Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Tedgewick posted:

I'd love some help with an upcoming cellquandry if anyone has advice to give. I'm someone's tech support department and their 3 year Rogers contract is winding down in March. Currently they have an iPhone 3gs and love it. They are not tech savvy enough to use a lot of data or care if its delivered at 3g or 4g speed so the plan is to keep the current handset to save money and avoid another contract. So I'm going to be the one to haggle on their behalf with Rogers' retention to get a better month-to-month deal than their current and expensive free evenings after 9pm plan. Can someone give me a rough ballpark figure of a good value retention plan these days? What is the going price for a mostly-voice, low text, low data use plan in Ontario?

I've been on the Mobilicity $33 Friends and Family unlimited everything plan forever so I have no idea what things actually cost anymore. Thanks.
What about putting them on some cheap Fido plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

Tedgewick posted:

I'd love some help with an upcoming cellquandry if anyone has advice to give. I'm someone's tech support department and their 3 year Rogers contract is winding down in March. Currently they have an iPhone 3gs and love it. They are not tech savvy enough to use a lot of data or care if its delivered at 3g or 4g speed so the plan is to keep the current handset to save money and avoid another contract. So I'm going to be the one to haggle on their behalf with Rogers' retention to get a better month-to-month deal than their current and expensive free evenings after 9pm plan. Can someone give me a rough ballpark figure of a good value retention plan these days? What is the going price for a mostly-voice, low text, low data use plan in Ontario?

I've been on the Mobilicity $33 Friends and Family unlimited everything plan forever so I have no idea what things actually cost anymore. Thanks.

Don't count on Rogers's retention giving you much of anything if you aren't willing to go on contract. Just have them switch to one of the big 3 flanker brands. For example Koodo has a $30 a month plan with 150 Canada wide minutes, unlimited SMS and MMS, 200MB of data, and Caller ID/Voicemail is included. Probably can't do much better from the big 3 at that price level even through retentions.

Tedgewick
Oct 29, 2012

MoxSquad posted:

Don't count on Rogers's retention giving you much of anything if you aren't willing to go on contract. Just have them switch to one of the big 3 flanker brands. For example Koodo has a $30 a month plan with 150 Canada wide minutes, unlimited SMS and MMS, 200MB of data, and Caller ID/Voicemail is included. Probably can't do much better from the big 3 at that price level even through retentions.

This is the part where I now confess to not being technically savvy enough to know that an unlocked Rogers 3gs can work on Bell's network. That opens up a lot of options. Thanks very much.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
An unlocked 3/3gs/4/5 will work on everyone except WIND/Mobi/Videotron.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

MoxSquad posted:

For example Koodo has a $30 a month plan with 150 Canada wide minutes, unlimited SMS and MMS, 200MB of data, and Caller ID/Voicemail is included. Probably can't do much better from the big 3 at that price level even through retentions.

Thanks for pointing this out. I was on a very similar plan, minus the data for the same price. So I just switched, and now can check my email even without wireless :).

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Sassafras posted:

What's the best plan + subsidized hardware deal I can get for an iPhone 5 in BC? I'm a pretty happy Mobilicity customer but my phone is getting long in the tooth and I missed the boat on the initial batch of 8GB Nexus 4s and didn't want to buy a 16 in the second batch.

Would want free LD to at least a few numbers and either tons of data or a plan with tiers that step up in $5/GB style increments. We also have a longstanding line with Telus if that would help get a retentions deal adding another.

I could also just chill out and do nothing if this isn't a good time...

I'd say the current best deal is getting a 2-year contract with Fido with a free Galaxy Nexus on that awesome $56 plan. Sell the GN, and buy an unsubsidized iPhone 5.

Yeah, it's a hassle and requires a bit more money up front - but it's more than worth it for the deal, IMO. Hard to beat the total-cost-of-ownership on that one.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Is Bell no longer offering the $65 6GB plan? I know it's a bit pricier than the Fido one but it has a lot more data and unlimited calling to 10 numbers.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

ZShakespeare posted:

Is Bell no longer offering the $65 6GB plan? I know it's a bit pricier than the Fido one but it has a lot more data and unlimited calling to 10 numbers.

6gb? On Virgin I get 1gb for 65 bucks :(

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

ZShakespeare posted:

Nope, haven't offered that in a while now. We still have the 65 with caller ID and voicemail, which in my experience has been much more popular. There's more people out there that want call display than a lot of data.

The highest we offer right now is 5GB for $95, which includes unlimited nationwide calling and texts.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Geektox posted:

6gb? On Virgin I get 1gb for 65 bucks :(

You're on a "Combo" plan aren't you? The "Choice" Virgin plans are a much better deal.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

DarkJC posted:

You're on a "Combo" plan aren't you? The "Choice" Virgin plans are a much better deal.

Yeah, I went on the combo plan because I wanted to pay less for my S3 up front. I saw that Virgin had new promo plans today so I called in to try to change. I was told that I would have to pay off my SuperTab (~$427) as well as some sort of "data charge" (~$430) because I had a discount on the phone up front.

