Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Enter Char posted:

What are some good things to do with venison? My neighbor just gave me 2 lbs of ground and a 1 pound roast, and I have no idea what to do with it.

I'd say make burgers out of the ground ... not too sure on the roast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Cut that roast into two steaks and eat with French fries.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Enter Char posted:

What are some good things to do with venison? My neighbor just gave me 2 lbs of ground and a 1 pound roast, and I have no idea what to do with it.

A lot of people add fatty beef to ground venison to make for better burgers, as it tends to be extraordinarily lean on its own. Also, what Wiggles said.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have some duck breast, and since it's Korea it came pre-sliced instead of whole breasts like I wanted. It's fairly thin and has fat along one side. I'm not sure how to cook it to keep it juicy and get the fat nice and soft, any ideas?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I wouldn't know where to cut it. Having trouble getting a brining bucket that will fit in the fridge, too.

Sanitize an ice chest and add ice every 6 hours or so

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Enter Char posted:

Venison chili and venison burgundy out of the roast. Eat it up yum!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Can I substitute a baker's bar of chocolate for the chocolate bark/confectioner's coating? My grocery store was out. :/

I was going to make cake balls.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 15, 2012

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009
You can, but unless you temper it, it will make a mess in your hands as it melts very quickly. Or you could put lollipop sticks in them to make cake pops.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Stalizard posted:

A lot of people add fatty beef to ground venison to make for better burgers, as it tends to be extraordinarily lean on its own. Also, what Wiggles said.

This, if it's pure ground venison. Growing up, we'd always mix in beef suet as we ground it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Does anyone have experience with pavlovas? In particular, how do I stop mine from sinking after baking?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about making a cake for someone's birthday, but I always just do sponges so I thought I'd go for something a bit different. I was thinking about using shortbread as a base at the bottom, so presumably sponge wouldn't go with that (?) then on top something like whipped cream mixed with cherry jam or something and maybe even a chocolate cheesecake in between? Does anyone have any ideas? I wouldn't want the base to be that thick, I just want to make something a bit different to the usual Victoria Sponge.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I'm going to be making some beef stew for dinner tonight and would like to add some barley to it, what is the best way to cook the barley? I suppose I am asking if it is OK to put the barley in early or wait until later. I love barley but haven't had the chance to cook with it so I am not sure how quickly it falls apart or not.

e: android spellcheck

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 15, 2012

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I'm going to be making some beef stew for dinner tonight and would like to add some barley to it, what is the best way to cook the barley? I suppose I asking if it is OK to put the barley in early or wait until later. I love barley but haven't had the chance to cook with it so I not aire how quickly it falls apart or not.
It never really falls apart, it can take a lot of cooking. If you want it cooked it takes a good 35-40 minutes; an hour will get it really tender. Just rinse and drain it, and add to your stew to cook in the liquor. I'm jealous. It's pretty hard to screw up. You'll know if it's under, but in something like a stew, unless you want some definite bite to it, it's hard to overcook.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anyone have a preferred cinnamon roll recipe?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Can anybody recommend a book for a complete newbie? I'm looking for something where I can learn the basics and make some easy and tasty recipes. Something that I can start with and build upon.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Has anyone ever let the turkey rest for as long as you cooked it? Does a ca 3 hours rest make a positive difference from a ca 45 minute one?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

Does anyone have experience with pavlovas? In particular, how do I stop mine from sinking after baking?

It's been a while, but from what I can remember my mum telling me, just leave it in the oven once you've turned it off - Even over night.

So yeah, really slow cool down. I think.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Didion posted:

Has anyone ever let the turkey rest for as long as you cooked it? Does a ca 3 hours rest make a positive difference from a ca 45 minute one?

The best rule of thumb I've heard is rest for half as long as you cooked. Also what does ca mean.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The best rule of thumb I've heard is rest for half as long as you cooked. Also what does ca mean.

Probably "circa" in this case.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Chernabog posted:

Can anybody recommend a book for a complete newbie? I'm looking for something where I can learn the basics and make some easy and tasty recipes. Something that I can start with and build upon.

What about picking up a student cook book because it will teach you all the basics whilst being broad enough to give variety.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Chernabog posted:

How to Cook Everything and The Flavor Bible really helped me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Didion posted:

Wouldn't that just mean you were eating cold food?

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Wouldn't that just mean you were eating cold food?

Ramsay's Ultimate Christmas special was on the other day and it was something he recommended:

quote:

To ensure both the turkey and pork stuffing are cooked properly, I bake the stuffing separately. Another of my secrets is to rest the turkey for a couple of hours or more. As it relaxes, the juices are re-absorbed, making the meat succulent, tender and easier to carve. It may seem like a long time, but the texture will be improved the longer you leave the turkey to rest. Piping hot gravy will restore the heat

Having never tried that I'm curious if it's a worthwhile try.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
My man Kenji talks about the importance of resting your meat. Hurr hurr hurr.

