Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Is that a motorsport club of ottawa sticker on the roll hoops? If so, I expect to see you at autocross next year. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
You'll see me at autocrosses, but only around the WV/KY/OH tristate. Though Ottawa sounds like more fun, it's a bit of a drive. That's a generic SCCA sticker courtesy of the PO.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ah, nice... MCO's logo is:

So I'm not completely crazy...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That looks pretty good for $160.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

revmoo posted:

That looks pretty good for $160.

The camera flash isn't too kind to the vinyl -- it shows up lots of little folds and creases that don't really show in person. Those imperfections that are there are probably down to my skills (or lack thereof) than any problems with the top. I had to trim it down in the depths of the B-pillars, but as far as the quality of fit and finish goes I have no complaints.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Plugs and wires done, sputtering/shuddering at low rpm/high load is gone. Yay!

E: noticeably smoother throughout the whole rev range too. The plugs don't look too bad, decent carbon buildup but don't look destroyed, the wires on the other hand are floppy as poo poo compared to the new NKG blues.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 11, 2012

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Anyone have an NA stereo they want to sell?

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Oh, Japan. Never change. :allears:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Fantastic use of an NB coupe.

Luminair
Oct 29, 2007

SHITWAFFLES
Are you gentlemen primarily finding these on Craigslist? Perhaps it's my area in Southern California, but I haven't had a huge amount of luck finding a great deal. It may be that they're picking up in popularity again, though.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

My MX5 just got stolen last night :cry:

Parts are probably worth more so she's probably been stripped by now, gutted, I loved that car.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

willie_dee posted:

My MX5 just got stolen last night :cry:

drat, sorry to hear that.

Hug it out bro.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Feeling better about my paintwork. Soon as it quits raining I'm going to sand it a little more and give it a really good polish. I'm hopeful I can squeeze a bit more shine out of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It already looks pretty good. If we had more than about 30 seconds of daylight a day I'd grab a photographer friend and take some pictures of mine to make you feel better.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
We should have a "who has the most beaten up miata" contest.

part of my front bumper is held on with duct tape:smug:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

part of my front bumper is held on with duct tape:smug:

I have no hood, bumper, or front fenders, rolling on corded tires :smuggo:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have no hood, bumper, or front fenders, rolling on corded tires :smuggo:

jesus , is that even street legal?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

jesus , is that even street legal?

I'm in Tennessee, everything is legal...that or all the cops just really don't give a poo poo.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Picking up a 97' Miata on friday. 200K Miles for $1,250. Exactly what I wanted, a cheap miata to fix during the winter for AutoX/Tracking/Mountain runs in the spring.

It has a ton of new stuff, top, brakes, struts, timing belt and more. The only issue is some rocker panel rust. I can't decide if I want to give it a go myself or just bring it somewhere and suck up the price since the initial cost was so little. I am just going to feel stupid spending money on r-comps and a suspension when I have rust.

Anyway I am just amazed at how well it handled, steering was absurdly tight and it cornered so accurately, couldn't believe it had 200K!

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Voltage posted:

Anyway I am just amazed at how well it handled, steering was absurdly tight and it cornered so accurately, couldn't believe it had 200K!

Just wait 'till you put poly bushings in it!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My plastic window cracked YAY! Right before I planned on selling it, perfect timing :argh:

If I can't find another top cheap I'm gonna try using cheap vinyl and marine sealant and call it a day.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
These Polks still the pick for cheap, decent NA door replacement speakers?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0NJPS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
I have these in my 90 and I really like them

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Reference-6032si-Performance-Loudspeaker/dp/B002C8AFEE

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

craig588 posted:

Just wait 'till you put poly bushings in it!

And get that God awful lube EVERYWHERE.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Phone posted:

And get that God awful lube EVERYWHERE.

Wasn't there someone that installed grease Zerks on every suspension component that had a poly bushing so he could grease them regularly?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

Wasn't there someone that installed grease Zerks on every suspension component that had a poly bushing so he could grease them regularly?

There's been a few. When I bought mine when energy suspension just started making them one of the retailers was recommending people do that. I said gently caress that and just lubed mine up with the supplied grease. No squeaking here 4 years later, and my car has been in Alaska for the last 3 years and not beautiful warm California.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wasn't aware that it was really something you could install on an existing part easily. Do they make threaded ones - I imagine you drill and tap a hole into the bushing mounting area of the hard part?

