Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Man, I'd love to have another Ogre Battle-system game that's about as story-light as March of the Black Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Matsuno left Level 5 after Crimson Shroud was done and is rumored to be working on a secret project for an undisclosed company. :ohdear:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gyoru posted:

Matsuno left Level 5 after Crimson Shroud was done and is rumored to be working on a secret project for an undisclosed company. :ohdear:

I don't think any one expected him to stay there. He's been freelancing since he left FF12 and Guild01 was a one off project for everyone involved.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A goon is selling a 3DS for 100 bucks if you need it cheap. SA Mart.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Unchained Blades finally coming to 3DS on January 3rd.

http://xseedgames.com/news.php?id=172

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Unchained Blades is great if you're into first person dungeon crawls. It was released in the Summer for PSP + Vita.

It's got voice acting and similar levels of polish as the Etrian Odyssey games. Each character has a specific party role and unique skill tree. There's a monster raising mechanic where you catch different monsters and equip up to 4 of them on a character to unlock skills.

Chapter 3 is still The Worst™ though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

Unchained Blades is great if you're into first person dungeon crawls. It was released in the Summer for PSP + Vita.

It's got voice acting and similar levels of polish as the Etrian Odyssey games. Each character has a specific party role and unique skill tree. There's a monster raising mechanic where you catch different monsters and equip up to 4 of them on a character to unlock skills.

Chapter 3 is still The Worst™ though.

Oh my god is it though. I finally muscled through Chapter 3 after a few days of grinding and bad luck runs and when I got to Chapter 4, I was just burned out. What were they thinking with a solo chapter in a game like that??

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I thought Chapter 3 was pretty fun. Certainly difficult, but being able to save anywhere alleviated a lot of the potential frustration. I personally found the minion battle at the end of the 1st chapter to be way more aggravating.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Can anyone suggest any good JRPGs that aren't particularly anime influenced? I feel like so much of it is, kind of wondering what's out there that has a different style to all of that. Bonus for if they're PS2 or DS games

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Paperhouse posted:

Can anyone suggest any good JRPGs that aren't particularly anime influenced? I feel like so much of it is, kind of wondering what's out there that has a different style to all of that. Bonus for if they're PS2 or DS games
Anachronox plays like a JRPG but is made by a Western developer. Story and characters are weird but interesting, though I hear the ending leaves a never-happening sequel to be desired. It's for PC, and is currently on sale for $3 on GOG.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
The only ones off the top of my head are the Mother games and Lost Odyssey, the former of which are more American/children's book-ey and the latter of which is more like a modern taiga drama. I can't speak for The Last Story, but you might wanna check that one out, too.

Maybe The Bouncer? That's not really an RPG, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Maybe I just have a weird interpretation of what "anime influenced" means, but I'm going to have to suggest Shadow Hearts. It doesn't seem particularly animeish, and it still one of if not my favorite game just because of how different it is.

I need to replay that game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

King of Solomon posted:

Maybe I just have a weird interpretation of what "anime influenced" means, but I'm going to have to suggest Shadow Hearts. It doesn't seem particularly animeish, and it still one of if not my favorite game just because of how different it is.
Shadow Hearts is anime as gently caress. It's also really good, though, and has probably one of the best turn-based combat systems I've ever seen.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cardiovorax posted:

Shadow Hearts is anime as gently caress. It's also really good, though, and has probably one of the best turn-based combat systems I've ever seen.

Care to explain that? Like I said, I probably have a different perspective on what "anime influenced" means than most of you guys.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Speaking of PS2 games is there a list somewhere that mentions which RPGS for that system would be worth picking up and which ones arn't? The prices for some of them seem outragious, so having a barometer between rarity/quality is something I need.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

King of Solomon posted:

Care to explain that? Like I said, I probably have a different perspective on what "anime influenced" means than most of you guys.
Eh, it's just the general feel of it, you know? Lots of "epic adventure journey" kind of stuff and "this isn't even my final form!" situations. Defenseless healer-classed schoolgirls in miniskirt uniforms. That kind of thing. v:shobon:v Maybe it's just me.

At any rate, it really shouldn't scare anyone off, though! For all the anime cliché things it does, Shadow Hearts also really doesn't take itself seriously. It just really loves to take all those things and make fun of them. It's weird, creepy and fun in all the best ways. It's honestly my favourite RPG series on the PS2, even over SMT.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cardiovorax posted:

Eh, it's just the general feel of it, you know? Lots of "epic adventure journey" kind of stuff and "this isn't even my final form!" situations. Defenseless healer-classed schoolgirls in miniskirt uniforms. That kind of thing. v:shobon:v Maybe it's just me.

At any rate, it really shouldn't scare anyone off, though! For all the anime cliché things it does, Shadow Hearts also really doesn't take itself seriously. It just really loves to take all those things and make fun of them. It's weird, creepy and fun in all the best ways. It's honestly my favourite RPG series on the PS2, even over SMT.

