Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Don't know how I could've missed this but the truly great movie Angst (1983) was released on blu-ray by Carlotta Films this summer.
LINK

Apparently it features the prologue as an extra too. The previous DVD releases did not have the prologue I think, it was just avalable on some french VHS?

If you haven't seen this movie it takes you inside the mind of a truly disturbed and depraved serial killer and does this very effectively. It's easily one of the best psycho-killer movies available imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

the wait is over

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

no 3d, no buy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Sporadic posted:

no 3d, no buy

If more blu-rays had 3D the world would be a better place.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Please tell me this have commentary.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

I wonder if he puts 'both' versions of the film on there, since he was filming with 2 cameras simultaneously because he couldn't decide which was better. He later decided that he was actually writing a book about it and never did.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding Bluray player software, there's that DAPlayer from Digiarty. It's offered for free. What's the catch?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

The pHo posted:

The thing I'm most happy about with Blu art, with steelbooks and similar editions (Social Network being one), they're now putting all the marketing gumph on throwaway cardboard inserts under the shrink wrap. I don't need to be reminded that some no-name critic awarded the film 5* every time I pick a disc up. Rip em out and straight in the trash.

Also my hatred of BBFC logos, I think I counted 18 of the drat things throughout my Oceans Trilogy boxset. A small rating on the back like in the US is perfect.

ahahahaha BBFC logos are nothing compared to the leviathans that are Australian ratings. Front, back, and spine, all in nice fluro colours.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
On one hand, awesome. On the other, it's absolutely infuriating when I think of all the non-anamorphic DVD's I own of films that still aren't on Bluray while films like this and Manos are going to be.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I, Butthole posted:

ahahahaha BBFC logos are nothing compared to the leviathans that are Australian ratings. Front, back, and spine, all in nice fluro colours.

Yeah the German effort isn't particularly pleasant either. Only ever owned one Aussie set, the Back to the Future trilogy because it was super cheap. Also super misframed.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

I wonder if he puts 'both' versions of the film on there, since he was filming with 2 cameras simultaneously because he couldn't decide which was better. He later decided that he was actually writing a book about it and never did.

I'm pretty sure the finished film actually contains footage from both cameras.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure the finished film actually contains footage from both cameras.

I was about to say, there's a shot or two that's both misframed and looks completely different due to using the takes from alternate cameras. Hopefully we'll get deleted scenes and footage from the version of the film that was scrapped.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

I was about to say, there's a shot or two that's both misframed and looks completely different due to using the takes from alternate cameras. Hopefully we'll get deleted scenes and footage from the version of the film that was scrapped.

Wait a second. Are you saying there's an alternate version of the Room?

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

CPL593H posted:

Tommy Wiseau filmed 'The Room' with a 35mm camera and a HD digital camera on the same tripod side by side. Maybe some deleted scenes will be added like following up on the cancer revelation or seeing what happens to Chris for the drug...ah gently caress it, who cares.

The best thing about 'The Room' is going to a theater drunk and throwing plastic spoons at the screen. The film is too tedious to watch by yourself.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Well.

quote:

However, according to one cast member who requested anonymity, the script was indeed altered during the shoot: ''It was actually a lot longer. There was stuff that was just unsayable. I know it's hard to imagine there was stuff that was worse. But there was.

Wiseau changed crew (And cast) 3 times before they finally got the footage they wanted. A few behind the scenes stories seem to insinuate at swarthes of the film that were cut.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
A reminder for Room fans that Greg Sestero's book is going to come out in May. I am stoked for it more than pretty much anything.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

Well.

Wiseau changed crew (And cast) 3 times before they finally got the footage they wanted. A few behind the scenes stories seem to insinuate at swarthes of the film that were cut.

I know all this stuff, but I don't think there's an alternate cut of the movie.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
X-Men Trilogy dropped down to $17.99 on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PPGAKS...P1J819AMMCZQ3W0

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Anyone have any experience with any of these three?
The BBC High Definition Natural History Collection (Planet Earth / Wild China / Galapagos / Ganges) [Blu-ray] (2008)
Life / Planet Earth: Special Edition (Both Narrated by David Attenborough) [Blu-ray] (2011)
Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series [Blu-ray] (2007)

I'm not sure what to get, if any. The Planet Earth seems good for the price even though I own it on dvd, but the lack of special features is kinda lame. And the combo with Life seems nice but apparently there are some quality issues. Anyone have experience with these and know if they are good deals? or should I just wait till later in the future when a better quality one comes around and is as good or better deal.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I was able to snag Life for about $15 in a sale a couple of years ago from Barnes and Noble. When I bought Planet Earth it was $35 from Amazon.uk, so the price has dropped quite a bit. That being said, they are both great documentaries and as long as you get the Attenborough ones, you're golden.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regarding Bluray player software, there's that DAPlayer from Digiarty. It's offered for free. What's the catch?

