Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
e: post number 1000 woop woop

RisqueBarber posted:

You typically don't want your guests to know that you're out of something.

In the last 3 months, I cannot tell you how many times I've had to tell people "Sorry, we're out right now, but how about....."

Something with the ordering has been hosed for some time now and it's just exhausting to keep managing people's disappointment when there's no Stella or whatever.

Daric posted:

gently caress yeah guys, I get to go up to work today (my day off) to go through the paperwork and find out why my other 2 bartenders on Tuesday night stole money from me.

I worked for 4 hours, they worked for 8 or 9. When I got in the safe last night to get my share of the tips from Tuesday night, there was exactly $20 in 1's in my envelope.

Now, that means they were making $5 an hour in tips (I have literally never worked a night there where we made less than $13 an hour) and if I only got 20, they only got 40-45. I seriously doubt that happened since it was pretty loving busy. I also happened to find one of the guys' credit card receipts from Tuesday night when I got there yesterday which means 1) that the manager checking them out wasn't paying attention to what she was doing and 2) that, by the amount of tips on those receipts, they owe me more than I got.

So thanks, fellow coworkers, for making me do this poo poo on my only day off.

Go through the paperwork, check CC receipts, check your totals on the ring, and if you guys have detailed hourly totals or readings or whatever, even better, calculate out 20%, then split it up. Be sure to take into account the fact that maybe you worked the slower hours and didn't actually earn all that fat cash.

But if you find even one shred of evidence that you did or should've, contact them calmly (at first) and ask them what happened with the tips Tuesday. You'll probably know pretty quickly when you ask that question if you're about to get a real answer or not. Or they'll blame the other guy, which is just as bad. Get the story from both of them separately if you can.

I've had a similar thing happen to me once, and it turned out (seemingly) innocent and I got the rest of what I was owed without raising much of a stink, but rather just by asking if the night was actually $5/hour bad or whatever.

Also, ShootingBlanks, what did you want to email me?

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

FaceEater posted:

e: post number 1000 woop woop

In the last 3 months, I cannot tell you how many times I've had to tell people "Sorry, we're out right now, but how about....."

Something with the ordering has been hosed for some time now and it's just exhausting to keep managing people's disappointment when there's no Stella or whatever.

Go through the paperwork, check CC receipts, check your totals on the ring, and if you guys have detailed hourly totals or readings or whatever, even better, calculate out 20%, then split it up. Be sure to take into account the fact that maybe you worked the slower hours and didn't actually earn all that fat cash.

But if you find even one shred of evidence that you did or should've, contact them calmly (at first) and ask them what happened with the tips Tuesday. You'll probably know pretty quickly when you ask that question if you're about to get a real answer or not. Or they'll blame the other guy, which is just as bad. Get the story from both of them separately if you can.

I've had a similar thing happen to me once, and it turned out (seemingly) innocent and I got the rest of what I was owed without raising much of a stink, but rather just by asking if the night was actually $5/hour bad or whatever.

Yeah I went through it, found out that they claimed they gave me $40 but there was definitely only $20 in my envelope. So I'll ask them. But the way we do it is that it's split up to an average hourly wage so it doesn't matter which hours you were there, if you worked 4 you get 4 hours worth of pay.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FaceEater posted:

Somehow I got you confused with Daric and thought you were in Houston, was going to ask what part of town so that I could ask around if anyone is hiring.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Shooting Blanks posted:

Somehow I got you confused with Daric and thought you were in Houston, was going to ask what part of town so that I could ask around if anyone is hiring.

Aw nuts. Was hoping you had some Chi-city contacts that could get this ball rolling in my direction. Perhaps a move to Houston is in order... (not).

That said, do not let anyone ever make you a Negroni with too much vermouth. Too much vermouth is the worst thing there can be too much of in the drink. Just put a pour spout on that poo poo and count it right if you're not going to jigger it. Ugh.

edit: \/ yes, exactly that. to be fair he'd done a fine job the last time i ordered one from him. i think it slipped this time. "oops." Also, shooting Jack is for campfires and weekend warrior Harley-looking businessmen trying to get tough while they're away from "the old lady" but still have their company BlackBerry in their back pocket. Liquid razorblades. Ugh.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 14, 2012

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

ahaha did someone freepour your sweet vermouth, straight from a bottle? I can understand that at a drunken house party perhaps (I've made myself many a "manhattan," while blackout drunk that consists of pouring a random amount of whiskey straight from the bottle and then trying to add just a tiny touch of sweet vermouth that can be anywhere from 1/4 an ounce up to probably literally an ounce and a half) but if that happened behind a real bar I probably don't need to tell you that you probably shouldn't be ordering anything else there except beers and maybe the odd shot of jack.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

So, the Apocalypse is happening next Friday. I volunteered for the shift.