Mm, I can see that. I just focus more on the fact that it's really dark and full of horror elements/creatures. Incidentally, this is also one of the main reasons I was so disappointed with Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

I haven't played the first SH game, but Shadow Hearts 2 was really drat anime. It's the sense of humor, method of storytelling, the dialog, the character designs, and so on are all pretty heavily anime influenced. SH3 is even more anime.

Paperhouse posted:

Can I recommend Shin Megami Tensei 3 again? :v: The art style is really strange and unique, and not very anime inspired, and everything else about the game isn't very anime either. It does take place in post-apocalyptic Japan though, but even then, it just feels Japanese at times, and not anime.

Or how about Radiant Historia for the DS? The portraits are a little anime, but aside from that, the main character is a pretty huge departure from the norm. He's an actual adult who works for a military intelligence organization (medieval fantasy, not modern). There's some anime tropes peppered throughout but the characters and story as a whole are pretty well written and surprisingly mature, and run counter to most tropes.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I haven't played the first SH game, but Shadow Hearts 2 was really drat anime. It's the sense of humor, method of storytelling, the dialog, the character designs, and so on are all pretty heavily anime influenced. SH3 is even more anime.

Shadow Hearts 1 is very different from Shadow Hearts 2 (this is ignoring Koudelka, of course. I haven't played that.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Mm, I can see that. I just focus more on the fact that it's really dark and full of horror elements/creatures. Incidentally, this is also one of the main reasons I was so disappointed with Shadow Hearts: Covenant.
I thought Covenant was a really good sequel, honestly. It took all the things that I liked about SH1 and refined them without ruining the feel of it. It's also way more fun to actually play because it also fixed the more annoying issues with the original Judgment Ring system.

I'll agree that it toned down the weird scariness somewhat, though. The monster design just wasn't the same, unless you really made an effort to read every enemy description. I think it also grew up in some ways, though. Covenant is a really dark game. I mean dark in a mature emotional way, not the "Oh God, that demon just blew up Shanghai" sense. You're basically hosed from the start and things only get worse, without ever veering into the melodramatic. That's a pretty good achievement, in my opinion.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cardiovorax posted:

I thought Covenant was a really good sequel, honestly. It took all the things that I liked about SH1 and refined them without ruining the feel of it. It's also way more fun to actually play because it also fixed the more annoying issues with the original Judgment Ring system.

I'll agree that it toned down the weird scariness somewhat, though. The monster design just wasn't the same, unless you really made an effort to read every enemy description. I think it also grew up in some ways, though. Covenant is a really dark game. I mean dark in a mature emotional way, not the "Oh God, that demon just blew up Shanghai" sense. You're basically hosed from the start and things only get worse, without ever veering into the melodramatic. That's a pretty good achievement, in my opinion.

The thing is, it toning down the weird scariness and loving with Yuri's character as much as it did just made it more generic and boring. I couldn't get into any of the villains (particularly because the game couldn't decide on who the real villain is until the last hour of the game, and the way that was handled just confused and angered me), and I couldn't get into a lot of the protagonists, either. Maybe it's because I absolutely adored the first game, but seeing Yuri look and act like he did while having Keith's brother behave like he did just...it all pissed me off.

Basically, I liked the system improvements, and I liked a lot of the new stuff in there, but the stuff that connected it to the first game pretty much all pissed me off, to the point where the best thing the game did (in my opinion) is write itself out of existence in one of its endings.

FEdit: Maybe I should replay the game at some point, but I doubt I'll like it any more than I did the first time. And for clarification, I did actually like Keith's brother, I just think his connection to Keith was infuriating. If he was just a completely unrelated character he would be fine.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 15, 2012

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I guess it's just a difference in taste. I really liked the changes in Yuri's character because it seemed like they flowed naturally from who he was at the end of SH1. I consider his character development really the main "point" of the series, which is why I didn't like SH3 (which didn't feature him) as much. The Yuri you start with is a very different person from who he ends up being. It made sense to me that the second game would focus on how he deals with things, now that he's a changed man.

Also Joachim is awesome. :colbert:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Cardiovorax posted:

I guess it's just a difference in taste. I really liked the changes in Yuri's character because it seemed like they flowed naturally from who he was at the end of SH1. I consider his character development really the main "point" of the series, which is why I didn't like SH3 (which didn't feature him) as much. The Yuri you start with is a very different person from who he ends up being. It made sense to me that the second game would focus on how he deals with things, now that he's a changed man.

Also Joachim is awesome. :colbert:

Yeah, like I said, I actually did like Joachim, I just don't think he should have been Joachim Valentine, if that makes sense. In any case, I acknowledge my distaste is probably a minority perspective anyways.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
There's King's Quest the Ancient City(aka King's Quest 4) on the PS2. It's not anime influenced at all and it should only be a few bucks for a used copy at this point. It's made by From Stoftware.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I decided to start playing Secret of Mana today because I found out this used Wii I purchased had it on there in the store...

