Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arino couldn't beat half of Donkey Kong Country before he ran out of time last episode. Does he have any hope of clearing it on a second day?

The translation for this episode is by zari-gani, who spends her free time as a master cooper.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 631.31 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

And with this season 10 is cleared!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Oh thank goodness, that first part nearly killed me. Thanks for releasing these two so close together (and for everything prior).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chibs posted:

Oh thank goodness, that first part nearly killed me. Thanks for releasing these two so close together (and for everything prior).

The first part's been done for a week. We just didn't want to leave people hanging. Unlike the original viewers who had to wait two whole weeks to find out what happened...

For those curious that leaves us with four episodes between the premier and episode 101 that have had no translation at all. I can tell you that two are being worked on right now though there's no guarantee how long they'll take. There's plans for something special in the works and another challenge that is often discussed.

Donkey Kong Country was probably my favorite of the two parters that were left and that second part is just about perfect...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Why must you release part 2 right before I go to bed? :arghfist::(

Shock Trooper posted:

Actually, as it turns out Japan Arcade will NOT be closing, which is great news.
That's awesome news. Assuming someone else bought it, I hope they keep it the same since (going by how the people in the stream were talking) it and Family Fun Arcade are some of the last really good arcades around in the US.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So one of the 4 games remaining is "Layla." It looks like it could be one of the more interesting or one of the most boring episodes of Game Center CX. But seeing how it hasn't been translated yet, I don't know how to read that.

But I can be sure that there's no awesome guitar licks in the episode.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

So one of the 4 games remaining is "Layla." It looks like it could be one of the more interesting or one of the most boring episodes of Game Center CX. But seeing how it hasn't been translated yet, I don't know how to read that.

But I can be sure that there's no awesome guitar licks in the episode.

It could be just me but I like the Layla episode. It's one of those Arino versus a impossible game episodes. It's not as terrific as Ninja Gaiden but if you like seeing Arino struggle then you'll probably like it.

A quick break down of the games in the remaining four challenges of the first 100 (okay, 112):

Princess Tomato is an adventure game similar in game play to the mystery adventures they've been using in recent seasons. Lots of strange, quirky things in that game, if you haven't seen it before.

Mendel's Palace is an arcade-style action game that feels kind of like a puzzle game. Players yank panels in the floor to push monsters around and they have knock them into walls to kill them. You saw this game briefly in the Pokémon special.

Layla is a super-hard shooter where the levels are kind of Metroid-like. They start out small but become more maze like as the game progresses. I thought that this one might just be Arino being terrible at games so after watching the episode I tried to play it...

Super Gussen Oyoyo is a puzzle game involving building a bridge for a character out of falling blocks. The character moves on their own so you have to get things in their way, build steps, keep them out of harm, and not crush them as you drop the bricks. It's like Lemmings meets Tetris.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Princess Tomato is an adventure game similar in game play to the mystery adventures they've been using in recent seasons. Lots of strange, quirky things in that game, if you haven't seen it before.

I recently found a pristine cartridge-only copy of Princess Tomato for :10bux:. I played through it in a couple of sittings and it's pretty entertaining. Funnily enough, there were several jars in the game clearly labeled with the character for "sake" being referred to as "juice." I'm curious as to what else got toned down for the American release.

kimpira fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 16, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lmao at Nakayama trailing off when giving Arino advice. "If you conquer the barrels, you will.... *mumble mumble*"

Arino: "Ill what? Conquer the world?"

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

A quick break down of the games in the remaining four challenges of the first 100 (okay, 112):
There are only 4 untranslated episodes in the first 112 episodes? That's... Really incredible.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I wish there were a way to get bottles of that GCCX wine in the States.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I 100%ed DKC and I had no idea about that infinite lives bounce :aaa:

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012
I had conflicting feelings on using the "infinite" lives. On one hand, it was half assuring us that he'd beat the game no matter what. On the other hand... if he didn't do it, he probably would've been stuck on Snow Barrel Blast for another hour or so, until his Miracle Play kicked in.

Fantastic two episodes, though. It's one of the few episodes where I'm so into it that I'm mumbling "Now" when he's supposed to go.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Random Stranger posted:

Princess Tomato
Mendel's Palace
Layla
Super Gussen Oyoyo

Three of these are being worked on right now, all by different translators! Guess I'll do the fourth one.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Early on in the episode, Arino mentioned winning a Pajero. That reminded me that it's known as the Montero in Spain and the Americas, because pajero is Spanish for "wanker".

