Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

SeanBeansShako posted:

This seems to be a big problem with TWC in general, for some insane reason they keep the information fort the mod as minimal as possible.

I mean if you can mod they why can't you take some screenshots and post them on the internet? or go into a little more detail!

Well for Call of Warhammer a large part of it is that the actual mod-creators are all Russian and don't really speak that much English. So really the presence on TWC is mostly fan translators and stuff, not really the modders themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Is the shogun 2 avatar campaign really buggy? I just started a few days ago and went around 20-0 so far but the avatar score page just reset. I'm still in the same ladder spot but it's showing everything else as 0.

It started after a game that randomly decided to start while I was still making my army. The timer was at 60 and not moving but all of a sudden it started and I know I didn't hit ready. Anyone else run into this?

Also is having a lot of cavalry looked down upon or was the person I was playing just whining? My army wasn't all cavalry or anything, maybe half.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rabhadh posted:

I wouldn't mind if they just leave out Elves because they're the most generic part of the game.

They really aren't. The wood elves are insane xenophobic mutants in a symbiotic relationship with their magic psychic forest, the high elves are murderous dicks who think every other race is barely better than an animal and will happily wipe out entire human settlements because some child took a piss on a rock that used to be part of an abandoned high elf city. The dark elves are boring Always Chaotic Evil but used to be much more interesting as they're basically fantasy Industrial Revolution capitalists.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They really aren't. The wood elves are insane xenophobic mutants in a symbiotic relationship with their magic psychic forest, the high elves are murderous dicks who think every other race is barely better than an animal and will happily wipe out entire human settlements because some child took a piss on a rock that used to be part of an abandoned high elf city. The dark elves are boring Always Chaotic Evil but used to be much more interesting as they're basically fantasy Industrial Revolution capitalists.

Also, the wood elves are hinted to be manipulating the Arthurian-France kingdom as a meat shield through the "Lady of the Lake", who is the central figure of the kingdom's religion.

Even then, whenever the wood elves hold a wild hunt, they murder everyone in their way. This includes the Bretonnians despite their "allied" status, so it's a really weird relationship. Definitely one of those alliance blocs that could use a personalized touch.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 12, 2012

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Trujillo posted:

Also is having a lot of cavalry looked down upon or was the person I was playing just whining? My army wasn't all cavalry or anything, maybe half.

The pubbies are all whiny idiots so just ignore what the say and do what you want.

e: I played multi-player for the first time in ages about a month back and i just had a dude (who was about 10 levels higher than me or some poo poo) camping at the top of a hill going "you attack" "I no attack you attack". And I just kept saying "nah I'm happy to wait" while flanking him with cavalry which he could see but he just sat there and did nothing at all until I charged him from behind and he ragequit.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 12, 2012

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Is it too much to ask that the Lizardmen get in the game? They were my favourite race by far.

Their generals are giant floating frogs who destroy everyone with magic!

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Trujillo posted:

It's been a while since I played but I found most people were fine. I spent the vast majority of what I had on cavalry and then spent the rest on ashigaru. Suicide the infantry, flank with the cavalry. Most people were fine about it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its amazing how unprepared most people are for getting flanked with more than 1 unit of cavalry and how many don't react until seconds before their general is about to die.

The ability to give generals revolvers has dampened general stabbing somewhat but in vanilla Shogin 2 I got 90% of my wins through flanking with 2 units of yari cav and splitting the guys attention between the main battle line and my yari cav dancing in and around his general. Either he fucks up the main battle because of he can't multitask or he leaves his general vulnerable and gets him stabbed.

The best was the guys who split their armies in half to deal with those 2 units of yari cavalry. Not only can't his stupid ashigaru actually catch the cavalry but now he's outnumbered so badly there's no way he can win the main battle.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Whats the proper way to make use of matchlocks? I've recently got the Otomo dlc and have started using matchlocks for the first time in the Sengoku campaign and I can't seem to use them properly. They just seem to be generally inferior to bows, especially bow samurai/monks. They cant fire at the enemy without line of sight, they have shorter range and fire more slowly. The morale damage is nice, but even with rank fire, they cant seem to get more than one volley off before I have to retreat them. Bows can basically keep firing at stuff for the entire duration of the battle, matchlocks seem to only be useful occasionally.

