Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah I was leaning mage or monk. I did have a question regarding leveling gear. Do I just buy gear from bazaar every so often? Is that pretty much the way to do it? And for casters spells how often am I making trips to pok to get the spells?

And is there any goons that play on luclin? Or should I start on another server? I'd like some epic help eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I'm a Monk fan myself. I wouldn't pick a necro unless you really like their appeal, as long dots are unsuitable for the fast killing that you usually do these days.

Ranger is pretty neat - decent DPS, utility and buffs plus archery and headshotting. You will also have the huge advantage of tracking, which I personally think is almost a game-changer. Particularly if you're two friends returning for nostalgia, I think you will have so much enjoyment from being able to tracking and spot rares. EQ is a game of hidden rares and secrets, and tracking kicks butt for actually finding them.

Heck, I think I might roll a ranger for my new Test-triple box team that I'm making tonight! :)

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Yeah my main was a bard so tracking was awesome. I have no idea how rangers work now though. Am I strictly dosing with my bow? Is there anyone who can give a rundown on them?

And does anyone still play consistently. It'd be fun to ask some newbie questions if people can answer.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You can buy defiant gear from the Bazaar, as well as a NPC vendor in the Plane of Knowledge. It also drops randomly from all mobs, so you will inevitably come across upgrades while you grind. After level 80 or so defiant becomes obsolete, and you need to get the armor from each expansion. Someone else can help you out with that, I have never played a character past 85.

As for caster spells, I think nowadays you get spells every single level. When I was leveling my 3box team, I would stop and buy spells every 5-10 levels, depending on how important the new spells were.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 14, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Cbear posted:

I have no idea how rangers work now though. Am I strictly dosing with my bow? Is there anyone who can give a rundown on them?
Not strictly bow dps, as far as I read, it's only better than melee dps if you use disciplines. You melee and cast fast-casting spells, and use your buffs on yourself, including buffs that add weapon procs. Note that I haven't played a ranger past lvl 81, but I believe it's approximately how it works.

pitofdespair
Jul 10, 2001

Devor posted:

For the bard AA that increases the runspeed cap, does it affect everyone in my group that gets hit with Selos? Or just the bard? If it's the latter, it seems like that AA would be actively bad for grouping.

It's great for pulling, you can't/won't always keep Selo's up.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pitofdespair posted:

It's great for pulling, you can't/won't always keep Selo's up.

I should have explained when I said grouping I'm thinking more about my triple-boxing, so auto-run following would get really borked. My monk is probably going to have a similar problem with his base runspeed, since he's already got Run7 (that's faster than Spirit of Shrew indoors, yeah?)

Is it possible to refund AAs?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I don't think so, but for autofollow, have the bard put it on and lead with another character.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ponzicar posted:

I don't think so, but for autofollow, have the bard put it on and lead with another character.

Yeah the general rule since forever of bard autofollow is the bard never leads

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Devor posted:

Is it possible to refund AAs?

You can reset your AA's whenever you want on Test.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

RCarr posted:

You can reset your AA's whenever you want on Test.

I want to preface this post by saying that I am not trolling, but I am finding it harder and harder to understand why people are on Test, so perhaps someone can shed some light on the situation.

For example, the server is a ghost town, or at least was up until just recently with the new expansion and soon will be again, most likely (correct me of I am wrong). Yes, there is double experience and a lot of different rules, but as the server is a prison, not allowing people to transfer characters out, I'm not sure of the appeal. Again, I am willing to be educated, but I like that my three 80's have the ability (at an exorbitant fee) to jump to any other "regular" server if I see a good reason. Test seems very, very restrictive.

I'm actually about to go and buy a game card and start my Froglok wizard tonight on Luclin (I hope that the name that I want is still available) and if any of you test buggers would like to make characters on Luclin and join me, that would be grand. For now, though, I don't see the appeal of building up a toon on Test (at double speed, I'll grant you) and having him stuck there forevermore.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
You get gold status on test and all expansions (aside from RoF I guess?) for free. That's the only appeal outside of the exp. I might copy my characters over when my sub runs dry, just for when I get the itch to log in for some nostalgia. With the 3x station cash -> subscription thing over, I don't think I'll be playing anymore for awhile.

Has the population spiked decently since the F2p move? Because back in HoT era I would go literally entire play sessions without seeing a single player on test. gently caress that server basically.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 15, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

The free appeal is huge though, when boxing. I wouldn't mind paying $15 per month, but $45 or $60 is just too much.

