Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

nuncle jimbo posted:

Besides bolt action's rules, do you guys have any recommendations for squad-platoon level ww2 games?

Rules of Engagement from Great Escape Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Well the WWPD guys visited Battlefront and apparently were allowed to photo some T-54's (and other soviet vehicles) and what appear to be Brits/Commonwealth troopers with FAL rifles.

So more Post-WWII stuff coming out at some point in the future.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Numlock posted:

Well the WWPD guys visited Battlefront and apparently were allowed to photo some T-54's (and other soviet vehicles) and what appear to be Brits/Commonwealth troopers with FAL rifles.

So more Post-WWII stuff coming out at some point in the future.

What, you mean these?

It's probably ANZAC and NVA stuff for Vietnam. Which is good that they're adding more nations, but dammit Korea has way more options.

In othe news, we know what the upcoming Market Garden books are called, now.

Arquinsiel posted:

Part of why the 101st got such an impressive rep for Bastogne is that they spent the first few days of the fighting wearing summer gear since they were literally stuffed on trucks and driven into the fighting without any preptime. The scene in Band of Brothers where they're hustling the retreating GIs for ammo actually happened - the idea of Germany having the forces to mount any sort of offensive at the time was so out there that it just threw SHAEF right out of whack and they scrambled to throw units at it.

Now that you mention it, I remember that now. I feel like an idiot for forgetting, considering I watched the series and read the book a few months ago. I guess I fixated on the fact they only had rifles. still, my earlier point stands.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's nice to see that they've consolidated the two Market Garden books into....

...two books? What?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Well it was two operations - one airborne and one ground. Or maybe one is axis oriented and the other allied

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but why republish two relatively recent books in a slightly different format? It's starting to get a bit too GW-like for my tastes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah but why republish two relatively recent books in a slightly different format? It's starting to get a bit too GW-like for my tastes.

None of the old books are illegal to use, unlike GW. If it's just been reformatted, you don't need to buy the book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arquinsiel posted:

It's nice to see that they've consolidated the two Market Garden books into....

...two books? What?

hey did roughly the same thing with the D-Day books (dividing them into axis and Allied)

Of course, looking at the subtitles on the cover, I think it's clear that the rumours that it's going to cover the Battle of the Scheldt as well are well-founded.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I got the Saga Viking starter army to go with my Gripping Beast Hirdmen box, and I like the metal Hirdmen so much I'd love to use them as a bodyguard for my warlord.

I'm looking at the following

Warlord
Unit of 4 Hirdmen
Unit of 8 Hirdmen
Unit of 4 Berserkers
Unit of 8 Bondi
Unit of 8 Bondi

For a six point force. I'm tempted to switch one of either the Berserker or Hirdmen units for 12 levy archers, but don't have the models yet.

Still waiting for the Saga rules to arrive. How does that look for a force (33 models in the army).

I've got the Sons of Death, Flemish spearmen, Norman slingers and the knights box, so my Norman force is approaching a similar size (next on the shopping list, crossbows).

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Looks like a solid selection to me. Saga feels so balanced to me that it seems pretty hard to make a duff list.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Cool.

Just got to resist the temptation to get anything else before I paint my Vikings and Normans.

On basing, can anyone recommend some basing bits (resin pieces, whatever) for jazzing up 40mm cavalry bases (this is for warlords and norman cavalry)?

I was thinking of this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251176873330?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

but you obviously wouldn't run horses over ground like that, though you might trot them across it.

Also still without having the rules, are there any of the special characters I should get? And dice, because they're Ł12 for 6 for the official ones, both how many do you need and is there a cheaper (but still nice) alternative?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

It's Ł12 for 8 and you never need more than 8. You could make your own- my friend has and they look great. He's basically made every set you need for pretty much less than the cost of 1 official set.
As for special characters, if you want them then use any suitable mini- this ain't Games Workshop!
Gripping beast do make some figures of some of the special characters and they look great but you don't need to use them.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well on my incredibly convoluted journey to work today I picked up Ragnar Lothbrok and the Conquest Norman infantry plastic box. The Norman set has enough kite shields for everyone plus some spares, and enough to do the whole box as spearmen.

I'm actually very impressed with it, the lack of flash, the layout of the sprue and the look of the models is very nice, and at less than 50p a model it does put GW to shame.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Thundercloud posted:

Well on my incredibly convoluted journey to work today I picked up Ragnar Lothbrok and the Conquest Norman infantry plastic box. The Norman set has enough kite shields for everyone plus some spares, and enough to do the whole box as spearmen.

I'm actually very impressed with it, the lack of flash, the layout of the sprue and the look of the models is very nice, and at less than 50p a model it does put GW to shame.

Will stick those spare shields int he post ASAP- I havent forgotten!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Will stick those spare shields int he post ASAP- I havent forgotten!

I was actually going to ask if you wanted some Norman infantry with round shields to use as Bretons.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Thundercloud posted:

I was actually going to ask if you wanted some Norman infantry with round shields to use as Bretons.

