Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Asiina posted:

I hate small dogs. All of them. For some reason small dogs are always just so...hard. Like you pick them up and they're light but they just feel like a skeleton with fur on it. I'm not sure if I'm describing the sensation well, but I like soft pets. I like big floppy dogs, and I like cats because even though they're the size of small dogs they are squishy.

Small dogs are so uncomfortable to touch and hold.

I was thinking exactly this yesterday. You pick up a cat and it's like... Floppy and cuddly like a stuffed animal. They can hug you! Small dogs just aren't...bendy enough to be cuddly.

I'll probably get one anyway someday. With a proper-sized dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
My grandma's Pomeranian is basically the softest thing I have ever held. D:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I just plain don't like some dogs. I don't like terriers in general, I hate small fluffy white dogs, and most toy breeds. I don't like my aunt's airedale at ALL because he's weird, but I will petsit him because my aunt pays me a ridiculous amount of money, and also always has beer in her house.

I don't like my mom's sheepdog. When she got him, he was gross and smelly and I just sort of didn't want to touch him. He's fine now, but I still don't like him, because I think he encourages my dog do misbehave. She was SO much better before my mom got him!!

I do like calling his name and riling him up, though, because he just wiggles his butt like crazy and that's hilarious.

I think poodles are weird. I don't get them.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Jumping on the small dog persecution bandwagon. I can count the number of times I've been bitten on one hand, but they were all by tiny, yappy dogs despite my family owning big dogs my entire life. I enjoy throwing myself on huge monsters and messing with their faces and I can't do that with say, my neighbor's neurotic little fox terrier.

I did love my family's next door neighbor's white Pomeranian though. She always greeted me after school with the unconditional love and perpetual exuberance of a dog. :smith:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I absolutely hate all small long haired dogs. Fluffy dogs are fine, but anything with actual hair I can not stand. Maltese, Lhasas, Shih tzus, Yorkies....no. I am COMPLETELY FINE with all other stupid yappy small dogs, but for some reason specifically ones with long hair I want to kick to death. Almost all of the ones I meet either 1) do not have any personality or 2) are stupid bitches that just bite everything forever and act horrible. When I do meet a nice one, I hate it anyway. I'm sorry.

I secretly like most other small dogs, as long as they have personality and don't just stand there shivering and looking stupid. I MUST have a spergy pit bull to be happy, but I also want to have a stupid gimmick dog to carry around and humiliate. Frankie is not super small at 22ish pounds, but he is small enough to pick up and harass and sometimes treat like a useless purse dog. If I did not have Frankie, I could have another spergy pit bull. And yet, I choose to have Frankie.

Also: English bulldogs were my favorite dog until my early teens and I wanted one so bad. Now, I still secretly like dogs with very short muzzles, just not ones so extreme they can't breathe. I would never own one that wasn't a rescue and the perpetuation of extremely brachecephalic breeds enrages me on a logical level, but when logic and reason are out the window, I think squished in faces and pig noises are so hilarious and stupid I can't not like them. I feel bad for them and want to smack people who make more of them, but lmao, dog looks like a piggy. :3:

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
My parents have a herd of semi-feral cats living underneath their back porch. This has been going on for years, and I have made very little effort to stop it. I justify it by telling myself that if we didn't feed them, they'd be even worse off, but it really just attracts more cats, all of whom are so inbred that half the litters don't survive.
Last summer one of our ferals had a litter of five. The cat in question was less than a year old and the father(s) was one of her littermates. One of the kittens died pretty much immediately. Then another kitten got sick and my sister brought him into the house. We babied him and fed him KMR and goat formula (it's a goat farm and was around). My sister gave him an absurdly long name, but I just called him Pip. The poor thing had malformed back legs and eyes so gummed up he couldn't open them. I didn't fight hard enough to keep him alive. I sprung for the kitten baby bottle, but not for KMR. I wasn't there for him his last few days. I know it wasn't my fault and that there wasn't much chance this kitten would survive, but I still feel awful about letting him die.