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Great episodes!

Since I was a kid I've always loving hated DKC1 (but DKC2 is one of my favorite games ever) and watching him be so bad at it makes me want to fire it up to see how fast I can blow through it. The only other time I felt like this was last summer and I wound up buying every classic Mega Man game on PSN and spending a week beating them all...thanks SAGCCX!

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I didn't have a Super Nintendo growing up, so I guess I missed out DKC's awesome music.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Three of these are being worked on right now, all by different translators! Guess I'll do the fourth one.

Noooo! I liked the episode you picked out for the next one even better!

Edit: I hadn't looked at my e-mail yet. People are going to love that...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 16, 2012

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MediaPlayerClassic posted:

if he didn't do it, he probably would've been stuck on Snow Barrel Blast for another hour or so, until his Miracle Play kicked in.

Honestly I was impressed none of the AD's told him about the level warp barrels that are at the beginning of most of the stages if I remember correctly. Didn't realize that you could get life by bouncing on enemies though.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

KildarX posted:

Honestly I was impressed none of the AD's told him about the level warp barrels that are at the beginning of most of the stages if I remember correctly. Didn't realize that you could get life by bouncing on enemies though.

I think warping tends to be a last ditch effort. It doesn't feel like it is in the spirit of the show, since it just means Arino could clear everything really quickly. And half the fun of watching DKC is remembering the parts that piss you off and watch as Arino suffers, or blows through them.

As for the infinite lives, that's really the only way to play DKC. I would go to level 1 and stock up on lives, just because getting through some of those levels was hard as balls.

Really, DKC is a really fair difficult platformer. There comes a point where you know what to do, and it is just a matter of doing it. But it rarely ever felt like bullshit when you lost. It was just simply you hosed it up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KildarX posted:

Didn't realize that you could get life by bouncing on enemies though.

There's so many extra lives packed into that game I think most of us didn't need to know that.

What drove me nuts when watching the episode is that Arino never figured out how to roll/cartwheel. That's how you get through half those enemies. That's how you make the hard jumps easy. It was like him never figuring out the spin jump in Mario World.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Really, DKC is a really fair difficult platformer. There comes a point where you know what to do, and it is just a matter of doing it. But it rarely ever felt like bullshit when you lost. It was just simply you hosed it up.

I disagree with that. I think the visual design obscured a lot of the game making things like the mine cart levels much harder than they should have been.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 17, 2012

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I'm stuck in a place where my connection doesn't allow me to torrent and something is wrong with the DepositFiles upload of DKC part 2. It only lets me download 641KB of the episode, then tells me it's finished. :psyduck:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Humongous Pear posted:

I'm stuck in a place where my connection doesn't allow me to torrent and something is wrong with the DepositFiles upload of DKC part 2. It only lets me download 641KB of the episode, then tells me it's finished. :psyduck:

I just downloaded something from depositfiles so I can't check it for an hour. Could someone just confirm that it continues past that point for them?

I suspect the problem is that Humongous Pear's connection is breaking it off since I've seen that problem before but I can't be certain...

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I was worried there for a second when Arino fell for the fake credits trick. Although really, the only reason he did was that they weren't in Japanese for some reason. Now I want to see how he'd do against Kaptain K. Rool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

I was worried there for a second when Arino fell for the fake credits trick. Although really, the only reason he did was that they weren't in Japanese for some reason. Now I want to see how he'd do against Kaptain K. Rool.

I loved when he started reaching cautiously for the controller. Arino's been burned too many times before.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I just downloaded something from depositfiles so I can't check it for an hour. Could someone just confirm that it continues past that point for them?

I suspect the problem is that Humongous Pear's connection is breaking it off since I've seen that problem before but I can't be certain...

It was something to do with Firefox and not the upload. I got it working in Chrome with no problems and it's now at 5% downloaded after a minute.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I was waiting for Arino to stumble across the secret in Snow Barrel Blast. I'm fairly sure that's how 95% of people beat that level for the first time.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I love Donkey Kong Country and it's probably one of my favorite games ever and I couldn't wait to see how Arino reacted to the fake ending, knowing him.

