's right in that beam assists can be super helpful, the trick to playing without one with team BFF is basically never letting up pressure which is pretty hard to do against good players so it can definitely help. That said I don't think the wesker assist is really that useful for wolvie as most assists that have a reasonable amount of active time will allow for a pickup into fatal claw loop, including akuma's tatsu.

Akuma is a good anchor but he's pretty dang hard to use in a lot of situations due to his minimal range on normals and kind of slow movement options, but his damage output with meter is really good so if you do land hits it's usually a fairly simple conversion.

I personally play Wolvie/Vergil/Akuma because Vergil is too sick, generally meter neutral and tatsu can be used as part of his blockstrings to make his blocked stinger followups a bit safer/harder to deal with. Vergil also deals pretty well with the stuff that fudges up wolvie and I think that's fairly important for the 3rd wheel to the bros for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

brian posted:

Doom is way better as an anchor, but he's right in that beam assists can be super helpful, the trick to playing without one with team BFF is basically never letting up pressure which is pretty hard to do against good players so it can definitely help. That said I don't think the wesker assist is really that useful for wolvie as most assists that have a reasonable amount of active time will allow for a pickup into fatal claw loop, including akuma's tatsu.

Akuma is a good anchor but he's pretty dang hard to use in a lot of situations due to his minimal range on normals and kind of slow movement options, but his damage output with meter is really good so if you do land hits it's usually a fairly simple conversion.

I personally play Wolvie/Vergil/Akuma because Vergil is too sick, generally meter neutral and tatsu can be used as part of his blockstrings to make his blocked stinger followups a bit safer/harder to deal with. Vergil also deals pretty well with the stuff that fudges up wolvie and I think that's fairly important for the 3rd wheel to the bros for life.
I disagree. Doom may be better at holding a lead, but Akuma has way better rush down. Akuma is also a threat with meter while Doom isn't unless you are being combo'd. Doom does have footdive, which seems to always turn things around for him, but that shouldn't be happening. If Doom is above you it should be expected.

Perhaps I'm biased as I'm not a fan of Doom, but I think running him anchor is a mistake. His only hope is to get that one hit to corner carry where he can actually mix up on incoming with cross-up footdives.

Now if you want to run Doom second, I can get behind that. You lose missiles/beam for your second character, but you gain someone who is probably a better character to run it back. Also, if you are running Wolvie on point that also gives you huge dhc damage off any fatal claw without having to worrying about dropping the loop.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I don't think we've been playing the same game then.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Doom is pretty easily top 3 and is really really good in almost any situation. I can't really fathom how anyone could get the idea that Akuma is better in any way. It's really, really not even close.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Brosnan posted:

Doom is pretty easily top 3 and is really really good in almost any situation. I can't really fathom how anyone could get the idea that Akuma is better in any way. It's really, really not even close.

I think that Doom is a better asset to any team, but the Doom/Akuma anchor question comes down to the matchup. I play Dorm/Morrigan/Doom and I would be much more worried of an Akuma left standing against my team than a Doom. Doom can't do much against Dorm or Morrigan when he's by himself, especially if they have a life lead.

EDIT: Since we're talking about Doom anchors, any suggestions on getting in on people with a solo Doom. I've only recently added him to my team and find it difficult to get in on certain characters, mostly those that can zone effectively.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Brosnan posted:

It's not as clear cut as you're making it. Akuma is scarier in xfc lvl 3 than Doom, and as Anchor he can do fireball hyper xx xfc into a full combo from anywhere on the screen. Not to mentions his hypers actually do significant chip damage.

Also his demon flips give him an incoming mixup that is 100x better than Doom's solo incoming.

I think the bias is stemming from the fact that Doom is so much better assists-wise that we see a LOT of Doom comebacks as a result, really it's only been a year or so since JWong's Akuma was making solo comebacks left and right.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :morning:

Thursday December 13th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/qcxsciov7r

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xbce8pb6u8

Y'all ain't ready

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Doom assists are way better.

Both Akuma and Doom are really good in XFC level 3.

That being said, Akuma is a fuckton easier to use than Doom, especially if you're newer at the game, which is the original context for all of this.

So yes, Akuma is a fine anchor choice if you're looking for an easier to play character that's still extremely scary. A really good anchor Doom has a lot more potential than a really good anchor Akuma, but you have to get to that level first.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Super Rad posted:

Also his demon flips give him an incoming mixup that is 100x better than Doom's solo incoming.