I'm not trying to argue that matchlocks are crap or anything, I just honestly want to know how I should be using them properly. The tactics I've learned from Napoleon or FOTS don't seem to apply to the traditional matchlock units.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Use them to shoot at the enemies sides and rear when they are engaged in a melee, or turn skirmish on and draw them into say heavy cav hiding in a forrest on top of a hill.

They are brilliant at holding fort walls too.

Consider them support.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dramicus posted:

Whats the proper way to make use of matchlocks? I've recently got the Otomo dlc and have started using matchlocks for the first time in the Sengoku campaign and I can't seem to use them properly. They just seem to be generally inferior to bows, especially bow samurai/monks. They cant fire at the enemy without line of sight, they have shorter range and fire more slowly. The morale damage is nice, but even with rank fire, they cant seem to get more than one volley off before I have to retreat them. Bows can basically keep firing at stuff for the entire duration of the battle, matchlocks seem to only be useful occasionally.

I'm not trying to argue that matchlocks are crap or anything, I just honestly want to know how I should be using them properly. The tactics I've learned from Napoleon or FOTS don't seem to apply to the traditional matchlock units.
It would have been better to have proximity to targets influence the damage and accuracy, but not, thanks to "balance". There might be mod to add that and really show what concentrated fire does to the enemy.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Information about Carthage has been released now. I wonder how the mercenary system will work now. Has it been in any game since Medieval 2?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
From the wording about Carthage's political parties, I'm now confident that it and Rome's family system are basically "background perk" choices for your faction. Hopefully they also mean that each family/party not only give you different bonuses, but also different objectives and penalties for failure/power checking.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lovely to see the bug that crashes the game when you click on a piece of the campaign UI is still around. Top notch.

Now to wait seven minutes to warm up the game to reload instead of ten!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

From the wording about Carthage's political parties, I'm now confident that it and Rome's family system are basically "background perk" choices for your faction. Hopefully they also mean that each family/party not only give you different bonuses, but also different objectives and penalties for failure/power checking.

This is basically the best way of doing those things. Way, way better than having multiple actual factions like R:TW did.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For anyone who played Empire with Darthmod: are naval battles supposed to be boring shitshows? I suppose I get basic naval combat theory: line your fleet up and concentrate your fire; but your ships have this dumb tendency to sail right into the enemy if you right-click-attack on them, even if they're in cannon range. Thus, I can't focus fire without manual control and broadsides, and microing each ship into position is really slow and doesn't really have much of a payoff compared to just using the biggest ships and zerging the enemy with them.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

toasterwarrior posted:

For anyone who played Empire with Darthmod: are naval battles supposed to be boring shitshows? I suppose I get basic naval combat theory: line your fleet up and concentrate your fire; but your ships have this dumb tendency to sail right into the enemy if you right-click-attack on them, even if they're in cannon range. Thus, I can't focus fire without manual control and broadsides, and microing each ship into position is really slow and doesn't really have much of a payoff compared to just using the biggest ships and zerging the enemy with them.

I think alt-click or ctrl-click, one of the two, designates enemies as "primary targets" so that your ships will shoot who you want them to shoot (when possible) without charging off directly towards them.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Keep in mind the AI is trying to use both sides of cannons efficiently when you normally select a single target with a formation. It tries to angle the approach so it can turn and unleash both broadsides on the target.

That is pretty smart, but CA really should have had a button for that as a seperate thing. It does a while for them to set up and due to the fact that the default values make the sailors incredibly wimpy and the ships made of petrol soaked match wood leads to complete frustration as you lose half your fleet.

Follow the advice from Tomm.