BTW, I found this site which is a complete database of AAs. Here's a Monk Class AA search, for example:

http://eqaasearch.org/aainfo.asp?search_fd5=3-Class&search_fd12=Monk

It would be nice if you could collapse the AAs with the same name, but it's still very nice.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Pilsner posted:

The free appeal is huge though, when boxing. I wouldn't mind paying $15 per month, but $45 or $60 is just too much.

This is why I am on Test. There are still a few active guilds, but I have no intention of raiding on a set schedule and I run my own box-groups, so I don't need the ability to join active groups on a server. Now I get to play totally for free with bonus xp. I think almost all the Test goons are the same. If you're only playing a single box and are dependent on grouping for progress, Test is not your answer. If you're running an army (the only entertaining way to play EQ these days if you aren't a raider), then you can still goon chat with the serverwide channel and do everything else free on Test.

On the off-chance I feel like just playing a single character, guild's always got some poo poo going I can join in on. Only way I'll move back to non-Test is if/when the next Goon resurgence happens. My Luclin time died the minute they stopped letting me use plat for sub time.

vvv Also, that. If I were to actually spend more than 2-3 hours per month playing, I'd probably be on Al'Kabor at this point.

MrTheDevious fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 15, 2012

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

I want to preface this post by saying that I am not trolling, but I am finding it harder and harder to understand why people are on Test, so perhaps someone can shed some light on the situation.

For example, the server is a ghost town, or at least was up until just recently with the new expansion and soon will be again, most likely (correct me of I am wrong). Yes, there is double experience and a lot of different rules, but as the server is a prison, not allowing people to transfer characters out, I'm not sure of the appeal. Again, I am willing to be educated, but I like that my three 80's have the ability (at an exorbitant fee) to jump to any other "regular" server if I see a good reason. Test seems very, very restrictive.

I'm actually about to go and buy a game card and start my Froglok wizard tonight on Luclin (I hope that the name that I want is still available) and if any of you test buggers would like to make characters on Luclin and join me, that would be grand. For now, though, I don't see the appeal of building up a toon on Test (at double speed, I'll grant you) and having him stuck there forevermore.

I play on Test because I know I would never come back to this game for that long. Once a year I get a strong urge to play this game. I'll play for a month max before I remember why I quit in the first place. For me, and others like me, Test is really the best place to scratch that itch.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
I don't think transferring off is that big a deal when you aren't concerned with things that require a big population, like raiding or putting together pick up groups. A lot of us after all have no desire to raid, and put together our own daily group just so we don't have to spend time LFG.

These days, a low population is becoming less of an argument for test as well I think, because it honestly has a sizable population comparable to some standard servers thanks to the free gold account. I wouldn't recommend it for the raiding game, but there are guilds gathering and recruiting occasionally on test.

The biggest reason not to play test right now is the lack of anything for sale at the bazaar, and offline selling is making some strides in that area as well. Not that there is much to buy anyway if you aren't on FV, just about everything is attunable these days.

It's a different experience sure, but for me, the EQ prison is the lower exp rate that I have to pay $15 a month per account for.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Transferred all my chars of note! I'm back in business as Zliz & Orakul, 95 monk & 94 shaman on Test. I keep debating whether to start a new box team for fun or hit up some VoA/RoF content (would help if my test accounts had the expansion though... eh?) and progress. It's nice how they opened up the VoA AAs by giving the advanced language skill to everyone, just finally got the Monk "death grip" AA (Moving Mountains).

I have a 90 Bard box too that I levelled up a while ago. I find bards really boring and non-interactive though, even though they're technically good 3rd box material since they're so passive. What are other good 3rd boxes? I was thinking an enchanter (not sure why really), or perhaps a magician for the pet, damage shield and nuke fun. Heck, perhaps even a druid or wizard for ports and nuking.

Edit: I've scoured the lvl 86-90 spells of these classes on ZAM (which gives a great indication of the general battle spells a class will be using), and while they all seem rather mundane, I also realize that AAs are such a huge part of classes now, boosting spells to the roof an adding new abilities. Which would you say is great damage and utility class (for example, out of magician, druid, necro and wizard) for a 3rd box?

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 15, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Awww yeah Zliz on Test :siren:

Just make another really, really easy-to-box DPS. My SK is ridiculously fun to play, but merc tanks do just fine. My monk/sk/bard/sham really just lacked DPS. I'd probably make a Mage if I were 3boxing the monk/sham and a third. I got my Wizard to 80 though and he was pretty drat awesome too, just because of easyass DPS and ports.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

What's really hosed up is that I already got a lvl 90 Magician, but he's on the shaman's account. :downs: Remember that sploit we used swarming in the robot anniversary instance? Oooh yeah, went from the mid 70's to lvl 90 in a long evening. Good times.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

HAHAHA hell yeah I remember that, I stopped playing quickly thereafter due to overwhelming robot swarm burnout :black101:

I'm gonna have to actually log in and gently caress around if you're going to be on test

Poopsocks
Feb 22, 2009
Thinking about coming back seeing as the game is free to play now, I still have my original account that I created back in 1999, and I still have a rogue with an epic and a bard with an epic, not sure on max level, but I was maxed out and the time that planes of power was out.