.. Jesus christ I forgot how stupid the AI is and how impossible this game is unless you play with friends. Oh well, guess I'll play something else. I remember why I quit playing this in the past now.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

WendigoJohnson posted:

There's King's Quest the Ancient City(aka King's Quest 4) on the PS2. It's not anime influenced at all and it should only be a few bucks for a used copy at this point. It's made by From Stoftware.

Field. King's Field. King's Quest is something entirely different (and terrible). You want King's Field.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

I believe you mean King's Field. It's also not at all a JRPG. It's a pretty interesting game, though, it's basically the predecessor to Demon's Souls. The game is kind of ugly, though, and the first person combat is a little clumsy.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rasamune posted:

Field. King's Field. King's Quest is something entirely different (and terrible). You want King's Field.
:ughh:

Yes, King's Field.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My biggest complaint about Unchained Blades is that the difficulty curve pretty much drops like a rock half way through the game.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If I were looking for a good RPG to tide me until EO4 hits, which game is better, Unchained Blades or Elminage Original? I took a look at both and they both look pretty good. Elminage is a little more traditional Wizardry I suppose?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If I were looking for a good RPG to tide me until EO4 hits, which game is better, Unchained Blades or Elminage Original? I took a look at both and they both look pretty good. Elminage is a little more traditional Wizardry I suppose?
Unchained Blades:
- First person RPG. More of a jRPG than a Wizardry clone.
- English voice acting
- Good dungeon design with some interesting puzzles
- Premade characters with specific party roles and skill trees
- Story driven
- Monster catching can become addictive
- Post-game: 100F dungeon
- Difficulty: Can become a cakewalk later if you have the proper party layout.
- Polished and translated well thanks to XSEED

Elminage Original:
- Traditional Wizardry clone
- Good dungeon design though can suffer from a lot of dead ends similar to Wizardry
- Create your own party. There are some unique characters you can recruit.
- Difficulty: Should stay consistent throughout. Your party will die.
- Post-game: NG+ and post-game dungeon/bosses
- Has a level cap of 9999 (yeah)
- Poor translation with errors thanks to UFO Interactive

Both are good and should easily last over 50 hours each. Unchained Blades has more personality and polish. I would recommend it above Elminage overall. Just depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 15, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's a great rundown, thanks a lot. I'll probably end up grabbing Unchained Blades when it drops on the 3DS store.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I'm going to play through Gamecube Paper Mario (The Thousand Year Door), is it pretty hard to bone myself with what upgrades I take each level up?

Also, should I play through Earthbound before Mother 3? I'm thinking yes, if only because Mother 3 is probably more modernized and it would be harder to go back.

I'm ashamed that I haven't played these beloved games.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

PirateNipple posted:

I'm going to play through Gamecube Paper Mario (The Thousand Year Door), is it pretty hard to bone myself with what upgrades I take each level up?
Yes, it's very hard, and you can't bone yourself much. You can in fact throw coins at somebody later in the game to adjust how you spent these (even going below starting max HP).

In general, BP are better than HP or FP: Badges exist which cost one level up's worth of BP to equip and give you one level's worth of HP or FP. I don't think you can get an infinite supply of them, though, but if you're good at the aciton commands you can avoid/reduce a lot of damage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

flyboi posted:

I decided to start playing Secret of Mana today because I found out this used Wii I purchased had it on there in the store...

.. Jesus christ I forgot how stupid the AI is and how impossible this game is unless you play with friends. Oh well, guess I'll play something else. I remember why I quit playing this in the past now.

Where are you having trouble? It's not impossible at all and one of the easier RPG's on the SNES (once you're past Spikey Tiger anyway) even if you're playing on your own. Like most RPG's of the time, it expects you to be a certain level at a certain time and you won't always get there without a bit of grinding. Yup, the AI is terrible but just remember to set them to be more aggressive and that if you want them to use magic you have to tell specifically to every time (though if you talking about them constantly getting stuck on bits of the scenery, can't help you there, ugh).

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

PirateNipple posted:

Also, should I play through Earthbound before Mother 3? I'm thinking yes, if only because Mother 3 is probably more modernized and it would be harder to go back.

Play Earthbound first because it's a great game and Mother 3 has some callbacks to it. I don't know if I'd call them "modern", but neither game requires grinding and there's next to no penalty for game overing.

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I played through Earthbound recently and it was totally still enjoyable. The only really dated thing is the inventory management, and as I recall that doesn't really get better in Mother 3 anyway.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Anyone got any tips for the Cid Raines fight in Final Fantasy XIII?

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

PirateNipple posted:

I'm ashamed that I haven't played these beloved games.

There is basically no perceptible "modernization" of gameplay or interface between games; really anything along those lines in Mother 3 but not in Earthbound is probably more because Itoi just didn't think of them when making the former rather than any fundamental shift towards "modern" design. You even might say that both games make a point of being kind of old fashioned, gameplay-wise.

Play Earthbound first because it's Mother 2 and so should be placed before Mother 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I want to get into Persona 4. My friend gave me a copy along with his ps2, what should I know about this game having very little jrpg experience? I like very difficult games though, hopefully this will fulfill