Yeah this is like completely, 100% wrong. Akuma is better if you aren't very good because he's a lot easier to use, but I would much rather deal with a single 50/50 with no real followup pressure if it gets blocked than Doom's snowball shitshow. Akuma can make comebacks provided people do stupid things; Doom can make them regardless.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, a Doom with X-Factor and one meter can destroy an entire team after one hit. Hell, a Doom with three meters can destroy an entire team by himself.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Brosnan posted:

Doom can make them regardless.

With what tools exactly? Please tell me what mixup solo Doom has that's any better than what Akuma has available, or how Doom can "keep the pressure going" in ways that Akuma can't.

Akuma can definitely keep pressure up in xfc, and the demon flip mixup has several followups, including doing more 50/50s, or going into high/low with his standing overhead.

When have you seen a Doom comeback that wasn't fueled by the opponent making a mistake like pressing buttons and getting footdived?

E: And just so you don't get the wrong idea, I feel that Doom is a better anchor for most teams, but he has as few ways of opening up an opponent solo as Akuma, it's always going to rely on a mistake.

Super Rad fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 13, 2012

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Super Rad posted:

When have you seen a Doom comeback that wasn't fueled by the opponent making a mistake like pressing buttons and getting footdived?

Praise be to the footdive. :pray:

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes
agreed on the doom being better in every department

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Doom is so much better than akuma mainly because doom has far better mobility. His mix-up game is a lot more nuanced than akuma, and he has far more options on incoming characters. He doesn't give a gently caress about push-block and can convert off any throw into death, which is extremely important in this game.

I'm not saying akuma is bad in x-factor by any means, but doom is just so much better in almost every regard.

I will say however that akuma does give doom a hard time if he has the life lead since fireballs are kind of annoying if doom has to get in.

However, they both pale in comparison to the god that is xfactor 3 devil trigger vergil.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I think solo Doom is pretty bad even in XF3. He gets out zoned by anyone who can zone. If he's got meter who cares? He's not gonna kill your team with 100k (or whatever tiny amount it is) chip from finger lasers. As long as you don't stand directly under him and press buttons he can't do poo poo. I would rather play anchor Sentinel than anchor Doom. That said, Doom's fast enough in XF3 to be dangerous and he can easily kill a team if he gets hits.

Akuma isn't the most amazing character solo either but at least he's got that beam hyper so that he can do something with his meter. At the very least you shouldn't be calling assists against him since he can beam hyper XF beam hyper to kill your assist. Without meter he's worse but I usually think of solo anchors as having access to at least 2 bars.

Dren fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 13, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So yesterday I went to my local arcade and played quite a few games, and I kept getting blown up by this Hawkeye player. I play Nova/Dormammu/Task and I forget his specific team, but he had Captain America/Hawkeye/Strider, and man, I've never played a good Hawkeye, but he just completely shut down my whole team. Nova doesn't have much of an answer to Hawkeye's screen control, Dormammu has no time to establish his own screen control, and Taskmaster's arrows are slower than Hawkeye's.

Also, Hawkeye's mixups confused the hell out of me. Anyone got any good tips for going up against a good Hawkeye? I thought about picking up Hawkeye but his combos are very counter-intuitive to me. I'd still like to have him because my team would work just as well with Hawkeye as it does with Task, and it'd be nice to have a pocket Hawkeye.

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 20, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Signed up! I'm-a gonna ween >B^]

Acute Hepatitis
Feb 25, 2008

King of Bikes

Jmcrofts posted:

Should i use my anchor doom teams? :getin:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Oh really? Well guess what

gently caress Haggar.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Gonna get bodied but whatever, I've got nothing to do tonight and I've got that marvel itch. :getin:

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Brosnan posted:

How can he be top 3 when the top 4 consists of zero, viper, vergil, and mags? You'd actually argue he is better than ANY of those characters overall?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I am in no way ready to put Viper in the top 5, personally.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Countblanc posted:

Even if one believes that to be true that still leaves zero, vergil, and mags.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Countblanc posted:

Totally agree. Quite frankly, she's lucky if she's top 10.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

GoodCleanFun posted:

How can he be top 3 when the top 4 consists of zero, viper, vergil, and mags? You'd actually argue he is better than ANY of those characters overall?

Uh, how many teams do you see Viper on? She's a very good point character with a team behind her and that's about it, and it's not because only Marlinpie has execution good enough to use her or some such nonsense.