My charecters are all but completely naked minus the epic and whatever BOP items I had at the time, is there any hope of me re playing these guys in the f2p mode and getting them somewhat decent stuff to start playing again, or am I doomed to just make a new guy and start over?

I do remember logging in and having the veteran bonus, is that still around and is it helpful at all any way?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
:tviv:

I picked up what may or may not be a full set of the Mass Group Buffs on my monk (level 66), and my attack went from 1600 to 2400. I think my max hp roughly doubled. Wonder what this does to his damage output.

Edit - Do buffs stick to mercs if I have them out? Do they make a massive difference for them?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Devor posted:

:tviv:

I picked up what may or may not be a full set of the Mass Group Buffs on my monk (level 66), and my attack went from 1600 to 2400. I think my max hp roughly doubled. Wonder what this does to his damage output.

Edit - Do buffs stick to mercs if I have them out? Do they make a massive difference for them?

It will turn you into a killing machine.

Yes and Yes.

Mercs are more limited on buff slots, but buffs work fine on them.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Poopsocks posted:

Thinking about coming back seeing as the game is free to play now, I still have my original account that I created back in 1999, and I still have a rogue with an epic and a bard with an epic, not sure on max level, but I was maxed out and the time that planes of power was out.

My charecters are all but completely naked minus the epic and whatever BOP items I had at the time, is there any hope of me re playing these guys in the f2p mode and getting them somewhat decent stuff to start playing again, or am I doomed to just make a new guy and start over?

I do remember logging in and having the veteran bonus, is that still around and is it helpful at all any way?

You sound like you're about where I was when I rejoined back in April. You'll be 65. Hit up the bazaar. All your raid gear is now garabage. Buy defiant gear, and don't pay a lot for it. You'll be set then.

The only vet bonus I really use is the Lesson of the Devoted, which is double exp for 30 minutes. There's also a Servant something vet bonus that I use with it, he gives some heals and hastes you (but a healer merc is better and you can use cheap haste pots). He's still useful though. The others are okay, but get a lot less use.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
So were ready to start. The next question is server choice. Is FV a bad idea if we want to go back and kill old stuff? Will it be camped now?

Is Luclin even an option?

Any input is appreciaged

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Cbear posted:

So were ready to start. The next question is server choice. Is FV a bad idea if we want to go back and kill old stuff? Will it be camped now?

Is Luclin even an option?

Any input is appreciaged

I've never heard anyone recommend FV. I don't know why Luclin wouldn't be an option. Most of us still have our toons there - when you copy to test, it's just that, a copy. Although I doubt I'll ever play on Luclin again. But you can level up on Luclin, make use of the bazaar to get starting defiant gear, then copy over later.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

xZAOx posted:

I've never heard anyone recommend FV. I don't know why Luclin wouldn't be an option. Most of us still have our toons there - when you copy to test, it's just that, a copy. Although I doubt I'll ever play on Luclin again. But you can level up on Luclin, make use of the bazaar to get starting defiant gear, then copy over later.

There have been 2-3 of us on the last 2 pages recommending FV.

You can go from 1-65 in about an hour with damage shield powerleveling. 65-75 in another half hour with swarm/headshot powerleveling. I'm sure you can do this on Luclin too. The difference is, you can immediately go to the Bazaar on FV and buy faction-locked and no-drop gear. Solteris raid gear costs 75k for a visible armor set. All the expansion group armor after that is similar. You can either buy the component fairly cheaply and make the armor yourself (with someone who has faction buying the molds and stuff when needed) or you can buy a piece of group armor someone else in your class already made and doesn't use anymore. Bored of your class and want to try another one? Sell your old gear and buy new gear for your new class. The recirculating gear is great on FV.

Oh yeah same for spells. Once you powerlevel through you can immediately buy the spell turn-in drops from the bazaar and get all your spells. They are much cheaper than even the research solutions to make the spells. Just macro overnight to catch up some skills and you have a useable character in a day. On Luclin, you're stuck grinding factions or camping drops for hours before you can even gear out well enough to play the game at an enjoyable rate. Defiant armor is not an option. Despite what people tell you, it's awful stuff.

