Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

citizenlowell posted:

You've hit the nail on the head here. The demo is kinda boring, I'm still excited for the game, but I really hope the focus isn't on Murphy too heavily. I really thought some of the early negative impressions were just people whining about touch controls, but they seem to have a point.

The Murphy levels are essentially the replacement for the mosquito levels from the first time - there's around the same number of them, and most of them aren't mandatory if you just wanna get to the end.

I imagine they're a lot more fun in multiplayer than singleplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah from playing the demo just now(just the murphy level and music level so far) it really seemed more of a streamlined mobile type game, especially the black betty level which could be straight out of jungle run. It was also really spazzy in parts hard to tell what was going on.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

Yeah from playing the demo just now(just the murphy level and music level so far) it really seemed more of a streamlined mobile type game, especially the black betty level which could be straight out of jungle run. It was also really spazzy in parts hard to tell what was going on.

The non-murphy level is fantastic. Great environment, music, and interesting platforming. It seems everyone isn't trying that level.

The touchpad level was fun but it was impossible to fail. The AI would just wait around until you figured things out. I feel like it'd be a lot more fun if it were a sort of Headless Carl dynamic and you needed to protect the AI from danger, guiding them along treacherous territory while they ran blindly in one direction.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 14, 2012

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
Maybe I just have buyer's-defense, given I selected the game as part of my console bundle, but I thought the Rayman demo was a lot of fun! The second level was certainly the best, but both the Murphy and Castle Rock levels had a lot of appeal. Maybe Murphy doesn't bother me as much because I've never played a Rayman game before.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The main reason people are really hesitant about the Murphy levels is because it was reported that they'd constitute the majority of the game, which didn't turn out to be true.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Murphy levels are essentially the replacement for the mosquito levels from the first time - there's around the same number of them, and most of them aren't mandatory if you just wanna get to the end.

Based on the time I got to demo the game back at Comic Con, they are indeed more fun in multiplayer. Coordinating and helping out a real person is a much different feeling from goading an AI along.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

WeAreDevo posted:

Ok, so it would make sense that the Wii Remote Plus with the built in motion plus would be more comfortable, yes, but is it known there a tangible improvement between the 2009/2010 Wii Remote Plus controllers with the built in motion plus and the 2012 version of the same?

No hard data on this, but a few people reported that Skyward Sword was much smoother with a Remote+ (Wiimote with Motion+ built in). There was talk way way back that getting the dongle to work with the nunchuck was really tricky due to bandwidth issues, so the integrated Motion+ might bypass that somehow. Or it might just have a better gyroscope than the original dongle.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The murphy levels are actually pretty fun though, and the gameplay fits, whereas the mosquito levels were a really frustratingly difficult 2D shooter in a game that's supposed to be an awesome platformer.

It's like you're playing Mario Galaxy and they just force you to beat a Need for Speed grand prix race on Hard if you want to continue.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 14, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There seems to be an update for youtube app. Don't know if it's new or if I've just been out of the loop. Installing now, maybe they made it not suck.

edit: interface still sucks, still no videos on tablet, still no touch control, but video quality is improved at least and loaded quicker. Also it had no problem playing age restricted videos

greatn fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 14, 2012

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

greatn posted:

Installing now, maybe they made it not suck.

Hah, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

greatn posted:

I don't think it will download patches either unless you've logged in and gotten to the menu at least.

Yeah I think next time I'll leave it at the menu and see if it still does this.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Just turn off your drat console and quit wasting power.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Katana Gomai posted:

Just turn off your drat console and quit wasting power.

Speaking of this, do we know what the Wii U power consumption looks like if left on 24/7?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Chronojam posted:

Speaking of this, do we know what the Wii U power consumption looks like if left on 24/7?

Googling says that the Wii U uses half the power of the 360 and PS3 (no idea which models they tested against). Apparently Eurogamer claims the Wii U uses 32 watts during gameplay that is strenuous across all three platforms. It can be assumed it uses WAY less if just left idle.