I want to run a special. What should the shot/mixed drink/whatevs be? I was thinking a Solar Eclipse (Well tequila + Jag) and a Sacrifice (Well tequila + Tomato Juice + Tabasco)

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Verr posted:

So, the Apocalypse is happening next Friday. I volunteered for the shift.

I want to run a special. What should the shot/mixed drink/whatevs be? I was thinking a Solar Eclipse (Well tequila + Jag) and a Sacrifice (Well tequila + Tomato Juice + Tabasco)

Mayans drunk fermented chocolate.

Chilli and chocolate are awesome together.

So what about half Baileys, half milk with either some Tabasco (remember the milk will neutralise most of the heat) or even fresh chilli sticks?

Or a chilli vodka (absolut pepper at worst) layered with baileys for both a hot peppery hit and chocolate? Ideally you want the vodka first but I don't have any baileys at home to see which way it layers.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Masonity posted:

Mayans drunk fermented chocolate.

Chilli and chocolate are awesome together.

So what about half Baileys, half milk with either some Tabasco (remember the milk will neutralise most of the heat) or even fresh chilli sticks?

Or a chilli vodka (absolut pepper at worst) layered with baileys for both a hot peppery hit and chocolate? Ideally you want the vodka first but I don't have any baileys at home to see which way it layers.

Since when was baileys chocolate?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

tentish klown posted:

Since when was baileys chocolate?

Since always?

http://www.baileys.com/product-and-company-information/

Seeing as Cocoa is one of the main ingredients, I think it's fair to call it an alcoholic chocolate drink. Here in the UK it's the first thing we think of when we think "chocolate alcohol"...

Something similar with Creme de cacao could work too, but I've never used it so I have no idea what it mixes with or how it tastes. I've never seen any type of chocolate flavoured alcohol in a bar that isn't either Baileys or some awful shooter brand with 58 flavours.

edit:

http://www.baileys.com/our-story/

Go through the story, and once you have "make cream" and "make whiskey", you get to "add chocolate" which is the flavouring page.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 15, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Godiva makes good chocolate liqueurs that are fairly easy to find in the US.

I've never associated Bailey's with chocolate. It's boozy cream.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

Godiva makes good chocolate liqueurs that are fairly easy to find on the US.

Yeah but in Baileys you have the USA's best selling alcohol brand in December. It's America's Christmas Drink.

The world ends a few days before Christmas. So everyone is after a Baileys fix. Throw in a cool story of it being similar to what the Mayans actually drunk, tart it up a little, and you have yourself the perfect end of the world cocktail.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Bailey's up here is definitely a cream liqueur, when I make chocolate martinis I use the clear Creme de Cacao and vodka, plus whatever garnishes.

I think infusing some vodka yourself with thai chillies, or jalapenos would be good.

As a final aside, I've heard before that milk is supposed to neutralize the heat of peppers and such, but it always tasted like pure vomit to me.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
You could use Kahlua instead and end up with a chili infused White Russian. Garnish with a shaving of unsweetened baking chocolate.

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
My bar's in a hotel, so 'the bar is closed but there's still people around' is pretty common. But can someone tell me if the following sounds at all familiar. At first I thought "this guy must be a bit slow, whatever!" but it's become depressingly frequent now.

:cheers: (Me) In the bar after closing. The doors are locked, the fridges are locked, every single light is turned off. I am counting the till, cash all over the bar, going just by the light from the POS screen. From the outside this is a pitch black, locked, very closed room.

:downs: *tries door, finds it to be locked, knocks*
:cheers: *is surrounded by cash, 100% closed, decides to ignore knocking until it goes away*
:downs: *KNOCK KNOCK!!*
:cheers: *peers around bar at the douchebag at the door*
:downs: *shakes door! KNOCK loving KNOCK!!*
:cheers: *Reluctantly puts cash back into the drawer, walks around the bar, runs into a few things because it's pitch loving black, opens door* "Yes?"
:downs: "Hey, are you still open?"

EVERY. GOD DAMNED. WEEKEND!!
If the bar is open but temporarily unattended people will wait, or call for assistance, or generally act like a sensible human being. As soon as the bar is completely, totally, glaringly obviously closed, locked, dark, turned off, shut down, packed away and generally no longer open, it's like I've put out a big neon signs outside the door saying "Ask me if I'm still serving! Seriously, I might be!"

