Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Thanks for the thermometer suggestions, everyone! I think I might go with the thermoworks one, it seems best for what I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Bulgur can be pretty good to toss into salads too. Anything where you might want to compensate for some excess moisture, like tuna salad or a tomato-heavy tabouleh.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there some scale or chart of which bones are the best for making gelatinous stock? I used a bunch of beef knees and was kinda disappointed by the non-jelloeyness

Beef vs pork vs veal vs chicken?

Knees vs necks vs ribs vs other bones?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 12, 2012

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Steve Yun posted:

Is there some scale or chart of which bones are the best for making gelatinous stock? I used a bunch of beef knees and was kinda disappointed by the non-jelloeyness

Ribs, definitely not. Very little collagen to turn into gelatin.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have gallons upon gallons of regular Meyer lemon Limoncello, as well as Meyer lemon and GINGER Limoncello. As delicious as they are, my recent drunk thread posts suggest I need do do more than just chug the stuff. Suggestions for non-sipping use? Ideas for use in savory recipes? Omg HELP I HAVE SO MANY MEYER LEMONS.

Anyone want a free care package of lemony vodka deliciousness? HELP ME.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Marinate some chicken in it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

fizzymercy posted:

I have gallons upon gallons of regular Meyer lemon Limoncello, as well as Meyer lemon and GINGER Limoncello. As delicious as they are, my recent drunk thread posts suggest I need do do more than just chug the stuff. Suggestions for non-sipping use? Ideas for use in savory recipes? Omg HELP I HAVE SO MANY MEYER LEMONS.

PM sent.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

Marinate some chicken in it?

I've done a lot of that, and it was good (save the one...flaming chicken...incident.), but I'm looking for more inspiration. Cause seriously, chicken and vodka and preserving lemons for future lamb use are the only ideas I've had so far.

It doesn't help that these are TRUE meyer lemons and thus not great for pies or anything that relies on a lot of acidity. They're sweet enough to eat like a handfruit.

OH WOE IS ME, MY PERFECT CITRUS IS TOO BOUNTIFUL!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Steve Yun posted:

For chicken stock, feet and wingtips are the major sources of collagen. When I make stock from fresh ingredients, rather than from a leftover carcass, I usually buy a couple pounds of wings and a couple pounds of chicken feet. The meat on the wings makes the flavor a bit richer, and the collagen is just beautiful.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Clockwork Cupcake posted:

Thanks for the thermometer suggestions, everyone! I think I might go with the thermoworks one, it seems best for what I'd like.

Oh, one thing that I didn't think about...

Make sure you have a good secure way of clipping it to your pot. It doesn't come with a pot clip, just a pocket clip on the cap like the ones on a writing pen, which might not be that great.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 13, 2012

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yep, wings and feet for chicken. For pork, trotters are where the gelatin's at. Veal has more gelatin than beef.

Also you can always just reduce your stock to the level of gelatin you want, so just reduce your current batch. That's why I never add salt when making stock. I cook it with the pot full of water, then I reduce it to different concentrations depending on what I'm cooking (or reduce it a ton if I lack freezer space and dilute as needed when cooking), and season it once I use it in the finished dish.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ok, will reduce this batch and look for feet/trotters next time. Thanks!

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

dino. posted:

This isn't as hard as it seems at the outset. Just do a little reading, and it will all fall into place fairly quickly. :) How lucky your aunt is to have you in her life, because you clearly care about her and want her to be happy.

Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it. It's my little sister I'm asking about, she's really good at making desserts but can't use flour anymore :(

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I was planning on cooking a stuffed shoulder of pork on Christmas day, really slow and low. I've just been given a boned LEG of pork, by a well-meaning relative. I'm assuming that I can cook the leg in exactly the same way I was planning to do the shoulder. Is that correct?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

fizzymercy posted:

PM sent so hard.

This would most likely work out great in Thai type curries, where the natural sweetness is a benefit (so that you wouldn't need to add much sugar), while still giving a lovely lemony flavour. It would also likely taste amazing when added to white bean soup (white beans, onions, garlic, lots of rosemary, olive oil, a slug or two of the ginger limoncello). Again, the sweetness would work way in your favour.