The way to tell if a mob on FV is camped is if it drops anything of value. Most old mobs don't anymore, except for fast mount droppers and items with unique clicky effects. Unless you really want to kill Seru, you should be able to kill most any old world boss just fine. FV really is great if you don't have a lot of time to spend.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

If you have any station cash they put up a couple really good items they pulled before.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=97303 - 10 pt dmg shield slot 9. Stacks with a lot. 200 SC.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=97296 - 5% dodge stacks with shoulder dodge clicky effect. 200 SC.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Come to Firiona Vie, clearly the best choice (Not test, unless you like boxing with 16 man team, alone).

No other server can you get the old gnome mask from sleepers tomb, or buy your way to the top. Think about how awesome no no drop is, plus, ye olde roleplayers, and as a bonus, Lucerin is STILL here.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
FV it is. Is there a guild that will take a couple scrubs? We're not going to be begging or anything. Just want to ask random dumb questions occasionally.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cbear posted:

FV it is. Is there a guild that will take a couple scrubs? We're not going to be begging or anything. Just want to ask random dumb questions occasionally.

Send all dumb tells/questions to Zanzabar on Firiona Vie(that's me, not just some guy I feel like trolling).

I can also hook you up with equipment/money as well because you're a goon(shh it's a secret club).

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Pon de Bundy posted:

No other server can you get the old gnome mask from sleepers tomb

Speaking of this, I've asked in game to no avail, but does anyone on FV or any other server have one they can testcopy for me? Thanks!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm thinking of starting a Mage/Mage/Mage 3box. Maybe 4 mages. Would this be fun? It seems like I would just be able to wreck poo poo.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sancho posted:

There have been 2-3 of us on the last 2 pages recommending FV.

I guess my brain blocked them out. All I ever heard about FV was "Somalia", and how horrible chat was, and how "everything is camped" (obviously an exaggeration). Everyone I heard talked about how horrible it was.

It's definitely an interesting idea for EQ though.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Zek you pansys.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Pon de Bundy posted:

Lucerin is STILL here.

Trolling Lucerin is general chat! :getin:.

xZAOx posted:

I guess my brain blocked them out. All I ever heard about FV was "Somalia", and how horrible chat was, and how "everything is camped" (obviously an exaggeration). Everyone I heard talked about how horrible it was.

Pretty much everyone I know who plays FV wouldn't consider leaving, except to go to test due to not wanting to pay anymore. The population is decent, you can buy fantastic gear that you would need to raid for otherwise (Granted, it costs a shitload, but if you're good at playing the economy that's not an issue.), Theres an EXP boost, Millions of exp potions on top of exp boost, and of course Lucerin.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 15, 2012

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

RCarr posted:

I'm thinking of starting a Mage/Mage/Mage 3box. Maybe 4 mages. Would this be fun? It seems like I would just be able to wreck poo poo.

I tried 3vand it was interesting, but I got bored of them around level 65. I just decided a few days ago to make an all gnome group though, will be mage, necro, wizard, chanter, then tank/healer gnome mercs. I figure I've got most bases covered, fd pulling, snare, ports/evac, dps, pets, haste/mana buffs, debuffs/slows, etc

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

xZAOx posted:

It's definitely an interesting idea for EQ though.

I still refer to it as Somalia :colbert: Mostly just because I'm not sure what I'd do if I was on FV, bought raid gear, and still had no intention to raid. The fun part of EQ for my non-raiding box crew was working through progression and actually getting upgrades. If I just bought the best possible gear and wasn't raiding, I'm not sure what I'd do with my characters. Especially since apparently everything possible is already camped :(

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

I still refer to it as Somalia :colbert: Mostly just because I'm not sure what I'd do if I was on FV, bought raid gear, and still had no intention to raid. The fun part of EQ for my non-raiding box crew was working through progression and actually getting upgrades. If I just bought the best possible gear and wasn't raiding, I'm not sure what I'd do with my characters. Especially since apparently everything possible is already camped :(

People seem to like to swarm zones. Maybe you can try that! It's actually pretty fun pulling all of Chardok or BoT or some other old world zone. I can definitely see the appeal in how you play, but you have to admit raiding takes a fair amount of uninterrupted time.

Anyone on FV look me up and I'll make you jewelry. It beats the hell out of defiant, but has no focus effects. You'll have to supplement with tribute focus until you get something better. Name is Wylliamt Riker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Haha Wylliamt I'm sorry I'm such a newbie. I'm an iksar and have no idea how to make what you're saying look normal to me. Never been on a RP server. Is there a password I can get to the general channel or something?