Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
I'm looking for modern multiplayer games of any genre that have active custom map scenes and are not Starcraft 2. Basically like Brood War, Warcraft 3, UT2K4, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zotwoz posted:

I'm looking for modern multiplayer games of any genre that have active custom map scenes and are not Starcraft 2. Basically like Brood War, Warcraft 3, UT2K4, etc.

Do you have Killing Floor already? You should because it is cheap as poo poo and a great game to play with some buds(or try and corral sense into pubs).

It is a FPS zombie survival game where zombies come in waves and you kill them. There are a bunch of different types of zombies and then you buy a bunch of different guns for your classes while they are dead. At the end there is a big boss. Simple, and great.

Custom maps? KF has about a million, and more every day because a ton of people map for UT2k4. I probably have 200 hours or something KF and every time my friends and I boot it up we find some server running some new crazy poo poo. Giant long maps based off some insane fan fiction? Got it. Tons of legit good new maps in the style of the stock maps? Of course. Look for maps based on Super Mario levels? They exist. Defend a weed farm, fight in Mos Eisley from Star Wars, caves in Afganistan, or on the Moon.

Basically the maps and servers in KF have literally everything. There are maps that are giant playgrounds where you can race cars on a giant hotwheel track, or fight to death in a pit while people next to you try and complete a jumping puzzle. Some servers are modded to have some crazy slot system where every time you kill something it rolls a bunch of dice and gives you random poo poo. Some have cars and helicopters you can kill zombies with. Some have all of this. I have not seen such an active and bananas custom map since sense CS1.6

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Speaking of UT, the only game I had was the one for the Dreamcast which I loved. I have always been drawn to games like q3a, team fortress, and the like. Are modern Unreal games still fun like these other games I've listed?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Beardless Riker posted:

Speaking of UT, the only game I had was the one for the Dreamcast which I loved. I have always been drawn to games like q3a, team fortress, and the like. Are modern Unreal games still fun like these other games I've listed?

Fortunately for you, Unreal Tournament 1999 is still available on Steam and I am sure people are still playing it. They will push your poo poo in so far they actually push it all the way back out; but they are still playing. UT2004 was also pretty good, but I can't speak for UT3. Everyone seems to hate it, however!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Beardless Riker posted:

You could also try Quakelive which is a free version of quake 3 that you run from the browser. Personally, I've found the more recent Unreal games to not be nearly as much fun as the old UT99.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Looking for a game with team-based multiplayer, preferably 2-3 man teams and preferably not a shooter. Any suggestions? Was looking at MOBAs but they seem pretty intimidating. Platform is PC.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Geektox posted:

Looking for a game with team-based multiplayer, preferably 2-3 man teams and preferably not a shooter. Any suggestions? Was looking at MOBAs but they seem pretty intimidating. Platform is PC.

MOBAs are literally the biggest thing in gaming globally speaking right now so if you're willing to sink in the time it's probably worth it. League of Legends is pretty forgiving. I prefer Dota 2 but if you just want to jump in every once in a while LoL is probably the better choice since you get killed really quickly in Dota 2, stuns last forever, etc.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

MOBAs are literally the biggest thing in gaming globally speaking right now so if you're willing to sink in the time it's probably worth it. League of Legends is pretty forgiving. I prefer Dota 2 but if you just want to jump in every once in a while LoL is probably the better choice since you get killed really quickly in Dota 2, stuns last forever, etc.

I should mention that I'm asking because I have a couple of friends that want to game together. In the long run, which one will provide the most enjoyment for a group of complete newbs? I guess what I'm trying to ask is that which one is most dependant on group synergy and dynamic?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
This could just be my own bias but I'd say Dota 2. At least as of a few months ago when I last played there were some seriously devastating team compositions and even stuff you could do with just two or three people that would utterly crush most pubbies. I don't think either game would leave you dissatisfied though, they both reward team coordination, even more than shooters.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Heroes of Newerth is the better game, and subjective opinions aside, unlike DOTA2 it is also free to play, so there's no harm trying.

