Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
what the gently caress is that guys point? ramen might be cheap but flour and salt is cheaper and it's exactly the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
the point is: the guy's a mong

master of the sea
Apr 16, 2003

*skweeeeeee*
statpedia ... looking at for example instagram who were able to build a scalable multimillion social platform about dogs, cattes, lattes, people at the gym and fingernails without kickstarting their business, somehow they managed to develop, for and by themselves, in their spare time, various prototypes which they then, get this, tested, stripped down and killed off until they had something that felt right

why are you ian so set on doing this, how is statistics the next big thing? will high-schoolers all over the world post their favorite statistics such as how much does math suck?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dr. Honked posted:

the point is: the guy's a mong

the mong people have a rich culinary tradition; that guys just a tard

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
as a person with adult onset down syndrome, i

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

that guy is also 5'11" and weighs 100+kg or something. much of what he wrote was how eating makes him feel happy, and how having only ramen was making him depressed lol :btroll:

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Trig Discipline posted:

adult onset down syndrome

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah i picked up an extra chromosome from a toilet in panama

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

adult onset down syndrome,

lol'd for real

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

master of the sea posted:

statpedia ... looking at for example instagram who were able to build a scalable multimillion social platform about dogs, cattes, lattes, people at the gym and fingernails without kickstarting their business, somehow they managed to develop, for and by themselves, in their spare time, various prototypes which they then, get this, tested, stripped down and killed off until they had something that felt right

why are you ian so set on doing this, how is statistics the next big thing? will high-schoolers all over the world post their favorite statistics such as how much does math suck?

dude algorithms algorithms machine learning quantum mechanics algorithms intro to python handled

easy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Vicas posted:

dude algorithms algorithms machine learning quantum mechanics algorithms intro to python handled

easy

ruby on rails

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
machine learning is great because you can predict everything without understanding anything

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

you at least have to understand machine learning but it's not like PAC is hard or anything
well as long you don't use 3 layer NN or k-term DNF

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i meant without understanding anything about the phenomenon you're modeling. most of the high end methods in my field are machine learning and they do a great job of predicting patterns and a poo poo job of inferring the underlying biology

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

machine learning is great because you can predict everything without understanding anything

i have a coworker whose current project is training computers

no! bad computer! we don't do that with numbers!

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Trig Discipline posted:

i meant without understanding anything about the phenomenon you're modeling. most of the high end methods in my field are machine learning and they do a great job of predicting patterns and a poo poo job of inferring the underlying biology

machine learning as currently constituted is hot loving garbage b/c of the amount of training data needed to do anything useful

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

^law of large numbers isn't limited to data mining + there are repositories if you want to learn or you could just be a sperg about it

Trig Discipline posted:

well yeah, correlation isn't causation - machine learning is great for finding correlations but it isn't going to tell you exactly why a thing happens. you're still going to need domain knowledge

nobody got the PAC joke...

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
at my last job the boss got machine learning mixed up with distance learning and kept trying to get me to do one of those stanford online courses about machine learning

i kept telling him that it was entirely irrelevant for someone writing bank software in rails but he kept pulling a face and going "hrm, no, i really think you should learn this, it looks useful"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

TURBO BUTTON posted:

at my last job the boss got machine learning mixed up with distance learning and kept trying to get me to do one of those stanford online courses about machine learning

i kept telling him that it was entirely irrelevant for someone writing bank software in rails but he kept pulling a face and going "hrm, no, i really think you should learn this, it looks useful"

i went to college with someone who had to give a 20 minute presentation about security in online banking. he got confused over what a "firewall" was, and so spent 15 minutes talking about sprinkler systems and fire-proof building techniques

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Sweevo posted:

i went to college with someone who had to give a 20 minute presentation about security in online banking. he got confused over what a "firewall" was, and so spent 15 minutes talking about sprinkler systems and fire-proof building techniques

Banking.apk

Connection timed out: the server at https://mobile.bank.com/iPhone/androidapp.aspx cannot be found

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

hey i found a neat thing, not sure if it's new

http://kickstarter.com

press up arrow

you can find worthless kickstarters even faster now!

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

peepsalot posted:

hey i found a neat thing, not sure if it's new

http://kickstarter.com

press up arrow

you can find worthless kickstarters even faster now!

mongmode?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
that's a kinda neat thing i'll never use

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

believe in your dream, ian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQx_pJyyyxc

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

TURBO BUTTON posted:

bank software in rails
please say you're using NoSQL too

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
ian maclean, pronounced McClane, just like in that movie you know

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

craisins posted:

please say you're using NoSQL too

nah, although they were talking about using mongo when i left

go on then, tell me what's wrong with using a p language to write stuff used by a bank i'm just dying to hear why using something other than Ye Olde Language is doing it wrong

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
sure i can use a hacked together bunch of libs using python or use a well vetted and maintained language like c# in an enterprise setting

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
p languages are alright i guess if you just want something quick and dirty but nothing will ever match the warmth of a good java applet, or the raw fidelity and crisp undertones of a c++ executable

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
fyi im not trying to shaggar but youre a retard if you use anything except for c# in an enterprise setting

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR

0xB16B00B5 posted:

fyi im not trying to shaggar but youre a retard if you use anything except for c# in an enterprise setting

i was trying to ridicule ur post by mimicing it but settled for just quoting it outright

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
woOoooOOoooOOoo im the spectre of rock star developers and im here with my good buddy the ghostly brogrammer and we're gonna infect your codebase with memes and hipster libraries

edit: also anime bullshit for some reason

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
how many more times should i say "enterprise setting" before you get it

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
shaggared again

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

lol

You may not know him by name, but Eric Leebow is the man we can all thank for inventing social networking. At least, that's what he thinks.

Leebow is the man behind FreezeCrowd, a new website that's described as an interactive "college yearbook" with photo tagging and friends lists. Sound familiar? Facebook? Well, the only difference is that Leebow came up with the idea first. So he says. Could he be in Mark Zuckerberg's shoes right now? It's doubtful, especially with a video like this...

For over 11 years, Leebow has been trying to realize FreezeCrowd, pitching the idea to venture capitalists, schools and college students, and trying to find developers who would work for free. He's a self-proclaimed "visionary" hellbent on chiseling out a home in what he believes is rightfully his—the social networking webscape. Finally... his dream has come true.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-08-30/tech/30057567_1_social-networking-social-media-website-facebook

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

0xB16B00B5 posted:

sure i can use a hacked together bunch of libs using python or use a well vetted and maintained language like c# in an enterprise setting

note how he's using "well vetted and maintained" as a synonym for "copied java just enough to not get sued"

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stevemiles/scent

look at the rewards

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i just spat my keyboard into a bucket of mountain dew

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Dr. Honked posted:

Beep

Would you like to activate sticky keys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Honked posted:

• Locked thread