Best thing really is to have a line for all the positioning support with the classic crossing the 'T' to distract the AI and then dedicate the rest of the fleet to indepdent quicker ships for boarding and independent harassment.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I didn't know about the "primary targeting" shortcut; that'll be very useful. Thanks to both of you!

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:
Hey TWGoons, it's been a while. I'm working on a super effort historical mockup of the Shogun 2 campaigns and I'm trying to find some high resolution versions of the province maps without the numbers on the provinces and all that jazz. Even better would be the in-game 2d Fog of War/Shroud map because it's gorgeous. I've already sifted through about 100 pages of google images as well as the twcenter forums (ew) and I'd really appreciate any help you can offer with finding these maps.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of Shogun 2 maps, anyone had that weird bug where the camera angle for zooming in on ship battles sticks around afterwards and never goes away?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Dryer Lint posted:

Hey TWGoons, it's been a while. I'm working on a super effort historical mockup of the Shogun 2 campaigns and I'm trying to find some high resolution versions of the province maps without the numbers on the provinces and all that jazz. Even better would be the in-game 2d Fog of War/Shroud map because it's gorgeous. I've already sifted through about 100 pages of google images as well as the twcenter forums (ew) and I'd really appreciate any help you can offer with finding these maps.

If you want to get a map of historical late-Muromachi/Sengoku Japan, people in the Japan thread would probably know where to look. I don't know whether anything is gonna be identical to the campaign map but I'd guess it'll be pretty similar.

e: How big are you looking for though? There are scaled up versions of that map online; photoshopping out the numbers would take very little effort.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 16, 2012

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:

Koramei posted:

If you want to get a map of historical late-Muromachi/Sengoku Japan, people in the Japan thread would probably know where to look. I don't know whether anything is gonna be identical to the campaign map but I'd guess it'll be pretty similar.

e: How big are you looking for though? There are scaled up versions of that map online; photoshopping out the numbers would take very little effort.

I think outlining the borders, applying autistic ink and oil filters, and erasing the numbers on the scaled up version worked out pretty well.
http://imgur.com/0qL8U
http://imgur.com/hJM6f
But I'd still rather have the Fog of War/Shroud map because it has pretty symbols as well as room to slap on more pretty things.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to get back into Shogun 2 but I've run into an incredibly irritating bug where the game doesn't fully capture the mouse. To clarify, I'm running dual monitors and instead of scrolling in game when I move my mouse to the side it moves to the other monitor. Has this happened to anyone else and for the love of all that is holy do you have a fix? A cursory googling suggests I install some third party stuff I've never heard of.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

The Walker posted:

I'm trying to get back into Shogun 2 but I've run into an incredibly irritating bug where the game doesn't fully capture the mouse. To clarify, I'm running dual monitors and instead of scrolling in game when I move my mouse to the side it moves to the other monitor. Has this happened to anyone else and for the love of all that is holy do you have a fix? A cursory googling suggests I install some third party stuff I've never heard of.

Use WASD to navigate.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The Walker posted:

There is a program you want called Cursor Lock that will prevent it. I have dual monitors and its 50-50 if any given game locks the mouse to one screen or not.

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007
I've just got back into playing Fall of the Samurai and decided to try out some of the mod packs to spice things up. I'm currently using Radious' mod which is great except that every unit has enough morale to face down anything short of a charging Tyrannosaurus. This makes the battles a big slog with no chance of using unit positionig to cause a rout. Is there anyway to lower the morale of the units from his unit packs? Everything else about the modpack is pretty fun so far.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Mr.Sloth posted:

I've just got back into playing Fall of the Samurai and decided to try out some of the mod packs to spice things up. I'm currently using Radious' mod which is great except that every unit has enough morale to face down anything short of a charging Tyrannosaurus. This makes the battles a big slog with no chance of using unit positionig to cause a rout. Is there anyway to lower the morale of the units from his unit packs? Everything else about the modpack is pretty fun so far.
I don't know how to change that but I was wondering if I'm the only one who finds that the unit pack is overkill. There's so many units that just seem to have tiny stat differences. Some of the elite units with abilities are nice, but overall it's just too much for me. My main unit production city has something like 8 rows of units to choose from and they switch positions every god drat time I open the unit panel.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
In a time period where trade managed to fuel an empire spanning three continents, it's astounding how bad the AI is at keeping their ports open in Empire. Having a monopoly on ivory isn't amounting to much if every trade partner I have can't bother to protect their ports; hell, I get more money by not trading with certain nations since their fleets prioritize blockading the other guy instead of clearing their own harbours.

EDIT: Game loving crashed again during an important fight. drat shame, I love the time period but this isn't a good way to experience it. Guess I'll just have to wait for EU4 at this rate.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 17, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I keep having vague hopes some dedicated modder with the new tools writes up something so Empire and Napoleon can be modded just as well as Shogun 2.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Still in the mood to watch virtual people stand in lines and shoot each other, but I'm still burned out on FoTS. Shogunate posted some impressions on the Otomo DLC's Tercos and Donderbuss cavalry, but I'm interested in seeing if Otomo Matchlock Samurai can function as "line infantry". I'd use Tercos, but seeing how CA half-assed their implementation is kind of a bummer.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I keep having vague hopes some dedicated modder with the new tools writes up something so Empire and Napoleon can be modded just as well as Shogun 2.

Has gibbed given it a try?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Still in the mood to watch virtual people stand in lines and shoot each other, but I'm still burned out on FoTS. Shogunate posted some impressions on the Otomo DLC's Tercos and Donderbuss cavalry, but I'm interested in seeing if Otomo Matchlock Samurai can function as "line infantry". I'd use Tercos, but seeing how CA half-assed their implementation is kind of a bummer.

Those where just multiplayer impressions, in single player they're great! Hell anything is great in single player with the AI throwing it's troops straight into a yari spear wall. And Otomo Matchlock Samurai are just like every other clan "upgraded" unit, having slightly better stats than their regular counterparts. If you are going to do the line infantry aproach go with the Tercos.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Shogunate posted:

Those where just multiplayer impressions, in single player they're great! Hell anything is great in single player with the AI throwing it's troops straight into a yari spear wall. And Otomo Matchlock Samurai are just like every other clan "upgraded" unit, having slightly better stats than their regular counterparts. If you are going to do the line infantry aproach go with the Tercos.

Ah, the way the DLC page worded it, it sounded like Otomo Matchlock Samurai were good enough at both shooting and stabbing that you were meant to fire off a few volleys and then counter-charge with them. Thanks for the heads-up, I was about to sink $5 into the game again but I think I'll consider an alternative instead.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 18, 2012

Mr.Sloth
May 20, 2007

Vodos posted:

I don't know how to change that but I was wondering if I'm the only one who finds that the unit pack is overkill. There's so many units that just seem to have tiny stat differences. Some of the elite units with abilities are nice, but overall it's just too much for me. My main unit production city has something like 8 rows of units to choose from and they switch positions every god drat time I open the unit panel.

I agree. Usually what happens is I only use two or three of those available for my main line as there is little difference between units. The mod could probably do with some thinning down of its roster.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
New video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m4IJ0wEtt4 , apparently there will be forty units that you command but I wonder if that is only the case when naval and land forces are combined.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Why are they going on and on about Carthage? It'll be one single Historical Battle at best, not the meat of the game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Why are they going on and on about Carthage? It'll be one single Historical Battle at best, not the meat of the game.

They are going to be a seperate faction in the campaign too.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Lord Tywin posted:

apparently there will be forty units that you command but I wonder if that is only the case when naval and land forces are combined.

Fall of the Samurai had support for commanding up to 40 units at once, so that'll probably apply to normal land battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Release is still a long way off, I doubt any of the other factions are fleshed out to nearly the same extent. I am really curious what the others will be though; I'd love it if they went as far as India.