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I never get that, but what I do get is folk actually arguing about when they have to leave the bar. "Right, that's it, bar's shut. everyone gently caress off, I'm locking up. Either tan your drink or im taking it off ye."
*points at my missus having a drink while I close* "fit aboot her? why can she stay and ah have tae leave?"
I tried explaining she was my bird and was waiting for me, but nae chance. Now just say "it's my loving bar and ah decide wha gets tae stay and wha disnae. Noo GIT TAE gently caress." That usually works.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I've been a restaurant bartender as well as a server at two consecutive fine dining restaurants, the second of which I'm about ready to quit because they decided they want me to manage now. This is a dumb question, but I want to move into nightlife bartending so I can go back to school. What the gently caress should I wear to the interview? Am I going to get laughed out of the building for wearing my standard immaculately pressed shirt/pants with a nice tie? Should I dress down a little? I'm not thinking a dress-code type of place, but not a hipster/dive bar either.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Dress slightly above the existing staff. For a nightclub I'd say blacks is fine, no tie.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dramatika posted:

I've been a restaurant bartender as well as a server at two consecutive fine dining restaurants, the second of which I'm about ready to quit because they decided they want me to manage now. This is a dumb question, but I want to move into nightlife bartending so I can go back to school. What the gently caress should I wear to the interview? Am I going to get laughed out of the building for wearing my standard immaculately pressed shirt/pants with a nice tie? Should I dress down a little? I'm not thinking a dress-code type of place, but not a hipster/dive bar either.

Black pants and black button down unless you know something about the place that would cause you to think otherwise. Like if it's a hipster nightclub. Then you wear slightly formalized hipster clothes.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 16, 2012

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a tip, it turns out castor sugar is really effective at clotting wounds! I got this off the radio, and wasn't certain about its legitimacy but I tried it out in the field tonight and despite the fact I was having a pretty boozy Sunday shift, a cut from a serrated knife was pretty much entirely stopped bleeding after about 10 minutes by coating it in sugar. I don't know how well known this is, I've never heard it before so hopefully someone will get some mileage out of it

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Doesn't Bacteria loving love diluted sugars? It might stop bleeding but I'd be worried about infection.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's an infection waiting to happen.

Close the wound, apply direct, precise pressure. You can stop a grizzly rear end arterial bleed in forty seconds so long as you can locate the exact source off the bleed and apply a lot of pressure exactly there for long enough for a clot to form.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 16, 2012

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
On the discussion of wounds and such, I've got two nasty knocks on my knuckles right now, both of them from our shitkicker ice bin. How does NewSkin liquid bandage hold up in bar sinks? Will it just melt off/dissolve into the water? I ask because I'm headed back in (after 18 loving. hours. yesterday) in about 3 hours and need these little guys all closed up!

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Bacteria love diluted sugar, but they shrivel and die in concentrated sugar. This is why honey will only rarely go bad. The concentration required to achieve this may or may not be reached in your sugar-filled wounds.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
SG is an EMT, so I'd really trust his advice.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Frozen Horse posted:

Bacteria love diluted sugar, but they shrivel and die in concentrated sugar. This is why honey will only rarely go bad. The concentration required to achieve this may or may not be reached in your sugar-filled wounds.

Your blood has water in it. This will mix with the sugar somewhat and give bacteria a possible foothold.

We have concentrated sugar we give IV to diabetics in need. It absolutely has to go in a vein. If you pump it into a muscle or your line is no good and it goes into anything else you get a big necrotic abscess.

Putting sugar on a wound is probably something you can get away with with a little luck and a good immune system. Not worth the risk of the kind of infection you're courting though.

I use that liquid bandage stuff all the time for little cuts and such on my hands at work. It holds up to repeated hand washings and a lot of abuse and it works really well and I think everyone who works with their hands should have a little bottle of it. Don't share it though, obviously.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 17, 2012

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I went to my GM one night asking for a bandage for a cut on my hand and he told me he'd give me ten bucks if he could squeeze a lime into it. So that managed to evolve into whenever someone cut themselves, he'd duct tape a lime wedge do it. Then you obviously have a safety meeting, because safety first.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A lime is very acidic and that method is unlikely to cause infection imo

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

jackpot

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I get a cut i just have everyone at the bar spit on it and rub it in a little

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Bit of vodka on a dirty napkin usually does the trick

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The threat of unemployment is a wonderful antiseptic.

Have any of you started working a different bar whilst you work your primary gig? I was offered a shift at our local VFW, which has better customers/hours/tips than my bar, but I know word would spread though my tiny town in a heartbeat. I doubt my owner would be super upset, but they did offer my broke-rear end, no experience-self a job on a single recommendation.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 17, 2012

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Verr posted:

The threat of unemployment is a wonderful antiseptic.

Have any of you started working a different bar whilst you work your primary gig? I was offered a shift at our local VFW, which has better customers/hours/tips than my bar, but I know word would spread though my tiny town in a heartbeat. I doubt my owner would be super upset, but they did offer my broke-rear end, no experience-self a job on a single recommendation.

