Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saboteur
Dec 25, 2005
My good friend Fink bought me this account for Christmas because he kicks ass.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That seems like a great parking situation. What does something like that cost per month?

I'm a member of one in NYC and it's $200 a month. It's great - there are group rides, track days, dirt days, mechanic clinics, etc. all organized and run through the garage's owner. On top of that we've got some basic garage staples like air compressors, trickle chargers and a lift to work on bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The Saboteur posted:

I'm a member of one in NYC and it's $200 a month. It's great - there are group rides, track days, dirt days, mechanic clinics, etc. all organized and run through the garage's owner. On top of that we've got some basic garage staples like air compressors, trickle chargers and a lift to work on bikes.

:aaaaa:

That's pretty awesome! I don't think there's anything like that in my country. :(

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Where's the SF one at? I live in the bay area and it'll probably come in handy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've seen some ads around for this place

http://motohaus-sf.com/

Dunno if it's what FuzzyWuzzyBear uses, but it seems like a good place. I considered signing up with them at one point, before my landlady agreed to let me park my bike in the gated-off breezeway for a little extra cash (lame, but very convenient and a third the price of the moto haus.)

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Dunno if it's what FuzzyWuzzyBear uses, but it seems like a good place. I considered signing up with them at one point, before my landlady agreed to let me park my bike in the gated-off breezeway for a little extra cash (lame, but very convenient and a third the price of the moto haus.)

That's the one. $125 a month and you get your own code to open the garage/deactivate the alarm. You can also pile all your poo poo around parking space. I currently have a textile jacket, textile pants, two helmets, two sets of gloves ,two sets of boots, one piece suit, and back protector hanging out around my bike. It's a 2 minute bike ride from my place so I bike there, gear up, go on a ride while leaving the bike in the parking space, then get back and bike home.

They also have rudimentary cleaning supplies, bathroom, etc.

Can't risk street parking where I live. Annoying as gently caress, have to move every few days, drunk people push the bike over...blah. Plus, I wouldn't be able to find replacement fairings for my weird rear end moto.

Edit: Should also mention that SF is notoriously bad for parking. People often pay $200-300+ a month for parking a car in a garage (usually after receiving several parking tickets and getting fed up).

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 13, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Speaking of replacement fairings...did the plastic repair work and continue to work? :v:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Speaking of replacement fairings...did the plastic repair work and continue to work? :v:

Continued to work! I'll have to visit you soon for doing a proper oil change and maybe a new front tire. Also to ride if you actually ride any of your bikes between working on them an selling them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Continued to work! I'll have to visit you soon for doing a proper oil change and maybe a new front tire. Also to ride if you actually ride any of your bikes between working on them an selling them.

I ride in just about every day! Just...not on weekends. :v:

We can work out a time over the next few weeks. Will be around some, gone some. You know where to find me :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

That's the one.

Sounds like a good place. I'll definitely look into them some more if I ever move deeper into the city and can't find/afford a place with a garage.

:argh: San Francisco street cleaners

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Here's an onboard video that does not have the usual lovely GoPro quality audio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F593ft_Aosc&hd=1

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Ugh, I miss my SF so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv45m67lB3A

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
While it's cool getting a better feel for how far over these guys are leaning & how fast they're moving from side to side, it's a bit annoying having 3/4 of the screen taken up by a person. Do people use those videos to learn body position or something?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Its a really easy place to mount a camera. It gives a good sense of speed vs front mount and you can see the rider moving around. The downsides are what you stated. I usually run a front and rear camera, which is a popular option. Rear cams are great to have running in case of a crash or a high side....

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

That's what my landlord did, until he decided he didn't want it there anymore and gave me three days notice to move it. Couldn't find parking for it, and a month of parking on the street later, I ran off some fuckface who had it hotwired and was trying to cold start it without the choke on.

I wish I was closer to that garage.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I never had real issues with street parking in North Beach. Someone knocked my KLR over once, and I got a ticket once because I was chained to a lamppost and dripping oil. Get a big chain that goes through your rear wheel and secures to your frame via the lock. Even better, get another motorcycle and lock them together.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

That is such a cool idea I want to use it despite having my own garage and living 1000 miles away.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

That's the one. $125 a month and you get your own code to open the garage/deactivate the alarm. You can also pile all your poo poo around parking space. I currently have a textile jacket, textile pants, two helmets, two sets of gloves ,two sets of boots, one piece suit, and back protector hanging out around my bike. It's a 2 minute bike ride from my place so I bike there, gear up, go on a ride while leaving the bike in the parking space, then get back and bike home.

They also have rudimentary cleaning supplies, bathroom, etc.

Can't risk street parking where I live. Annoying as gently caress, have to move every few days, drunk people push the bike over...blah. Plus, I wouldn't be able to find replacement fairings for my weird rear end moto.