Tori
Dec 14, 2012
When I visit my uncle, I'm doing it to spend time with his cat (who is gorgeous and an obsessive kneader) as much as to spend time with him and his kid.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I pretty much only like prick-eared large dogs. Or large dogs who happen to have flop ears like rotties. Show me a shar pei cross who has those perfect drop ears, you know the ones that fold right in the middle and are tiny and way too cute? :allears:

Superconsndar posted:

I also want to have a stupid gimmick dog to carry around and humiliate.

But this is my shameful secret. I would die for a pom like Keeper or Pork Chop :3: They look like grumpy little teddy bears.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I want a tiny, pure white toy dog that I can dye rainbows all the time, paint it's nails, dress it in awful dresses but I also want to make it a therapy dog. v:shobon:v

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
When I dust, I always call Cobb to me and say "WE GOTTA GET THE COBB WEBS OFF YA!" and just fwoosh the duster all over him because he's not sure what to do about it. I don't think he likes it at all but he's so confused about it that he just sits there and looks sad. I can't stop. I'm sorry, Cobb :(

Also, I will say "cookies?" at random intervals throughout the day because Hoban will show up out of no where with his ugly little mug, and then I'll ask him why he's not as handsome as Cobb. My poor dogs have complexes.

Bonus: pictures

Dusting Cobb

Hoban muggin'

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I have recently come to the conclusion that I hate the smell of puppy breath. Smells like poo poo and blood to me.

I'm not sorry about it.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

My confession: there are a lot of days when I'm tired from work and my corgi is hyper and being dumb and barking and wanting to play and throwing balls in my lap and jumping up and trying to lick my face that I really wish I'd gotten a calmer older dog that just wants to sleep and be petted. But then she does something cute and it goes away. Mostly.

Also I don't buy my dog stuffed toys anymore because I don't want to deal with the aftermath when she shreds them. Also I got tired of spending ten bucks on a dog toy that was obliterated in an hour.

I am also sometimes really horrible with the cat boxes and go a week between changes. Luckily my cats don't give a poo poo.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

paisleyfox posted:

I have recently come to the conclusion that I hate the smell of puppy breath. Smells like poo poo and blood to me.

I'm not sorry about it.

Step 1: Make sure you're smelling the right end.

Step 2: Make sure said puppy does not have parvo.

Bleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaachhhhhhhh

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

My confession: It was me indy, I was the one who shut your tail into the door, I was just trying to keep you and the dog seperate because you two were fighting. I know you forgave me but I had to lie to my parents because I was a scared kid. Sorry you got in trouble for me dusty.

Peach
Mar 13, 2005

not only am I right, I'm a better penpal than you are.
I live in a house with 3 cats, mine included. When play-time turns a little rough I will only intervene if it looks like my cat is losing.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Mirthless posted:

She lived a goddamn LONG time though. 22!

That makes her easily one of the 20 longest-lived dogs on record, worldwide.

Nerdmann
Sep 21, 2007
A couple of things. My dog ran out of dry food for 36 hours and due to finals at a university 45 minutes away, I was too lazy get to a store so I fed her raw. No problem, except I discovered that she liked my butternut squash black bean mix for burritos but that it gave her horrendous farts. I mashed it with a bunch of cooked chicken and fed it to her anyways. I think it hurt her stomach, she seemed to love it but no way that amount of gas felt good. That one hurt both of us though since I had to study through clouds of gas. In general I also feed her a lot of "people" food but it's almost always healthy stuff. Not large amounts, but almost every time I eat something with meat (not that often) she gets the end of it. She always gets some of my Friday night pizza though and it's the one food she gets pushy about and won't lay down when we eat it. I could train her but effort.

I also do not clip her nails enough at all. It's not at unhealthy levels but I just hate doing it. She's also ruining my hardwood floors from playing inside but I don't care.

