Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
I've been shooting some things at work mainly just for fun and practice:

Makrilli by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Savunieriät by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Muikku by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Savumuikkuja by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Pallurat by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

_MG_4815.jpg by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Despite this not giving me any desire to eat the item pictured, I quite like it.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

I enjoy this first one because. I think it would be stronger if there wasn't a shadow underneath the fish, so it could seem more like it was floating on top of the paper.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I enjoy this first one because. I think it would be stronger if there wasn't a shadow underneath the fish, so it could seem more like it was floating on top of the paper.

Yeah, I have to agree.

Nice shot, aiiaznsk8er, I like the grime. The monochromatic nature does make it hard to focus on something, tho.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Waiting for the SH/SC post, "So I spilled some gravy...."

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Waiting for the SH/SC post, "So I spilled some gravy...."

modsass.

Also that isnt something SH/SC would troubleshoot, you see its an audio receiver.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

modsass.

Also that isnt something SH/SC would troubleshoot, you see its an audio receiver.

What are you talking about, all servers these days have 15-pound toroidal transformers, banana jacks on the back, eight giant capacitors, and almost no visible ICs.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

What are you talking about, all servers these days have 15-pound toroidal transformers, banana jacks on the back, eight giant capacitors, and almost no visible ICs.

:911:Windows NT4:911:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Musket posted:

modsass.

Yeah I know, but it IYG doesn't have a dedicated troubleshooting forum.

Oh, nevermind.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Well, it's no "subverting the modern aesthetic of food photography" ...

But it was yummy anyways :) It's been interesting photographing restaurants with the sun going down so early lately, yet going for the sun-soaked look. Especially since I can only carry so much equipment with me.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Here are some empty photos. Hope I did this right Reichstag!

Subversive food thing I guess by miso-beno, on Flickr

What's a Horizon? by miso-beno, on Flickr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Miso Beno posted:

Here are some empty photos. Hope I did this right Reichstag!

Subversive food thing I guess by miso-beno, on Flickr

What's a Horizon? by miso-beno, on Flickr

What is a horizon, indeed. Do you bother to even check your lines?

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Musket posted:

What is a horizon, indeed. Do you bother to even check your lines?
Yeah just bring up my crippling fear of straight lines why don't you.

tines by miso-beno, on Flickr

edit:

are you being serious or not. I would seriously love someone to explain things to me via pm or something because apparently I'm still not doing it right.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Use perspective correction to fix this in post, your camera wasn't straight on.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

are you being serious or not. I would seriously love someone to explain things to me via pm or something because apparently I'm still not doing it right.

Are you suggesting that it's kinda close and therefore straight?

Fang
Jul 9, 2001
If you don't think ponderous, clumsy sentence structure loaded with hamfisted thesaurus wankery makes good writing, you're probably just too dumb to read my posts.

/r/iamverysmart

Reichstag posted:

It is kind of hard, because it's palliative rather than curative. I am being a dick, but it's because giving surface-level crit - like the fact that not a single one of your photos is lined up straight - doesn't get at the deeper issue of photographic content. If you just want to make documentation of food, that's fine, but it can be done perfectly well with a p+s or instagram. I just want you, and frankly almost everyone else in this thread and the wider food photography world, to expand the scope and reach of your photos. If there is no point to them beyond a pointing-to of an object in the world, then there is no interpretive or critical act, and you may as well not be making a photo at all.

SoundMonkey posted:

This is a pretty good example of how harsh-but-fair critique can sometimes be the most constructive. I mean let's all try not to be dicks, but still.

But it's not at all constructive. It's contradictory, pretentious, and misses the point.

If you just want to make documentation of food, that's fine, but it can be done perfectly well with a p+s or instagram.

The second part of this sentence doesn't make any sense relative to the first part. It seems to imply that the content of the photo dictates the equipment used, and that a documentary photo--a photo whose sole content is the aesthetic properties of the food--requires less control of technical elements. When you can't distract the viewer with clumsy visual allegory, technical execution is paramount.

If there is no point to them beyond a pointing-to of an object in the world., then there is no interpretive or critical act, and you may as well not be making a photo at all.

Documentation was fine, but now it's not. If your photograph contains interpretation or criticism, then it's not a food photo, but a statement where food serves as a motif or metaphor.

Reichstag's post represents the thing I despise most in art: the conscious subordination of the subject to the artist's interpretation of that subject. No matter how simple the subject matter, the artist's viewpoint will impinge on the art. The belief that one has to intentionally represent his interpretation of the subject just ends up distracting from the subject at best; at worst it produces the sort of masturbatory tripe required to convice people with little technical abilities or artistic subtlety that they are beholding "Art."

Incidentally, these are the same kind of people who can look at some of these photographs of food and see only representation.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

So how about we all stop getting angry at critiques (and getting our friends to get angry about them) and actually post pictures of food before I have to burn the thread down.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Hope I did this food thing right.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

That, sir, is hilarious.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Musket posted:

Sausage octopuses rock.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Some people do those with black spaghetti and the end result is horrifying.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mediaphage posted:

Some people do those with black spaghetti and the end result is horrifying.

I can't even goddamn imagine what the water looks/smells like after doing that.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I can't even goddamn imagine what the water looks/smells like after doing that.

Ricky's bathwater. :snoop:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
This is the stupidest joke i have ever made.

"This is going straight to my hips."
Ack, Cathy, ack!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reichstag posted:

This is the stupidest joke i have ever made.

"This is going straight to my hips."
Ack, Cathy, ack!

Man, those fudge covered animal cookies are pretty delicious, though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pizza Aioli Sammich.

I'm going to kill myself or somebody else for my art.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I had an english muffin today.

DSC_0076.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

DSC_0150.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

The muffins didn't make it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mr. Despair posted:

DSC_0150.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

The muffins didn't make it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Hahahaha, perfect.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Getting ready to make some sofritto.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What is that in the background, potato? Parsnip? Is it really unimportant due to the dof?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rio posted:

What is that in the background, potato? Parsnip? Is it really unimportant due to the dof?

Sofritto is usually made from celery, carrots, and onions.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Why is there a carrot in the celery bowl? You're loving up the holy trinity! Impure!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Why is there a carrot in the celery bowl? You're loving up the holy trinity! Impure!

It got in there when I wasn't looking :(

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Mirepoix. Trinity is green peppers, celery, and onions. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
The real question is where is the garlic. Ain't no soffritto without garlic.

Which gets to the point: all those ingredients need to be discernible to make the photo work.

• Locked thread