Now how many teams do you see Doom on? :allears:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How many teams did we see Sentinel on in vanilla.....

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Jmcrofts posted:

How many teams did we see Sentinel on in vanilla.....

Quite a few until he lost a third of his health?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Quite a few even after that.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Ya'll have not fought a good Viper if you don't think she's potentially a top 3 point character. The precision required to use her tools is greater than a lot of characters, but when you fight someone who can use them you get to experience why so many people rate the character so highly.

I legitimately have more trouble fighting someone who is competent with her than any other competent top tier character I've played against. In the state where there are an absurd amount of competent top tier team players. (although that's more due to my playstyle and my team's playstyle)

When it comes to overall team structure, Vergil and Doom are tops bar none- they provide fantastic assists, DHCs/TACs and point characters. The question on what you're judging character rankings by is pretty important in this game since there's a difference between top overall characters, top point characters and top support characters.

The thing is, with how quickly games can snowball due to how the top point characters work it's not quite right to always judge based on 'overall team contribution'. See: Zero and Viper for this kinda stuff.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 14, 2012

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Brosnan posted:

Uh, how many teams do you see Viper on? She's a very good point character with a team behind her and that's about it, and it's not because only Marlinpie has execution good enough to use her or some such nonsense.

Now how many teams do you see Doom on? :allears:

Doom is on more teams because he works with more characters and is less execution heavy than viper. That has nothing to do with viper's potential.

Marlinpie isn't the only person running her successfully. Viper play from drew grimey and kbeast won the recent NorCal vs SoCal exhibition.

I'll ask my original question again. How is doom top 3? Is he better than zero, vergil, and mags?

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I'd say better than mags but not vergil or zero.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Woahhh... if we're talking about on point Doom is not even CLOSE to Mags. His assist is obviously way better but on point they are leagues apart.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Apart from the viper thing, I thought we were talking overall, where I think doom edges out mags (though hypergrav assist is pretty darn good). On point you see characters like wolverine up there.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Signed up with my new cheaper and shittier internet for the first time, so I apologize for any lag in advance.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Most everyone is going to have a different reason for ranking characters where they rank them. Personally, I see it as Zero, Vergil, then a group of Viper/Morrigan/Magneto/Doom that I have no real problem with anyone putting in any order for the next few spots. Dorm and Spencer somewhere in there too but I don't think either should be considered third, and Wolvie is in the area too.

Viper is up there with Zero for being able to kill teams after one hit, Morrigan is part of one of the best duos in Morri/Doom and is the key character for the winningest player right now, Magneto does so many things well, and Doom provides two incredible assists with solid point play.

Wozbo posted:

Apart from the viper thing, I thought we were talking overall, where I think doom edges out mags (though hypergrav assist is pretty darn good).
Do people actually use the Hyper Grav assist? I see everyone using Disruptor, which works well as a quick beam assist and for crossup teleport shenanigans (see: Masta CJ's Dorm/Magneto).

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
If you NEED an assist in order to murk whole teams (Viper w/ lockdown assist like Ammy; Morrigan w/ Doom or Strider), then you ain't Top 5 in my book.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
.....Magneto with Psylocke? :twisted:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
I use the hyper grav assis. I'm trying to be better, so I'm using Viscant's learner team but with hyper grav. It does wonders whenever mags isn't on point and you hit anything. It puts just about every combo into the 800k range (assuming standard starters instead of the most perfect jh into h s into whatever bullcrap). Doom gets the upball super from st.h, and sent gets to do hyper drones into plasma ball if need be.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Any of you guys on Xbox? We could do a post tourny lobby :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Shiki Dan posted:

If you NEED an assist in order to murk whole teams (Viper w/ lockdown assist like Ammy; Morrigan w/ Doom or Strider), then you ain't Top 5 in my book.

Marvel is a team game this distinction is worthless. Every character gets better with assists and some assists make poo poo completely unfair (take Zero, who is already bullshit, and give him Jam Session and he is now KING OF BULLSHIT MOUNTAIN). Especially now that a lot of people are seeing the meta in terms of two man shells rather than individual characters. Morridoom, Ammydoom, and ___ May Cry are far, far more threatening and more practical to discuss than the characters individually.

Like was said above talking about single characters gets tricky because you can classify characters in different ways and get pretty different tier lists.

• Locked thread