At the end of the day you have to do what's in your own interests. Weigh it up, sometimes slightly better pay isn't worth a boring/unhappy job. Sometimes it is. Don't get into that trap where you think you "have" to stay somewhere. Your boss will just hire someone else and time will move on.

My pay is below average for Australia, particularly with my experience, but I work with amazing people. I could work elsewhere for better pay but choose not to. Everyone has to make that choice. Working in Australia is the best, lots of jobs, great pay, good tips (depending where you work)

On that note did anyone have a good staff Xmas party? I don't think I've ever been so drunk over the course of a whole day in my life. Wild stuff, including a female co-owner making out with two staff members despite being engaged.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So there is a country club or whatever in a nearby decent middle/upper-middle class neighborhood (not gated or anything, but has a golf course and as mentioned, a club for everyone who lives there, is generally pretty nice) and my friend works there and could get me an in as a server. He says that he bartends and serves drinks sometimes there, and I'm wondering if quitting my job and working there for the next 6-8 months would be decent experience for getting a better bartending gig when I move to university (of Houston, if that matters). Basically, has anyone tended bar at neighborhood club types of places (and/or have the hookup on a bartending gig in the Houston area? I will work extra hard, promise) and at the very least it has to be better experience than just working lovely non-hospitality retail as I am currently?

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

FaceEater posted:

On the discussion of wounds and such, I've got two nasty knocks on my knuckles right now, both of them from our shitkicker ice bin. How does NewSkin liquid bandage hold up in bar sinks? Will it just melt off/dissolve into the water? I ask because I'm headed back in (after 18 loving. hours. yesterday) in about 3 hours and need these little guys all closed up!

Newskin is awesome, put on 2 coats and you're invincible for the night. Just remember to reapply and quickly wipe off at the end though, otherwise the wounds won't be able to breathe and heal up.

And for the love of god, never use finger cots.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Kial posted:

On that note did anyone have a good staff Xmas party? I don't think I've ever been so drunk over the course of a whole day in my life. Wild stuff, including a female co-owner making out with two staff members despite being engaged.

A Christmas party in December? Are you crazy?

Ours will be in mid January when the trade drops off.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Kial posted:

My pay is below average for Australia, particularly with my experience, but I work with amazing people. I could work elsewhere for better pay but choose not to. Everyone has to make that choice. Working in Australia is the best, lots of jobs, great pay, good tips (depending where you work)

As an aussie I'm curious what the average wage is for us bartenders?

The Slippery Nipple fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 17, 2012

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Kial posted:

At the end of the day you have to do what's in your own interests. Weigh it up, sometimes slightly better pay isn't worth a boring/unhappy job. Sometimes it is. Don't get into that trap where you think you "have" to stay somewhere. Your boss will just hire someone else and time will move on.

I would kill someone to be able to emigrate to Australia. I was there for 6 months in college (study abroad), and I still miss it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

an skeleton posted:

And at the very least it has to be better experience than just working lovely non-hospitality retail as I am currently?

Yes it will, and provided you get behind the bar there it will be good experience for getting a future bartending gig. Lots of people get their start at country-club type places.

Also don't overlook the serving experience, there are far more serving positions out there then there are bartending ones, and many of them pay better than being behind the wood.

So I've got a bit of an issue; I recently picked up a third job at a mainly student pub - lots of live music and comedy acts, and so on. But this place has no management anymore - the owners fired the old one and didn't bother replacing him - and a viciously high turnover rate. The reason for this appears to be how much of a shoe-string operation this is - bar-fridge clasps are broken, ditto the glass washer, third-rate keg system, etc. This place is basically throwing up warning flags for me and I've only been there for 3 shifts.

The owner is the head cook but has freely admitted to me that she has no experience with running the FoH side of the business, and casually asked me what I thought of the liquor prices on my second shift, which are all over the map for Vancouver. Basil Hayden and Woodfords for 6 bucks, well and some of the liqueurs for 4, Patron for 9, Tanqueray 10 for 5.50 - no real rhyme or reason to it that I can see. Now normally this wouldn't be an issue for me, as long as I'm selling, but the owner has now asked me if I wouldn't mind coming in early one day and correcting all the drat prices, and maybe coming up with a list of more realistic cocktails than their current ones which, shock of shocks, students aren't buying.

I've never managed a bar before, and I have little desire to do so - especially while I'm still at school myself; what I've heard about the stress involved doesn't make me want to take on those kinds of responsibilities. Worse than that would be doing managerial type stuff for regular pay. Has anyone else here stuck it out in a joint that could definitely use some fixing up? I could use a little advice on how to handle this, and whether my perceptions are off.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Your perceptions are probably correct. You should insist on more pay for more responsibility, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If there are other jobs available I would high tail it out of there. Either that or ask for a higher hourly wage since the owner expects you to basically manage the bar.

• Locked thread