Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Churchill tells England that an alliance with the Soviet Union is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ptk posted:

WW2 propaganda that emphasizes international solidarity in the struggle is kind of interesting.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

This is supposedly a thing:

maybe :nws:supposed thing:nws:

People on 4chan have been known to make fake screencaps like that after shootings for shits and giggles.

A very interesting lesson about history from Robert McNamara: Lesson 5: Proportionality Should be a Guideline in War

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

what is the goddam sense in comparing accidental and substance related deaths with homicides?

...and firearm homicides are a mere 40% of all homicides. Truly a negligible amount, hardly worth considering!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Anyone have the photo where someone painted this on a wall in, I want to say, the West Bank?

Journalism is Dead :dawkins101:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Anyone have the photo where someone painted this on a wall in, I want to say, the West Bank?

Libya:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Thank you! :)

Have some Emma Goldman in return.

Often misattributed as having said "If I can't dance I don't want to be in (/a part of) your revolution." which she probably would have said, but the actual quote was something more like "I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement should not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it. 'I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things.'"

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

super fart shooter posted:

what is the goddam sense in comparing accidental and substance related deaths with homicides?

...and firearm homicides are a mere 40% of all homicides. Truly a negligible amount, hardly worth considering!

It's a lot more than that.

FBI.gov posted:

Of the homicides for which the FBI received weapons data, most (71.8 percent) involved the use of firearms. Handguns comprised 70.5 percent of all firearms used in murders and nonnegligent manslaughters in 2009.

This chart appears to be conflating aggravated assault with violent crime.

Also, they decided that every object categorized as "Other weapons" is a baseball bat, rather than literally anything that isn't some sort of cutting instrument.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Honestly, if you're going to hashtag your tweet to increase public visibility, you shouldn't be surprised if a reporter asks you about it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/12/16/magazine/congo-color.html

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Thank you! :)

Have some Emma Goldman in return.

Often misattributed as having said "If I can't dance I don't want to be in (/a part of) your revolution." which she probably would have said, but the actual quote was something more like "I insisted that our Cause could not expect me to become a nun and that the movement should not be turned into a cloister. If it meant that, I did not want it. 'I want freedom, the right to self-expression, everybody's right to beautiful, radiant things.'"

Don't forget Ragtime, the American Les Miserables in which Goldman is a character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHxuN57jpTk

I love this song :3:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

j4on posted:

Honestly, if you're going to hashtag your tweet to increase public visibility, you shouldn't be surprised if a reporter asks you about it.

That's a hell of a thing:

quote:

Last month, as rebels supported by Rwanda advanced on Goma, the capital of mineral-rich North Kivu in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Richard Mosse was there to photograph the conflict. He has been documenting what he calls the “Hobbesian state of war” in the region on and off for two years using infrared film, which, because it was originally developed for military purposes, Mosse says is “the appropriate medium.” Foliage reflects infrared light and camouflage absorbs it, so infrared-sensitive film can reveal camouflaged troops and buildings, as well as produce the pink tints in these pictures. In this way, Mosse highlights the eastern Congo’s natural bounty while acknowledging both the medium’s origins and, he points out, the West’s tendency to see in the Congo only darkness and insanity.