OMG. The ginger one would be PERFECT in a Qurma. The creaminess of the curry would be great with the sweetness of the limoncello. Seriously, give it a shot. I made a qurma yesterday that was coming out a bit too acidy, until I added a bit of sugar to it, at which point the whole thing just got perfect. I'm generally not a fan of sweet in curries, but a little goes a long way.

I would love you forever if you sent me some though. Especially the ginger. Dear god I love ginger.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I was also thinking that a lot of salt preserved lemons could be made, so that later one could make lemon chanh muối. (which is of course the best thing)

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW
Anyone got any good ideas for gluten free sides/treats I can take to a Christmas party on Sunday?
The hosts are making Chili. I'm already taking a batch of my awesome home-made hot sauce.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Some kind of pulled pork?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

dino. posted:

PM sent so hard.

This would most likely work out great in Thai type curries, where the natural sweetness is a benefit (so that you wouldn't need to add much sugar), while still giving a lovely lemony flavour. It would also likely taste amazing when added to white bean soup (white beans, onions, garlic, lots of rosemary, olive oil, a slug or two of the ginger limoncello). Again, the sweetness would work way in your favour.

OMG. The ginger one would be PERFECT in a Qurma. The creaminess of the curry would be great with the sweetness of the limoncello. Seriously, give it a shot. I made a qurma yesterday that was coming out a bit too acidy, until I added a bit of sugar to it, at which point the whole thing just got perfect. I'm generally not a fan of sweet in curries, but a little goes a long way.

I would love you forever if you sent me some though. Especially the ginger. Dear god I love ginger.

PMed back!

I made a slap-dash Thai curry with shrimp using the gingery stuff, and wowsa! Good call. That bright lemon and ginger sweetness was show stopping! Excellent idea. I'm going to use all of your ideas, sir. And for you? All the free lemon vodka infusions you want. That curry shrimp made my drat day, and I wouldn't have thought of it. So Good!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I was also thinking that a lot of salt preserved lemons could be made, so that later one could make lemon chanh muối. (which is of course the best thing)

I always salt cure lemons in 1 dozen ball jars with chanh muối in mind. I should send you a coupla jars of that too!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I was candying some citrons and turned the heat on too high and then forgot they were downstairs on the stove and then it blackened and got horrible and they're ruined :( The worst part is that there's all sorts of citrus and sugar crud burnt on the bottom of the pot. What's my best bet for cleaning here? As soon as I realized what I'd done I took it off the heat and added a bunch of hot water to the pot so the sugar didn't set. Right now it's soaking and I'm dreading scrubbing it. Any secrets?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What kind of pot

If it's steel you can scrape off the blackened stuff with steel wool.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 14, 2012

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys, I plan on making some vegan cupcakes for a friend for New Year's Eve. I'm using this recipe and it seems to be easy to get stuff except for the frosting which requires "vegan non-hydrogenated shortening" which I have no clue about. I'm in Australia and I don't think I've ever seen shortening (Probably wasn't looking for it).

Is there a good reliable vegan brand I can get in Australia from, say, Woolworths? Also is Nuttlex a non-hydrogenated margarine? If no, any suggestions for that too?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is garlic (whole clove, minced) OK to use in sous vide or not? I was going to adapt a "marinate some chicken with minced garlic then grill" recipe for sous vide and am concerned about botulism, and off flavors.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Safety should fine if you follow the normal rules, but fresh garlic takes on a metallic taste when cooked sous vide. This is one of those times where you're better off with garlic powder.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey guys, I plan on making some vegan cupcakes for a friend for New Year's Eve. I'm using this recipe and it seems to be easy to get stuff except for the frosting which requires "vegan non-hydrogenated shortening" which I have no clue about. I'm in Australia and I don't think I've ever seen shortening (Probably wasn't looking for it).

Is there a good reliable vegan brand I can get in Australia from, say, Woolworths? Also is Nuttlex a non-hydrogenated margarine? If no, any suggestions for that too?

Shortening is like lard, and margarine is like butter. The non hydrogenated thing doesn't matter to the recipe so don't worry about that. If you can't find shortening, try room temperature, solid coconut oil instead. I don't know about brands in Australia though. In the US you cans find vegetable shortening in big tubs in any grocery store in the baking aisle.

Edit: I just realized this was for the frosting. Not so sure coconut oil would work for that. You could try regular margarine instead of shortening but it will taste more buttery which might be weird in frosting.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Plus_Infinity posted:

Edit: I just realized this was for the frosting. Not so sure coconut oil would work for that. You could try regular margarine instead of shortening but it will taste more buttery which might be weird in frosting.