When I signed up I was told that I would only have to pay the Supertab should I want to switch, and because the dollar amounts for the two charges are so similar I'm inclined to believe the rep just didn't know what she was talking about.

I'm OK with paying $430 to switch to cheaper plans, but not so much for close to $900.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So apparently this is a thing:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/12/09/canadians-to-the-crtc-get-rid-of-the-36-months-contract/

Would be nice. Too bad they can't add "No charging for services they're purposely removing" to that (Caller ID for example)

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Does anyone in the Ottawa/Gatineau area have words to say about WIND's coverage here? I'm finally free of my indentured servitude to Bell, and I'm looking to switch providers.

On a less serious note I still don't understand how the big 3 haven't been dispossessed by a massive popular upheaval yet. We will burn poo poo if the Canucks lose, but being held in a chokehold and bled dry for the rest of our lives by some of the richest people on Earth? No problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

On a less serious note I still don't understand how the big 3 haven't been dispossessed by a massive popular upheaval yet. We will burn poo poo if the Canucks lose, but being held in a chokehold and bled dry for the rest of our lives by some of the richest people on Earth? No problem.

You're actually surprised at this? Canadians are pretty passive/apathetic in general.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're actually surprised at this? Canadians are pretty passive/apathetic in general.

Yeah, no kidding. Also, overpaying for things is practically a treasured national pastime.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Apathy, some people get relatively good and stable service so they just don't care, plus the fact that the discount brands may not be suitable for some people (require better reception, want better handsets, don't want to pay heavy costs for a phone with little or no subsidy) are probably the main reasons people stick with the Big 3.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

No service in my area is the only reason I'm not on Wind.

MoxSquad
Jun 17, 2005

Heavy neutrino posted:

Does anyone in the Ottawa/Gatineau area have words to say about WIND's coverage here? I'm finally free of my indentured servitude to Bell, and I'm looking to switch providers.

Check coveragemapper.com for an idea of what WIND's reception quality is like in your area.

Most people don't switch to the small 3 even if they are in their coverage areas. Either because they can't use an iPhone or perception of bad reception or of course are locked into a three-year contract. That and I think there's also a perception that WIND, Mobilicity, and Public are for "poors" and students. I work in Toronto's financial district, and a lot of my co-workers won't switch because hey "I can afford premium service".

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Well, to be honest, the big three's service really is premium over what's offered by WIND and Mobilicity and the like. If I lived in the core of downtown Toronto I'd still be on one of the big three (or their subsidiaries) because I'd like to count on my phone working in most of the places I might travel to in Canada, not just the city I live in.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there any way I can get my American Google Voice number to redirect to a Canadian cell phone? I'll be travelling and it would be nice to have my existing GV connect to the phone number I'll have in Canada.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there any way I can get my American Google Voice number to redirect to a Canadian cell phone? I'll be travelling and it would be nice to have my existing GV connect to the phone number I'll have in Canada.

Only if it's a 403 number. And then only maybe.

Depending how long you'll be gone, you can get a Callcentric DID for like $5 plus 4c per minute.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

less than three posted:

Only if it's a 403 number. And then only maybe.

Depending how long you'll be gone, you can get a Callcentric DID for like $5 plus 4c per minute.

How does GV work? I was able to get a GV number and I do have a 403 number. What can I do with it?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

infinite99 posted:

How does GV work? I was able to get a GV number and I do have a 403 number. What can I do with it?

I haven't used it personally but going by memory I think what happens is you give people your GV number instead of your real number. Then it can do things like screen calls for you, have more control over voicemail, if you change phone services you can keep your GV number the same (if for some reason you lost your cell number). It can transcribe voicemails for you and send you a text message or something so you don't have to listen to the VM. Lets you make cheap international calls through google voice. You can have your text messages get forwarded to email.

More stuff here: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
GV is awesome. You can add any american or 403 (or some canadian (as mentioned, my waterloo number works fine (more parentheses!))) number to it, so anyone who calls your GV # will ring every phone you've added. Like, I have my work and home phones added; if you're going to be in a place with a landline for an extended time, you can add that, etc.

GV will forward SMS messages, too, but not MMS messages. You can also send and reply, entirely for free, either online or via the Google Voice app.

GV will record your voicemails for you and automatically transcribe them via computer. Sometimes this works well, mostly, though, it's just pretty funny. These can be sent to you via email, so you'll get an email on your phone with the contents of your voicemail, which is great. Even with the haphazard voice rec, you'll usually get an idea of the contents. You can also just listen to them la visual voicemail online or via the app.

GV can be set to only forward calls based on group - so you can set your family/important friends to a special group that can call you, while other calls don't get through.

Finally, if someone is calling your GV number that you, for whatever reason, don't wish to ever talk to, you can mark them as spam, in which case they get sent straight to voicemail and listed as spam (and you don't get a voicemail notification), or you can 'block' them, in which case whenever they try to call your number, they get a 'doo-doo-doo, this number is not in service' message.