Mister Batman
Oct 27, 2012
New Year's is coming up, and in the post-Soviet space it is a tradition that right before midnight, instead of Jay Leno or David Letterman, the country's leader goes on TV and addresses the nation. The first TV address was by CPSU General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE01NigPCIY
He talks mostly about the progress the country made that year, the CPSU's politics and upcoming congress, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ0Wm_iwk0c
After Brezhnev became increasingly ill and before Gorbachev came to power, TV anchor Igor Kirillov made the addresses instead as the General Secretaries of the time were not in good health. (The video is a weird mix of addresses).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTa3fDJqAjQ&t=92s
1986 was a little different, as United States President Ronald Reagan also made a new year's address to the Soviet people and Gorbachev to the American people, although it was aired during the nightly news program Vremya and not right before midnight. In 1988 the address was made by President-Elect George H.W. Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDhuAhmt-lA&t=85s
Gorbachev, however, could not make the 1992 address. Russia's president Boris Yeltsin, however, was ill and hospitalized at the time, and no one knew that he already filmed an address before falling ill. As a result, the address was made by stand-up comedian Mikhail Zadornov who hosted the post-midnight musical variety special. Boris Yeltsin's address (spliced in with Zadornov's in this video) wasn't shown until the next day, and was mostly political, dealing with the end of price controls on January 2, 1992 and privatization. Very representative of the beginnings of a new nation, in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSpiFvPUP4
Boris Yeltsin's most famous address was also not right before midnight, but earlier during the day when he announced that he is retiring and Prime Minister Putin would take his place. He mentions that many things didn't "pan out" as he hoped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4LLxY4RPwk
This was followed by Vladimir Putin's address, his first one as (acting) president. He will again be making the New Year's address this year after a 4-year interruption.

Meanwhile, I decided to look at last year's addresses in the more prominent post-Soviet states:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFHiSnJ7BrM&t=45s
Dmitriy Medvedev, then President of Russia (from 2008 to 2012), had the second-shortest address, at only 2 minutes and 5 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRjGWAgbedg&t=43s
Aleksandr Lukashenko, President of Belarus (since 1994) had the longest one, at 6 minutes and 10 seconds. It should be noted that it was said only in Russian despite Belarussian also being an official (and predominant) language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAux5qXwiP8&t=29s
Viktor Yanukovich, President of Ukraine (since 2010) had the shortest address, at slightly below 2 minutes. It should be noted that Yanukovich is not a native Ukrainian speaker and other than for some of the words being different, is really easy to understand in Russian because of his pronunciation and intonation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfWq51uXgTk
Finally, Nursultan Nazarbayev, President of Kazakhstan (since 1991) had an address almost as long as Lukashenko's, at slightly over 5 minutes. However, as Kazakhstan has both Kazakh and Russian as official languages, he made his speech first in Kazakh and then in Russian, so both of them are about 2 minutes 30 seconds. He's not a very charismatic man, so I put in the most exciting part of the video as the still.

Ententod
Apr 17, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

If the newspaper is good then editorial and advertising departments won't know which ads are running. Which is why this kind of stuff happens all the time online.

Ooh, I have one of these.

Headline: From Lüneburg to Auschwitz
Ad: E.ON provides for the gas of tomorrow - today!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ptk posted:

WW2 propaganda that emphasizes international solidarity in the struggle is kind of interesting.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

These are really beautiful. Some of them wouldn't look out of place in a tasteless ad campaign

And others are just :3:

KELNOR THE OVERWASP
Jul 1, 2005

CULTURAL IMPERIALIST.
ask me about being white and privileged in china

From an old and afaik short-lived magazine called Anarchy Comics.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

These are absolutely amazing, infrared is an amazingly strange medium that I've always wanted to try but I could never hope to achieve the poignance this photographer managed, truly a master.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Also, never forget :911:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Can he what? Burn with gasoline?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Any Barcelona goons in this thread? I'm in town from the 24th to the 4th. Wouldn't mind going for a beer or something. also let me crash at your place

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Aatrek posted:

Can he what? Burn with gasoline?

quote:

can
transitive verb \ˈkan\
cannedcan·ning

Definition of CAN

a: to put in a can : preserve by sealing in airtight cans or jars <can tomatoes>
b: to hit (a golf shot) into the cup
c: to hit (a shot) in basketball
: to discharge from employment
slang: to put a stop or end to

:spergin:

Also,

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 16, 2012

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
smallbusinessowner.jpg

So you aren't hiring for the next four years? Sounds like a solid business decision.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

It's pictures like this that make me hope other people look at this and go "Hmmm, maybe this whole privately owned capital thing isn't always beneficial to society."