Coconut oil works great in frosting! When my GF does vegan cakes, she sometimes grinds shredded coconut into a frosting base in the food processor.

The fresh ham I ordered just came in... and it's 23 pounds. The meat counter guy claimed that I never told anyone how big I wanted it. It's freaking huge! And it's got meat all the way up the bone!

This is going to take WAY longer to cook, right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

Coconut oil works great in frosting! When my GF does vegan cakes, she sometimes grinds shredded coconut into a frosting base in the food processor.

The fresh ham I ordered just came in... and it's 23 pounds. The meat counter guy claimed that I never told anyone how big I wanted it. It's freaking huge! And it's got meat all the way up the bone!

Haha, holy poo poo, that's enormous. You should ask the butcher to cut it in half and freeze half, or take a Sawz-All to it and do it yourself.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a .txt file on my computer that I've been copy+pasting recipes into over the past several months, and it's getting long enough where I need to better organize it. How do people handle their self-compiled cookbooks in the digital age? How do you organize everything properly? Just something like a Word document with a couple keywords on each recipe?

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

C-Euro posted:

I have a .txt file on my computer that I've been copy+pasting recipes into over the past several months, and it's getting long enough where I need to better organize it. How do people handle their self-compiled cookbooks in the digital age? How do you organize everything properly? Just something like a Word document with a couple keywords on each recipe?

I have a folder that I share on dropbox with my cooking buds and I just save each recipe as its own word file with the title of the dish as the name of the file. On a mac it's easy to search for folders so I just save the name of the dish. I suppose you could do some subfolders too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

I've been using an iPad app called Paprika for a while now. I think a goon actually made it. But you can put your recipes in it, and it will also let you put the url of a recipe on the web in and it will scrape it and format it. Apparently there's a desktop app too and it will sync between them.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I've not tried it, but upon reading your question the first thing that popped in my mind was to copy/paste into evernote. Then you'll have your recipes on all your devices and they're searchable.

Edit: dem's idea sounds really cool, too. I'mma try that out.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've been using an iPad app called Paprika for a while now. I think a goon actually made it. But you can put your recipes in it, and it will also let you put the url of a recipe on the web in and it will scrape it and format it. Apparently there's a desktop app too and it will sync between them.

I second this. Additionally, if you have an iPad, I really recommend subscribing to Panna. Really nicely done video magazine with famous chefs cooking in their own kitchens.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Squashy Nipples posted:

Depends on the cut of ham really.. the timetables I have always gone by are for a whole leg, bone in ham that is between 12~16 lbs. cook 22 to 26 min./lb. If it is a whole leg, boneless ham between 10~14 lbs. cook 24 to 28 min./lb. You are looking for 160 degrees in the middle.

You have a big f*ing ham on your hands to deal with though.

These are numbers used as a guide for when we roast them and have been doing so for few holiday occasions now with no unexpected deaths..

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, that's enormous. You should ask the butcher to cut it in half and freeze half, or take a Sawz-All to it and do it yourself.

I wouldn't know where to cut it. Having trouble getting a brining bucket that will fit in the fridge, too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've not tried it, but upon reading your question the first thing that popped in my mind was to copy/paste into evernote. Then you'll have your recipes on all your devices and they're searchable.

Edit: dem's idea sounds really cool, too. I'mma try that out.

Evernote is really really good, do this.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

There's an android version of this as well. Its what I've been using.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
A friend bought me RecipeBox, it gets the job done pretty well. :)

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Okay, I need some opinions.

I've got coffee liqueur brewing in my pantry to gift to my brother-in-law. We'd like to do something similar for my mother-in-law, but she's more of a tea drinker, so I figured I'd make some sort of tea infused vodka thing. However, I can't decide what would be better- green tea liqueur or simply green tea vodka.

I figure green tea liqueur might seem more interesting, but have fewer applications than a green tea vodka. But then, I don't really do alcohol, so I have no loving idea about these things beyond "people like booze."

What do you guys think? Can you think of any uses for a green tea liqueur that wouldn't be ridiculously sweet? Or should I just do a simple infusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

What are some good things to do with venison? My neighbor just gave me 2 lbs of ground and a 1 pound roast, and I have no idea what to do with it.