Not surprised, actually. It's not as though the Wii U appears to be a power hog. Also, that's just the console, I imagine, and doesn't include what the controller uses (though probably not much at all).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Chronojam posted:

http://bgr.com/2012/12/10/nintendo-wii-u-power-usage/

It's extraordinary low, like the Wii. Based on the power usage in that article I'd wager the 24/7 mode is comparable to what the Wii sucks up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay am I going crazy, or did they tweak the tune in the Castle Rock stage of the Rayman Legends demo to be slightly different to the version in the in-store demo? Granted, it could've just been due to the ambient noise in the EB I tried it.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Any word on how the Wii U has been selling in the weeks since its launch? I only ask because I was in three stores trying to find a copy of the 3DS Professor Layton, and while I couldn't find that, I came across enough basic and deluxe Wii U's to build an extension onto my house. Nintendo is either leagues better with their supply and distribution than they were with the Wii, or some combination of a lovely economy and an uninterested/uninformed consumer base is leaving these systems to gather dust on the shelves.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's a combination of better supply and lesser demand. The Wii U launch has outsold the 360 and PS3 launches but only sold at about 2/3rds the rate of the original Wii launch, which will most likely remain a unique and singular phenomenon and people need to understand that.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
It would also really help if people'd identify where they're talking about when it comes to availability/not of hardware.

In Vancouver, Canada, there's none to be had in the shops, but Craigslisters are only asking for around $50 premium on top of the MSRP.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Discount Viscount posted:

This. I think the attachments are slightly prone to breaking, though, or at least I've heard reports of some of them failing. They lock securely onto the remotes but there's still some wiggle room that isn't normally a problem but could theoretically succumb to sudden force. I can't recall ever having problems with them myself.

Look for cheap copies of Wii Sports Resort and Red Steel 2 with it included.
What Rake Arms said about the Wiimote+ supposedly working better, as well, but I had a relatively new + attachment die out of nowhere. With it connected it would bring up the error that I didn't have the nunchuk attached, and very soon after it wouldn't go away. I read a few reports about other people that it happened to at the time, but no fix. Luckily I picked up a cheap Wiimote+ through that Flingsmash deal, but I was somewhere around 85% done with the second quest in Zelda and never bothered to return to it. The Wiimote+ is also quite noticeably lighter and less cumbersome.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Speaking as someone who got to play it in multiplayer as Murphy at New York Comic Con, I can vouch that, with actual people, it's REALLY good.

I HATED the way they implemented it here though, it felt really cheap that they just switched me over to Murphy to guide a nigh-invincible AI over to places. I don't see why they couldn't have just slowed things down a little and let me control Rayman and Murphy at the same time in single player? Heck, I would've preferred it if they forced me to be Rayman and just said "hey, can't get certain stuff in this level without a second player". I mean, that's still bad, but at least the level stays fun.

I hope they either make good on the online multiplayer that was mentioned way back at the beginning of last year, or there are VERY few Murphy-necessary levels. What was there was still really good (LOVE Castle Rock), but the Murphy level just felt so...hollow.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Junkie Disease posted:

With Nintendo and Namco's recent dating I would add that this petition isn't for a pipe dream. Nintendo wants more "mature" titles and has shown that they have been willing to even publish them lately if thats what it takes. With Dark Souls 1 and 2 being on so many best of"" lists I would assume that they know if its appeal.

Plus imagine the griefing potential if you could access all your items/weapons/armor at any time on the pad instead of just the shortcuts.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Almost Smart posted:

Any word on how the Wii U has been selling in the weeks since its launch? I only ask because I was in three stores trying to find a copy of the 3DS Professor Layton, and while I couldn't find that, I came across enough basic and deluxe Wii U's to build an extension onto my house. Nintendo is either leagues better with their supply and distribution than they were with the Wii, or some combination of a lovely economy and an uninterested/uninformed consumer base is leaving these systems to gather dust on the shelves.

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's a combination of better supply and lesser demand. The Wii U launch has outsold the 360 and PS3 launches but only sold at about 2/3rds the rate of the original Wii launch, which will most likely remain a unique and singular phenomenon and people need to understand that.

Pretty much what Quest For Glory II is saying, but the hardware sellthrough in Japan is about 90% according to Media Create. The sellthrough percentages in the other markets are likely gonna be significantly lower than that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Would anyone be mad that I managed to walk into a Sam's Club at noon on Black Friday and pick up the last WiiU in stock which happened to be sitting on a display stand on top of some XBoxes?