Edit: Should also mention that SF is notoriously bad for parking. People often pay $200-300+ a month for parking a car in a garage (usually after receiving several parking tickets and getting fed up).

You think if I rented a few spaces I could live in one and keep my bikes in the others?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I would welcome a MotoHobo in the garage.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
This showed up in the "trending" list on my Google Plus feed:

Is this a common enough cause of accidents to warrant the number of times the photo's clearly been copied and reposted, complete with jpeg artifacts and bad cropping?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isadora_Duncan

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It's a private moto garage in a dense city - the best place to store gear for a lot of people (me included) is right next to my moto in the parking space. A one piece suit + boots + helmet + gloves + back protector takes up a decent amount of space in the small apartments typical of SF.

Have you ever had an issue with people messing with your poo poo?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Some fun dirt riding - http://youtu.be/4F_pAihamjE

Looks like a great place to a trials bike

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I would welcome a MotoHobo in the garage.

I'm picturing like this but with motorcycles. And a little less classy.

Edit: And kind of reversed too; more like living room in the garage than garage in the living room. And more like sleeping bed and camping stove than living room. This analogy's falling apart isn't it?

ought ten fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 14, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Look at him, just sitting there reading with those cars staring at him.

Hughmoris posted:

I'd imagine that there's a camera in there for security purposes.

Two of the GIS results for "FZ6 Wheelie"

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

That seems like a great parking situation. What does something like that cost per month?

I was doing that for a while up here in Everett. It took some looking around to find one with 24/7 access and vehicles with gasoline allowed. We got a 10x20 for $200/mo and were able to fit 5 bikes in it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Some kind of Buell with a ridiculous intake.

You think it's ridiculous until you see the stock breadbox intake.

Then it takes on a whole new conservative character.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

Nope, everybody seems chill at the garage. You can tell it's all enthusiasts that park there so I think everybody is on the same page. I don't even think twice about leaving my gear in there next to my bike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Went on a little ride today, and picked up five bottles of wine at a winery out in the country.

(Why did they put a winery at the end of a long gravel road? I'm still a little terrified of gravel after my accident).

On the way back, I found this river. I guess the level is way down.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Seattle Intl Motorcycle Show. Nothing really mind-blowing. Usual stuff. Some of the show bikes were cool, though.

Actually seeing the Triumph Trophy and that Honda abomination was interesting, though.

This this is so ugly

Full album:
http://imgur.com/a/tNGEA

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That goldwing is trying really hard to be a bagger. What special event are they putting on this year? I went two years ago when dudes were ~madd stuntin'~ on a couple monsters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anyone know what's going on at the top of the airbox just behind and above the filter? Like some sort of valve or something. The intake 'runner' itself is also amazingly long, almost like a car; I would've expected something much shorter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Showerhead type injectors.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So it has two sets of injectors? Seems bizarre to have a set before the throttlebody and a set immediately after.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's pretty common these days, gives better response in different parts of the rev range.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

So it has two sets of injectors? Seems bizarre to have a set before the throttlebody and a set immediately after.

Yup. Allows for better atomization at certain RPMs as well. You'll notice that there is a gap in the intake runner as well...the bike will raise or lower the end part of the runner in the airbox to get the ideal runner length under different conditions.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

Anyone know what's going on at the top of the airbox just behind and above the filter? Like some sort of valve or something. The intake 'runner' itself is also amazingly long, almost like a car; I would've expected something much shorter.

Here's a closer, shittier picture:

It's a secondary intake. My friend said that the lower intake is used most of the time and the second one moves down to cover the first. Apparently it provides more power or something. You can see the little lever-thing on the left side in the photo.

EE: We could push it down with our fingers. There's actually a gasket on the bottom of the second intake.

Slavvy posted:

Nothing spectacular at all. From what I remember, there was some pro racer talking, a Touratech video with some person narrating and a few other forgettable things.

E: This is my favorite picture:

None of those are DOT certified.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 16, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've always thought that there would be issues with airflow vortexes or some similar such science-y crap when the runners stuck so far into the airbox, but I guess it's not significant enough to be worth bothering with...the additional airbox capacity must be more worthwhile than making sure the air doesn't end up circulating in the airbox under the runners.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The principle is identical to variable-length runners in a car, just executed differently; I've never seen it in actuality though. I'll have to do some reading about the higher injectors though, it amazes me the benefits are enough that it overcomes the cost of adding an entire separate bank, wiring, airbox space etc etc

Cycle Asylum>Fuel injector science chat

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Cycle Asylum>Fuel injector science chat

Cycle Asylum>The Blind Leading the Curious

:v:

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

This this is so ugly

The K1600 GTL has been eating Honda's lunch in the Luxo-tourer market the past few years, so They're moving the oldwing's target more towards the harley demo for guys that want something nicer to cruise on. I know 5 guys that have already put deposits down on one. It's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

I can't stand this style of seat but other than that it's a cool hybrid of the XB and tuber/XR look.