Nah Im going with an all mounted hearthguard and warrior list. Cheers though for the thought.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN
Dunno if this is the place to post about it, but has anyone played any of the games from Strategy & Tactics' magazine Modern War?

http://strategyandtacticspress.com/modern-war/

Are they any good? Thinking of getting the Somali pirates one.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like a Clancyesque wankfest, so it should be amusing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are there games in there? I bought an issue of S&T before and it was pretty much just straight military history. There were some miniatures advertised, but that's about as close as it came to wargaming.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

One of the best historical wargames blogs Ive ever read.

http://www.michaelscott.name/1809/1809.html

Check it out.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

moths posted:

Are there games in there? I bought an issue of S&T before and it was pretty much just straight military history.

Their cover story is usually tied to a wargame that you can order separately.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Anyone up for some Vietnam wargaming?

http://theminiaturespage.com/market/msg.mv?id=59345

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Guess who got their shiny new copy of Bolt Action in the mail today. This goon! Up yours weekend plans.

Only had a small flick through and I must say it is a very nicely presented book, I can't wait to actually get a chance to play.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Some of my gaming group are thinking of giving Flames of War a shot as a break from our usual 40k. I'm not too familiar on the rules, but would the game allow or be easy to alter to allow more than two players at a time to play?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Springfield Fatts posted:

Some of my gaming group are thinking of giving Flames of War a shot as a break from our usual 40k. I'm not too familiar on the rules, but would the game allow or be easy to alter to allow more than two players at a time to play?

Just as easy as 40k. There's nothing stopping people from using allies, or just having an all-out brawl.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Good to hear. Now I just need to learn how to paint things that aren't covered in skulls.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just play SS, then you won't have to learn to paint not-skulls! :pseudo:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Colonial Air Force posted:

Just as easy as 40k. There's nothing stopping people from using allies, or just having an all-out brawl.

In fact, they even released their apocalypse equivalent's rules on their website for free, if you want to do big games.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's actually the opposite, we're trying to get games below five hours a night. I assume FoW would need less space and time to play if we don't go too crazy with it. I am a bit worried about the "eras" of the army. Again, I haven't gotten the book yet but I guess they have some way of monitoring if I'm playing and American force from '44 and my opponent is playing one from '41 somehow.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Depends on the shade of green the Shermans are painted.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Early/Mid/Late split. Can't play outside your period. FoW games work well on large tables, but timewise they're pretty fast.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

It's actually the opposite, we're trying to get games below five hours a night. I assume FoW would need less space and time to play if we don't go too crazy with it. I am a bit worried about the "eras" of the army. Again, I haven't gotten the book yet but I guess they have some way of monitoring if I'm playing and American force from '44 and my opponent is playing one from '41 somehow.

Point costs differs a lot between the periods, which corresponds to the war changing. Tanks becoming more common, things like that. So a tank that is awesome and cost a ton in Early war might be cheap but crappy in Mid and completely obsolete in Late. Pitching Early against Late armies would be a slaughter.

Just choose one period (Mid seems popular) and then make sure that everyone choose a Mid list when buying their minis.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Don't they have a reduced cost type thing when fielding early war stuff in late, or am I thinking of another game?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's de-facto that, but in practice it's that lists are period-specific and you can sometimes use older tanks.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I always recommend to new players of Flames of War to pick a period which interests them.

What battles are the most interesting in WWII? Start there.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I would advise avoiding soviets though, Battlefront screwed the pooch on them when they introduced new national rules for them that made them terrible and generally not fun to play.

Might not matter that much for new players, as the German and Western Allied players won't know the ins and out of destroying your average Soviet list.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Last two weeks I have been painting ACW 28mm troops. Next year the guys down in Christchurch are putting on a Gettysburg refight. I decided to field Sickles 3rd Corp.

They are using Fire and Fury as the rule set. Not my favourite rules to use for a large scale engagement but it was their choice as hosts.

They are using the 15mm organisation but with 28mm figures. The flags are just temporary till I get the rest of the units finished and do a proper flag order when I know how much I need.

Fire and Fury make up a Brigade with a certain amount of bases. This I am sure makes sense some where but for a 10 base unit in general would be be made up of 5 regiments. That is a flag every 2nd base which looks odd.

So I have decided to have 1 flag in 3, so every 3 bases = regiment which looks better but means I only have 3 regiments out of 5 represented.

Enough talking here are the pics:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just wanted to say thanks for the FoW info. I think we'll get the open fire set because it seems like a hell of a deal and go from there.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

LintMan posted:

Enough talking here are the pics:

Those are really good.

Just wanted to say thanks for the FoW info. I think we'll get the open fire set because it seems like a hell of a deal and go from there.

If you and a friend each buy one and then split up the pieces, you both get armies of a decent size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Doesn't the German end up with two armies in that scenario?