Content:

Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, the first gay marriage

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Lamuella posted:

I don't know much about newspapers, but I think whoever books the ad space for the Rock Hill Herald in SC may be out of a job soon:

drat, I'm really close to Rock Hill, I think I'm going to pick one of these babies up.

edit: gently caress I'll get a pic up in a sec.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 16, 2012

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

ultimateforce posted:

smallbusinessowner.jpg

So you aren't hiring for the next four years? Sounds like a solid business decision.

Spite: Always a good business decision.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

A Soldier’s Story of World War I in Words and Pictures

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

j4on posted:

Yesssss finally photographers have found something even loving sillier than HDR to ruin their pictures with. Truly a golden age is upon us

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Yesssss finally photographers have found something even loving sillier than HDR to ruin their pictures with. Truly a golden age is upon us

But symbolism?
You don't understand art.

"degenerate 'art'", nazi propaganda

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Orange_Lazarus posted:

drat, I'm really close to Rock Hill, I think I'm going to pick one of these babies up.

edit: gently caress I'll get a pic up in a sec.

What time zone are those people in? Because I was watching TV all afternoon on Friday and CBS ended their coverage right when Ellen started.

edit: unless they cut back into it when Bieber was on, I changed the channel once Ellen came on. :shobon:

Mahuum Aqoha fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2012

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Nerkles, Nords, Nerds, Nobbits and Hoppo the Hippo.
-Illustrations and story by Dr. Seuss.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Lamuella posted:

I don't know much about newspapers, but I think whoever books the ad space for the Rock Hill Herald in SC may be out of a job soon:

A similar example of joined up journalism.

For non British people reading the thread, The sick perv spoofshow was a spoof about the British presses reaction to paedophilia. Which of course resulted in violent hate from precisely the same papers that were parodied in it and in this case a fine example of their hypocrisy from the Daily Star.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 17, 2012

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not sure if this is a subtle "gently caress you," or if these kids parents haven't had the "Americans are a little....different" talk with them.

Landfill in Karachi, Pakistan, where these kids pictures were taken. Karachi has one of the worst urban waste problems on the planet.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Moist von Lipwig posted:

These are absolutely amazing, infrared is an amazingly strange medium that I've always wanted to try but I could never hope to achieve the poignance this photographer managed, truly a master.

The video this gif is from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

Muy
Dec 11, 2005
MuyBurrito

BaconBits posted:

Nerkles, Nords, Nerds, Nobbits and Hoppo the Hippo.
-Illustrations and story by Dr. Seuss.

“I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues. I take the tongue from all I kill and give it to the trees.”

Humboldt squid posted:

Good job Photoshopping a cartoon character with a gun standing over a photo of a real-life dead human being you idiot. GOLD loving STAR.

EDIT: Go back to GBS. Go back to 4chan. Go back to whatever forum you come from where it's permissible to use the photograph of some other mother's son, no different from you save fate, lying dead and abandoned on the ground, a victim of the violence and mass insanity of war for a loving pop culture reference joke. Go back to whatever forum allows you the callousness to complete neo-colonialism's destruction of a human being with one final indignity, that allows you to demonstrate that even death can't save you from exploitation.

Muy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 17, 2012

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Muy posted:

“I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues. I take the tongue from all I kill and give it to the trees.”

Good job Photoshopping a cartoon character with a gun standing over a photo of a real-life dead human being you idiot. GOLD loving STAR.

EDIT: Go back to GBS. Go back to 4chan. Go back to whatever forum you come from where it's permissible to use the photograph of some other mother's son, no different from you save fate, lying dead and abandoned on the ground, a victim of the violence and mass insanity of war for a loving pop culture reference joke. Go back to whatever forum allows you the callousness to complete neo-colonialism's destruction of a human being with one final indignity, that allows you to demonstrate that even death can't save you from exploitation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
A very serious forum.

• Locked thread