And I am secretly extremely hating on my BF's brother's dog who we occasionally dogsit. He destroyed a toy Riley has had for two years, the first toy we got her. I know it's our own fault for not watching him closely enough since we know he kills toys, but damnit that was the toy Riley greeted us with at the door when we got home. I hate him now, and I know that's irrational. Next time he asks us to dogsit, I may say that Riley and his dog just don't get along.

Nerdmann fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 16, 2012

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My dog always gets grody kibble as day-long free feed. It's a wonder he's not fat(ter). His bowl is also smack down on the tile, so he has to bend over a little. I'm buying him some good kibble and a desk for Christmas.

Then again he has a chicken wing each morning for breakfast so maybe we've spoiled him enough :downs:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

skoolmunkee posted:

The pee has almost definitely soaked down into the carpet pad, so steam cleaning isn't going to get it out. In fact it will probably make it worse, by pulling lots of pee up into the carpet and distributing it more evenly. You're gonna get dinged for a full carpet replacement.

I had a landlord pull that line. Except the cat's box and her problem areas were on loving tile floor so that was all literally impossible.

Yeh, that guy never sent me any of the check he promised I was still receiving.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

This year, I addressed Sheila's gift to THE WORST CAT from SATAN. In my defense, she's been a brat this past week. And month. And year. And the year before that. And the year before that.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I want to rehome Luna. Mostly because she doesn't like the baby at all, she's super stressed and peeing and pooping everywhere if she gets "blocked" from the litterbox and she jumped over a baby gate and clawed my kid's hand pretty good because OH NO SOMEONE'S MOVING IN THE OTHER ROOM, but honestly I just don't like her anymore.

Besides, it would be so much EASIER with just one cat. I keep telling myself Luna would be happier in a quieter household but mostly *I'm* the one that wants a quieter household. But she barely likes people as is and a noisy child... forget it. And soon there will be two. She already spends most of the day in the guest room hiding from everyone.

(As for Fred, I honestly think he wouldn't give a crap to be a single cat. They've never struck me as very close and Luna is always the one who initiates play and Fred gets pissed.)

Lyz fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 17, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Dandy Shrew posted:

Hoban muggin'

YES! This was my desktop for a while. Made me laugh whenever I finally actually closed all my tabs.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I sing dirty rap songs to my dogs but replace the word "pussy" with "puppy".

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheDon01 posted:

I sing dirty rap songs to my dogs but replace the word "pussy" with "puppy".

"I nutted in her puppy" is much much worse.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lyz posted:

I want to rehome Luna. Mostly because she doesn't like the baby at all, she's super stressed and peeing and pooping everywhere if she gets "blocked" from the litterbox and she jumped over a baby gate and clawed my kid's hand pretty good because OH NO SOMEONE'S MOVING IN THE OTHER ROOM, but honestly I just don't like her anymore.

Besides, it would be so much EASIER with just one cat. I keep telling myself Luna would be happier in a quieter household but mostly *I'm* the one that wants a quieter household. But she barely likes people as is and a noisy child... forget it. And soon there will be two. She already spends most of the day in the guest room hiding from everyone.

(As for Fred, I honestly think he wouldn't give a crap to be a single cat. They've never struck me as very close and Luna is always the one who initiates play and Fred gets pissed.)

Don't feel bad about this. Some cats can't handle kids, and get so miserable around them. In the end you're doing the cat a favor as much as yourself.

I think you should probably consider having a second cat just to keep your first company, but maybe one that's good around kids and won't be such a chore to have around?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Filboid Studge posted:

That makes her easily one of the 20 longest-lived dogs on record, worldwide.