I was not disappointed.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Silentman0 posted:

I didn't have a Super Nintendo growing up, so I guess I missed out DKC's awesome music.
Retro Studios, who made the awesome Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii (as well as the awesome Metroid Prime games) actually created new versions a few songs from DKC (I dunno if they did songs from the sequels as well) and they came out amazing while not being full on remixes.

My personal favorite is Life in the Mines (which plays in 2-1 in the first game and one of the later levels in Returns).

Original Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcklfVCEAcg

Returns Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wvlp6qIGF0

I don't know which of the other other songs got recreated aside from the title theme (minus the old Donkey Kong song that plays at the beginning in DKC), Jungle Hijinx, and Fear Factory. I don't remember Fear Factory that well, but the other two are pretty much on par with Life in the Mines in terms of quality.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

victrix posted:

I 100%ed DKC and I had no idea about that infinite lives bounce :aaa:

To be fair, it's easy to assume that bouncing on top of him doesn't count since it doesn't actually damage him

Random Stranger posted:

What drove me nuts when watching the episode is that Arino never figured out how to roll/cartwheel. That's how you get through half those enemies. That's how you make the hard jumps easy. It was like him never figuring out the spin jump in Mario World.

Amusingly enough, he actually pulled off an accidental roll-jump during the falling platform segment which I never found out about until I read about it from a magazine

One thing that was kind of a shame was that they didn't show off Cranky's bitching at all, would've been funny seeing Arino's comments on some of those.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Thanks so much guys. But it's always so bittersweet to watch these since I keep getting reminded about the game that we'll never get.

Is this true despair?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

RadicalR posted:

Thanks so much guys. But it's always so bittersweet to watch these since I keep getting reminded about the game that we'll never get.

On that note, I think we've finally translated all the "making of the game" segments. Feels like the games have been in the making forever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Is this true despair?

I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong Country got released in the US. :v:

zari-gani posted:

On that note, I think we've finally translated all the "making of the game" segments. Feels like the games have been in the making forever.

You wouldn't believe how relieved I was when I finished that last Making the Game segment. Those things wound up being huge pains in the rear end. At least Catch a Copy has a consistent layout! :argh:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Random Stranger posted:

I'm pretty sure Donkey Kong Country got released in the US. :v:

Very funny. I was talking about RGC2. :mad:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I loved all the Making of Segments for the 2nd DS game. It makes me want to play the 2nd game again whenever I get a new DS. Hope to see the special where he plays the 1st DS game get subbed soon. Here is the raw for that special if you have yet to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQCHrM5gl0E

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

A reminder from Kan:

GCCX Event News: This time, instead of Akihabara Shuukaijo, the main event will take place on the second floor of the nearby Tsuu'un Kaikan! (Chiyoda-ku Soto Kanda 3-16-18) Don't make a mistake... There we will hold a charity bazaar with books provided by the staff and Arino. Please buy something. Proceeds go toward earthquake relief! #GCCX1222

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Is he made to beat(or attempt to beat) the first game? If so I'd definitely love to see that subbed.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

Is he made to beat(or attempt to beat) the first game? If so I'd definitely love to see that subbed.
Better: he has to take on challenges from various staff members.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

A reminder from Kan:

GCCX Event News: This time, instead of Akihabara Shuukaijo, the main event will take place on the second floor of the nearby Tsuu'un Kaikan! (Chiyoda-ku Soto Kanda 3-16-18) Don't make a mistake... There we will hold a charity bazaar with books provided by the staff and Arino. Please buy something. Proceeds go toward earthquake relief! #GCCX1222

I don't think I'd want any of Inoko MAX's books.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think I'd want any of Inoko MAX's books.

He probably has a couple wrestling and or dating books too though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
After watching part 2 (thank you guys once again for another awesome translation :)), I finally realized that DKC is probably one of the few games that's great at doing gimmick levels like the one where you have to collect gas barrels to power the train. If my backlog wasn't so loving huge right now and my retro gaming chair (the chair and games are in another room from the modern games) wasn't piled with random poo poo, I would likely be playing it right now. :(

Also, the reaction to the fake ending is easily one of the funniest moments of the show. It reminded me of the Castlevania 3 episode when Arino got to Dracula's third form when he thought he had two forms.