If you're new to the genre, then prepare to get yelled at a lot. Develop a thick hide in advance and/or learn the /ignore command. :) But if you're playing a group, then you have a pretty big advantage already.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Beardless Riker posted:

Unreal Tournament 3 is a fun game, and I wish people played it, but sadly nobody does. Like, nobody at all. You'd be lucky to find one server that wasn't filled with bots. Plus, the Bot AI is a major step backwards because on the harder difficulties they make your AI teammates suck balls and the enemy super good, making it literally impossible to win most matchups on a higher difficulty.

Now they'll probably never make another one. It's a real shame.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

pigdog posted:

Heroes of Newerth is the better game, and subjective opinions aside, unlike DOTA2 it is also free to play, so there's no harm trying.

If you're new to the genre, then prepare to get yelled at a lot. Develop a thick hide in advance and/or learn the /ignore command. :) But if you're playing a group, then you have a pretty big advantage already.

Dota 2 is free to play and doesn't have a hero unlocking system like LoL or HoN. It is by far the superior game in that regard.

Smite is a third person game based on the genre. Drastically different, but I found it fun for the two weeks I played it. It's even easier to get into than LoL, though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I want a Harvest Moon MMO. I want to grow turnips and sell turnips to other people and the only semblance of combat is hah gently caress you I undercut your turnips and my turnips are better quality so everyone is buying my turnips instead I win.

And I don't mean farmville :(

I suppose any manufacture and economy mmo might be fun... any decent ones out there? (that don't take a million hours to become established like Eve...)

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Can someone recommend me a dungeon crawler RPG that isn't too hard? I would prefer something that isn't loot driven like diablo.

Scambl
Jun 1, 2007

Anything you can do, Neil Gaiman can do better.

blackguy32 posted:

Can someone recommend me a dungeon crawler RPG that isn't too hard? I would prefer something that isn't loot driven like diablo.

Torchlight and Torchlight 2 are awesome, but I'm not sure if it's too loot driven. Also, Titan Quest is pretty good, but once again I'm not sure if it's too loot driven.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

If you haven't already, you should check out Legend of Grimrock.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

blackguy32 posted:

Sounds like Magicka would be right up your alley. It's only really fun if you play it multiplayer, but it can be extremely fun with the right people. It only has light RPG elements and very little in the way of loot, but other than that, it's very Diablo-ish.

The Yogscast guys did a let's play on it, I think it showcases the awesomeness and hilarity of the game quite well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZHhwUK8aj8

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I need an game I can sink a trillion billion hours into that isn't Fallout, TES, or the old Infinity Engine games.

Something with a bigass world I can just rummage around in. Doesn't even have to be an RPG, can be anything, so long as I can spend way more hours on it than a healthy young man should.

Edit: Oh, and it has to be available on PC. And not japanese.

Trier fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 16, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trier posted:

I need an game I can sink a trillion billion hours into that isn't Fallout, TES, or the old Infinity Engine games.

Something with a bigass world I can just rummage around in. Doesn't even have to be an RPG, can be anything, so long as I can spend way more hours on it than a healthy young man should.
Xenoblade. Or dark cloud 2.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Now that I have a PC than can actually run stuff passed 2007, what's the go to for FPS that are heavy in single player content. Stuff that will take more than a couple of hours to beat. I loved the old Painkiller/Serious Sam games. I do not like spooky-horror FPS like FEAR or Doom 3 where I have to turn up the brightness to max so I loving see.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Trier posted:

Any of the elder scrolls games sounds like what you need.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

Now that I have a PC than can actually run stuff passed 2007, what's the go to for FPS that are heavy in single player content. Stuff that will take more than a couple of hours to beat. I loved the old Painkiller/Serious Sam games. I do not like spooky-horror FPS like FEAR or Doom 3 where I have to turn up the brightness to max so I loving see.

Farcry 3 just came out and is supposed to be pretty cool.

Borderlands 2 is a lot of fun and I think the first one is on sale right now.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Osmosisch posted:

Any of the elder scrolls games sounds like what you need.

I probably should've avoided using abbreviations, sorry. "TES" stands for The Elder Scrolls.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Trier posted:

Paradox games - Europa Universalis 3 is the ultimate time sink.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Trier posted:

Civilization. (I think IV is the best)

"Just one more turn."