Yeah I think I blew that estimate up a bit. Now that I'm doing the math she was closer to 18-19, which is still really old. She honestly could have lived longer than that, but my mom was a lovely dog owner and didn't take her to the vet after a limb got broken, and in the end the bone fused really badly and she couldn't get around anymore. She was miserable all the time. :( I miss the hell out of that dog.

edit: jesus christ I thought i was in 3 different threads, what the gently caress is wrong with me. D:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sometimes a meaner bird will chase my dog around the yard and I dont intervene because im too busy laughing at the 60 lb dog fleeing the 3 lb fluffball.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I don't hate all small dogs (though I can't stand the way most owners let them behave), but whenever I see one, especially a fluffy or long-haired one, I get an almost irresistible urge to dropkick it like a soccer ball. It's the same thing as when you look over a huge cliff or something and get that urge to jump...something I'd never do, but drat is it tempting.

This weekend my freaking cat's face swelled up again (this time on the other side) and she blew an abscess out this morning, and I almost just took her to the vet to have her put down because I am sick of spending so much money on her and it's not like she's remotely adoptable. Instead I had a last minute twinge of guilt and told them to just remove all her teeth if possible because this is the third time she's had dental surgery in the last 6 months or so and it's freaking ridiculous. But still if I go to pick her up and someone is like "oh I want her!" I would be like "she's yours." I feel guilty because I know she's suffering a lot worse than I am (my bank account doesn't literally feel pain, after all), but goddamn I am sick of this.

Lyz posted:

I don't know, I think it does kind of sound like she would be happier in a quieter home. I don't think you should feel guilty about this at all as long as you take the time and find her a good home.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I feel like a terrible owner because I'm considering spending ten months in a foreign country and not taking any of my animals with me. If Husker was still alive I would never even think of doing something like that, but now that he's gone it seems too good to pass up.

The cats and rats would stay here in my house and a very trusted friend would basically move in here and trade rent-free living for caring for the house and critters. They would probably be happier staying here than flying 19 hours each way, and where we may be going there wouldn't be great vet care or easy access to quality cat food.

I guess the main reason I feel so bad about it is that there's a good chance one or more of the rats won't survive to see us come back. They're already getting close to a year old, and although they've all been completely healthy so far, the reality of rats is that another year is pushing it.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
I hate our cat, and will be glad when old age finally relieves me of the allergy inducing, door frame digging, piss machine, as she is 14 and won't be missed. Except by my mother-in-law, who probably won't be, either >:[

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

It was the beginning of the end for me and a boyfriend when he wanted to rehome his pair of cats two months after getting them rather than add another litterbox, scoop more than once or twice a week, or even take them to the goddamn vet to see if they had anything wrong with them. He has a seven year old son and I think that it was not only selfish, but also not great for the emotional development of his kid. Kid already has a legitimately crazy mother who is very unreliable, and having pets come and go at random is bad. Anyway, that fight ended before it reached crisis level because he started letting them outside and then one day they didn't come back. :sigh:

Sing like a girl
Aug 8, 2011

Merry Christmas!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Retro Access posted:

Merry Christmas!

:kimchi:

He is probably gonna be pissed when he gets loose but also AERODYNAMIC.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Retro Access posted:

Merry Christmas!

I just shared this photo with three people at this Christmas party and they all found it hilarious. Maybe that will be some small consolation to that poor cat. :allears:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I feel like an awful terrible pet owner, although probably I wouldn't be held accountable for this by most folks. I had a bout of intense stomach pain this morning that was pretty intense and awful - I really couldn't do much for about 8 hours but writhe in pain in between vomiting 5 or 6 times. Yeah, not fun.

I felt so sick that I honestly couldn't bear the sight or smell of either cat food long enough to feed my cat Jackie, which she did not find pleasing. Her diet is 95% wet food but I leave some dry food out for her now and then and all I could really do was put out that and water for her. She was not impressed by that, nor by my inability to pay attention to her due to how sick I felt.