I gave this a test run last night, it only works with maybe 1/3 of the blurays I own (and this is with anydvdHD running in the background handling decryption), won't work with pretty much any 'advanced' bluray features, and also doesn't seem to take advantage of hardware video decoding so I'd assume it'll chug fairly hard on slower computers. It's pretty new though, give it a year and it may be respectable by then and/or we'll have other worthwhile free players.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
So, Willow is getting an HD release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juMFeiGIL7w

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
- edit Oh, hey. Who Framed Roger Rabbit preorder.

March 12th - $18.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AO686G0...SMPQF6Q23Q9EWPC

-------------

The price on some HBO titles have dropped.

Eastbound & Down Season 3 - $16.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WGDCNW...3VC7QZ7G73114WH
Bored To Death Season 2 - $17.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L77GME...CCJ8XEQM6JWS054
Hung Season 3 - $17.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LAJ1K4...AM117W1A96EP2QZ

Boardwalk Empire Season 1 - $31.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0089K7DGW...TJD2ZVK7HA5X4EN
Boardwalk Empire Season 2 - $28.99 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LAJ1HW...PQVXKYDSZ3X3P6Q

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 17, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sporadic posted:

- edit Oh, hey. Who Framed Roger Rabbit preorder.

March 12th - $18.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AO686G0...SMPQF6Q23Q9EWPC

Yes, yes, yes.

They'd better not gently caress this up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yes, yes, yes.

They'd better not gently caress this up.

If it's Disney putting it out, then they won't.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

CPL593H posted:

If it's Disney putting it out, then they won't.
Eh, it depends. When Disney thinks the film is a classic worth preserving, then yes they go all out. But any Bluray that doesn't fit that criteria tends to be whatever transfer they already have lying around slapped on a new disc and shoved out the door. Although considering the amount of times I've seen the ads for this thing, I'm guessing this one will be the former.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 17, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

kuddles posted:

Eh, it depends. When Disney thinks the film is a classic worth preserving, then yes they go all out. But any Bluray that doesn't fit that criteria tends to be whatever transfer they already have lying around slapped on a new disc and shoved out the door. Although considering the amount of times I've seen the ads for this thing, I'm guessing this one will be the former.

I hope so. Maybe it's just my opinion (and some nostalgia), but I would certainly call Who Framed Roger Rabbit a classic.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Game Of Thrones Season 1 Collector's Edition - $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K8X0IS...R2TNA6XVG505C4F

That's $6 cheaper than the normal edition.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

Game Of Thrones Season 1 Collector's Edition - $39.99

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K8X0IS...R2TNA6XVG505C4F

That's $6 cheaper than the normal edition.

$6 cheaper than the normal edition, but short one GW Bush head on a stake. I'll leave it to you to determine if that's worth $6.

:colbert:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

kuddles posted:

Given that Spielberg has Dreamworks set up at Disney these days, I imagine there's going to be some attention paid to it, just to keep him happy.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
A lot of people would get very, very angry if they hosed up Roger Rabbit, so I'm going to guess that they won't gently caress it up.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
No Jessica Rabbit uncensored pantyless upskirt shot, no sale.

edit: Well I was hoping there would be some blu-ray.com forum hilarity about that, but it's just more packaging OCD nonsense. Disappointed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Welp, I guess I won't be trusting Michael Reuben's opinion on anything related to comedy, ever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Welp, I guess I won't be trusting Michael Reuben's opinion on anything related to comedy, ever.

He's Mr. I LOVE EVERYTHING (BESIDES MIAMI CONNECTION)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Jeff Dunham is a piece of poo poo. I just thought I'd put that out there. I'm not even going to waste any thought on finding a clever way to say that. Or attempt to get into detail. He's just a loving piece of poo poo and he probably hates himself.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I sometimes can not believe how loving terrible the people on blu-ray.com are at everything besides talking about the actual blu-ray. Try reading some of their movie reviews sometimes (don't, Jesus Christ). They're awful.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

I sometimes can not believe how loving terrible the people on blu-ray.com are at everything besides talking about the actual blu-ray. Try reading some of their movie reviews sometimes (don't, Jesus Christ). They're awful.

I only use that site to see if a blu-ray I want has a lovely transfer. I don't read anything else.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

CPL593H posted:

I only use that site to see if a blu-ray I want has a lovely transfer. I don't read anything else.
In terms of judging actual Blu-ray quality they are pretty great, including ignoring videophile complaints about bad video quality when the film is supposed to look that way.

But yeah, I always imagine the section where they rate the actual film does not exist.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

It's always weird seeing things that history will judge us for play out in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Jeff Dunham is a piece of poo poo. I just thought I'd put that out there. I'm not even going to waste any thought on finding a clever way to say that. Or attempt to get into detail. He's just a loving piece of poo poo and he probably hates himself.

Every comedian hates himself/herself.

• Locked thread