*Check clock: 4AM.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Trier posted:

If you don't mind Russian mostly, hit up The Precursors.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

V for Vegas posted:

Paradox games - Europa Universalis 3 is the ultimate time sink.

Oh poo poo yeah, I forgot that existed. totes gonna go install that again now, thanks bud.

chairface posted:

If you don't mind Russian mostly, hit up The Precursors.
That actually looks like a lot of fun.

Trier fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 16, 2012

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Trier posted:

I probably should've avoided using abbreviations, sorry. "TES" stands for The Elder Scrolls.

Ah, sorry, should have spotted that.

My largest timesinks recently have been Dark Souls PC, FTL and Far Cry 2. Each have a great action feedback loop that makes continued play fun for me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is there a PC/Android/PS1/PS2 game that does the same thing as Recettear, but preferably with less anime?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Trier posted:

Any of the STALKER games.

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
Recommend me RPGs goons!

I just finished up playing the Divinity II demo, and it gave me a pretty big itch. Is the anthology worth getting? I'm not 100% right now, but the demo was a whole lot of fun, just not too sure on the previous Divinity titles.

I'm also looking for RPGs similar to that, and the Witcher series. Have no idea how the Two Worlds games are, though apparently the first sucked balls. And is Kotor II worth playing?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Frozenfries posted:

Recommend me RPGs goons!

I just finished up playing the Divinity II demo, and it gave me a pretty big itch. Is the anthology worth getting? I'm not 100% right now, but the demo was a whole lot of fun, just not too sure on the previous Divinity titles.
Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are good retro games that may or may not be your bag, but yea, Divinity II with its expansion is great fun and well worth getting.

quote:

I'm also looking for RPGs similar to that, and the Witcher series. Have no idea how the Two Worlds games are, though apparently the first sucked balls. And is Kotor II worth playing?
Haven't played Two Worlds 2 (it's still sitting in my Steam library, uninstalled, since Summer Sale :ohdear: ) but KOTOR2 is well worth playing, even if it was released with unfinished parts of the story cut at last minute.

I'd also recommend Risen (haven't played the sequel yet). Read the BeforeIPlay page for useful tips.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 16, 2012

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Frozenfries posted:

Recommend me RPGs goons!

The Gothic series is pretty good, open world action rpg with unique and challenging combat.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Trier posted:

If you're up for a challenge, X3. Steep learning curve but once you figure it out, you can do anything you want, in space. Trade, pirate, bounty hunt, become a manufacturing corporation, blow poo poo up... I'm pretty sure Albion Prelude is the latest version and will have everything in it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

KOTOR 2 is totally worth playing, as long as you install the restoration mod. There's no reason not to at this point.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Frozenfries posted:

Recommend me RPGs goons!

Divinity II DKS is definitely worth getting if you enjoyed the demo. The first section is kind of slow but it picks up once you leave the initial area.

Both of the Witcher games are very good (although the second is better). Two Worlds was really generic once they finished patching it, but it was entertaining at least.

Electric Sheep
Dec 11, 2012

I'm the motherfucking sheep.

Frozenfries posted:

Recommend me RPGs goons!

The Witcher 2 is definitely worth the money. Everyone loves CD Projekt.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Tagra posted:

I want a Harvest Moon MMO. I want to grow turnips and sell turnips to other people and the only semblance of combat is hah gently caress you I undercut your turnips and my turnips are better quality so everyone is buying my turnips instead I win.

And I don't mean farmville :(

I suppose any manufacture and economy mmo might be fun... any decent ones out there? (that don't take a million hours to become established like Eve...)

No one had any suggestions for me so I thought I would throw out there that I'm trying Uncharted Waters Online. The interface blows, but so far it's kind of like playing Patrician, with skills to level up and options like fishing. There is combat, but traders get a lot of "oh poo poo don't fight" options. It remains to be seen how avoidable combat is later on, though.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Trier posted:

I've spent a lot of time on Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, X3, Crusader Kings II, and games similar to Heroes of Magic and Magic, such as the King's Bounty series or Eador - Genesis.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012
I think I'll definitely be picking up Divinity II and KOTOR II. I've already played through the Witcher games about a billion times along with reading the books so should've been more clear on that. Also yeah, I should look into the Gothic series already. Cheers for the suggestions!