How do you get the old grease out? Most of the poly bushings on my WRX are loose enough that I guess you could just blow the old stuff out by injecting a ton of new stuff.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 19, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy the right size drill and a tap, put in the Zerk fittings, use a greasegun.

I bought the Zerks, but didn't have the drill or tap. :effort:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

I have finally figured out what my first "if I win the lottery" car purchase would be. Behold, the miata shooting brake:

small, lightweight, yet still enough trunk to haul around my junk. Get it with a T top to preserve some sort of "convertible" feel, and it would be the perfect car.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had a truck with zerk fittings on most (Or all? It's been a couple years) of the bushings and ball joints and when they were freshly greased I didn't notice a difference compared to the 2 years worth of dirt that was pushed out. It also was a work truck that never had any limits pushed so maybe that's why I didn't notice it. It came down to how much I valued my time versus how much gain or loss I'd have from possibly permitting better movement with fresh grease versus possibly compromising the suspension components by drilling them.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 20, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I have finally figured out what my first "if I win the lottery" car purchase would be. Behold, the miata shooting brake:

small, lightweight, yet still enough trunk to haul around my junk. Get it with a T top to preserve some sort of "convertible" feel, and it would be the perfect car.

Please tell me this isn't a photoshop, though I'm pretty sure it is since that rear window seems an awful lot like the kink on a Mazda3.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Well I have some good news for you; forget the lottery.

A bit heavier, certainly, but with all the power and fuel economy a Miata guy could ever want at a much lower price than custom-building anything.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Except buy an E85 M instead.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
Something is rattling at the back of my Miata when going over bumps. Even small ones, although it's much quieter with small ones. It'll tap about four times in quick succession. It sounds like it's centered in the car, behind me...almost as if it's in the cabin/rear shelf area. I thought it might be something loose on the roll bar, but it isn't, and I can't see what else it might be back there. There just isn't anything else inside the cabin, and I had the carpet and so on out just recently when replacing the top. Nothing loose back there. (And yes, it made the noise before I did the top.)

Loose trunk lid? Something in the exhaust system? Suspension? I'm kind of at a loss as to how to go about troubleshooting it, as I can't reproduce it when I'm not actually driving.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Exhaust seems like a good place to start. See if you can grab it by the muffler can and shake it, there are little rubber hangers that isolate it from the frame that go to poo poo as the car gets older.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Exhaust seems like a good place to start. See if you can grab it by the muffler can and shake it, there are little rubber hangers that isolate it from the frame that go to poo poo as the car gets older.

I tried that. Well, I grabbed the outlet and gave it a good yank. It felt pretty solid.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Well I have some good news for you; forget the lottery.

A bit heavier, certainly, but with all the power and fuel economy a Miata guy could ever want at a much lower price than custom-building anything.

its... beautiful:swoon:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

saint gerald posted:

Something is rattling at the back of my Miata when going over bumps. Even small ones, although it's much quieter with small ones. It'll tap about four times in quick succession. It sounds like it's centered in the car, behind me...almost as if it's in the cabin/rear shelf area. I thought it might be something loose on the roll bar, but it isn't, and I can't see what else it might be back there. There just isn't anything else inside the cabin, and I had the carpet and so on out just recently when replacing the top. Nothing loose back there. (And yes, it made the noise before I did the top.)

Loose trunk lid? Something in the exhaust system? Suspension? I'm kind of at a loss as to how to go about troubleshooting it, as I can't reproduce it when I'm not actually driving.

My ECU got loose and was doing this to me. It sounded like it was coming from the shelf area and not anywhere near the floor but I was able to finally track it down to a loose bracket anchoring the ECU.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

craig588 posted:

My ECU got loose and was doing this to me. It sounded like it was coming from the shelf area and not anywhere near the floor but I was able to finally track it down to a loose bracket anchoring the ECU.

Behind the passenger seat, right? I'll check that. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

saint gerald posted:

When I had my miata with mousetrap style bar the frame of the top would flex a little and rattle against the style bar. I put a few layers of gorilla tape where it was happening and it stopped the sound.