Basically, she just would *not* leave me alone, and caused at least one bout of highly unpleasant vomiting by walking on my poor stomach repeatedly in an effort to bother me to the point of feeding her. Normally me and Jackie never get annoyed at one another but, well, I got annoyed at this. I admit to flinging her off the couch several times, eliciting actual meows (which is shocking from a cat who meows a dozen or so times a year normally) in the desperate hope that she'd just leave me alone.

Eventually I managed to get food in her bowl without retching too much and the situation revolved itself and my stomach bug passed, and she forgave me as always, but still. I feel pretty bad. I'm usually quite delicate and gentle with her obviously, since she's my lovely kitty girl. It's not like I was "flinging" her with any violence or strength but still. Poor kitty. She's just SUCH a good and easy cat that I feel really bad about anything like this.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

kaworu posted:

Basically, she just would *not* leave me alone, and caused at least one bout of highly unpleasant vomiting by walking on my poor stomach repeatedly in an effort to bother me to the point of feeding her.

My cat did this once when I was sick. Except, it was so sudden, I threw up on him. He had to have a bath. But none of it stopped him from trying again as soon as he dried off.

I figured it was payback for all the cat vomit I've cleaned up over the years, but it wasn't very good payback because it still involved me cleaning up puke.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I should be spending more time with my sister's cat who I'm cat-sitting. I'm only really going over once a day to feed her and hang out a bit, but I know she'd really love some more company since she's the only pet. Sorry, Pips, I'll try to spend more time with you tomorrow.

Here's a video showing how much she loves attention (and food): http://youtu.be/EqMwRy3zaqY

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Nione posted:

My cat did this once when I was sick. Except, it was so sudden, I threw up on him. He had to have a bath. But none of it stopped him from trying again as soon as he dried off.

I figured it was payback for all the cat vomit I've cleaned up over the years, but it wasn't very good payback because it still involved me cleaning up puke.

If we are going down the "threw up on our pets" route...
I went to Cuba 3 years ago. Got food poisoning. Spent the next 2.5 years throwing up randomly. I was walking out to the truck to go to work in the morning, Asa walking with me (she came with me to my old job.) Had the urge to throw up. Opened the truck door, which Asa always jumps right into. Turned around and got rid of a bowl of cheerios and a yogurt that my stomach no longer wanted to rent.

Right onto Asa. As she stared up at me with huge, brown sad eyes, worried because I was making terrible noises. I threw up ALL over my poor dog. Yeah. Thankfully a quick shot with the garden hose and some light shampooing and she was right as rain, but god drat did I feel horrible for having done that.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I easily could have thrown up on Jackie several times too, because I was so violently ill this morning that I was not able to make it to the bathroom and had to go with a bucket and all my clean towels positioned nearby. That was where some of the "flinging" came in. I was feeling incredibly awful and like I was about to lose it any amount and she was purring and trilling and rubbing against me and walking back and forth all around me and all I could do was blindly shove her away repeatedly to no effect.

Again, I'd feel less bad if Jackie weren't like, literally the perfect cat. I've thrown up on the rug more times than she has in the last two years, and that's only because she's only ever thrown up twice, both times on the linoleum bathroom floor right beside her litter box and both times required extremely little cleaning. I'm just glad I managed to eventually feed her without too much delay and things ended peacefully. I always find it shocking how she just does not hold grudges or get annoyed at me, ever. Or "fight back" in any form, like this morning even when I had grabbed and thrown her repeatedly her response was to try to be even more forcefully nice to me, which breaks my heart and makes me feel like SUCH a bad person. This is a cat who has never scratched or bit me once since I adopted her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Abbeh posted:

I should be spending more time with my sister's cat who I'm cat-sitting. I'm only really going over once a day to feed her and hang out a bit, but I know she'd really love some more company since she's the only pet. Sorry, Pips, I'll try to spend more time with you tomorrow.

Here's a video showing how much she loves attention (and food): http://youtu.be/EqMwRy3zaqY

It looks like you are feeding Pips Fruity Pebbles.

• Locked thread