And it's all completely free.

shark week
Dec 22, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

I switched off of Wind because I wasn't happy with the reception. I would get 1 or 2 bars just west of downtown in my house and 0-2 bars at work downtown. Wind doesn't penetrate walls well. If you ever spend time south of the airport or in Orleans you won't get any service.

The combination of a new phone, good plan and reception, and LTE has me not caring about the extra $13 a month over Wind.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just downloaded gta vice city in 12 minutes. Totally worth the 900 some dollars telus is going to charge me for the 1.4 gigs of data

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I've just received my visa approval through, and will be emigrating from the UK to Canada in the new year. I'll be moving to the Vancouver area.

I'm just having a little look around at cell plans, to try and get a feel for what's available. I'd heard that Canadian mobile phone plans were shite, but even I'm surprised at quite how expensive and restrictive they are.

In the UK I have a SIM only plan (i bought my handset outright) on a rolling 1 month contract, and I pay 20 a month for 800 cross-network minutes, unlimited texts, 1gb of 3G data and tethering. I have absolutely no desire to be locked into a 3 year plan when I move over there, so would like to bring my iPhone 5 with me (it's not carrier locked) and get a SIM only plan, preferably with similar features as my UK plan (voice minutes are less important; i could get by with far less than 800mins, but 1gb of data and tethering are essential).

I've looked on Telus, Rogers and Bell's websites, and neither of them mention anything about SIM only plans. Is that sort of thing not available over there? Or would I need to speak to a sales guy in store or something?

Could anyone speculate what I'm likely to have to pay a month? (i'm trying to get a rough idea of my finances)

FWIW, all my wife's family over there are on Telus, because Rogers has lovely signal on the Sunshine Coast where several of them live. We'll be spending a lot of time out there too, so I guess Telus is preferable.

Sorry, that's a lot of questions! Any input would be gratefully received!

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

We all offer SIM only plans. If you have your own phone it can be used with any plan with no contract required. What you're describing can be obtained with roughly $65 a month with any of the major carriers. I know Bell offers a 10% discount on any plan $50 or above if activated with no contract, not sure if the others do.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Koodo (Telus discount brand), Bell, and Virgin (Bell discount brand) all use the same network in BC (as in almost all of Canada). So use whichever is the cheapest I guess, there are horror stories about every company and everyone has a brand they hate less than the rest.

Kreez fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 16, 2012

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Great, thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'd just heard so much about Canadian cell phone plans that I just assumed the worst.. $65 is still pretty steep, but it's doable.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Anyone know if those Fido / Koodo $56 plans include tethering? In other words, it's not explicitly blocked is it?

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

moron posted:

Great, thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'd just heard so much about Canadian cell phone plans that I just assumed the worst.. $65 is still pretty steep, but it's doable.

I imagine you understood my post, but just to clarify, the 3 companies I listed all use the same network as Telus, and you should pick the cheapest of those 3 + Telus, as you won't want to use anything else if you'll be in remote areas for a decent amount of time.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

moron posted:

If you're bringing your own phone, check out Virgin. I have my own unlocked iPhone 5 I'm using with them, bringing your own phone gives you 10% off your base plan price.

You also get to choose their 'cheaper' plans since you're not locked into a smartphone contract, which they call their "Choice" plans. I have one for $25 a month that gives me 100 minutes (unlimited evenings after 7pm and unlimited weekends) canada wide, voicemail, caller id, unlimited text, and a flexible data plan that charges you based on how much data you use. Up to 1GB/month is $20, if you go over that you pay $30 but can use up to 3 GB, and tethering is fully supported.

So all in all you'd be looking at a bill thats $42.50/$52.50 depending on how much data you use, plus tax.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Anyone know if those Fido / Koodo $56 plans include tethering? In other words, it's not explicitly blocked is it?

One of the (very) few perks of Canadian data is that tethering is always included at no extra charge. I think MTS is an exception but most of us aren't in Manitoba.

moron, I'd echo the sentiment to go with Virgin, if only for the 10% discount for bringing your own device. Normally I'd recommend Koodo but their plans are absolutely identical and Koodo doesn't offer a discount for bringing your own device.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 17, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Godinster posted:

One of the (very) few perks of Canadian data is that tethering is always included at no extra charge.

I was told by Rogers that I had to have at least a 1GB plan to tether. My 500mb plan wouldn't do it, which is almost understandable I suppose. Ended up getting a 6gb plan since I'm suddenly using my laptop a ton in a place with no wifi, but that's another story.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

moron posted:

Mobile phones, cheese and chocolate were the main things I missed when I emigrated 6 years ago

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Alctel posted:

Mobile phones, cheese and chocolate were the main things I missed when I emigrated 6 years ago

Oh God. As a fellow UK expat, I couldn't agree more. Those three....

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Come to Quebec, we have some pretty good cheese (though probably the worst deals on everything else)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Alctel posted:

richmond and tsawassen both have some pretty great importers for all your chocolate and cheese needs. also pickled muscles if your tastes run like my father's