As I walked out, an employee came up to us (I was with my family) and told use he'd been waiting a while to see who'd pick that up. Apparently he'd found 5 of them hidden away in storage and discretely put them out as not to cause a rampage and just waited for them to be taken, and we got the last one. I have no idea why I only ever get lucky like this on Black Friday. :iiam:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I for one am FURIOUS.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Does anybody know how big the Sonic demo is? Also, if I download the demo and then decide to purchase it, is it just a download a small unlock thing or do I have to download the entire thing again?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The demo is ~1100MB, off the top of my head. The full game is substantially bigger.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The demo is ~1100MB, off the top of my head. The full game is substantially bigger.

Thanks, since it is going to take almost 4 hours to download this demo I am tempted to just go ahead and buy the thing so I will only have to wait all night once.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if they improved the speeds or there's just less demand on the servers since I did the initial upgrade a few nights ago (that took about an hour) but I downloaded the 575mb Rayman demo in about 10 minutes last night. I was about to dock the gamepad and wait it out when the estimated time came up as 9 minutes and I was pretty surprised.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

loudog999 posted:

Thanks, since it is going to take almost 4 hours to download this demo I am tempted to just go ahead and buy the thing so I will only have to wait all night once.

FOUR hours?! I downloaded and installed it in less than the time it took me to shower, with the Rayman demo also downloading at the same time. (That's about 10 minutes.) Are you playing on Dial-up?

BTW in case it matters this was done around 3:30 this afternoon.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Boba1213 posted:

FOUR hours?! I downloaded and installed it in less than the time it took me to shower, with the Rayman demo also downloading at the same time. (That's about 10 minutes.) Are you playing on Dial-up?

BTW in case it matters this was done around 3:30 this afternoon.

I just started it again and its less than an hour.. seems to be more on par for my connection.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well just 100% finished New Super Mario Bros. Wii U. I was surprised that I clocked in at almost exactly as long as it took me to do it on NSMB2 on the 3DS (14 1/2 hours). Lets just hope that all the bonus modes can stretch this game out for another 8 hours like Coin Rush did.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Haha, if you leave the Mii Maker sitting without pressing a button your Miis will slowly start to move around one by one. Until you press a button. Then they all freak out and go back into statue mode. Cute!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Jet Set Jettison posted:

http://www.change.org/petitions/dark-souls-ii-for-the-nintendo-wiiu

Not that this will really do anything, but in case you one system bums want a sequel to a pretty good game / more third party support on Wii U, here is a petition to bring Dark Souls 2 to the Wii U.

Signed. Why not I figure? I'd buy it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Astro7x posted:

Well just 100% finished New Super Mario Bros. Wii U. I was surprised that I clocked in at almost exactly as long as it took me to do it on NSMB2 on the 3DS (14 1/2 hours). Lets just hope that all the bonus modes can stretch this game out for another 8 hours like Coin Rush did.

Few questions.

Whats involved in 100% Just levels or aslo getting big coins?

What the hell do big coins do?

General question. Is there a demo section in the eshop? I couldnt find it and had to search for Rayman to find the demo, thats not cool, I like to browse demos.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Bombadilillo posted:

General question. Is there a demo section in the eshop? I couldnt find it and had to search for Rayman to find the demo, thats not cool, I like to browse demos.

On the EU shop it's at the bottom of the front page.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Few questions.

Whats involved in 100% Just levels or aslo getting big coins?

What the hell do big coins do?

The big coins are used to unlock levels, and getting 100% basically means Beating world 9 completely, which involves collecting every big coin in the game.

It isn't exactly tons of post-game content but Mario has never been big on that.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Bobnumerotres posted:

It isn't exactly tons of post-game content but Mario has never been big on that.

Mario Land 3D was big on that. Beating the game essentially unlocked a second game. Every single level had a doppelganger with a new challenge to it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Revol posted:

Mario Land 3D was big on that. Beating the game essentially unlocked a second game. Every single level had a doppelganger with a new challenge to it.
Galaxy 2 did as well, which was nice since Galaxy 1's post game content was basically "Play the game again with slightly different physics." Some of the Green Stars in Galaxy 2 are intensely diabolical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So I was messing around on the Club Nintendo site and I realized that I never registered my old DS Lite. I put the serial number in and it said I just qualified for a warranty extension. Could I actually take advantage of that? The right shoulder button on that thing has been busted for years.

• Locked thread