Apparently the exact science of what's going on is a little different than 'the meat reabsorbs juice as it rests' but the results are what matter. The Modernist Cuisine guys say that the juice is becoming more viscous as it cools, so it stays in place better. Whatever.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

concerned mom posted:

What about picking up a student cook book because it will teach you all the basics whilst being broad enough to give variety.
Yeah, that could be a good place to start. I literally know nothing about cooking.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tendales posted:

My man Kenji talks about the importance of resting your meat. Hurr hurr hurr.

Apparently the exact science of what's going on is a little different than 'the meat reabsorbs juice as it rests' but the results are what matter. The Modernist Cuisine guys say that the juice is becoming more viscous as it cools, so it stays in place better. Whatever.
That link gives a pretty good overview of the mechanics of water transport in cooking meat, but it's actually even more complicated than that, as the denaturing of proteins plays a nontrivial role in the overall process. Cooking meat is actually a surprisingly complex system.

One of the things that gets called out there that's worth re-emphasising is that the time of resting isn't nearly as important as the final temperature prior to serving; leave the probe you're using during cooking to keep track of the behaviour of the meat during resting.

For food that I plan on resting for a long time I always wrap the whole thing in aluminium foil and leave it in an (empty) ice chest/cooler. This flattens out the `cooling curve', which makes it a lot more forgiving of timing (`normal' resting is one of those things where it goes from `good', `better', `ideal', to `you done hosed up' in fairly short order), and lets you finish up with cooking the meat first, then you can gently caress around with making the taters, bread, veg, whatever the gently caress after it's out of the oven.

It's something I learned from smoking---it's how every hole-in-the-wall bbq joint handles something like a brisket, but it's one of those things that's falling-off-a-log simple and works with all kinds of poo poo.

Bittman's book is good, but The Flavor Bible will really be more useful to someone who already has a pretty good working knowledge of the basics.

It's also worth pointing out that most of the recipes in How to Cook Everything are pretty uninspiring as presented. It's a good reference in terms of being nearly encyclopaedic, but almost everything profits from a little personalisation or dressing up. If you play music, How to Cook Everything is kinda like a fake book. It gives you the melody and the changes but if you play it exactly as written it'll sound pretty thin.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Didion posted:

Having never tried that I'm curious if it's a worthwhile try.

We always do this just because it's a bit easier, it's never come out badly.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I'd like to buy my mom a truffle product for Christmas. Would I be better of with French Black Summer Truffles - Whole, Brushed or White Truffle Puree? I actually meant to send her something like the first one for her birthday (4 days ago), but the company messed up and sent foie gras with truffles in it instead. She decided to keep it (worth about $20 more, anyway), but said she'd still like to try some unadulterated truffles. I know you can't get fresh ones this time of year (or they're sold out everywhere I've looked, at least), so which of the two products up above would be better? I think I'll probably get this truffle butter as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a recipe I'm going to try tomorrow that calls for some bacon, and I realized that I've never cooked bacon before. I assume that I just put it in a hot pan and flip it around until it's cooked, but I don't need to put oil in the pan beforehand do I?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I have a recipe I'm going to try tomorrow that calls for some bacon, and I realized that I've never cooked bacon before. I assume that I just put it in a hot pan and flip it around until it's cooked, but I don't need to put oil in the pan beforehand do I?

Nope, bacon will render out the fat needed to panfry pretty quickly. Just make sure not to do it in too hot of a pain unless you like burned bacon.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Yup, just be patient, keep it on medium or med-low heat and flip often and you will get delicious bacon perfection!

That Girl
Jun 21, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I usually start bacon in a cold pan, actually. I find it helps prevent curling and immediate burning.

More actually, I usually cook bacon on a sheet pan in the oven.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chernabog posted:

Depending on how you learn, Ratio might be a good thing to pick up too.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Cover your bacon in water in a pan, boil all the water off reduce heat to finish.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Jmcrofts posted:

Yup, just be patient, keep it on medium or med-low heat and flip often and you will get delicious bacon perfection!

My rule for pan-frying bacon: If you need to put on pants, you have the heat too high.
Doing it in the oven is also super convenient, especially if you're doing a large batch. I think there's a Good Eats episode about that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

C-Euro posted:

Rachel Ray's got you covered.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

MaliciousOnion posted:

They deflate when exposed to cold air. Leave it in the oven to cool down over a much longer period. Unless you are doing this then I dunno.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Someone hook me up with a good yuk gae jang recipe? Or any similar meat and veggie in spicy broth.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maangchi's website/youtube channel are the go-to source for Korean recipes

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/yukgaejang

I haven't made this one but Maangchi is a safe bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Does anyone have a good recipe for gingerbread cookies? I need to make some today and don't really have time to try out a bunch of random recipes found on random websites. Yes, this is poor planning.